Old 9th May 2007, 03:44   #1
mombox2001

Preference changes reverting to default

Originally my issue was being able to double click an MP3 and not have the entire playlist clear. I found the answer in the forums, but when I make the changes in preferences (shell options), when I close out it reverts back to the original settings. I have the very basic free version (5.34) newly installed on a new Vista laptop. Is this a known issue and is there a fix? I hope there is because after all these years (nearly 10 now?) I have never found a music player that I love as much as Winamp. I just always "put up" with the constant accidental clearing of my playlist, but I think I'm just getting too old to deal with it much longer.

Thanks in advance,
mombox
mombox2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 09:12   #2
siebe83
Forum King

Did you select 'Separate settings per user' in the installer options? That will make Winamp store settings in the Documents & Settings folder.
If you chose 'Shared settings' then Winamp will attempt to save settings to the Winamp dir in C:\Program Files, which isn't possible in Vista.

You can run the installer again to make sure.

Other possible reasons for settings not being saved:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....52#post1228252

Good Winamp plugins by Joonas, DrO and shaneh.
If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 17:21   #3
Kn0tte
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by siebe83

If you chose 'Shared settings' then Winamp will attempt to save settings to the Winamp dir in C:\Program Files, which isn't possible in Vista.
Ahh, so Vista has problems like that.. Is there a solution like Winamp can make it so the settings can be saved at another place than C:\Program Files? Or maybe microsoft will update their Windows so it will be possible in Vista too, like in XP?
I still have XP, and maybe that is best. Too me it seems like Vista has problems and problems..
Kn0tte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 17:28   #4
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

FYI, the Shared/Separate User Settings screen of the Installer Options is bypassed under Vista, and it just defaults to separate settings stored in %appdata%\winamp
DJ Egg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 23:59   #5
mombox2001

Is there a work around?
Old 10th May 2007, 00:23   #6
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

For your original issue?
There's quite a few referenced in the thread JonnyMac linked to in his first reply.

The usual cause for settings not being saved is one of:
  • winamp.ini is set to read-only (to fix, remove read-only attribute)
  • Some external app (eg. WindowWasher or Tracks Eraser) is deleting winamp.ini (to fix, configure said app not to do so)
  • Some 3rd-party plugin is causing winamp to crash on exit, and therefore settings changes aren't being saved properly to winamp.ini (to fix, remove said 3rd-party plugin)
  • You're logged into Windows with a limited user profile and don't have write permissions
Old 10th May 2007, 01:44   #7
mombox2001

Actually I was asking about a workaround for the separate settings stored in %appdata%\winamp, but I went back to the orginal link and this time did not bypass the "Or something weird like this" comment. I tried installing to a different directory as suggested and Presto! Works just like it outta now. Everyone's input is greatly appreciated!

Much thanks!
mombox
Old 10th May 2007, 01:58   #8
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Yeah, that's the weirdest one of them all, and I have absolutely no idea how/why that happens, but can only assume that it must be related to a 'permissions' setting
(Win2k/XP Pro > folder > properties > Security tab // though not sure if it's the same as that in Vista).

For the workaround, you'd need to change the inidir= setting in Winamp\paths.ini accordingly, but would need to make sure that it's changed to a folder with both read & write permissions.
Old 11th February 2014, 00:01   #9
multivoxmuse

Hey everyone,

I noticed something else too. Winamp was working great for me for about an hour, but it stopped saving my plugin preferences after I would exit.

The only thing I had changed in the winamp settings other than plugin settings was the winamp agent, so I turned it (not hoping for much) back on, and of course that was it.

It works now... somehow the winamp agent being off was causing this issue.

So try turning it on if it's off!
multivoxmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 01:41   #10
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi multivoxmuse,

That is interesting. Thanx for sharing.

I don't have the problem and don't install the agent, but it seems that for those who do install it, it must also be enabled. I assume you're using v5.666.3516.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 09:30   #11
DrO

there is no reason for the agent being enabled to help as it doesn't interact with things (especially when Winamp is closed) and could just be a coincidence with timing issues for other things going on in the main program i.e. 3rd party plug-in (s) or an old Winamp version (as this is a 7yr old thread).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support