Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Modern Skins

Old 20th February 2005, 19:59   #1
tracerh
Banned

Documentation: Are you supposed to reverse engineer existing skins?

Hi All,

I have read all the documentation on winamp.com, including forums and http://docs.wasabidev.org/wasabi_developer_manual before making this post.

I'm a total newbie skinner with a background in C++, Java, XML, scripting, etc. I understand and am happy with 'Modern WA Skin Theory' and would have no trouble implementing it, however the reference documentation seems severly lacking.

Are you supposed to reverse engineer existing skins -- created by mysteriously enlightened beings -- and glean whatever information you can from them or what? I'm sure the functionality exposed in the tutorial isn't all that's available. Surely it wouldn't take to much to publish, at least, a simple reference of XML tags and parameters? What do Winamp developers use as a reference, Psy Power?

So, I would like some pointers as to what route to go down to become aware of all the functionality of the Modern Skin. I have a lot more questions but answering this would probably lead to answering them all.

Thanks in advance for any forthcoming help.

PS. A quicky about gamma groups though, so I can make a start doing some graphics: Is there an ideal palette to use when making a base skin that lends itself well to tweaking with colour themes, i.e greyscale? And is there any utility that gives WYSIWYG editing of colour themes so you don't have to go through an insane development process endlessly editing XML code?
tracerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2005, 20:03   #2
Pointless Envy

The first bit I'm not totally sure about yet either.. But I do know that for the Gamma Groups there is a cool little program out called Gamma Worker.. There is a post on here about it somewhere but I dont have the exact link - sorry...
Pointless Envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2005, 20:03   #3
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Re: Documentation: Are you supposed to reverse engineer existing skins?

Quote:
Originally posted by tracerh
Surely it wouldn't take to much to publish, at least, a simple reference of XML tags and parameters? What do Winamp developers use as a reference, Psy Power?
Actually it probably would, there are no developers left at nullsoft to document such features.

There are however a number of 3rd party tutorials available, most of them are listed in here.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=134422

And these very forums are your best source of information, pretty much every problem, idea, solution, hints, tips and tricks of making winamp modern skins has been covered in here over the last few years.

Point of fact, everything I've ever learnt about skinning winamp, both classic and modern has been from these forums, it's all there if you look for it.

Use the SEARCH in your quest for knowledge, I bet for every problem you can think of there is at least one thread.
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Modern Skins