Old 9th December 2013, 07:16   #1
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
too late? too hard? remove missing from a smartview

I realize the end is nigh, but a really useful feature would be to right click a smartview and have winamp remove all missing files from just that smartview.

right now, even if ur in a smartview and select all files in it, and you right click, and say remove missing files, that command applies to the whole ML, and not just the smartview.

I'd like to be able to right click the smartview, and purge just that view's results.

thx.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2013, 15:02   #2
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Too late, anything they would implement now, would be a risk, it could introduce new bugs.
Also it would require language pack updates. I also would like to see a right click menu for classic skins, where you can change the visualization (like the modern skins have), but it's just too late.

And before you moan about language packs, without the language pack issues, we probably would not get another new build.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 18:28   #3
zackbuffo

Isn't a smartview just a subset of the whole media library? Don't you just need to rescan it and you get rid of all its missing files.

If Winamp would be "smarter" in terms of missing files, I would expect a massive load, while going through all the files from time to time - just like a rescan.

Actually, I don't get the benefit of removing missing files from just a single smartview, if you keep them in the rest of your library. Could you explain your approach a little bit, MrSinatra? Maybe I miss something...

Ich suche jemand in Deutschland, der seinen TAMA Starclassic Maple Kesselsatz tauschen möchte BD:22, TT:14, 12, 10. Ich bin mit dem Set sehr zufrieden, habe mich aber an meiner Lackierung "Tequila Sunrise" sattgesehen. Das Set ist von 2002, gepflegt und wurde ausschließlich in Cases transportiert. Bei Interesse bitte PM an mich. Immernoch aktuell in 2018!!!
zackbuffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2014, 16:35   #4
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackbuffo View Post
Isn't a smartview just a subset of the whole media library? Don't you just need to rescan it and you get rid of all its missing files.

If Winamp would be "smarter" in terms of missing files, I would expect a massive load, while going through all the files from time to time - just like a rescan.

Actually, I don't get the benefit of removing missing files from just a single smartview, if you keep them in the rest of your library. Could you explain your approach a little bit, MrSinatra? Maybe I miss something...
yep. the ML shows everything, from all sources. now imagine one of the sources happens to be temporary, like a USB drive. now imagine that temp source, the USB drive, is not currently connected.

with me now?

--
Old 26th January 2014, 02:30   #5
the_hyrax_lord

Shame, that would've been cool
the_hyrax_lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2014, 10:09   #6
Aminifu
Forum King

Smart views are not static, every time one is selected the media library is read anew.

So would not the General Preferences - Media Library - Local Library - Watch Folders' option to "Automatically remove missing files" accomplish the same thing?

A rescan of watched locations can be ran manually at any time and it can be set to run automatically on a selectable schedule (every x minutes). If the temporary drive is in the watch list, then it's contents would be added to the library when it is present during a rescan and removed from the library during a rescan when it is absent.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2014, 10:18   #7
MarkRH

Yeah my impression of the smart views is that they are a real-time SQL query on the ML database. Those that match the query are displayed. To do what you'd want, each smart view would have to have it's own, independent, table in the database. Then, you'd have to have either automatic or manual syncing with the main database when new files are added, etc. It would get kinda messy.
MarkRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2014, 14:52   #8
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
So would not the General Preferences - Media Library - Local Library - Watch Folders' option to "Automatically remove missing files" accomplish the same thing?
no. if it would, I'd not make the request.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
A rescan of watched locations can be ran manually at any time and it can be set to run automatically on a selectable schedule (every x minutes). If the temporary drive is in the watch list, then it's contents would be added to the library when it is present during a rescan and removed from the library during a rescan when it is absent.
exactly the issue. when I rip, I rip to the local SSD. I store the rest of the ML on a USB drive. since that's some 70k+ songs, its not fun to remove them all and re-add them all, and it also messes up views like "recently added" etc.

if I could just do the smartview, I could apply it to just the SSD, which would be great, b/c then I could freely move things around and edit them, etc, on the SSD without even needing the USB present. doing all that manually is a PITA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkRH View Post
Yeah my impression of the smart views is that they are a real-time SQL query on the ML database. Those that match the query are displayed. To do what you'd want, each smart view would have to have it's own, independent, table in the database. Then, you'd have to have either automatic or manual syncing with the main database when new files are added, etc. It would get kinda messy.
that's why I said "too hard?" I'm not sure it would be that difficult, or require what you describe, but I don't have the dev knowledge to say one way or the other.

however, if you can add just a few files to the ML from a generic but specific location, surely you can remove just a few files from the ML from a generic yet specific location?

--
Old 26th January 2014, 19:44   #9
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

It would be pretty easy to implement this feature.

Also, I find in general the manual syncing necessary in the media library is a big pain.
Benski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2014, 06:30   #10
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
exactly the issue. when I rip, I rip to the local SSD. I store the rest of the ML on a USB drive. since that's some 70k+ songs, its not fun to remove them all and re-add them all, and it also messes up views like "recently added" etc.

if I could just do the smartview, I could apply it to just the SSD, which would be great, b/c then I could freely move things around and edit them, etc, on the SSD without even needing the USB present. doing all that manually is a PITA.
Ok, I think I have a better understanding now. It does take time to repeatedly add and remove a large number of files to/from the media library (even-though it is a lot faster than it used to be). It would also affect things like the 'recently added' view.

When I use Winamp, I want access to my whole library, so I would not run it with only part of the library present. I only use an external drive for backup because transfer speed is slower than internal drives. But, that's just me, I can understand that others may want to do things differently.

Would you want the missing files just not shown in the smart views or would you want those particular library database records also removed? Can missing files be highlighted in a smart view similar to what can be done in the playlist editor? I'm still learning about smart views and do not have missing files in my library. For years I had only used playlists and was not aware (till last year) that the standard library views were just default smart views.

Winamp's media library is not designed to easily accommodate files in temporary locations or 'staging areas'. The same file moved to a different location or the same file in multiple locations are all treated as different files. That's why I only add files to my media library after they are in what I expect to be their permanent locations. Moving files around to different locations within the library has the same affect on 'recently added' as deleting and re-adding them. I also disable all options that would add a file to the library just because it was played by Winamp.

If I later need to make a change to a library file's metadata, I use an app that will not change the file's modification date and then force the library to re-read the updated metadata (that way the file's 'date added' is not changed). I only use Winamp's tag editors on files that are not yet in the library (because they always update the file's modification date, unless they are canceled, even if no actual changes are made).

Smart views are wed to the media library. It would be nice if smart views could also be used on selected files that are not in the media library. But that is another issue.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Old 28th January 2014, 06:44   #11
MrSinatra
Forum King

I don't really understand whats unclear about this? the ML does not change whether the files are there or not as long as you don't do a rescan while also having 'remove missing files' checked.

what I am requesting is the ability to remove missing files to just a given smartview by right clicking on that smartview and choosing "remove missing files from smartview"

I totally disagree that winamps ML is not designed to easily handle temp/staging areas. imo, smartviews do easily enable this. what winamp can have a hard time with, is when the ML location is not more or less permanent, but that has nothing to do with this, and could be solved by building in a check/pref to have winamp look for / ask for the ML to be connected if it detects it isn't present, (like a root HD or root network location).

--
Old 28th January 2014, 07:03   #12
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
I don't really understand whats unclear about this? the ML does not change whether the files are there or not as long as you don't do a rescan while also having 'remove missing files' checked.
I understand now. I didn't at first because I do regularly rescan with the 'remove missing' option enabled.

I'm still learning the power of smart views and as I inferred, 'different strokes for different folks'.

Old 30th January 2014, 07:33   #13
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
what I am requesting is the ability to remove missing files to just a given smartview by right clicking on that smartview and choosing "remove missing files from smartview"
There are already context menu commands to remove selected file(s) in various ways. So all you would need is code added to automatically select the missing files. As Benski said, that should be fairly easy to do.

Old 30th January 2014, 10:54   #14
micronicos

Send a message via Skype™ to micronicos
smartviews over multiple removable media...

I wish there was some way of 'permanently' identifying a device & using that in smartviews.

I think I need to experiment more

Regards,
Nico Morrison
Radio Flower Raj - live music, news & interviews.

IBM T41 (2003) [2GB RAM 300GB IDE HDD XP Pro SP3]
INTEL SERVER MOTHERBOARD (2004) [2GB RAM DEBIAN 7.3]
micronicos is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist