Old 3rd February 2011, 21:17   #1
Neil Bomb'd

Seamlessly moving from audio to nsv and back

Here's what I'm trying to do: I want to have a night where I do audio-only broadcasting over shoutcast for a while, and then move to video, and then back to audio etc.

I have used NSV before, and it worked great, but that was when I was just playing video after video. today, I tried moving from audio to video and back, and each time, it required the viewers/listeners to restart their player.

Is there a way around this? I set the audio bitrate the same in the encoded video, as it was for the shoutcast audio. It's all pre-encoded video I want to do, rather than live stuff.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Edit: Oh yeah, one thing I tried was getting the NSV activex website plugin, to see if that would cope with the switch, but it seems nullsoft.com/nsv/ is down now, and I think perhaps that's had an effect onthe plugin.
Old 3rd February 2011, 22:20   #2
jaromanda
Forum King

no way around it ... the "bitstream" is completely different, you must reconnect, and the listeners must reconnect also

however ... the NSV stream itself is capable of "turning" video on and off midstream, pretty sure a properly written nsv player wouldn't bomb out ... however, no nsv source (i.e. nsvcap) is capable of performing this function

Is it just me or are shoutcast users getting dumber?
jaromanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 23:58   #3
Neil Bomb'd

Thank you for your reply. I feared that would be the case. I was looking at different servers, like PicoStreamer, and the Red5 flash thing, but I guess that's going to run into the same problems. What a shame. I would use nsv all the time if this was possible.

Are there any alternative casting solutions I could use, even?
Old 4th February 2011, 00:13   #4
jaromanda
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Bomb'd View Post
Are there any alternative casting solutions I could use, even?
there is an alternative NSV casting tool somewhere in this forum (smelter made it) ... though it also doesn't allow you to switch the video component on and off ... theoretically it could be done by him

by the way, I'm more or less guessing that the player could handle the video data being switched on and off from the point of view of my experience with streaming NSV to flash ... I can't be sure how winamp or vlc for instance would react to a lack of video data for any significant length of time ...

it's a fact that your "frames per second" in nsv is the number of NSV frames per second, not necessarily video frames per second - that stumped me for a while - winamp definitely doesn't mind the occasional nsv frame with no video data ... but as I already said ... who knows about extended periods of no video data

Is it just me or are shoutcast users getting dumber?
jaromanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > SHOUTcast > SHOUTcast TV / Nullsoft Video