Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions

Old 31st March 2008, 19:47   #1
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

HOLY SHIT! (or how I went from hating Dell with a passion to falling in love...kinda)

It's been a long, grueling month (plus three more years of on and off chats with tech support) that I've been dealing with those bastards called Dell, over a defective laptop I bought nearly four years ago -- one that has had pretty much every single piece of hardware in it fail or act up at one point or another (you can read the whole back-story here).

Anyhow, after getting the runaround from their corporate office last saturday, I managed to get a hold of this lady who, after venting my frustrations about the laptop and their call transfer hell, told me that she'll take care of everything on monday, and not to worry about a thing.

So at 9:00 this morning I get a call from this guy named Tom, and he tells me that not only are they going to send me a new laptop, but they're gonna send me a damn-expensive one and let me keep my old one! I figured I'd get a refurb replacement, but I wasn't expecting this:

Brand New Dell Inspiron XPS M1730 - Smoke Grey

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 (2.5GHz/800Mhz FSB/6MB cache)
RAM: 2GB DDR2 SDRAM 667
HDD: 400GB (2x200GB) 7200RPM Free Fall Sensor (RAID)
GPU: nVidia SLI Dual GeForce 8800M GTX 1GB
+ AGEIA PhysX 100M Processor
Optical: CD / DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW Drive)
WiFi: Integrated Intel PRO/Wireless 4965a/g/n
Display: 17" TrueLife Widescreen UXGA (1920x1200)
Battery: 85 WHr Lithium Ion Battery (9-cell)
Sound: Integrated High Definition Audio 2.0

Total Value: $3,869 (before tax, shipping, & whatever -- which was all free)

(Here's a screenshot of the order comfirmation)

GD: you know what this means, right? It means that I could easily get three grand for this beast on Craiglist/eBay, finally build my ultimate dream machine, and have at least $1G left to spare!

I'm so happy I could cry.

This is a sig of some nature.

Last edited by Psythik; 31st March 2008 at 22:40.
Psythik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 20:00   #2
zootm
Forum King

Dell are great like that with their corporate customers, but they're less often so nice with normal people.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 20:03   #3
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

I think it was corporate support that I eventually got transferred to, which is why I think they finally agreed to get me a new machine.

Old 31st March 2008, 20:40   #4
Evil Lu
Forum Maitresse

*waltzes in like a blast from the not-so-well-known past*
/proceed to whinge -

Grrrr, Dell. They annoyed me so much recently that I'll never attempt to buy anything from them again.
I got a rebate from the Inland Revenue so thought that I'd buy myself a shiny new laptop with the money before they tried to claim it back for some ungodly reason.
I window-shop around online and decide that Dell seem like a reasonable company to make a purchase from.
Here the fun starts.

1. They didn't take my debit card on their site so I had to phone them.
2. The woman on the end of the phone appeared to be residing in a Bangladeshi call-centre. English was not her first, and probably not her second, language.
3. I am given a delivery date of 11 March. I ordered it beginning February.
4. 5th March I check my delivery status page. It's been delayed to the 11th April.
5. I phone up and cancel my order as I want shiny new toys NOW, especially as my desktop pc had decided to commit suicide.
6. I go down the road to a real shop and buy an Acer, which is better spec and cost less money!
7. Dell now won't leave me alone. They leave up to 5 voice-mails a day to ask about my finance solution. I do not have one. I paid everything up front, they then refunded after a lot of trying to convince me that nearly 2 months was an ideal time to wait for a piece of over-priced machinery.

In summary. I don't like Dell. And I am impatient.
Evil Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 20:49   #5
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

I feel your pain, especially considering how hard I was hit with it over the course of this month. You just have to tug on the right chains, and eventually you'll get what you want (or in your case, don't want) from them. I can send you a PM with some phone numbers to try so you can skip all the crap I went through.

Old 31st March 2008, 20:51   #6
Evil Lu
Forum Maitresse

I'm just ignoring them now. Hopefully they'll get bored speaking to voice-mail.
Evil Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 21:52   #7
P$ycHo™
Flakmonkey!

wow nice res of the monitor! isnt that CPU kinda slow compared to the other stuff?
P$ycHo™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 21:54   #8
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
It was fucking free.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 22:16   #9
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

^ That, and its designed for gaming, so it doesn't need a freakin' 4THz Intel Core 4 Octo. The dual 8800m GTX SLI cards is what really matters.

And in all honesty, I couldn't give two flying shits about the specs; all that really matters to me is that I'll get one hell of a pretty penny when I sell it.

Old 1st April 2008, 01:33   #10
LeadFoot

I can relate. I was planning to build my last box, but didn't have the free time (kids, work, etc.) But the XPS410 I got through my work plan was probably about $900-$1000 that I paid about $600 for (Minus the Windows tax, with Ubuntu 7.04.) It's worked like a charm, but we'll see how it does after the warranty expires....
LeadFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2008, 01:39   #11
eheiney
und keine Eier!

Send a message via AIM to eheiney
Score!

Spiral out, my friend. You will find your way back to yourself, we all will.
I'll be waiting, and shall see you on the other side...
eheiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2008, 07:37   #12
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
Very nice. How/Where do you plan on selling it to ensure a fair price?

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2008, 17:07   #13
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

I've already tried Craigslist and the highest offer I got was $1500 (people actually expect to pay less than 50% for a brand new, never used laptop with a warranty?). I'm going to try eBay next, because I've seen the same laptop go for over $3000 multiple times there. I'm planning on doing a 5-day auction, no reserve, $0.99 starting bid, and free shipping. I'll be happy if I walk away with $2600 after fees and shipping costs.

Old 3rd April 2008, 22:12   #14
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

No reserve?!!??!!one one eleven?!![insert countless igors here]

I hope you plan on bidding with a secondary account just in case no one notices it and it goes for $67.50...

Old 4th April 2008, 00:41   #15
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
nah, just set a reserve price
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2008, 00:42   #16
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by swingdjted
No reserve?!!??!!one one eleven?!![insert countless igors here]

I hope you plan on bidding with a secondary account just in case no one notices it and it goes for $67.50...
Shhhh!!! QUIET! You'll blow my cover!

/But in all seriousness, I am kinda afraid of the exact situation that dlink explained occurring. So I'm going to make it a featured listing and hope for the best. I have no experience in eBay selling, so I hope I don't screw things up.

/So um, eBay experts: how does my listing look so far?

Old 4th April 2008, 01:03   #17
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

1. I think you're crazy.
2. I think I'll see what the going price is in a few days

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
Old 4th April 2008, 01:12   #18
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

What have I got to lose? It was fucking free.

Old 4th April 2008, 01:16   #19
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

As worthless as it sounds, you must include a picture. Renee and I have been selling stuff on ebay for a long time, and if we ever put up an auction without a picture, it wouldn't get sold for much, if at all.

Steal a pic from Dell if you must, and take a pic of the 'sealed box'. It might also be helpful to mention why you're selling such a nice computer. You might say that it was a gift given just after you had bought a good computer that you want to keep or something like that. As bullshitty as it sounds, it works.

Also, make sure that it is very noticeable that you're open to questions about the item, and also make sure that you reinforce the fact that even though it's "as-is", it still carries a useful warranty.

[EDIT]losing a pretty handy portable would suck if you didn't get paid enough for it[/EDIT]

Old 4th April 2008, 01:28   #20
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by swingdjted
As worthless as it sounds, you must include a picture. Renee and I have been selling stuff on ebay for a long time, and if we ever put up an auction without a picture, it wouldn't get sold for much, if at all.

Steal a pic from Dell if you must, and take a pic of the 'sealed box'.
Yeah I'll be including a pic of the unopened box, with me holding a crumpled sign that says "Psythik" or something like that (crumpled because I would presume that would be harder to Photoshop).

Quote:
It might also be helpful to mention why you're selling such a nice computer. You might say that it was a gift given just after you had bought a good computer that you want to keep or something like that. As bullshitty as it sounds, it works.
Well on Craigslist, when I mentioned that I got it for free, it seemed like all of a sudden everyone assumed that I was willing to give it away for next to nothing. But maybe your "got it as a gift & already have a better machine" suggest will work better (and what about "got it as a gift & doesn't have what I need, so I'll be using the money to build a different machine"? Would that work better/worse?).

Quote:
Also, make sure that it is very noticeable that you're open to questions about the item, and also make sure that you reinforce the fact that even though it's "as-is", it still carries a useful warranty.
Thanks for the tip; I'll be sure to include that. But just to be safe, I'm gonna post the final draft here before I list it.

/And while we're here, I have another question: What listing length typically works out for the best? I figure that most people watch an auction a few days before bidding (I do), so I'm guessing that 5-days would be long enough to do such a thing, without it taking forever before I get some money in my hands.

Old 4th April 2008, 01:30   #21
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

I do think that the got it as a gift & doesn't have what I need bit would be a good strategy.

However, that may be because I know that it's true in this case.

Old 4th April 2008, 01:35   #22
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

The crumpled Psythik is a very good idea, but you might want to explain it to people that don't understand why it's there. Personally, I never thought of that, and I might actually steal your idea if you don't mind. If there is tamper proof Dell branded packaging tape, be sure to note that in your pic's description so that they see that your "unopened" claim is genuine.

Both of your ideas for your 'reason to sell' seem pretty good.

Old 4th April 2008, 01:37   #23
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Don't forget that we both know he's telling the truth (or at least trust him enough to believe him).

//This might sound strange but when I see someone on ebay go to such great lengths to show me that they're not full of crap, I'm often less likely to believe them.

Old 4th April 2008, 01:46   #24
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

Meh, good point. But whenever I see the paper thing in a pic, I am personally more likely to bid. And unless I'm dealing with overly-paranoid bidders, I don't think anyone's going to really think twice about my claims.

Old 4th April 2008, 01:49   #25
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

I don't think so either. I'm just reminding you to look at it from the other side as well

Old 4th April 2008, 02:10   #26
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by Psythik
/And while we're here, I have another question: What listing length typically works out for the best? I figure that most people watch an auction a few days before bidding (I do), so I'm guessing that 5-days would be long enough to do such a thing, without it taking forever before I get some money in my hands.
So um, does anyone have an answer to that question?

Also, should I be accepting more than just PayPal? I don't have any experience with any other payment service, so I'm a bit uneasy about accepting anything different.

Old 4th April 2008, 02:28   #27
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

If it's local and pickup, you can accept cash, since you'll actually be there.

As far as auction length, I don't really have an opinion since I've never sold anything worth quite that much (my biggest single-item sale was just under $450.00 (a used Woods Dixie Cutter (large tractor rear mower attachment)), but I think 5-7 days would be ok, since people might not notice the listing right away.

Old 4th April 2008, 02:41   #28
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Also, try to have the listing end when people are home from work and not at 2 in the afternoon.

Old 4th April 2008, 06:51   #29
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
I concur with the previous suggestions.

Multiple pictures are good, but only do 2-3, and the namecard is smart.

Not only did you get it as a gift, but rather than it didn't have what you need, it had MORE than you needed. I love getting more for less than retail, but if it didn't have what you need, maybe it won't have what I need. See the difference?

For an item this expensive, 3-5 days minimum. Let people have a change to find it and watch it. And if you need a price jump, PM me and I'll bid on it

For shipping, offer insurance, and for pickups mention that you will allow pickups ONLY at a pre-determined PUBLIC location. Heck, I've even heard of people meeting in the parking lot of the police station.

I'd also suggest using only PayPal or personal checks, because you can verify both before you ship. I actually just resolved a dispute with PayPal and got my 69.95 back in less than 14 business days.
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2008, 22:44   #30
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

Here's my second draft, formed with help from you guys. How does it look? Hopefully, great, because I'm going to list my auction today at 5:30PM MST (GMT -7)

Old 5th April 2008, 00:18   #31
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

'way more' could look better if written more officially e.g. 'exceeds my needs' or something similar.

You might even add that you need the money for school or something along those lines.

Also, with the transfer of warranty, I was a little scared of the (in the words of someone who might translate it) "find me after I get take your money"... I'd instead just simply make sure the word warranty everywhere else was preceded by the word "transferable" and not say anything else until after the sale.

The ad looks ok as is, and I wouldn't be upset if you didn't take my suggestions, they're just out there for consideration.

Old 5th April 2008, 01:46   #32
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

The laptop is officially for sale. Wish me luck!

/If anyone knows someone whose interested in such a machine, please feel free to point them in the direction of my auction!

Old 5th April 2008, 03:23   #33
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

I posted this two hours ago and it's still not showing up in searches. What the hell!

If I knew this was going to happen I would've made the auction a 7-day.

Old 5th April 2008, 05:43   #34
beanboy89
(Major Dude)
isn't very custom

I'm actually thinking of getting a Dell laptop after my eight-month old HP Pavilion laptop died today. It's still under warranty, so I'm going to get it fixed and then sell it. I'm quite frankly fed up with the quality of HP's stuff, and from what I hear, Dell's laptops have improved a lot recently.

Anyway, back to your thread, Psythik. Good luck with the eBay auction.
beanboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2008, 06:05   #35
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Send a message via AIM to SSJ4 Gogitta
Quote:
Originally posted by Psythik
I posted this two hours ago and it's still not showing up in searches. What the hell!

If I knew this was going to happen I would've made the auction a 7-day.
If I end up buying it for a buck, I apologize in advance...

SSJ4 Gogitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2008, 06:32   #36
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to EfaustuS9 Send a message via AIM to EfaustuS9 Send a message via Yahoo to EfaustuS9
Quote:
Originally posted by SSJ4 Gogitta
If I end up buying it for a buck, I apologize in advance... [Image]
I just squashed any hopes of that happening. As I have just decided to forgo a wendys frosty in hopes of getting the notebook . Is anyone looking for another sixaxis controller? While I was on ebay I figured I'd sell something. I will also note that the controller works on Windows XP and Ubuntu so you dont even need a ps3 to utilize it.

Last edited by EfaustuS9; 5th April 2008 at 06:48.
EfaustuS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2008, 07:04   #37
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

All I gotta say is if I don't see this auction appear in searches by tomorrow morning, I'm gonna be fucking pissed.

/It finally shows up at midnight. 'Bout damn time.

Last edited by Psythik; 5th April 2008 at 08:00.
Old 5th April 2008, 08:35   #38
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Send a message via AIM to SSJ4 Gogitta
Quote:
Originally posted by EfaustuS9
I just squashed any hopes of that happening. As I have just decided to forgo a wendys frosty in hopes of getting the notebook . Is anyone looking for another sixaxis controller? While I was on ebay I figured I'd sell something. I will also note that the controller works on Windows XP and Ubuntu so you dont even need a ps3 to utilize it.
Awwww... I had a buck laying on my desk, too.

Speaking of computers and computer accessories I tell ya what, I'm looking for a usb keyboard for my PS3. Looking for one that folds (not the rubbery flexible ones), and doesn't have the number pad on it.

I like this one, but $50 is a bit much for what amounts to a USB keyboard with a functional crack in it... Anyone have any suggestions for one?

SSJ4 Gogitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2008, 14:43   #39
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to EfaustuS9 Send a message via AIM to EfaustuS9 Send a message via Yahoo to EfaustuS9
Quote:
Originally posted by SSJ4 Gogitta
Awwww... I had a buck laying on my desk, too.

Speaking of computers and computer accessories I tell ya what, I'm looking for a usb keyboard for my PS3. Looking for one that folds (not the rubbery flexible ones), and doesn't have the number pad on it.

I like this one, but $50 is a bit much for what amounts to a USB keyboard with a functional crack in it... Anyone have any suggestions for one?
Looks like you can buy it now for $24.99 on ebay.

EfaustuS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2008, 17:39   #40
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

I just got a bunch of emails last night, and every single one of them sounds like a scammer (I'm probably just going to ignore them):

Quote:
do you have a price set in mind, that you'd be willing to sell this right away? My daughter needs 1 for college and she needs it now. I am paypal read and have a confirmed address. Let me know please, thanks Zig
I'm pretty sure that 4 more days without a laptop isn't going to be life or death for her.

Quote:
Dear seller, I'm interested in immediate purchase of your item.Can i offer you $2,580.00 for the item and for the shipping cost?,I'm paying this amount because, 1 i want to buy these item outrightly and 2,because i have just few days to leave here and resume work on air cos am marine engineer and i do not have time to go on shopping physically.i would have love to bid but as the item is needed urgently as Birthday gift for my dearly friend and this will determine the extend of my love to her.Am so sorry if i may cause any inconveniences.moreover i will like you to end the listing to show your interest, before i make payment via paypal,am ready to pay the 5% paypal charges.so if you are interested,send me your name and your paypal email address, so that i can have your account credited asap.hope to read from you soon.you can get back to me via this email or send paypal money request to:fortunatob@hotmail.com Thanks for your Understanding
And I would like you to learn proper Engilsh. Nice try, though.

Quote:
hello. can you tell me when it was purchased, tag#? do you have a buy now price? i know you dont ship abroad but if we agree, i have a friend in scotsdale that can pick it up, pay you, and ship to me.thanks
Do you see a Buy it Now price? No? Then go away.

Quote:
Hello, what is your buy now price TKS
*sigh*

Quote:
Hello, Will you consider selling this item to me, for an offer of $1,850.00, which also covers the shipping & insurance charges for delivery abroad. Payment would be effected upon your response as i want you to send me your PayPal payment details,If you really want to sell this to me kindly get back to me through my personal email (vegasbeauti@yahoo.com) as i dont check my ebay message often.Kindly get the item off auction for me and send me a paypal payment request to my paypal email above. My regards Kind Regards Deboray keovilay For Instant Message You can email me to any of my mail below: MSN: vegasbeauti1@hotmail.com Yahoo: vegasbeauti@yahoo.com Gmail: vegasbeauti@gmail.com
Tell me what, you triple your offer, and we'll call it a deal.

Quote:
Can you ship to Armenia? Let me to bid, please.
Sorry, can't do that. Too much risk. Thank you, come again.

Quote:
Hi there, Are you okay with $ 4,050.00 USD for this item,this amount also covers the cost of insurance & shipping abroad to a PayPal verified address.An Instant Payment would effected upon your response as i would want you to send me a Payment request or include your PayPal account email address. You can get to email me @ john_bryan2003@yahoo.com as well i await your propmt response in regards to this transaction. John
If you're willing to pay that much, wouldn't it be easier to just buy it straight from Dell? Sorry, you lose. Thanks for playing.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions