I'll never have one! 22 55.00%
Very cool! But more then I'll ever need. 11 27.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14th January 2007, 00:01   #1
webthing
Forum King

iPhone

Wow!
I'm not a apple mac fan........ but here it is.
Very, very nice.

*****Recommended viewing*****

iphone keynote speech live DEMO

need Quicktime

Very Cool!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apple unveils iPhone

After more than two years in the making, Apple CEO Steve Jobs Tuesday announced the company’s intention to enter the mobile handset market, unveiling the new Apple iPhone. The iPhone brings together several features of the iPod, digital camera, smart phones and even portable computing to one device, with a widescreen display and an innovative input method.

“Every once in a while a revolutionary product comes along that changes everything,” Jobs said.

Featuring a new input technology called “Multi-Touch” the iPhone features only a single physical button, called “home.” You control the phone by sliding a finger across its touch-sensitive 3.5-inch display, which has a resolution of 320-by-480 pixels at 160 pixels-per-inch display.

The iPhone, which runs Mac OS X, has full iTunes integration and can seamlessly sync data with a Mac, PC, or Internet service, including music and videos from iTunes, contacts, calendars, photos, notes, bookmarks and e-mail accounts.

The 0.46-inch (11.6-millimeter) thick device weighs 4.8 ounces (135 grams) and sports a 2-megapixel camera, volume control, ring-silent switch, 3.5-millimeter headset/audio jack, SIM tray, “sleep-wake” switch, speaker, microphone, and a 30-pin iPod dock connector. The quad-band GSM (850MHz, 900MHz, 1800MHz, and 1900MHz) + EDGE phone also has 802.11b/g Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 2.0 capabilities. Jobs noted 3G capabilities will come in the future.

Three smart sensors also help control the iPhone’s behavior. A proximity sensor shuts down the display and touchscreen when the phone is held to the ear. An ambient light sensor automatically adjusts screen brightness to save power. Meanwhile, an accelerometer lets the phone know whether to display in portrait or landscape mode.

Despite the phone’s revolutionary features, Jobs claimed that the phone’s strongest feature was its redefinition of how calls are made.

“We want to reinvent the phone,” Jobs said. “What’s the killer app? The killer app is making calls. It’s amazing how hard it is to make calls on phones. We want you to use contacts like never before.”

A Visual Voice-mail feature allows users to skip directly to voice mails they want to hear. An easy-to-use conference call feature lets users connect two calls with one touch of the screen. Text messaging on the iPhone is similar to iChat, with user dialogue encased in bubbles and with familiar iChat sounds, and a touch keyboard appears below for entering text.

The iPhone uses its Wi-Fi and EDGE capabilities to automatically connect to the Internet. Internet connectivity includes HTML-capable e-mail that works with any IMAP or POP3 e-mail service. Jobs also announced that Yahoo will offer free push e-mail—similar to the e-mail system on a Blackberry—to all iPhone customers.

Apple also included its Safari web browser, and the phone can use its Internet capabilities to view standard Web pages, rather than WAP versions of pages. Integrated Google Maps functionality lets users look up locations, search for local businesses, and view satellite imagery. The iPhone also supports Dashboard widgets, and Apple announced it will include weather and stock widgets.

The iPhone’s photo management features are equally interesting. Its software enables users to use a “pinching” motion to zoom in and out of pictures, and to orient pictures in standard or landscape mode. When playing music, the iPhone can automatically adjust levels up or down as calls come in.

The iPhone will come in two versions: a 4GB, $499 model and an 8GB, $599 model. Both will require a two-year contract with Cingular, the exclusive U.S. carrier. Both models will be available beginning in June from Apple Stores and from Cingular.

Jobs said Apple plans to bring the iPhone to Europe in the fourth calendar quarter of 2007, and to Asia in 2008. Jobs also mentioned two accessories for the iPhone: stereo headphones with integrated microphone, and a Bluetooth headset that pairs automatically with the iPhone and goes to sleep to preserve battery life.

macworld.com/news/2007/01/09/iphone

Apple seeks to redefine phone
Its iPhone lets users listen to music, watch video and surf the Web.

By Michelle Quinn, Times Staff Writer
January 10, 2007

SAN FRANCISCO — In a sign of its growing clout as an entertainment player, Apple Computer Inc. dropped "computer" from its name Tuesday and unveiled two devices that promise further upheaval in the rapidly changing media industry.

The long-anticipated iPhone combines a mobile phone, an iPod and a hand-held Internet device, allowing users to listen to music, watch video, surf the Web and make phone calls from almost anywhere — potentially changing the flow of information the way the iPod revolutionized the distribution of music.

Apple also introduced a $299 device called AppleTV that wirelessly whisks movies and TV shows downloaded off the Internet to televisions, a key link necessary for online media to grow.

Taken together, the two announcements solidify Apple's role as a new kind of media conglomerate — "a digital lifestyle company," said one analyst. Apple's iTunes is one of the largest music retailers, eclipsed only by mass-market stores such as Best Buy and Wal-Mart.

latimes.com/iPhone

http://www.apple.com/iphone/phone/
webthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 00:24   #2
Razzinno
Piffle Producer

Forget it. Flat screen with no buttons? Ever try to use a remote control with no buttons? I don't need a device that you constantly have to be looking at to use it. What happens when you scratch that screen? Will one of the buttons be permanently pressed?

The great thing about it is, it will blend!
Razzinno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 00:30   #3
Vie
Forum King

Location: Thoron fields and Duranium shadows. Posts: Crap mostly
I already have a Palm, and I don't want a Phone, so I already have the features I want anyway.

Member most in need of SpellCheck Lifetime Achievement Award

I'm a Twitch Streamer these days, it's weird.
Vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 00:36   #4
sgtfuzzbubble011

NOT impressed.
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 01:01   #5
DrO

wtf is this doing as a sticky??

overrated and overpriced though i'm sure the apple fanboys will be getting it (like normal)

if it wasn't for the size of it (which wasn't too bad), i'd still be using my 3310. all a phone should do is be able to make calls. what's the point of relying on one device for everything since you've screwed if the all in one device fails and you don't have the individual parts...

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 01:05   #6
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Send a message via AIM to SSJ4 Gogitta
BUT DOES IT MAKE PHONE CALLS?!

I'd rather buy a playstation 3.

SSJ4 Gogitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 01:06   #7
webthing
Forum King

You need to watch the live DEMO to get the full effect and easy of use.
But other than that...... like said I'm not an apple fan.
But I was slightly impressed.
webthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 01:08   #8
. - .... .- -. ....
Backpacking

Send a message via ICQ to . - .... .- -. .... Send a message via Yahoo to . - .... .- -. ....
Looks pretty in the picture. BUT, have you ever tried to look at a touch screen with a weeks worth of fingerprints on it?? Imagine trying to read phone numbers through latent prints?

In addition, the entire front of this thing is a glass touchscreen, so how much flexing do you think it will tolerate before it cracks in your pocket?

And the SMS keypad looks iffy to say the least. My finger can easily span 4 or 5 of the keys displayed. Predictive text or not, it would be heartbreaking typing out a message on it.

As a concept, yes, it is a beautiful piece of technology. It's just not practical yet for the average working person.

Like my photography? Buy some here....
. - .... .- -. .... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 01:09   #9
Wolfgang
Forum King

But it's pretty! And it's a guaranteed attention magnet for the first ten minutes you're the only person you know with one.

I agree with razzinno, I need the buttons. I don't like having to look at the damn thing constantly. I'm quite happy with my nokia 6100 and Tesco mobile pay as you go with 5p texts. All I need.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 01:10   #10
psycho_maniac
Major Dude

i already have a mp3 player. i already have a phone. i already have a computer. i don't mind having all three separate. my cell phone company probably wont have that iphone anyways. that don't bother me one bit.
psycho_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 01:11   #11
skryingbreath
Post initializing...

I'd rather masturbate with battery acid.
skryingbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 01:15   #12
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by skryingbreath
I'd rather masturbate with battery acid.
that we can arrange for you (i'm sure chev has some laying around we can use )

-daz
Old 14th January 2007, 01:21   #13
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
Big, expensive and locked in with a shitty carrier. I really every every other fucking county besides the US, they kick out ass with Cell Phones.

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 01:38   #14
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
that we can arrange for you (i'm sure chev has some laying around we can use )

-daz
I used the last of the battery acid etching my nipples last week, sorry
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 02:00   #15
DrO

damn, missed out on the fun of that (which is more fun than having an iphone i think )

-daz
Old 14th January 2007, 04:24   #16
squakMix
wwwyzzerdd
(Forum King)

One question: can it play internet radio streams?

edit: Nevermind, of course it's Wi-Fi
squakMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 04:41   #17
dlichterman
Forum King

Yeah or I could just keep Sprint whose data network is broadband speeds....which I already get on my phone.

Software is like sex: It's better when it's free.-*-If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0-*-Guess the band from pics game
dlichterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 11:05   #18
zootm
Forum King

Looks like a very cool interface, but they've artificially locked out all of the real potential. Upsetting because it looks like an awesome device.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 11:34   #19
Razzinno
Piffle Producer

The thing is, there are already devices similar to it on the market already. This thing won't be in consumers' hands for another 6 to 12 months.
Old 14th January 2007, 11:38   #20
zootm
Forum King

Well, yes, it's an evolution not a revolution. The main selling point is the interface, which is significantly different to older systems.

Old 14th January 2007, 12:04   #21
ertmann|CPH
Forum Viking
(Forum King)

I recon it'll be Nano all over again, atleast 1G
ertmann|CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 12:30   #22
Razzinno
Piffle Producer

Assuming they keep the name.
Old 14th January 2007, 12:44   #23
MStar
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to MStar Send a message via AIM to MStar Send a message via Yahoo to MStar
Apparently the iPhone isn't all it's cracked up to be.
Apple also sold the iPhone's soul to the Cingular devil. Cingular's modifying their network for the iphone's functions, and apple themselves said it won't be available unlocked or for use on any other GSM carrier.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...2007/1/11/6592

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/...ked-questions/

MStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 18:01   #24
mysterious_w
Forum King

I like my phones to have buttons.

mysterious_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 18:09   #25
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by mysterious_w
I like my phones to have buttons.
If you use the term "tactile feedback", you can look 80% smarter

Old 15th January 2007, 00:54   #26
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

The MP3 player market was quite flimsy and open to a huge product entry when they jumped into it with the iPod. They were able to lock down that market nicely with an acceptable product and fantastic marketing. The smartphone market, however, is already unindated with choices of very good products using standardized operating platforms such as Palm and Windows Mobile. I doubt their iWhateverThePhoneWillBeCalled will dominate in any way similar to the iPod. And this time the product will have to be spectacular in order to gain any respectable market share; whereas the world was just "ready" for the iPod, even if the product sucked.

Anyway, the thing doesn't come close to my Treo 700wx.

(Oh, and Cisco is suing over the name, on which they have a patent.)

I'm a psychosomatic sister running around without a leash.
ScorLibran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2007, 01:01   #27
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

Quote:
Originally posted by zootm
Well, yes, it's an evolution not a revolution. The main selling point is the interface, which is significantly different to older systems.
Looks about 90% similar to my XDA Orbit.
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2007, 01:33   #28
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
Quote:
Originally posted by ScorLibran
They do? Is it one of their voip phones?

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2007, 02:09   #29
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
Quote:
Originally posted by sgtfuzzbubble99
NOT impressed.
QFT, my motorola a1200 does everything that does except edge...

apple is barely even trying anymore it seems like...

do they really expect this to take off?
do they really think it'll make people say : oh my god, i don't hate apple anymore! i need one!

cause it's not going to...

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.
Too-DAMN-Much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2007, 13:12   #30
tuckerm
Forum Emo

Quote:
Originally posted by k_rock923
They do? Is it one of their voip phones?
Yeah
tuckerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2007, 14:24   #31
cooky560
Major Dude

Send a message via MSN to cooky560 Send a message via Yahoo to cooky560 Send a message via Skype™ to cooky560
since my 2year old 3g cellphone is more advanced, smaller has a better camera and a changeable battery, I don't think I will get one thanks

Cooky560 - Making Pointless Posts since 8/12/ 2002

WWW.
Victory Requires no explanation, defeat allows none.
All that Evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing
cooky560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2007, 16:54   #32
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
The smartphone market, however, is already unindated with choices of very good products using standardized operating platforms such as Palm and Windows Mobile. I doubt their iWhateverThePhoneWillBeCalled will dominate in any way similar to the iPod. And this time the product will have to be spectacular in order to gain any respectable market share; whereas the world was just "ready" for the iPod, even if the product sucked.
You're seriously going to attribute the iPod's success to mostly good timing and maybe a little excellent marketing? Scor, seriously, I know the iPod doesn't fit your ideal of an audio player (being the audiophile-type that you are), but will you just look at the thing? The iPod may have sucked in the ways you consider important, but it was extremely nice in the ways the market considers important.

Quote:
Anyway, the thing doesn't come close to my Treo 700wx.
Sure it doesn't. It's only got, you know, several times the storage capacity, a significantly better (multitouch!) interface, a better camera, a much, much higher resolution (and bigger) screen, bluetooth 2.0, integrated Wifi, an actually usable web browser (though, knowing you, you've probably done something crazy like install Opera Mobile on it ), a better form factor (no antenna sticking out, so it's more pocket-friendly), not to mention the iPod-like functionality, all for the same price as the Treo 700wx when it first came out.

Whereas the Treo 700wx has an SDIO slot (admittedly very useful!), third-party apps (already made), EVDO (which is much, much faster than EDGE), and a keyboard, and, um... am I missing anything?

Admittedly, one might prefer the 700wx, but saying it "doesn't come close" makes it sound like you're quite ignorant of at least one of the two devices.

Quote:
Trademark. YOu can't patent a name.

Quote:
Originally posted by Too-DAMN-Much
QFT, my motorola a1200 does everything that does except edge...

apple is barely even trying anymore it seems like...
Yeah, totally. The iPhone's only got that, and, oh, uh, wifi, nicer screen, multitouch, various phone features, Google maps, a better interface, much more storage space, is half as thick, etc, etc, ad nauseam. Phff. Nothing at all.

Fuck, people. I don't own a single Apple product. I'm not an Apple fanboy in the least. But everyone seems bent on finding/guessing ways the iPhone sucks (OMFG SCRATCHES LOL—as though it's a bigger problem than with current screens), when the fucker won't even be released for six months, and actually is an amazing product, despite the possible problems.

And there are problems! No 3G? What the fuck? How's the iPhone supposed to be a "revolutionary internet communicator" when you're surfing along at EDGE (barely-faster-than-dialup) speeds? Hell, you can even bitch about the lack of GPS, or the fact that there apparently won't be full third-party apps. But making guesses about how fragile the screen will be, or how fingerprints are going to fuck it up, etc... don't you think Apple thought of that? Apple is rarely technically revolutionary (no 3G?!), but their interfaces have always been top-notch.

Everyone is ignoring the really, truly "revolutionary" parts of this—namely, Apple has made a phone with an interface that doesn't suck, and that alone is unique. Most of the people on this forum would at least be categorized as a "power user", and so interfaces don't really matter to you, you're used to learning them and learn them quickly, but this is an interface my mother could use, and that's really saying something.

Multitouch is the future. In ten years, multitouch is going to be huge, and Apple is the first out of the gate.

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
The DMCA. It really is that bad. : Count for your life.
xzxzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2007, 18:10   #33
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

But the blogosphere and int3rw3b is the negativity capital of the world!

XZ, do ruin it with.. with.. logic!

as zootm pointed out at the other place:
"No wireless. Less space than a nomad. Lame."

elevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladylevitateme
shakey_snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2007, 18:34   #34
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

cool if you're a mac user.

I prefer my WM(200)5 machine

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Warrior of the Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 02:41   #35
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Quote:
Originally posted by xzxzzx
You're seriously going to attribute the iPod's success to mostly good timing and maybe a little excellent marketing? Scor, seriously, I know the iPod doesn't fit your ideal of an audio player (being the audiophile-type that you are), but will you just look at the thing? The iPod may have sucked in the ways you consider important, but it was extremely nice in the ways the market considers important.
Whoa, calm down there, young man.

The iPod fits my "ideal" quite nicely. One of the key reasons I bought my new car is because it has an iPod interface.

Please don't dog iPods. I happen to like them.

And although it is indeed a very good product, Apple's marketing was the single biggest cause of the iPod's success in the market.

Quote:
Admittedly, one might prefer the 700wx
Requirements. Think requirements. Everyone has different criteria for everything they buy.

After MUCH research, I chose the Treo 700wx as my smartphone of choice for my personal and business needs. It won't meet other people's needs nearly as well as it met mine. And likewise, other products don't come close to the Treo for my needs.

If everyone had the same criteria, then there'd never be more than one successful product in any given market. Diversity in products is a good thing, because diversity in people is omnipresent.

Quote:
Fuck, people. I don't own a single Apple product. I'm not an Apple fanboy in the least. But everyone seems bent on finding/guessing ways the iPhone sucks
Whoa, calm down, there. (Again.)

People's opinions will be as diverse as their requirements, and yours will be no more right for my requirements than mine will be for anyone else's.

Don't let it hurt you so bad when people say bad things about a product. They're just opinions. Life's still a wonderful thing.

My opinion in this thread is two-fold: (a) No matter how good it is, and (this time) no matter how strong the marketing, the iPhone will not enjoy the same level - and speed - of success as the iPod did because the market's not as receptive to "one, be-all, end-all smartphone" now as it was to "one, be-all, end-all portable music player" several years ago. (b) The iPhone doesn't meet several of my critical requirements for a smartphone, whereas the one I did select meets them all very nicely. For instance, the lack of a keyboard is a showstopper, though not the only one. This is no comment on product quality. Most Ferrari's don't meet my requirements either, but I still think they're fine cars. For instance, the lack of a back seat is a showstopper, though not the only one.

See how it works?

Now, come here and let's cuddle. You'll feel better.
ScorLibran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 03:31   #36
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

FYI: Scor's probably naked.

elevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladylevitateme
shakey_snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 03:35   #37
skryingbreath
Post initializing...

I'll get the lotion.
skryingbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 04:38   #38
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

shave ze nipple
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 06:20   #39
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
Quote:
Yeah, totally. The iPhone's only got that, and, oh, uh, wifi, nicer screen, multitouch, various phone features, Google maps, a better interface, much more storage space, is half as thick, etc, etc, ad nauseam. Phff. Nothing at all.
i have t-mobile web... i don't need wifi, and my old SGH-T809 had a slightly nicer screen (nicer only because it was brighter in the dark), the interface leaves nothing to be desired, believe me, i can expand up to 1gig which is all you should ever need on your phone anyway, and since it can play ringtones and set wallpaper DIRECTLY from the memory card there's no need to worry about it's paltry 8/16meg internal memory, thickness is not something i care about, a flip type form factor was however....

all in all... you need to do your research and or play with my phone, and see how very, very wrong you are.

oh, did i mention it gets REAL internet? i could have typed this entire thing from my phone... if i wanted, hell the fucking thing even knows what cookies are for fuck sake, it's got a bloody REAL FUNCTIONAL task manager for when you've too many apps open even.

Quote:
Fuck, people. I don't own a single Apple product. I'm not an Apple fanboy in the least.
you are now...

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.
Too-DAMN-Much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 06:42   #40
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

I'm going to choose a nice spot on the fence and sit this one out.

I really like the idea of an all in one audio + media player + phone. It means you'll always have your media with you. There are times i dont keep my zen/nano on me, but i've always got my phone.

On the other hand, a mobile phone's function is so you can be contacted or be able to contact others. If you carry a PSP/Zen/ipod video and drain the battery watching the latest ep of pure pwnage or hak.5 the worst case scenario is no entertainment. With the iphone, you'd lose your communication device too, which could be a problem in an emergency.
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions