Old 22nd December 2011, 00:09   #201
MadnessR

Needed to update Winamp. Now I see it. Awesome! Please never stop making these!
MadnessR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2011, 03:59   #202
JohanSebastian

Thanks for your replies (Martin and Amandio).

I posted on another thread on this forum to see if I can get my hands on the MD 2.x source code, just so I can see if I can do some stuff with it, as far as overlays (video, kinect effects). I havent had much success yet.

I've got all sorts of tools to do video editing/post processing. Thats not what I am looking for. My goals include having MD running in the background of the projector (responding to the microphone input on my system, as it does now) and be able to overlay stuff on top, such as live video (the kinect has an RGB camera built into it), or my ultimate dream, to be able to overlay my kinect effects on top of MD (which uses the infra-red data stream coming from the kinect).

I've gotten quite a ways with my program (that I loosely call VJPro) with C#, XNA (for the 3D and fire effects). I also have the ability to play video and flash clips in this program. Now if I can integrate something like MD into it, I think I will have a pretty good package for my shows.
JohanSebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2011, 12:48   #203
Flexi
wellspring of milk
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Flexi
there are a few portations of Milkdrop for Flash, Javascript and OpenGL - maybe ProjectM is what you're looking for.

Btw, I have just noticed that it has recently been ported to Android! I'm melting!
Flexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2012, 19:02   #204
Nitorami
Major Dude

Reminiscence of an old theme
Attached Files
File Type: milk martin - witchcraft reloaded.milk (14.4 KB, 1561 views)
Nitorami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2012, 02:46   #205
RLP

Slower than a tortoise with that preset on my PC, Nitorami, but it is without a doubt a cool preset.

HELLO BOYS!!! I'M BAAAAAAACK!!!!!!!!!!
RLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2012, 09:12   #206
Nitorami
Major Dude

Sorry for that RLP, I try to design my presets such that they run at 30fps on my machine, which is quite old.. I think I bought it back 2004.
You can probably speed it up by reducing the number of stars layers, just set anz = 1 in the comp shader.
Old 9th March 2012, 21:50   #207
51Strong

Nice to see you making more presets Martin. Please never stop.
51Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2012, 20:25   #208
geiss
Nullsoft Visualization Developer

Wow.

Martin, it's amazing to see what you've done with the limited capabilities of MilkDrop! You've taken it far beyond what I thought was possible with the existing feature set -- way beyond. And as if all of the 3D effects weren't enough, the Mandelbox jump was a whole new level. You've found & developed some really amazing stuff.

Is there any way you can shoot me an email? Address is guava with the domain of geisswerks.com. Would love to chat offline.

Thanks (from myself and, I'm sure, everyone using MilkDrop) for the astounding presets!!!

Best regards,
Ryan Geiss
geiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 09:16   #209
LlamaLlamaLamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by geiss View Post
Best regards,
Ryan Geiss
The prodigal son returns!!!!!

Thank you for MilkDrop, Ryan! I'm glad you've seen Martins work I often wonder what Martin could've created had MilkDrop continued to be developed.

Thank you for Kinect btw I hope your enjoying Google (if your still there)
LlamaLlamaLamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2012, 20:36   #210
Zylot
Major Dude

Always an excellent honor when Geiss is summoned to these forums to bestow praise. I can see none more deserving than Martin, so Kudos.

-------------
What do you wish for?
--Instrumentality
Zylot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2012, 09:10   #211
ctrlshift

i just upgraded my video card to radeon 7000 series. first thing i did was load up the lonely goose. he's never looked so vibrant and graceful. the goose demands respect
ctrlshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 19:36   #212
Nitorami
Major Dude

Another beat detection attempt

Not a presets, just been messing around with a resonant beat detection. It needs some time to fall into resonance, but will then keep the beat for a while, even through moderator announcements. It needs rhythmic music with a resonably constant beat clearly modulated in volume. Techno works quite well.
Attached Files
File Type: milk martin - beat test Pendel3b.milk (9.8 KB, 662 views)
Old 30th October 2012, 18:57   #213
Nitorami
Major Dude

Amandios athletic runner trying to keep pace. Experimental.

Note that a constant frame rate is important for this to work, so please terminate other processes in the background.
Attached Files
File Type: milk martin - beat test Pendel3c.milk (16.5 KB, 599 views)
Old 31st October 2012, 18:05   #214
kbzona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitorami View Post
Amandios athletic runner trying to keep pace. Experimental.

Note that a constant frame rate is important for this to work, so please terminate other processes in the background.
Martin, this preset unfortunately does not work for me (using ATI Radeon hd 6770)

kbzona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2012, 19:23   #215
Nitorami
Major Dude

I'm sorry, I forgot to remove reference to shader 4. Corrected.
Note this is not a "preset" but rather an attempt on beat detection. Check it out.
Attached Files
File Type: milk martin - beat test Pendel3c.milk (16.5 KB, 574 views)
Old 3rd November 2012, 18:39   #216
Nitorami
Major Dude

Resonant beat detecion

Ok, here is the code for the resonant beat detection. Not much different from my previous postings but tuned and sanitised for general use. It is all in the per frame sections, you may use it in your own presets as you like.

It cannot do magic, but on music with a simple, clear and constant rhythm it performs very much better than earlier schemes. It will in general even keep the beat during announcements of the DJ, and is particularly well suited for club/techno live streams with an uninterrupted rhythm.

There are drawbacks, though:

(1) On a change of song with different rhythm, the algorithm will take a few seconds to fall into pace. Same as for you (I guess) on the dance floor.

(2) The algorithm may occasionally change between the single and double or even quadruple beat frequency. This is simply because a lot of music does contain multiples of the base beat, e.g. a slow bass drum and snares at double frequency. More complicates schemes may even carry 3/4, 6/4, 5/6 and many other multiples of the beat. To find out the basic rhythm would require quite more elaborate code. If you look over a dance floor, you will note that most humans do not understand complex rhythms either.

(3) Timing depends on a constant frame rate. Backgound processes that use up CPU time in irregular intervals and drop the frame rate, will disturb.

Currently the algorithm tends to fall into the fastest rhythm that exists in the music. This is on purpose, because it is much easier to make code to half the beat than to double it.
Attached Files
File Type: milk martin - resonant beat detection v1.milk (7.7 KB, 648 views)
Old 12th November 2012, 20:47   #217
Flexi
wellspring of milk
Major Dude

Old 9th November 2013, 21:10   #218
Nitorami
Major Dude

Strictly techno

Misfiring not excluded
Attached Files
File Type: milk martin - warming up the house.milk (16.7 KB, 1054 views)
Old 17th November 2013, 05:25   #219
zerowaitstate

A quick thanks to a lot of my most favourite preset authors posting in this thread. I have been in visuals for over a decade and have rested on the backs of a lot of you hard word over the years.

I wonder if any of you have an oculus rift and have considered how milkdrop would look in stereo full 3d.

Should there be interest from any of the premier coders for presets please message me I might be able to fund the purchase of an oculus dev kit to send your way to explore the potential of rift integration.
zerowaitstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2013, 18:43   #220
Nitorami
Major Dude

Hi zerowaitstate

There have been a few attempts towards stereo 3D in milkdrop, however since MD2 does not support a geometry, and its shader section is based on a flat mesh in the first place, I would not seriously consider this platform for 3D visuals.
Old 18th November 2013, 07:58   #221
ravermeister

Send a message via ICQ to ravermeister
for 3d visuals I think morphyre is the best choice,
but to be honest, I've returned to milkdrop as the visuals feel more "alive"
and some nice little things are not present like custom messages or
simply: display song title thats really annoying

lastfm.rimkus.it - last.fm Youtube Radio (buy me)
www.rimkus.it - Contact Music & More
ravermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 13:03   #222
zerowaitstate

I understand that, I thought that in an older version of Milk drop that they had used, the red / cyan anglyph method of 3 D Effect so it might be possible, images were off set and slightly tinted . so when you used the correct glasses one could get the 3d effect to a degree.

Obviously in a rift implementation one would not want to tint the output as you would want to keep all the colour data intact however.

The rift currently uses a mobile phone display or similar @ 1280 x 800 so effectively you get 640 x 800 per eye. Consumer rift will be a lot higher

One of the reasons the rift works is its not two separate displays but one single one with just the image being rendered twice and planted on the screen off set from one another.

As the display is held just a few inches from your face they use quite strong lenses that stretch the display to almost completely fill ones field of view. In software they warp the image so when it is viewed through the lenses straight lines appear straight, where as viewing the output on a standard monitor you see two oddly stretched images side by side.

I would think the biggest challenge would more be feeding the input from the HMD back into the code. This is used for tracking head orientation (and later position). One of the biggest caused of nausea in Rift is the sense of motion that is not initiated by the user .

I have not heard of any .mlk files that take any input other than basic images and the audio low mid and high frequencies as a driver for graphics creation, not that im a coder but a humble masher in the MD universe but from what I have read on the doco over the years its not even possible to stream this sort of positional data into the MD engine

If there is interest I can send some dev doco, as stated I would be willing to fund some one of suitable skill / rep in the forum to explore what is possible. The Rift is going to be HUGE and just the possibility of being an enabler to bring MD into the rift would be suitably satisfying for me.
Old 18th November 2013, 13:13   #223
zerowaitstate

Ravemeister I have morphyre Pro(I think it might have cost 499 or some thing) but would say it has some great functions but still I find the variety of material that MD2 produces really amazing.

I am doing a new club design which is rolling out in February and am excited by the prospect of seeing MD visuals on 70 square meters of LED which will be hung from the roof it is going to look Amazing

I had really high hopes for MD SOC project .... being able to control presets via a midi interface opens some interesting possibilities, but it seems like there was a lot of work to go on the front end to get that operational.
Old 18th November 2013, 17:10   #224
Nitorami
Major Dude

Quote:
I understand that, I thought that in an older version of Milk drop that they had used, the red / cyan anglyph method of 3 D Effect so it might be possible, images were off set and slightly tinted . so when you used the correct glasses one could get the 3d effect to a degree
Indeed, a very old version natively had an option to displace the red/green channels and yes, that resulted in some sort of spatial impression with anaglyph glasses and zoomy presets but that is, basically, it. It was a more or less catchy effect which sort of worked for a few presets using the right colours, zoom and movement, but not generally. For true 3D you need a z coordinate to express the distance to the viewer. Concluding, this was quite primitive and can be replicated easily; it needs no special milkdrop 3D version. The only point of the 3D version was that the effect could be activated without having to modify the existing presets.

There were also attempts using simply a dark glass for one eye only. The processing speed in the eye depends on brightness, the darkened eye reacts slower and rather sees the previous frame, hence for fast moving lines or shapes there will be some sort of spatial expression albeit without any control of depth - the most frugal technique for pseudo 3D I can think of.

A while ago I made an anaglyph version of the mandelbox journey, see attached. To get the two images I had to sacrifice half the resolution. It works fairly well and is quite impressive, although obsolete and could be done better. Things like that could be done straightforward on a less restricted environment, but are quite tricky in milkdrop.

Quote:
I would think the biggest challenge would more be feeding the input from the HMD back into the code
I don't know what sort of challenge it would be but yes, unfortunately natively MD does not accept ANY input other than a few predefined keys and provides no output other than the screen. It might be possible to overcome this to a certain degree by intercepting the windows message queue but I think it would be more rewarding to develop an entirely new version rather than fuffing around with such cumbersome workarounds.
Attached Files
File Type: milk martin - mandelbox explorer red-green stereo.milk (17.4 KB, 602 views)
Old 18th November 2013, 20:54   #225
Nitorami
Major Dude

On to something completely different. Rather meditative, very slow, and strictly NON-Techno I would think. Not a "preset" really.

I've been experimenting with this for quite a while, trying to make it more changeable... Shadows, clouds, moon, sunrise, beautiful scenes and colours, I've all seen it - but it was just too difficult to convincingly integrate it all into one preset. In the end, I lost control over all the options I maneuvered this into and had to simplify it radically.

Therefore what you see is an intermediate and not really finished version- I should tidy it up but I reckon I'll never do this, and thought it might be better just to share it.
Sorry for the gloomy ambience and lack of colours. It just reflects my mood.

Martin
Attached Files
File Type: milk martin - Zen walk.milk (35.8 KB, 1065 views)
Old 20th November 2013, 19:21   #226
Flexi
wellspring of milk
Major Dude

I'm stunned
Old 7th December 2013, 22:42   #227
Nitorami
Major Dude

Last preset

Dear all,

This is my last preset I'll post on this forum. Enjoy!
I hope to see some of you again on http://winampforum.com/

Cheerio and farewell
Martin
Attached Files
File Type: milk martin - city lights.milk (19.6 KB, 1156 views)
Old 7th December 2013, 23:31   #228
MadnessR

ok, soooo that's probably the most incredible preset I've ever seen...Just amazing!
MadnessR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2013, 01:56   #229
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Thank You for the last preset here. And keep up Your good work!...

I don't understand, why many download-links on the new board don't work in offline-mode and require a login. I don't think, that everybody wants to register now just for being able to download everything, what will be offered there in the future. On the old board all downloads were possible also without registering here and without logging in.

I hope, the problems, that some downloads are not possible in offline mode on the new board, will be resolved soon...

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2013, 08:39   #230
zerowaitstate

Quote:
Dear all,

This is my last preset I'll post on this forum. Enjoy!
I hope to see some of you again on http://winampforum.com/

Cheerio and farewell
Martin
ill be following you over to the other forum for one terrible moment I thought you had decided to stop doing visualisations. your last post here is really quite amazing.
Old 14th December 2013, 00:57   #231
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Oooh, Your newest presets are so beautiful... 3 days ago I have pasted 10 new presets, "1814 Installierte MilkDrop Visualisierungsvoreinstellungen" now, and before my account on the old Winamp Forums will disappear into the Nirvana, I want to say: Thank You again!!!...

H.U.V.A. Network - Orientations (Above Towns Edit) [Visualization]

Old 2nd January 2014, 13:04   #232
Nitorami
Major Dude

city lights v2

As this forum is mysteriously still up and running, I'll post a revised version. It is more lively and uses more light effects. It looks best with uptempo, light and swinging tunes.

It is running at 50fps here on my fathers machine, but might cause performance problems on older PCs. Should you experience an fps breakdown, you may uncomment the last line in the comp shader. That will remove the laser and reduce GPU load.

Martin
Attached Files
File Type: milk martin - city lights v2.milk (22.2 KB, 497 views)
Old 6th January 2014, 12:01   #233
Nitorami
Major Dude

Same but optimised on my old GeForce 7600 so it will nuw run at 31 instead of 25fps, which makes quite a difference. Also fixed a missing variable initialisation which sometimes caused the laser not to show.
Attached Files
File Type: milk martin - city lights v2.milk (22.8 KB, 494 views)
Old 6th January 2014, 15:40   #234
dkoder

Quote:
Same but optimised on my old GeForce 7600 so it will nuw run at 31 instead of 25fps, which makes quite a difference. Also fixed a missing variable initialisation which sometimes caused the laser not to show.
Just had to say Awesome!
dkoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2014, 19:53   #235
litheon

Quote:
As this forum is mysteriously still up and running, I'll post a revised version. It is more lively and uses more light effects. It looks best with uptempo, light and swinging tunes.

It is running at 50fps here on my fathers machine, but might cause performance problems on older PCs. Should you experience an fps breakdown, you may uncomment the last line in the comp shader. That will remove the laser and reduce GPU load.

Martin
Really, wow!! My mounth was wide open when watching this!
litheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2014, 18:22   #236
Nitorami
Major Dude

Hi Litheon
now that the source code of MD2 is available, wouldn't you want to get your hands on it ?
Old 11th January 2014, 07:11   #237
TheNewGeneration

Martin, you have done it again. Simply amazing. You blew my mind with the first city lights, and now, you have blown it again. *bows down*

P.S. I remixed one of your presets (Volcano) by adding in some code and working some mixing magic. It doesn't look at all the same, but the soft, undulating bubbles of volcano made me want to make something wonderful. (By the way, the name of the preset is actually a reference to a song by a producer named Caribou. The name of the song is Lalibela, and I suggest you give it a listen. If you like chill uptempo, than this will probably top your list.)
TheNewGeneration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2014, 17:30   #238
litheon

Quote:
Hi Litheon
now that the source code of MD2 is available, wouldn't you want to get your hands on it ?

I'm seriously thinking about it.
I started already looking into the code.
But at the moment I have sometimes the problem of keeping my motivation up.
Like, why am I doing this ... aren't there any alternatives that people rather use...

For example at this moment i'm looking at shadertoy.
It seems very popular at the moment and you also have music visualizations:
https://www.shadertoy.com/view/lds3zr
https://www.shadertoy.com/view/XssGRj

It is crazy what people can make with a simple shader

Although most of the examples of shadertoy run pretty slow on my computer.... And chrome chrashed a few times when watching at the examples ... so you cannot call it a mature technology at this moment.

So, it is not a real alternative at this moment, I know, but maybe in the future ...

Also programming in spare time needs to stay fun ... nobody want to become frustrated as http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=359762 lol It is not worth it.

But if there is enough enthusiasm .... but it will take a month or 2 (or 3) of spare time to rewrite everything, in order to switch to a more modern api. And for example the first step will be adding the extra rendertargets as Geiss mentioned in his "future plans" post.

There is also http://projectm.sourceforge.net/ of course.
But it seems that they are more concentrated on their Android and Iphone ports:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/proj...ign-mpt=uo%3D4 (3 dollars)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEy8bu-L3sg
They don't seem to add new functionality to the official projectm project.
I can understand this decision.
With those mobile apps you can maybe make a little bit of money on the side ... nobody wants to pay for a visualization application for your music player on your pc for private use. I hope they give some credit to the preset makers, making nice presets is the most difficult part of a music visualizer! But hey, maybe in the future we can do a mobile port of "milkdrop 3" too, why not

Last edited by litheon; 13th January 2014 at 20:13.
litheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2014, 16:27   #239
Nitorami
Major Dude

@TheNG
A nice piece of caleidosope, but not really derived from volcano - the beat code is largely mine, the shapes are, I think, Amandio C, warp and comp shaders are from Geiss' original templates.
But you certainly have talent in doing mashups, and you already proved that in your other collections. Have you not considered to make your own presets from the start ? I personally find this much more rewarding than mashing, although it takes a LOT more time

@litheon
I understand that you don't want to saddle a dead horse. While I appreciate that winamp is continued, I do not know radionomy's plans and whether visualisation is of any relevance to them... At least there is a chance that MD3 might have a decent future
BTW Shadertoy crashes both firefox and chrome on my machine, maybe because I still use XP with DirectX9. There may also be a problem with my video driver but games and MD work so I don't bother.

As to the resonance that might be expected... There are certainly a few enthusiasts out there, but with the emphasis on few - I often felt quite alone on this forum. I have approximatly 1000 preset downloaders per year, the number decreasing further down the thread, and I don't know how many of them are crawlers or robots. For most listeners, visuals are not top priority, many winamp users will not even know milkdrop exists, and the trend to tiny mobile screens does not help this. In my view, milkdrop on a tablet or smartphone is pointless. For a real BIG experience a BIG screen is required, filling a large part of the visual field, plus good music, good mood, time and commitment. It seems quite common these days to substitute most of this by drugs, but I reckon the big screen is still indispensable. So... I don't know where this is going.

Martin
Old 21st January 2014, 16:56   #240
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Shadertoy has caused a non-responding of my Firefox, when I wanted to load the website, I had to use the Task Manager. At least I was able to load the website of Shadertoy in Google Chrome. I have Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium Service Pack 2 (64-Bit), DirectX 11, DirectX 9.0c (4.09.00.0904). Never heard before about Shadertoy. I can check it only in Chrome, not in Firefox.

I am one of the true Winamp- & Milkdrop Fans, an artist-colleague has just joined the Facebook-Page "Milkdrop Visualizer", and I am always finding other true fans or people, who will become true fans later. I have my photo-galleries in the internet and I am also in contact with many other video-artists. I have also mentioned the dance clubs & concert halls with video-projectors and very large screens so many times, and I have mentioned "Stereomix" in the recordings devices on computers and the URL "linein://" in Winamp in many threads. There is so much potential, and I want to see Winamp & Milkdrop also in the future.

In Germany and maybe also in other countries many people have to work overtime. They are at home only rarely, they have no time to relax and they earn so less money for their hard work, so that they cannot buy very much. But there are also people, who are very glad, if they are at home finally. They start their TV, PCs or notebooks, and the most of them want to relax, before they have to go to bed. There are also possibilities to enjoy Milkdrop in the bed with a notebook and a bed-table, with a TV in front of the bed or with a video-projector. I hope, that there are enough people, who have more place at home and who are not forced to live in too small apartments with only 1 room. But also in smaller apartments solutions can be found to enjoy the Milkdrop Visualizer.

Nitorami, You don't need to feel alone on this forum. I want to give You moral support as well as I can. You are such a good preset author, Your presets belong to the best presets ever. And I want to say again: Keep up Your good work!...

Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop > MilkDrop Presets