Old 19th November 2002, 11:15   #281
bartibartman

... and this is the big screenshot image...

are $100 enough... lol
Attached Images
File Type: gif screenshot_winamp_big.gif (58.0 KB, 550 views)
bartibartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2002, 23:18   #282
PJay Tycy

Bartibartman, thanks for the update to this cool skin.

I like it very much, although I altered it a little for myself (hope you don't mind) to display the songtitle in the same font as the timer in stick mode. The default font is almost unreadable.

PJay
PJay Tycy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2002, 02:14   #283
Nevex

hey bart, could ya submit it to winamp as MMD3 2? Also since you dont have xp. Maybe you could snatch trillian pro and make a skin for it.
Nevex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2002, 02:27   #284
kiilu
Major Dude

seriously bart i think you should make a corner mod for mmd3... say if you were to do it ... how would it look like??
kiilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2002, 03:19   #285
drastik

Send a message via AIM to drastik
bartibartman, i dont like you, for the simple reason that your skin make mine look amateurish, which it actually is, but even more so.

anyway, great skin. its my favorite, even tho i think that the normal mode is slightly a bit big for my taste. anyway, again, great skin. keep the good work up!
drastik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2002, 07:02   #286
Paparazzi

So #491 does not allow me to use this skin inspite of all the pains I've taken and am disappointed I had to go back to #490. Anyway, here is an idea. How feasible it is, I do not know.... just a suggestion.

REMOVE the 70 odd gamma sets
Yeah, noticed that most of the collours just plain repeats -> silver1, silver 1, silver1 and then the silver 2 series....

Would it be possible to just have themes for the "Frontcover" and another set of themes for the "Display", another set for the "Led" and so on... This way, the Silver or whatever does not have to repeat and yet the user will have absolute control over what his players colours are.

Basically, this is a variation of the colour themes options we had in the beta days, only its coded into the skin.

Cheerios
Paparazzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2002, 07:40   #287
TheBlackSpork

I just think more descriptive naming conventions would solve the themes problem. If Sven were to do that though, it would probably take quite a while to redescribe 70 themes. I wouldn't say the color theme names are a critical problem that needs to be updated immediately, but it would be cool if a few months from now all the theme names got organized. Maybe not in the next version release, but sometime down the road. So, it's not a serious problem, but it's honestly the only thing I can see that is lacking with the skin now that all our other wishes were taken care of quite nicely. I was honestly blown away by all the differences between v2 and the prior version since we all started making suggestions.
TheBlackSpork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2002, 10:32   #288
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

I think what he meant was to make it possible to COMBINE several sub-colorthemes together, beeing able to create any color combination he/she wants..

To explain how that could even be possible, here's what I believe he meant..

Create a custom theme selector.
put the silver1 background as one subtheme
put the red display as one subtheme
put the silver2 background as one subtheme
put the green knobs as one subtheme
etc etc etc

and then the user can select what subtheme he/she wants for the display, the background, the knobs, the buttons, the text, etc etc etc..

the list of themes would be much much shorter but the possibilities and different combinations would be ALOT more..

if anyone didn't understand what I tried to explain, here's a simpler example:

you have a skin with 6 colorthemes.
the different themes are:
1.red lcd and blue background
2.green lcd and red background
3.blue lcd and green background
4.red lcd and green background
5.green lcd and blue background
6.blue lcd and red background

now, if I instead made subthemes like this:
lcd:
1.red
2.green
3.blue
background
1.red
2.green
3.blue
and the user could combine any lcd subtheme with any background subtheme, there would be alot more possibilities and the list of subthemes would be alot shorter than the list of themes if every single combination would be listed..

it's a good idea but I don't know how easy it would be to implement...

-Plague
Plague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2002, 10:59   #289
PJay Tycy

I don't get why it would be better to change the theme-names...

It's very easy to know how a theme will look like in the current naming-sheme, and they are well organized.

The sub-theming thing would be better, but I guess we'll have to wait untill the gamma-component (from the betas) comes back.

PJay
PJay Tycy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2002, 11:13   #290
Hawk

I have a problem when starting Winamp3 with MMD 3 just after I have booted.

The first time I start up Winamp 3 with the MMD 3 skin it is only partial visable and partly functional. I have included a SS. Hint: the part that is not visable is of course also the part that is not functional
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mmd 3 partial skin.jpg (13.9 KB, 357 views)
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2002, 11:28   #291
Paparazzi

Quote:
Originally posted by ThePlague
I think what he meant was to make it possible to COMBINE several sub-colorthemes together, beeing able to create any color combination he/she wants..

To explain how that could even be possible, here's what I believe he meant..

Create a custom theme selector.
put the silver1 background as one subtheme
put the red display as one subtheme
put the silver2 background as one subtheme
put the green knobs as one subtheme
etc etc etc

and then the user can select what subtheme he/she wants for the display, the background, the knobs, the buttons, the text, etc etc etc..

the list of themes would be much much shorter but the possibilities and different combinations would be ALOT more..

if anyone didn't understand what I tried to explain, here's a simpler example:

you have a skin with 6 colorthemes.
the different themes are:
1.red lcd and blue background
2.green lcd and red background
3.blue lcd and green background
4.red lcd and green background
5.green lcd and blue background
6.blue lcd and red background

now, if I instead made subthemes like this:
lcd:
1.red
2.green
3.blue
background
1.red
2.green
3.blue
and the user could combine any lcd subtheme with any background subtheme, there would be alot more possibilities and the list of subthemes would be alot shorter than the list of themes if every single combination would be listed..

it's a good idea but I don't know how easy it would be to implement...

-Plague
To Put it Very short, "U understand WELL"

Cheerios
Paparazzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2002, 05:10   #292
TheBlackSpork

OK, I get what you're saying now. That's actually a great idea.
Old 25th November 2002, 04:48   #293
damage07

Send a message via ICQ to damage07
bartibartman,
I've been using your skin for a while now and have just updated to v2 (yeah I know I'm behind the times).
It's an awesome skin, but I personally don't think the extras for v2 are that great at the moment. I'll actually probably change back to v1 because of some of the following:

1. Colour Theme pop-down from Winshade Mode:
Great idea. Would be better if the menu could be resized downward to show more schemes at once, without having to open it up in a seperate window.

2. 70 Colour Themes:
Nice, but I like the suggestion a few others have posted about being able to mix and match to get your own designs. The ability to save presets then would be nice. But 70 schemes is a few too many.

Schemes could be named better also.
eg. 'Silver3 XP1' has very little silver on it - so could just be called 'XP1' or something. eg. 'Silver3 Sandy' looks more like a chocolate colour to me.

3. Playlist Winshade Mode:
... would be a great idea if it could be docked to the main Winshade.

4. Loading Time:
MMD3v2 takes a LONG time to load on my system at work (haven't tried it at home yet). I'm running Win2000 on a Celeron 1.8Ghz with 256Mb DDR RAM. Opening windows, changing between normal and winshade mode, changing colours etc all take a huge amount of time to apply. Just changing colours takes over a minutes to do. And I don't think it's the system.

5. Text in winshade Mode:
Counter is a good size. Play ticker is WAY too small. Also the 'windows' they are in obscure the reading. The lightened parts above and below text that give it the 3D rounded look is too much. The look is good but I can't the text as easily. Again ... ticker text is WAY WAY WAY too small.

6. Vertical Winshade:
Nice idea ... personally though ... UGLY! I mean comon. Look at the rest of the skin and it's AWESOME. I thought you could have done a better job with that. Not that it bothers me because I'll always use horizontal anyway.

Hmmm... I don't like to complain about free things, esp when they are as good as WinAmp3 & the MMD3 skin. But I'll be switching back to your 1st version until the next release. Keep up the good work anyway.

SDMF #581
damage07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2002, 05:02   #294
thepyr0x
Major Dude

actually the playlist winshade can be docked quite well overtop of the right half of the horizonal winshade player. While I don't like this view much, it's still there

thepyr0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2002, 06:18   #295
damage07

That is true, but then it blocks out what is under it. Not really a great idea in my mind. The way I personally would like it would be not so much a seperate Winshade bar, but for the main Winshade mode to have a drop-down box. The same way the new Colour Theme does, or any of the Thinger/EQ/CFG buttons do. I would say a drop down window the width from the << (previous) button all the way to the right side of the Winshade. Resizable hieght. With a button on it to open in a seperate window like that on the Colour Theme drop-down. Yes, something like that would be good I think.

And an edit to what I wrote above in point 5. Having now returned to version 1 of this skin, I really do like the display of the counter and ticker. Size is good, colours and contrast around the edges etc are great. Perhaps a bit too much shadow on the sides of the ticker but that's it.

A BIG thing for me though was the loading tiem I mentioned in pt 4. Coming back to version 1 and resetting my colour preference was a breeze compared to version 2. I don't know why it takes so much longer in v2, but it's very annoying.

SDMF #581
Old 25th November 2002, 16:02   #296
VooDoo`
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to VooDoo` Send a message via AIM to VooDoo`
Quote:
Just changing colours takes over a minutes to do. And I don't think it's the system
oh, i think it's the system, over a minute ...errr there is something wrong

o_0
VooDoo` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2002, 23:05   #297
damage07

Did you not read my system specs? If this skin can't change colour on a 1.8Ghz CPU with 256DDR RAM ... there's something wrong with IT!

Version 1 works fine ... changes within a second!

SDMF #581
Old 26th November 2002, 00:39   #298
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

well, v2 works fine for the rest of us, something is OBVIOUSLY wrong with your system, no matter the specs..

There can be hundreds of things which can cause that behaviour... but it's not the skin's fault..

-Plague
Old 26th November 2002, 00:56   #299
Gonzotek
Gunslinger

Confirmed, mmd3 v2 does not take any unusual amount of time to load or perform other tasks on my system: PIIIm 1.3Ghz, 512mb ram, both builds 488 and 491. I run 491 clean (no third party components/scripts except my own), and 488 with several third party components. MMD3 v2 appeared to function equally as well in both builds.

-=Gonzotek=-

I was away for a while.
But I'm feeling much better now.
Gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2002, 01:21   #300
damage07

Quote:
Originally posted by ThePlague
There can be hundreds of things which can cause that behaviour... but it's not the skin's fault..
Some ideas then?

Also, is there a way to manually change the font size of the ticker in WinShade mode? I run a res of 1280 x 1024 on a 17" monitor and font is barely readable.

Thanks.

SDMF #581
Old 27th November 2002, 06:41   #301
DiEMOS

300th reply
DiEMOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2002, 08:42   #302
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by damage07

Some ideas then?

Also, is there a way to manually change the font size of the ticker in WinShade mode? I run a res of 1280 x 1024 on a 17" monitor and font is barely readable.

Thanks.
I really don't have any ideas, since I've never seen or used your system...
Have you checked how much space you have on c:? For virtual memory I mean..

Have you defragmented your harddrive at all the last half-year?

Tried running Scandisk? to see whether there might be a cluster error or something..

Tried deleting studio.xnf in your winamp3 dir?

Tried making a fresh install of winamp3?

Are you using any 3rd party components and in that case, which ones?

etc...

-Plague
Old 27th November 2002, 23:19   #303
xzonk

Quote:
Originally posted by damage07

Thanks.
the skin as is doesn't offer that option, but you can change it yourself. there are several bitmap fonts that come with the skin, so you can edit the playershade xml files to use a bigger one. you can even use the lcd .ttf fonts in version one, or use your own fonts. just add the files to the .wal and edit the relevant .xml files.
xzonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2002, 00:37   #304
damage07

Ok, so it took me a while to check for replies. And thanks for them.
Plague:
The system I'm running on at work now is a brand new install on Win2000 and therefore also of WA3. I have 1024Mb Virtual RAM (HDD partitioned specifically to give me that). I am running some 3rd party components, but nothing huge. LyricsAMP and Explorer Playlist. I haven't tried removing that file you mentioned yet, might try it - but doesn't that remove my settings also?

Anyway, I'm back to using v2. For some reason it seemed to been having a bad day when I made those other posts and it's not nearly as bad now. Still freezes longer than v1, but only for about 5 seconds now, not a minute. It's bearable, so I'm using it. Actually I don't really know why I'm using it since I don't need any more than what's in v1. I guess I'm just one of those people who likes to have the newest version of everything.

xzonk:
Hmmm... anyone want to give me a crash course in how to edit a skin? How do I open the .wal file? What xml do I need to change and what to? and how do I recompile the skin?
Thanks.

SDMF #581
Old 3rd December 2002, 01:22   #305
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

first, removing the file I mentioned, studio.xnf, will remove your settings aswell, yes..
but it may sometimes fix problems, as all sorts of incorrect info might be stored in there..
I dont recommend removing it now, since you dont have the problem anymore..

second, a .wal is nothing more than a renamed .zip
you dont have to recompile anything.
just rename to .zip, extract and edit the xml files..
you dont NEED to zip it again, you can leave it extracted and it'll still work fine..
and if you zip it again, you dont NEED to rename the .zip to .wal again, it will work fine anyway, but you won't be able to doubleclick on the file to change skin, you'll have to change it from within winamp3's skin menu or in the preferences..
but if you want it back to normal, simply rename it to .wal again and it's done..

for the xml you'll need to change, I believe it's player-shade.xml which contains the stuff you want to change and maybe player-elements.xml too..

I really cant tell you exactly what to change because then I could just aswell do it my self and upload it for you, which I wont, cos I dont have time for that right now..

-Plague
Old 3rd December 2002, 02:01   #306
damage07

That's ok Plague. I'm not a complete dumby, what you said makes perfect sense. I've tinkered with HTML before - and I know XML is very different, but it's very similar at the same time. So I should be able to work it out from here. Thanks heaps for the info!

*slaps self up the side of the head at not realising it was just a glorified zip file*

SDMF #581
Old 3rd December 2002, 02:58   #307
damage07

Got it. I imported the TTF used in version 1. Wasn't too hard really. Although looking through all that code has confirmed that I will not be attempting my own skin. Ah well, this one is good enough.

Thanks for the help Plague.

SDMF #581
Old 3rd December 2002, 08:28   #308
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

np..

well, all that code is mostly just xml, once you've made one skin, you'll know almost all the xml you need to know to make any wa3 skin..

then there's the fun fun maki to play with, where you can do the REALLY cool stuff, and that's a whole other issue..

personally, I hate the xml (atleast the xml which is the same on every skin but still has to be changed for each and every skin, boooring), but I love maki, fun fun fun!!

also, I don't do any gfx myself, I just code the skins and let other people make the gfx..

so if you're good at gfx but don't want to code, that's no problem, there's always some coder willing to code it for you.

and if you want to code instead, it's pretty easy to learn the basics to get going..
it might look scary when you look at a finished skin, but you'll get the hang of it pretty fast...

-Plague
Old 3rd December 2002, 13:36   #309
bartibartman

Talking

BIG THANK YOU TO "ThePlague" and all other members...

I wanted to say that already for a long time.
It's unbelievable. You are the really forum hero. You help all the people here solving their problems. I do not have so much time to look in the forum each day - also not in my MMD3 thread.

But if there are new posts by people having problems with MMD3 or just questions about the code - there is already an answer from you or other forum members.

I know other members think exactly the same...

thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you.....

By the way:
There is an updated version of MMD3 (V2.2)
- Playlist drawer in horizontal winshade mode (done with the normal component - not so spectacularly)
- new compact design for the video window
- Added "volume/bass/treble LED on/off" to CFG-Menu
- little bit larger bitmap font for the smallest size

Thats all...

MMD3 v2.2 on winamp.com
bartibartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2002, 13:56   #310
VooDoo`
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to VooDoo` Send a message via AIM to VooDoo`
yeahh you did it!

o_0
VooDoo` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2002, 14:07   #311
ertmann|CPH
Forum Viking
(Forum King)

just a little suggestion

maybe you should switch the component in the display in the left/right mode aswell.... personally i think i looks a little stupid that the shuffle, crossfade and repeat lights are on the opposite side of the buttons....did that make any sense

maybe its just me...

- Stefan
ertmann|CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2002, 14:20   #312
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by bartibartman
BIG THANK YOU TO "ThePlague" and all other members...

I wanted to say that already for a long time.
It's unbelievable. You are the really forum hero. You help all the people here solving their problems. I do not have so much time to look in the forum each day - also not in my MMD3 thread.

But if there are new posts by people having problems with MMD3 or just questions about the code - there is already an answer from you or other forum members.

I know other members think exactly the same...

thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you.....
/me feels proud
thanks man, very much apreciated.

I like the new playlist slider, I think it looks really good.
Neat way to implement it too..

the LED's on the knobs are awesome!
they combined with the light around the cbuttons brings life to the skin, makes it look like it has all those fance effects like Sonique does, which is really good...

The new video window looks alot better, makes more sense.

Love it!

-Plague
Old 3rd December 2002, 16:50   #313
sanosuke
Major Dude

IT WORKEDS WITH #491!!! (sorry for my excitement)

this is a really great skin. freakin good job
rating :

btw i really like the glowing thing when u point to the play, stop, pause buttons.
sanosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2002, 02:16   #314
damage07

yay, another one to edit

The new version is pretty sweet. There are still a few changes I would make to it personally.
Can I start picking on it yet???

One thing that has bugged me right from version 1 is the 'roundness' of the displays in winsahde mode. In some colour themes, the light strips above and below text that give it the rounded look seem a bit too light. It becomes hard to distinguish the text. For me anyway.

Speaking of which, I still prefer the font from version 1 ... at least I know how to change that myself now

The mini PL Editor is AWESOME!!!
But: I would get rid of the sidecar. If someone wants to change between playlists, they can open up the main Playlist Editor.

Well I think that's it for now.

Thanks for a great skin.

SDMF #581

Last edited by damage07; 4th December 2002 at 02:36.
Old 4th December 2002, 22:03   #315
TheBlackSpork

Here's some more ideas I came up with after checking out v2.2:

If you ever had the time to do so, a seperate dockable window for the EQ would be great, much like the seperate window for color themes. I like the old WA2 style where I'd have a "stack setup" with my player on top, EQ in the middle, and playlist editor on the bottom. That EQ is too pretty to be hidden away in a drawer.

I'm also in agreement with those who would like "pick and choose" support for the colors in the color themes. It's not critical, but would be nice, as well as maybe cut down the skin's file size. Then maybe just offer seperate premade color theme packs, similar to all the AVS packs. Someone who uses Object Desktop's WindowBlinds could go nuts if they had the option to match the MMD3 skin with the color of their WindowBlinds theme.

And maybe the option to tweak the two Normal Vis options, like with WA2, where you could choose to adjust the rate and style of those vertical VU bars.

And one for the future:

Snapping and resize capability for the DFX skin (when DFX updates their plugin to allow for snap and resize support). The MMD3 DFX skin actually inspired me to try DFX, and it is pretty impressive after you ingore the trial version nags and really try the program out. I'd pay $20 for it easily if they took care of snapping and resizing support. Too bad they charge you for upgrades though. You get them 50% off, but free upgrades for registered users would be smarter.

I kinda feel like an asshole for asking for more after all that you've done for use. Hell, every single complaint I had with the first version was addresses, so feel free to tell me I ask for too much.

Another observation: is the "skin preview pic" in the Preferences missing? It didn't show up for me in the preview pic window and I know the prior MMD3 version did. Maybe my computer is just on the fritz.
Old 4th December 2002, 22:29   #316
musicmusic

Hi, love the window shade mode (horiz), but its ticker still has a dash (-) instead of a dot (.). The error is in Tickerfont6.png (second character after 9 should be a dot..)
musicmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2002, 03:49   #317
Nevex

The new playlsit is phucking fantastic on the horizontal mode. I love it. I wish someone would make the style xp skin for mmd3 and the trillian skin.
Old 5th December 2002, 03:52   #318
Nevex

Problem only the spectrum analyzer works. None of the other visuals on anymode work.
Old 5th December 2002, 14:15   #319
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

works for me...
I have no problems at all with the skin...

-Plague
Old 5th December 2002, 14:33   #320
Peter_Berre

I really like this skin, and the playlist drawer in the new version is awsome.
But (yeah theres a but ) the snap points are a little anoying. The snappoints aren't at the edges of the player, but match the max positions of the drawers (probably because they are set to the corners of the background image).
Isn't it possible to change the snap points via maki?
Just to sum it up.
The snap point on the normal player window is a little off to right.
The horistontal winshade snaps too far down (where the playlist drawer ends).
Peter_Berre is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Modern Skins