Old 7th August 2009, 09:46   #1
Drabarno

Send a message via Yahoo to Drabarno
What is the best method to hoth shoutcast NSV services

I am working on converting all my old lectures and streaming them for free, but I want to host the files locally, do I need a dedicated server to do so. Or should I do like some others and have the files hosted online.

I am concerned about web2.0. I read the guides and writepapers, and if others have done so they'd never let someone else host files, and media they own, cause the laws and business policies are arguing that the hosts techncially own "all media" on property they own. Thus all uploaded material belongs to them and not to the one that uploaded anything.

Thus, since I hear shoutcast uses the least resources of all streamng servers and is also the most secure, I wondered if I should go with that. I've used it to host on networks before, but only for me and few others on campus, never for a larger and public streaming site. Thus, I'm asking for clues.

The configuration I was told was to have a dedicated site server and a seperate media sever. I was told of a few plugins that allow a page to filelink to the lecture. But I want the tutorials and lectures to be relabled on the site, and was going to use worded descriptions and a screenshot image. The image was going to be used as the trigger for accessing the file, as it would authorize a per session access for the user to view the file. I didn't want the link nor the filenames to be seen. As I have watched many grabbers use this method to steal licensed works. But, I am usually on the other side of the network, So I never got to really see the users viewpoint, as I am just a network technician (hardware side). I just get the components to work and playnice with each other, the admins were the ones whom played and tweaked them after that.

So any pointers? Again, the question was "if one was leaving the IT field after 12 years of keeping logbooks, writings, and video lectures, and the lectures and training videos for just about every helpdesk question ever asked and many that havent been dealt with on the consumers-side yet. If these videos were to be streamed on a network for public viewing, what system would be best used for a shoutcast server?

I have four dual opteron servers running xp server, and old quad intel server running NTserver4.0 (it had a 20yrs licensing contract So even if it's old I want to get the most out of the stupid contract, even if it's not supported anymore.) I have three network storage racks,,, not all slots are filled cause I had to sell some of the drives to make up for clients checks bouncing, or they file bankruptcy yet tried to make me continue services to them. Which is why I am leaving IT for good. Or until peoples checks don't bounce.
Drabarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2009, 17:09   #2
Smelter
Major Dude

The best method to host shout cast tv services is (deleted).

(deleted) seems to be the widest distribution, and (deleted) is free.

Be Nice Smelter
Smelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2009, 16:43   #3
Jkey
Forum King

Use flash media to deliver your lectures if you require an on demand service.

SHOUTcast tv/nsv has its limits it would be a shame if you had to re-encode all your lectures again in the future.

I would love to know what smelter said that made a mod edit it ?(just out of intrest)
Jkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2009, 20:44   #4
Smelter
Major Dude

OMG! WTF!

Oh yeah, this forum is ONLY in the interests of the AOL media conglomerate.

It's not my fault that 'those in charge' and their lack of investment follow through in regards to the nsv format.

Just think how easy it would have been to add 'Web 2.0' functionality into nsv streams which would take advantage of the public api's that exist now....

Unfortunatly they missed the boat.

Although, thanks for the codec licenses ! The one decent thing that I saw AOL invest in... then just let it rot on the vine.
Old 8th August 2009, 21:02   #5
Jkey
Forum King

young sir you remind me of my wife,she moans often too.

To what codecs do you refer to ?
aacplus v2 is still used daily by shoutcasters and vp3 was open source anyway ?
Was vp6 ever licenced or did on2 just turn a blind eye to promote their codec ?(i really dont know).

There is no doubt that aol let the nsv format slide,but dont count out "shoutcast tv" just yet.Eventially someone behind a desk who probably never watched an nsv channel will realise its potential, adapt it into a money generating monster.

I see a brand shoutcast tv beta and then i see its parent beta project nsv,they are different entitys in my opinion.
One has a future the other does not.

To finish i have not seen much movement from the open source flash server you champion so often.
Old 8th August 2009, 21:29   #6
Smelter
Major Dude

If they pull out something cool, I am game to try it...

I dont mean the codecs are not used, I mean they dished out the money and then stopped moving forward visibly.

Sure, they may look at my post history and count many negative comments towards the futility of setting up a network based on nsv, however, without a decent delivery out side of winamp, its useless.

As far as movement is concerened within the OSFlash community, I would have to point out that you must not be on the mailing list or paying too much attention.

Once I started using my open source champion, I have had steady full time work as a programmer supporting said champion.

Until nsv matures, if it does with robust scripting support, I do not suspect that I could make a dime with any file who's extension is 'nsv'.

I suspect another 'ban' from the AOL overlords is coming my way.
Old 8th August 2009, 21:35   #7
Smelter
Major Dude

YO! AOL! you want to jump back in the game?

Release a iPhone/iTouch player for nsv.tv

IMeadiatly you would be of interest to my clients.
Old 8th August 2009, 21:43   #8
Jkey
Forum King

I dont see a ban.

Im still not sure about the open source java based server
it had limitations that still have not been addressed.
There are far easyier solutions to stream content and for flash remoting out there that dont require you to jump through hoops or stalk maillists waiting for solutions.

I know a man,he constantly tells everyone that he has loads of work and is raking in cash.
He brags how his field of work makes him better than everyone else and that he is so skilled in what he does.

The man maybe talented at what he does,but cleans toliets for a living.

Nobody likes people bragging about how great they are at something only a limited group of people are even intrested in.

Thats a heads up not an insult.
Old 8th August 2009, 21:58   #9
Smelter
Major Dude

hah, not to mention that I define it as good if I can make a living on it...
Old 8th August 2009, 22:25   #10
Jkey
Forum King

You can make money cleaning toliets too !
And the work will never run out

[edit] **removed comments about cleaning aol toliets
for corp privacy and security reasons ** [/edit]
Old 9th August 2009, 04:50   #11
toqer
Winamp's Little Stalker
(Member)

Quote:
Originally posted by Jkey
The man maybe talented at what he does,but cleans toliets for a living.
Dude, don't bring me into this...
toqer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2009, 05:52   #12
Jkey
Forum King

Old 9th August 2009, 13:58   #13
wildex999

Quote:
Originally posted by Smelter
YO! AOL! you want to jump back in the game?

Release a iPhone/iTouch player for nsv.tv

IMeadiatly you would be of interest to my clients.
Heh, been there, tried that.
Unless Apple provides us(Iphone OS) with the tools to access their hardware video/audio decoder, that won't be possible on any iphone/ipod before Iphone 3GS(3GS has some arm cpu instructions that help decoding)

I tried writing a quick test to see if it worked with my Ipod Touch 2G, and while it does decode, and at times can actually be watchable, it won't seem to decode more than 10-13fps with any codecs(VP3, VP6 or H264), it might be that there just needs to be some extra optimizations needed to make it work, maybe I'll look more into it later

Or for those who want to try, here is the source:
http://embedplayer.com/NSVPlayer.rar

Including libNSV and instructions on how to build ffmpeg(libavcodec).
The decoding is happening in the file EAGLView.m under Classes.

have fun ^^
P.S(Joining the flash battle): Flash has realy slow video decoders, thats what ya get for trying to be cross-platform.
wildex999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2009, 15:59   #14
Jkey
Forum King

Hey thanks for putting in the time we need more people like you
Old 9th August 2009, 17:19   #15
sankt

Wildex999,

Could you add your NSVlib as a module to the latest version of VLC, for encoding ?

Scenic Television is your ambient window to the world - - Television.ScenicRadio.com
sankt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2009, 18:05   #16
wildex999

Quote:
Originally posted by sankt
Wildex999,

Could you add your NSVlib as a module to the latest version of VLC, for encoding ?
I haven't seen the VLC source, so I don't know, but I can take a look at it when I get the time

Note: Wow, have we gone off-topic =D
Old 9th August 2009, 18:50   #17
Smelter
Major Dude

You get access to the hardware decoders by providing content in the supported container and playing with the oem api. ( rtsp/rtp)
Old 9th August 2009, 19:37   #18
Smelter
Major Dude

So, theoretically, you should be able to use VLC and transcode to rtsp output on your local host, and run a local html server. And check the way the play link is set up at youtube xml data feed. Then you can hit the local link with your iTouch player.
Old 9th August 2009, 19:52   #19
wildex999

One could probably do an on-the-run version of that for nsv encoded with vp6. Transcode using libavcodec,host localy and then pass it into the built in flash/YouTube player. But the built in h264 player is limited to specially encoded files :/
Old 9th August 2009, 20:16   #20
Smelter
Major Dude

mux and de mux code is here

http://www.gdcl.co.uk/mpeg4/index.htm#20090406
Old 9th August 2009, 22:17   #21
bored_womble
Winamp's Womble

Quote:
Originally posted by Jkey
I dont see a ban.

Im still not sure about the open source java based server
it had limitations that still have not been addressed.
There are far easyier solutions to stream content and for flash remoting out there that dont require you to jump through hoops or stalk maillists waiting for solutions.

The open source flash projects, some of which I have been involved with, are unfortunately hampered by the changes made by Adobe on a semi regular basis.

Also, and this is the real kicker, many people involved think it will be relatively simple but takes much longer than expected and move on to other projects.

Writing a semi compliant TCP server for Flash objects is not easy.

BW

Without open minds the world will die. Open yours and correct the mistakes you are making right now.
bored_womble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 17:04   #22
Jkey
Forum King

That told me

Thanks for the input
Old 10th August 2009, 18:40   #23
Smelter
Major Dude

in a choice between semi regular developments versus complete stagnation, I'm moving with the former.
Old 10th August 2009, 20:19   #24
Jkey
Forum King

Stagnation is a word used to describe marriage.

Please use something else in regards to nsv.
Like:
Statically developed super duper format.
Old 10th August 2009, 22:51   #25
wildex999

Bah, NSV is developed in bursts =P
NSV just needs some love from management, get the ball rolling... Like say, by getting Shoutcast TV server open-source?
Old 11th August 2009, 01:48   #26
sankt

You can stream NSV with the open source Icecast media server, the UltraVox server is also open source.

Scenic Television is your ambient window to the world - - Television.ScenicRadio.com
sankt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 23:25   #27
Drabarno

Sorry dor the delayed response...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkey View Post
Use flash media to deliver your lectures if you require an on demand service.

SHOUTcast tv/nsv has its limits it would be a shame if you had to re-encode all your lectures again in the future.

I would love to know what smelter said that made a mod edit it ?(just out of intrest)
- I used the flash since I already had it in flash. they are small/easy to convert. and run on most devices. I should have noted, I was working on this project for other students like me which wanted to stream our courses online. I am taking Anthropology. Not many in this field. but flash worked fine in most cases but people were stealing the lectures in flash since it stored locally. NSV worked on PCs, iphone, and other devices (some glitches on WP7, but that is being fixed) yeah, shoutcast video/audio works on WP7. when I was former IT we used to use NSV because we noted it bypasses most video filters. [it looks just like normal data, not media data, so most people don't try to steal it. also it runs nice without losing much quality, and we have ways to add our logos and stuff.] being as some phone don't have much storage is why I want to use shoutcast. I can't afford all those fancy gadgets with expanded drives. The lectures I was converting are old college archive materials we converted to digital so the original taps and LP's can be stored in the archive vaults. (on campuses nation wide we are seeing the most stolen material are the archives. and we saw they use a grabber or website off-line tool. the tools don't grab the NSV files we noted.)
Old 9th August 2011, 23:37   #28
Drabarno

I've used that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildex999 View Post
Heh, been there, tried that.
Unless Apple provides us(Iphone OS) with the tools to access their hardware video/audio decoder, that won't be possible on any iphone/ipod before Iphone 3GS(3GS has some arm cpu instructions that help decoding)

I tried writing a quick test to see if it worked with my Ipod Touch 2G, and while it does decode, and at times can actually be watchable, it won't seem to decode more than 10-13fps with any codecs(VP3, VP6 or H264), it might be that there just needs to be some extra optimizations needed to make it work, maybe I'll look more into it later

Or for those who want to try, here is the source:
http://embedplayer.com/NSVPlayer.rar

Including libNSV and instructions on how to build ffmpeg(libavcodec).
The decoding is happening in the file EAGLView.m under Classes.

have fun ^^
P.S(Joining the flash battle): Flash has realy slow video decoders, thats what ya get for trying to be cross-platform.
I like you know your tools. what people seem to not notice is in the GNU we are already using modern Codecs within the NSV formats. it isn't complicated. all you do is take theoriginal, format to output in updated codecs of most peoples choice. We used the "standard psx since it plays on iphone, pc, and even palm and windows phones." then run our nsv converter with an free add-in from sourceforge and ooh, we have HD quailty in small files. runs smooth, doesn't have to store locally, which is important in my area where like every five minutes the airport seems to interfere with wifi or if we are on the bus. good wifi, be we wanted a 3g/4g network to also run nice. downloads on the move suck n 4g. the networks switch like every 2minutes cutting off your downloads. with shoutcast it picks up with nothing more then a few microseconds of lag, hardly noticed by most people.
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > SHOUTcast > SHOUTcast TV / Nullsoft Video