Old 16th April 2006, 20:06   #1
Azjo

Dualcore issue

ive had this problem since i got a dualcore cpu and you can read the entire problem description here:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=241133

However, i have sort of fixed the problem.
By using processxp from sysinternals i could change the affinity for System to cpu0 or cpu1(in taskmanager > processes the name is System but its not possible to change affinity there)

Im pretty sure it may be a certain driver in System that winamp is provoking but i have no idea which, and obviously this driver does not work with dualcore.

I am specifically interested in if other dualcore users has experienced problems with theirs?
Azjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2006, 20:57   #2
Azjo

With the help from processxp i have now found out that its the file ntkrnlpa.exe that goes mad and uses 100% on both cores.
And, it is a file from windows xp, so im afraid it really is winamp provoking it.
Old 19th April 2006, 21:00   #3
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

Winamp docked to top of screen with modern skin.

Your windows appears to be running the PAE kernel. I assume you have >4gb of ram, or maybe this is winxp64? Neither of which I have here to check.

CraigF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2006, 21:46   #4
Azjo

I have 2gb g.skill cl 2-3-2-5, but i have tried running it at 3-3-6 to see any difference and there wasnt.
Im not using winxp64 but im thinking about trying it, to see if i can get rid of this problem.

To be even more exact with the filename, when doubleclicking System i see "ntkrnlpa.exe!wctomb+0x5cd" 11 times, and its usually 2 of these that uses all the cpu.

However, i noticed that i can move around with processxp if its up already but the entire explorer.exe is hanging so its not reacting before its finished thinking whatever through.

I have tried to google the filename but theres no information on what this file do. if you know what, please tell

edit: Just looked at the info on the Pae kernel and it seems i can just disable that in the boot.ini
Its still odd that winamp manages to be the only program that can provoke the kernel though.

Last edited by Azjo; 19th April 2006 at 22:30.
Old 20th April 2006, 11:27   #5
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

Well, if you arent using >4gb ram, and arent running winxp64, then it appears your windows is running the wrong kernel. I'm no windows expert, so I cant say if this is correct, but from what ive read, it seems to be the case.

My windows xp isnt using that kernel at all. (1gb ram, none 64bit version)

Old 24th April 2006, 10:52   #6
Azjo

I found out that it was set to >4gb ram in the bios, and i disabled it, but that didnt fix ntkrnlpa.exe from running.
An article at microsoft explains how to prevent it from running though:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;900524

No issues anymore, thanks for enlightening me about the PAE kernel
However, i think winamp may have issues with ntkrnlpa.exe? Since windows runs just fine without winamp running
Old 24th April 2006, 12:14   #7
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

Yep, i'll forward the info to the developers, maybe they can get a test box set up with a lot of ram.

Thanks for the heads up.

Old 24th April 2006, 19:45   #8
dlichterman
Forum King

If you want to send me a couple gigs of RAM ill test it out

Software is like sex: It's better when it's free.-*-If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0-*-Guess the band from pics game
dlichterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2006, 20:55   #9
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

FU, me first!

Old 26th April 2006, 20:55   #10
Azjo

Just get a socket 939 system and dont disable >4gb in bios and install windows? Should do the trick.

edit: Im pretty sure its a mix of ntkrnlpa.exe AND dualcore so make sure you test it with both >4gb ram and dualcore
Since i got no issues when changing affinity to only 1 cpu.
Old 29th October 2008, 15:57   #11
diamondblast

Re: Dualcore issue

Quote:
Originally posted by Azjo
ive had this problem since i got a dualcore cpu and you can read the entire problem description here:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=241133

However, i have sort of fixed the problem.
By using processxp from sysinternals i could change the affinity for System to cpu0 or cpu1(in taskmanager > processes the name is System but its not possible to change affinity there)

I am specifically interested in if other dualcore users has experienced problems with theirs?
I didn't really have the same problem ,but it seems like you have already solved it.... by using the processxp, so basically it looks alright.
diamondblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports