Old 30th October 2012, 16:55   #1
callibsoffm

Winamp 5.63 has problems on Windows 8 pro 64

Hello,

I am figuering out the following problems running Winamp on Windows 8 pro 64:

1. Scanning my medialibrary on a Windows Home Server forces Winamp to crash after a few minutes. So it is not possible to scan my medialibrary.

2. File types don´t work correctly. After every restart of winamp all file types are chosen. The personal choice is lost after changing the menue.

Is there any idea what is wrong?

With kind regards.

Alexander
callibsoffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2012, 08:26   #2
bauxite69

Hi,

I'm having the same problems.
Winamp 5.63 on new install Windows 8 Pro 64

Thank you
bauxite69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012, 15:27   #3
iron2000

Having the filetypes problem here too.
It doesn't seem to reflect whats in winamp.ini

No matter what i do it forgets my selection and defaults to all filetypes selected.
But it doesn't get the association for any filetype at all.
Winamp doesn't show in the "Default Programs" control panel as well.

So I suppose filetype association is broken for Winamp in Windows 8.
Luckily Winamp still plays mp3, at least for the moment.
Hope a new version is in the works to make Winamp fully compatible with Windows 8.

Thanx
iron2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2012, 01:04   #4
iron2000

Also global hotkeys aren't global, it works only when the playlist is focused.
Ok, disabled itype.exe and the problem is gone.

Thanx
iron2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2012, 06:05   #5
reganzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by callibsoffm View Post
Hello,
File types don´t work correctly. After every restart of winamp all file types are chosen. The personal choice is lost after changing the menue.
Winamp 5.63 x86 on Win8 x64 Pro

I can confirm this. All files are selected, changes are lost as soon as the File Types panel is not selected. Running as administrator does not help. "Restore file associations on Winamp start" does not help.
reganzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2012, 16:13   #6
DrO

it's likely something simple which is causing the failure (which i can confirm is present now that i've had a few minutes to try it myself) as i know another player was having a similar issue with the OS API which i believe it and Winamp also use for registering the associations.

as looking at Control Panel\Programs\Default Programs\Set Associations there are a number of Winamp.File.extension entries all shown against an 'Unkown application' which makes me think it's due to a change in the handling / requirements of the OS API used.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2012, 16:35   #7
DrO

a few mins of searching and it's completely expected behaviour as per http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/libr...r_desktop_apps

so you need to go to that option yourselves and then select things _once_ you've made your selection. the only Winamp bug is that it isn't populating the list in the Winamp preferences in an expected manner when re-loading the dialog so there is a bug in that behaviour which needs to be fixed. otherwise, it is working in an expected manner especially when compared to other media players from a quick test.

the reason for this in the OS is to leave the user in control instead of the app in control (which makes sense as per the build talk i watched last night) but in this case i can see it being annoying / repeatedly reported as a Winamp bug when it's not (once the population of the list is resolved).

-daz
Old 13th November 2012, 22:02   #8
DrO

final update on this for a while from me (and to serve as a note for when/if i come back to it)... i believe i've got things to a point which allows for things to work via the 'set default programs' view (which is the only place it is allowed to be set as mentioned above / in the Win8 docs).

as such it's going to require a different "file types" preference page as "Restore file associations on Winamp start" and all of the buttons for "Set selection:" are no longer usable with how things now need to work on Win8. as well the list of associations shown would need to be 'disabled' as the current toggle effect won't work now - but is still needed to allow for the icons to be changed when using the icon pack modes.

as well the setup process would need to be changed to make it possible to access the page or some sort of ui change as what is currently provided would no longer be appropriate.

-daz
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support