X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GigaWatt
    • Jul 2019

[BUG] Winamp 5.8 doesn't display ID3 tags correctly

Here's what happens when you have a file with both ID3 v1 and v2 tags in the playlist ... I thought this might happen with some MP3 files. That's why I asked for the old ID3 tag editor back, where v1 and v2 ID3 tags had separate fields.

Basically, now, when you're editing tags, you don't have a clue which tag you're editing. I know this is simpler for newbies, but some of us like the old style, where things were more detailed... not to mention hiccups like this.

At least add an option to turn on ID3 v1/v2 separate fields back. You don't have to make it a part of the default preferences... I don't think I'm asking for a lot.
  • ryerman
    Major Dude
    • Mar 2010

Originally Posted by GigaWatt View Post
    ...At least add an option to turn on ID3 v1/v2 separate fields back. You don't have to make it a part of the default preferences... I don't think I'm asking for a lot.
    It doesn't matter what you're asking: no developer from the mysterious "Winamp development team" is participating in these forums.
    It is probable that such a team does not exist.
    Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin

Comment

• GigaWatt
      • Jul 2019

Originally Posted by ryerman View Post
      It doesn't matter what you're asking: no developer from the mysterious "Winamp development team" is participating in these forums.
      It is probable that such a team does not exist.
      So... why keep a section like this open ?

Thought this was just a waste of time, but didn't think things were this bad .

Comment

• musicf8
        Major Dude
        • Apr 2013

I am in the process of retagging my music library, imo, I would just use mp3tag and remove v1 and any other tags that are not id3v2.3
        Current Setup: Windows 10 Pro, Sound Blaster Z, Logitech Z-5500, Winamp v5.666.3516

Get wacup

Comment

• MrSinatra
          Forum King
          • Dec 2004

Originally Posted by musicf8 View Post
          I am in the process of retagging my music library, imo, I would just use mp3tag and remove v1 and any other tags that are not id3v2.3
          correct!

Read-only forum with answers to the most commonly asked newbie techsupport questions pulled from all the other forums. Check here for basic Winamp support answers before digging into the forums.
          PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
          --
          BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
          Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
          Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing

Comment

• GigaWatt
            • Jul 2019

I completely agree with you, but see, there's one small problem. I encoded all of my audio files to MP3Pro a while back. The playback plugin supports only up to v2.0 tags, so I can't use anything above v2.0 for the tagging. OK, that's not such a big deal, I can just use plain 2.0 for the tagging, problem solved .

But, from time to time, you forget to appropriately tag some file (like the one in the screenshot) and things like this will eventually happen. For example, that files does have a v2.0 tag, but somehow, I must have forgotten to remove the v1.0 tag (as I said, it can happen to anybody). This shouldn't be a problem, since the preference should be, if both tags are present, use the 2.0 one, ignore the 1.0 one, which doesn't seem to be the case.

Comment

• DJ-Garybaldy
              Forum King
              • Sep 2003

Why mp3Pro?

RadioDJ - Winamp - SAMBC

Comment

• GigaWatt
                • Jul 2019

Because, when it first came out, it was a really really big deal... especially if you've got a lot of music and not a lot of disk space. It was integrated as an encoder/decoder in Cool Edit and Nero and it looked like it had a future at the time.

Comment

• DJ-Garybaldy
                  Forum King
                  • Sep 2003

Fairy Nuff!

I know all about the need to save on disk space for music files. Don't have that issue these days more than enough space for not a lot of dough now.

RadioDJ - Winamp - SAMBC

Comment

• GigaWatt
                    • Jul 2019

Yeah, exactly... disk space is pretty inexpensive nowadays. Things didn't used to be always like that.

Comment

• MrSinatra
                      Forum King
                      • Dec 2004

Use mp3tag to mass strip all v1 tags.

Also, mp3pro is long dead. Winamp took it out around 5.3 or so I think.

Imo, rerip ur CDs to ALAC or high bitrate MP3. Or expand / transrip MP3 to ALAC.
                      PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
                      --
                      BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
                      Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
                      Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing

Comment

Working...
                      X