Old 18th May 2010, 18:03   #1
huckman

Mac Problems

Hey everyone, I'm new to this, so just bear with me. I searched through the support forums, I saw the announcement sticky, but I still can't find what I'm looking for. I'm simply looking for a how to for macs. Everything I've seen so far has been for Windows users. I downloaded an mp3 player called Mixxx, and I downloaded the DNAS application. I saw one thread that explained what each function in the file is and which ones I can leave out. I don't know what to do from here.

Any advice would be great. Thanks!
huckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 02:12   #2
fc*uk

There is no out and out guide for mac users. Now that you bring it up, maybe I should write one. Seems like we are getting more and more mac folks in here.

Anyway, more on point to your specific problem, on a mac you need to use sc_trans to send audio to dnas. I personally would recommend using the current sc_trnas beta (it's stickied in the SHOUTcast Discussions forum).

Aside from that, have at it, let us know where you get stuck. Don't worry about the mac issue in a world of PCs, I've been using linux to broadcast for years and linux works like a mac does now. I am also a mac user to boot. So .... I should be able to give you all the help you need (I hope).

If I don't respond back to this thread after you post something, drop me a PM and call me everything from a jerk to an idiot for not replying to your thread after I said I would help. I'll get back to you that way (in all honesty. sometimes I just miss things and need to be reminded).
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 20:19   #3
Meadowlark

Mac problems

I hope this is the right place to post as I can't seem to find another thread. If the answer to my question is already covered, please direct me to where to read it. I've done the configuration page, but I can't figure out the start up process. it might be because I am a brand new Mac user as well. I used WinAmp on Windows before . . . that seemed easier :-(

Thank you in advance for any help or advice.
Meadowlark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2010, 01:01   #4
fc*uk

Meadowlark: two ways:

1. drag and drop the config file onto the binary

2. Go to Apps --> Utilities --> Terminal and navigate to the directory in which the binary resides (most likely /Users/User_ID and from there say you dumped it in a SHOUTcast folder). So, at that terminal type: ./Users/User_ID/SHOUTcast/sc_trans config_file.conf where the User_ID is going to be the person logged into the mac and config_file.conf is going to be the name of the configuration file.

substitute sc_trans for sc_serv when needed.
Old 22nd May 2010, 16:19   #5
Meadowlark

I don't get how to login or the sc_trans thing...
Old 23rd May 2010, 04:26   #6
fc*uk

the login to the mac is what ever user account you created when you set your mac up.

It's really not important, just find the sc_trans binary and drop the config file onto it to start it up. That is most likely going to be the easiest route for you.
Old 23rd May 2010, 16:20   #7
Meadowlark

I thank you... Somehow I guess I don't have a sc_trans file... I'll keep you posted.
Old 25th May 2010, 19:01   #8
Meadowlark

Confused about sc_trans...am I using this and not sc_serv... Also, which is the section to configure? Yes; I feel kind of stupid! WinAmp seemed easier. Maybe one of you Mac users could write a step by step guide? SIGh..
Old 25th May 2010, 21:14   #9
fc*uk

You have to use both sc_serv and sc_trans to broadcast on a mac. Sc_serv is dnas and sc_trans replaces the winamp dsp on windows.

The mac guides are the linux guides. They are one and the same now. In the dicsussions forum I have posted a guide as to how to go about setting up the sc_trans beta on mac/windows/pc. I'd post the link, but I am don't have those bookmarked on my work computer.

As further development of the software continues, I have a feeling that the windows/mac/*nix programs are going to all end up being essentially the samething. We have already seen that with the sc_trans beta; the winamp dsp is not longer going to be developed. I would not be too shocked if dnas ended up going the same way eventually.
Old 26th May 2010, 00:49   #10
Meadowlark

Thank you very much fu*uk. I'll check out the discussion section to try and find that how to set up trans_serv beta. If I don't find it, guess who I'll be back to bother - Hehe! Interesting ...
Old 26th May 2010, 01:35   #11
fc*uk

Aquarius Antares was kind enough to link you the thread I was referencing.

Thank you Aquarius
Old 26th May 2010, 23:09   #12
Meadowlark

fc*uk i kinda bypassed figuring out all that by getting NiceCast, but now i can't figure out how to get my mic going.. any ideas?
Old 26th May 2010, 23:13   #13
Meadowlark

ty Aquarious
Old 27th May 2010, 00:26   #14
fc*uk

I have never used nicecast.

Take a look at this and see if it helps you: http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=236336
Old 4th June 2010, 16:06   #15
Meadowlark

Great.. thank you
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support