Old 23rd January 2005, 05:55   #1
puma dorado

Question What About Selling Skin Design?

I see that some skins on main page that have an announcements, how i can that??!!

There is a payment for it?, and how much is it?

Who can talk about it?, Who is the right person?

A example is PETROL DESIGNS that make skins for movies, they pay money for it?
puma dorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2005, 09:54   #2
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

The movies in question are usually AOL affilated films and the skins petrol design for them are usually contracted by AOL themselves.

Basically if you wanted to sell a design, it's have to be affiliated somehow to AOL in the first place, either a music artist, film, tv show or something.

General rule of thumb however is they would contract you and not the other way around.

If however you wanna try it, you would more than likely need someone in AOL corporate marketing or something, no I don't have a contact for them, you would probably be best starting on the AOL corporate web site and seeing if there are any contact details there.
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2005, 08:20   #3
puma dorado

Question

Then, if I wanna make a winamp skin for a Movie, TV show or other; publish the skin in this page and receive some money, I should contact AOL for use your program and pay some money for it?

The idea is make a skin, sell to a company, and publish the skin at Winamp.com for free!
Old 25th January 2005, 08:47   #4
Naamloos
Forum King

No, you get contacted if THEY want you to make a skin.
Naamloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2005, 07:50   #5
puma dorado

Lightbulb

Ohhh I see, but if is not an AOL company?

An example, i live in México, a company (TV, Movies, ETC), tells me "make a skin for my company" and publish it at WINAMP.COM, how much it costs?, I mean, they give me some money for the job, but the problem is the trademarks or there is no problem with nullsoft?

I have been lookin in the page but i cant see anything similar, about of the costs for the publicity, if it exists.

forgive me for my bad english
Old 26th January 2005, 13:13   #6
Naamloos
Forum King

Make a skin for my company. Then you are legit to use their brandname and such.(trademark)

THere is no way to buy yourself on the frontpage tho
Old 1st February 2005, 06:02   #7
puma dorado

You wanna a skin made for me?

for your company?
what it is?
Old 1st February 2005, 20:00   #8
Adil
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Adil Send a message via AIM to Adil Send a message via Yahoo to Adil
aahh internet forums... such great places for learning a foreign language.
Adil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2005, 21:43   #9
carlosp
Major Dude

hahaha, yeah and mostly you even cannot not youw own language.
carlosp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2005, 00:47   #10
Foxw

puma dorado: Okay the Deal goes like this.

Said company pays you to make a skin for THEM. Then post to winamp.com for release of it.

There is no Cost to releaseing a Winamp skin. If Said company wishs to get it highlighted they themselfs must contact Nullsoft and work it out.

~Fox
Skins in dev | Prime | Untitled | STARGATE
My Deviantness
Foxw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2005, 16:14   #11
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

But don't forget , if that said company isn't an AOL based company then the chances of the skin getting anywhere near the front page is zero.

If say for example... Sony paid you to make a skin based around a Sony recordings artist, or a Sony produced movie, then there is little chance that AOL will want to promote that on the front page of their site, no matter how much money you offer them to do it, why would they want to promote another companies brands when they have so many of their own to choose from?

get it?
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2005, 02:08   #12
Foxw

Oh that is undisputable Jones.. but well hey.. Wouldn't be the first time I've seen another non competing brand highlighted on a AOL service. (wife uses AOL for her private pcs).

But then I think stating that was sorta un-needed as it's not his concern.

All he needs to know is that (using your example) Sony would pay him to make the skin and post it in winamp.com. It is then Sony's problem negotiating with nullsoft/aol to get it frontpaged.

I was just outlining really what he needed to know as not to confuse him since it's unfortunate that his grasp on english is not fluent, so I kept it as short and consice as possible.

or as Adil said "aahh internet forums... such great places for learning a foreign language."

~Fox
My Deviantness
Old 11th February 2005, 17:58   #13
lectrospin

I think the point is the people making these skins are employees of professional design companies that are contracted to desing for aol etc. not just a few odd part-time skinners. They've been to college got a degree in design and fought off competition to get a job in the design industry and thats probably the only way you'll ever end up being paid to make a winamp skin.
lectrospin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2005, 02:18   #14
Foxw

- lectrospin: *points to frisbeemonkey*.. Well then how do you explain him?.. last i checked Fris didn't finish Post secondary, least not that he's told me, and he still got paid.

Well and then there's Vag... but no need to discuss him. yes it's possible to make money skinning. yes it's easier to get contracts if your part of a Big firm.

But just going to college and having a degree won't mean you'll have any talent. Graphic design is 1/3rd technique, 2/3rds talent.

Well graphic design of any originality and quality, anyone can replicate and draw stick figures but then thier called Business majors

~Fox
My Deviantness
Old 12th February 2005, 13:53   #15
Adil
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Adil Send a message via AIM to Adil Send a message via Yahoo to Adil
commercial winamp skinning is crappy anyway. the best designers arent interested in that.

and no, you dont need to be a rocket scientist at nasa to do quality interfaces. You just need to be talented and professional.
Old 12th February 2005, 15:42   #16
carlosp
Major Dude

since only petrol makes comercial winamp skins you are right. There are good people making winamp skins but not for money look at pete, 883 or me and panos
carlosp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2005, 19:15   #17
Naamloos
Forum King

Being a first year student Industrial Product Design Engineer, you can tell the difference between those part-timer and the professionals.

However, a lot of people self-thaught themself a lot of designing so they can get quality near the pro's.
Old 14th February 2005, 18:18   #18
VAG
Major Dude

Hey Foxw!
Long time to get in there....

Well, for me money isn't everything, to produce a good skin you need 3 simple things:
1 time
2 inspiration
3 talent and technique to accomplish it
just like you've imagined it. (sometimes even better if possible)

Most of those corporate skins look to me so rushed that I don't even look on the big image previews second time.
Some Designers and Coders, sucrifice quality for money.

Well, for me, counts more what will be your rating making a skin as creator, than how much you've got to complete it.

Price isn't everything, maybe I'm too romantic for your eyes atm, but I prefer to be poor and perfect -at least looking me in the mirror- than rich and random/medium....

LaterZzz and whoever believes in Valentine's Day, have a good one, I don't
VAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2005, 23:14   #19
Adil
Major Dude

poor and perfect, heh, that was funny!
Old 15th February 2005, 00:11   #20
eh?one

hey adil, nice search engine
http://www.adildesign.net/
eh?one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2005, 01:27   #21
Adil
Major Dude

yeah, try searching for a "sense of humor" in it

nah seriously, they payed me a fortune for that domain name.
I still wonder why, it doesnt contain neither the word teen nor dorm ?!

Last edited by Adil; 15th February 2005 at 01:52.
Old 15th February 2005, 04:05   #22
eh?one

"Your search - sense of humor - did not match any documents"
eh?one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2005, 13:22   #23
lectrospin

Quote:
Originally posted by Foxw
- lectrospin: *points to frisbeemonkey*.. Well then how do you explain him?.. last i checked Fris didn't finish Post secondary, least not that he's told me, and he still got paid.

Well and then there's Vag... but no need to discuss him. yes it's possible to make money skinning. yes it's easier to get contracts if your part of a Big firm.

But just going to college and having a degree won't mean you'll have any talent. Graphic design is 1/3rd technique, 2/3rds talent.

Well graphic design of any originality and quality, anyone can replicate and draw stick figures but then thier called Business majors
i know that, what i meant was the big corps aol, sony etc. are more likely to employ a design company than bother with individual skinners. Though it is possible to make some money skinning i doubt its possible to make a living from it unless you work for such a design company and are paid a salary. Unfortunatly some people have more respect for qualifications than talent. Hence the amount of lousy design around.
lectrospin is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Modern Skins