Old 5th February 2011, 22:11   #1
Subfader

It's 2011. Time to move on: Alternatives for SHOUTcast/NSV?

Hi, I used SHOUTcast/NSVcap for quite a while now and I think it's time to move on.

Atm we use NSVcap for webcam streaming but it's low resolution only and the lack of browser embedd support sucks big time. using a help page to tell the users to download files into firefox folders and restart is so 1999!

i'm looking for webcam-stream software that
* can easily be installed on a linux server without much skills
* has a GUI for PC users
* can stream in HD vid (everything higher than 360x240) and audio (320 kbps mp3 or aac)
* can be embedded on a website , universally working by e.g. a flash player or iframe
* let's you embed listener stats (as with SHOUTcast scripts: if on air read stats; if off, read default text)
* can be recorded or ripped by the streaming DJ and maybe listener

anyone knows such a wonder tool?

let me know!
Subfader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2011, 22:40   #2
jaromanda
Forum King

There are two reasons why your quest will faill:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subfader View Post
Quote:
* can be embedded on a website , universally working by e.g. a flash player or iframe

Is it just me or are shoutcast users getting dumber?
jaromanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2011, 12:26   #3
herr_roessi

Quote:
And what about a software that

* can be installed on a linux server without getting too involved?
* that works on the major browsers?
herr_roessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2011, 14:21   #4
Subfader

bump
Subfader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 07:06   #5
rockouthippie
Banned

Have you checked out ustream? You don't install anything. It's embeddable and it's free. I have not used this, but I've heard good things about it. You don't need a server. You don't need anything. Well.... Maybe Charlie Sheen could have used some Librium before he used it... and a shower...

http://bit.ly/gSlq32
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 17:06   #6
Fariakit

Winamp Forums - Reply to Topic

Quote:
Hi, I used SHOUTcast/NSVcap for quite a while now and I think it's time to move on. Atm we use NSVcap for webcam streaming but it's low resolution only and the lack of browser embedd support sucks big time. using a help page to tell the users to download files into firefox folders and restart is so 1999! i'm looking for webcam-stream software that * can easily be installed on a linux server without much skills * has a GUI for PC users * can stream in HD vid (everything higher than 360x240) and audio (320 kbps mp3 or aac) * can be embedded on a website , universally working by e.g. a flash player or iframe * let's you embed listener stats (as with SHOUTcast scripts: if on air read stats; if off, read default text) * can be recorded or ripped by the streaming DJ and maybe listener anyone knows such a wonder tool? let me know!
Fariakit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 22:01   #7
objemi

Winamp Forums - Reply to Topic

Quote:
Quote:
objemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 01:35   #8
stickman82

As already suggested try UStream.tv or others like livestream.com, justin.tv, viewerone.com

Very hard to make video 100% compatible with all devices and even harder to get all the extra things you are looking for, but if you know any scripting you should be able to accomplish many of your goals.
stickman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2011, 15:53   #9
zebradrive

Send a message via ICQ to zebradrive Send a message via AIM to zebradrive
wowzamedia dot com will do all you need but it is not free. I have tested and it is great.
zebradrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2011, 01:40   #10
fastfeet

Wow it's been a while since I was back here but boy is it good to be back! I've had a fair bit of experience with shoutcast and using the nsv container, but... my thoughts are with Subfader on this to a point.

Shoutcast TV has a lot of great points to it; in particular I love the workflow & environment, GUI's that have been available and the playlist functionality. My shopping list is similar to Subfaders, so I'd like to do 1 of 2 things with the community here: either help develop the Shoutcast TV as much as possible with others on the forum, or help us all by finding a new, flexible and free/open source solution.

So any ideas or if anyone wants to help join me - also Subfader, I think we should get in contact...
fastfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 20:10   #11
oLRi

Don't need something other

Hmm....Thought a long time about answering this post, but may now its the time to write my thoughts about an alternative to shoutcast tv:

I don't tink its necassary to search for a differend method for video streaming.

We're a Webradio, broadcasting 24/7. We're almonst the hole time 1st place of nullsoft's ranking (shoutcast tv list in winamp).
I'm responsible for the developing process at this webradio. Some basics:
- We're broadcasting 2 Channels
- We're broadcasting with VP8 (WebM), AACP
- We're broadcasting simuntaniusly live in: NSV, Flash, iPhone-Video-Stream, JustinTV, sperate Audiochannels (in the past also in mms (windows media) but no one used it )

With a little help with smelter from this forum and some idias (or visions) we developed our own methods for live stream-transcoding. So we don't use smelters red5-plugin (it doesn't support webm) and we don't use wowza. And so on...its all done by our own software.
Our DJs stream only with NSVCap to one Shoutcastserver. ALL the rest is done by our servers, which live-transcode this stream to the different formats. Also ustream.tv is theoreticly possible but their flash-server doesn't accept my rtmp stream - can't figure out why...

So as you can see, its possible with nsv to stream also in modern formats with a little help. Sure I would appreciate some new software for NSV from Nullsoft, but because they decieded to stop this wonderfull project does not mean that you can't custimize things you like to support.
We searched alot for new methods that are as good as nsv for our setup. But by now we didn't find anything that fits our need.

Greetings...
oLRi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2011, 15:52   #12
sankt

There does exist a NSVLib (open source) that can be used to write data into the NSV format.
It is free and open source ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/nsvlib/ )

This Library could be added to VLC to format a stream into NSV compliant data. VLC is multi platform and has a lot of great features. VLC is also capable of encoding into many audio and video codecs.

The tools are there - its just a matter of tinkering with VLC.

Scenic Television is your ambient window to the world - - Television.ScenicRadio.com
sankt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 03:38   #13
Jeeper One
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockouthippie View Post
Have you checked out ustream? You don't install anything. It's embeddable and it's free. I have not used this, but I've heard good things about it. You don't need a server. You don't need anything. Well.... Maybe Charlie Sheen could have used some Librium before he used it... and a shower...

http://bit.ly/gSlq32
One problem nowadays - IN-STREAM ADVERTISING (Ads DURING the stream)

Sadly, this practice has become an industry

Cheers

Pat Cook
Englewood, CO
Jeeper One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2011, 22:57   #14
sankt

Bandwidth and servers cost money. These companies must sustain a profit in order to provide services.
Companies have three choices of generating income to provide services:

1. Charge broadcasters
2. Charge viewers
3. Run advertising

Scenic Television is your ambient window to the world - - Television.ScenicRadio.com
Old 16th September 2011, 06:02   #15
p0rt

adobe does a server for embedded flash players
http://www.adobe.com/products/flashmediaserver/
p0rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2011, 01:56   #16
sankt

There are several encoder / server software packages available for flash streaming - for various operating systems.
- HOWEVER -
Flash may be rapidly coming to a close - with both Apple and Microsoft mobile not incorporating that into the scheme of things.

Old 19th September 2011, 03:42   #17
p0rt

mobile is nothing. flash is the internet...
Old 19th September 2011, 12:16   #18
sankt

Flash is more of a security risk than microsoft windows. Many Internet portals are providing HTML 5 media support in response to Apples refusal to support Flash.

Old 19th September 2011, 13:34   #19
p0rt

maybe, but html 5 is worthless. mobile browsers based on java are dying out along with the phones they run on, phones can run games like quake 3, then phones can run full browsers.

battery life isnt really an issue, as nobody actually browses the net properly on a mobile device, the screen is too anoying and you will get mugged

and is probaly why google does`nt really care much for html 5, they will just put chrome on all future andriod phones they sell with the motorola takeover
Old 20th September 2011, 02:28   #20
sankt

The past year, sales of mobile devices and tablet type devices have exceeded desktop / laptop computers. If the portable devices continue this trend in sales - then web developers have no alternative but to follow what the portable device manufacturers dictate in regards to applications that can run on their operating system.

Old 20th September 2011, 04:56   #21
p0rt

it doesnt really mean nothing, most people dont use the net for much. they can browse on the tv and select movies, and buy stuff from shops on the notepad and tablets

desktop users will always be loosers and loners, or people at work, and the rise in sells was just a trend while they were the only way to access an easier life, while moms n dads run around after the kids all day
Old 20th September 2011, 06:19   #22
jaromanda
Forum King

[QUOTE=p0rt;2803635]desktop users will always be loosers and loners/QUOTE]

it's spelled losers - irony

Old 20th September 2011, 15:33   #23
p0rt

unless its on a forum pic then its l00z3r ;|
Old 21st September 2011, 23:23   #24
sankt

You could drive a fleet of Mac Trucks through all the security holes that Flash has.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09..._flash_update/

Old 21st September 2011, 23:30   #25
sankt

The future of Flash

Flash's long-term prospects will no doubt be tied to usage. Even then, some Web-based organizations are already shifting away from Flash, in favor of HTML5.

Web property SlideShare, which offers a website for sharing PowerPoint presentations, is one such entity moving more tasks to HTML5. "We're reducing the amount of Flash on our site," says Jon Boutelle, SlideShare's CTO. "It's primarily because it's really hard to find engineers who want to work in Flash. It's perceived as a designer tool, not an engineer's tool."

http://news.techworld.com/applicatio...ry-turns-away/

Old 21st September 2011, 23:55   #26
jaromanda
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by sankt View Post
You could drive a fleet of Mac Trucks through all the security holes that Flash has.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09..._flash_update/
almost as many as Windows itself ... almost

Old 22nd September 2011, 01:38   #27
p0rt

flash has security holes, so is the whole windows OS, flash isnt just about little audio and video clips, there are games, maps, panoramic corporate plans, better webpage adverts. and 100s of other uses that make the internet
Old 22nd September 2011, 01:54   #28
jaromanda
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0rt View Post
flash has security holes, so is the whole windows OS, flash isnt just about little audio and video clips, there are games, maps, panoramic corporate plans, better webpage adverts. and 100s of other uses that make the internet
the only things (currently) that flash can do that isn't supplanted by other technologies i.e. html5, css, javascript - is:

a) cross platform (at least windows/linux/osx) video and audio - at least until all browsers support a common <video> and <audio> codec

b) cross platform (at least windows/linux/osx) webcam/microphone input

Old 22nd September 2011, 04:17   #29
p0rt

those codes are all 1988, if you remove flash from the net, it will take the look of all websites back to 1998. and all those people who dont really use the net much but to buy stuff wont enjoy it, they wont use it, the internet boom that was will trully be over and billions of $ would be wiped out

you can watch and listen to audio and watch youtube vids on symbian cellphones, the mediaplayer might run as as seperate process, but it works
Old 22nd September 2011, 04:28   #30
jaromanda
Forum King

Quote:
those codes are all 1988, if you remove flash from the net, it will take the look of all websites back to 1998. and all those people who dont really use the net much but to buy stuff wont enjoy it, they wont use it, the internet boom that was will trully be over and billions of $ would be wiped out
what a load of bollocks. less than 5% of websites I visit regularly use flash
Quote:
you can watch and listen to audio and watch youtube vids on symbian cellphones, the mediaplayer might run as as seperate process, but it works
youtube is ONE SITE - your point is lost on me

Old 22nd September 2011, 05:39   #31
p0rt

go see what your nan and granddad gets up too, and the billions of other clueless people in the world who can hardly work there way around notepad, and think they have IT skills when they can type a letter in word
Old 22nd September 2011, 11:02   #32
sankt

I run OpenBSD on a Laptop and Fedora on a Desktop and I personally get along fine with HTML 5.
I don't miss Windows rubbish one bit or the associated headaches of "helper software".

Old 22nd September 2011, 11:51   #33
p0rt

windows gets jazzed up more every year for all the people that dont really care about how anything works and to make their desktop use a more enjoyable experience

with just some lame little htm5 embeded audio and video on your little mobile device, websites couldnt have stuff for kids and all those that just use the internet http://www.disney.co.uk/disneyonice/worldsoffantasy/
Old 22nd September 2011, 15:54   #34
jaromanda
Forum King

Quote:
windows gets jazzed up more every year for all the people that dont really care about how anything works and to make their desktop use a more enjoyable experience

with just some lame little htm5 embeded audio and video on your little mobile device, websites couldnt have stuff for kids and all those that just use the internet http://www.disney.co.uk/disneyonice/worldsoffantasy/
angry birds in chrome ... I do believe it uses no flash

the reason why most games are still written in flash is because html5 is still relatively new

flash's reign as king of internet games is coming to an end

don't get me wrong. I like flash, but what I use it for can only be done in flash. If it can be done without flash, then I do it without flash

Old 22nd September 2011, 20:28   #35
p0rt

doubt it, html5 is pure shit, and is just standard html with some audio and video tags, if html5 could destroy anything it would be html4 and nothing more, especially php and flash

and each browser will have its own worthless little integrated players to parse and play html5 tags, and the player would bas as out of place as having or using embeded windows mediaplayer, then having a custom flash player to suit your site
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > SHOUTcast > SHOUTcast TV / Nullsoft Video