Old 22nd August 2018, 04:29   #1
Vizn

Better Artist/Album sorting

I would love it if Winamp would sort my music as best it can based on the year in the ID tag. I recently replaced a hard drive and simply copied my music collection to the new drive. Now every file and folder has the same creation date.

I prefer to use 'last updated' so I can see the latest additions at the top of the 'All Artists' list, which works for any new albums added since the copy, but it doesn't hold when I select a specific artist to see their albums.

Seems like Winamp could possible use the ID tag year and create some kind of indexing file when the library is scanned for quick referencing when launching or browsing.

It could even do searches for any files missing the year, altho this could be time consuming, so maybe just put any unknown year files at the end of the album list as an indication to be fixed.
Vizn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2018, 01:57   #2
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
yeah, its an old problem.

if u drill down to a single artist, u can get the albums/album artwork in year order, but unfortunately this only works when viewing a single artist (or albumartist).

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2018, 13:28   #3
EmmaOlivia
Banned

That's so true......
Album sorting is still not that good.
Sometimes it is hard to find the songs from albums.
EmmaOlivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2018, 15:53   #4
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

You can sort by year in the media library!

But yes, the "year" sort is probably not ideal.

It sorts in order of the follow fields: year, then artist, album, disc #, track #

If it sorted by albumartist instead of artist, that would likely solve the problem.

also, you can look for missing "year" fields by typing the following query in the media
code:
?year is empty
Benski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2018, 15:56   #5
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
hi Benski,

afaik, and i have tried many various ways, the artwork pane, (think icons), will not ever sort artwork properly for year per artist or albumartist, unless only ONE artist/albumartist is selected in the previous pane.

if you pick a year in the previous pane, (instead of artist/albumartist) that doesn't work properly either, b/c only that one years worth of albums is shown, or if u don't pick a year, the artists are then not grouped properly together in the artwork pane.

what is needed is recognition of the artwork pane, that A to Z is not the only sort order when more then one artists artworks are being displayed. sorting by year WITHIN a given artist, even when more than one artists artworks are being displayed, is whats needed.

a possible fix is my wish 1 in my sig. in the artwork pane, u sort first by artist or album artist, then by year, as opposed to album A to Z title. it allows the users' setting of multiple sort criteria hierarchy by pane, which is currently not possible.

so glad to see you able to do some coding for winamp again!

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing

Last edited by MrSinatra; 24th October 2018 at 18:19.
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2018, 18:32   #6
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

Ah, gotcha. The sorting rules I mentioned are for the three-pane text-only views.
Benski is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist