Old 25th September 2002, 20:47   #81
RandomCarpet

i'm feeling with your skin

it seems that unknown creatures from the planet mercury had a trip to the world of winamp millions years ago
nowadays the earth's best skinner reveals the mystery
have a look at the aliens' aircraft

really nice man
RandomCarpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2002, 20:54   #82
-=RoNtZ=-
Major Dude

Location: Universe > Milkyway > Sol > Earth > Europe > Germany > Bavaria > Near Nuremberg
Send a message via ICQ to -=RoNtZ=- Send a message via AIM to -=RoNtZ=- Send a message via Yahoo to -=RoNtZ=-
Quote:
Originally posted by RandomeiCarpit
i'm feeling with your skin

it seems that unknown creatures from the planet mercury had a trip to the world of winamp millions years ago
nowadays the earth's best skinner reveals the mystery
have a look at the aliens' aircraft

really nice man
*LOL* .. sounds like u'd have a lot of fantasy yourself! want a skin from u asap! *g*

rpeterclark, already got an idea for the pl-button?

Frozen skins: Gravestone Betaskins: Mushroom ::-:: The Claw
In development: TechnodropFinished: Draculas Helmet (<-- still waiting for some color themes!) ::-:: Hal's eye
-=RoNtZ=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2002, 21:26   #83
RandomCarpet

Quote:
Originally posted by -=RoNtZ=-

*LOL* .. sounds like u'd have a lot of fantasy yourself! want a skin from u asap! *g*

-=RoNtZ=- when you fall asleep this night i'll make you start dreaming
you are going to have a vision, don't be scared of the bright light
your dream is still in progress but soon appears on the horizon
a ss is here in a few hours

Old 25th September 2002, 21:37   #84
-=RoNtZ=-
Major Dude

Location: Universe > Milkyway > Sol > Earth > Europe > Germany > Bavaria > Near Nuremberg
Send a message via ICQ to -=RoNtZ=- Send a message via AIM to -=RoNtZ=- Send a message via Yahoo to -=RoNtZ=-
*yipieee* *wanna wake up and see it* *lol*

In development: TechnodropFinished: Draculas Helmet (<-- still waiting for some color themes!) ::-:: Hal's eye
Old 25th September 2002, 21:41   #85
rpeterclark
Major Dude
(Reviewer)

Quote:
-=RoNtZ=- when you fall asleep this night i'll make you start dreaming you are going to have a vision, don't be scared of the bright light your dream is still in progress but soon appears on the horizon a ss is here in a few hours
That is some trippy smack! I'm getting very sleepy...

But yeah, I'll post a screenshot and an updated WAL sometime soon.
rpeterclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2002, 21:50   #86
-=RoNtZ=-
Major Dude

hm... updated wal??? y? *gg* i'm very satisfied with the version i have!

Old 25th September 2002, 21:57   #87
RandomCarpet

nice idea rpeterclark i can suggest sleeping and dreaming of the skin be a regular part of the skinning process, that's the key i think

have a nice sleep
Old 25th September 2002, 22:10   #88
D&B
Banned

Damn he is like lightning.

Like I said Im at work so I havent had a chance to play with this yet, but I do myself also appreciate having a quick button of the PL. Dont really care about the ML myself....
D&B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2002, 23:37   #89
shznyt

Thumbs up

You's a bad, bad man. Thanks for the great skin, I had switched back to winamp 2, now it's back to 3 for me. I bet the color presets are going to be amazing. Gotta love the quickness of it all too, nothing I hate more than waiting for a skin that never gets completed!
shznyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2002, 00:34   #90
premmidha

Send a message via ICQ to premmidha
HOLY FLYING GRAPEFRUITS, BATMAN!! I LOVE THIS SKIN!!! Very, very nice work on this skin. Your gfx and coding skills amaze me. Until thi skin is complete, I'll be using Neptune, but seeing how fast you work, I'm sure I'll only be using it for a couple more days. Again, awesome work on this one. I generally stay out of discussions(i just read the forums), but I had to compliment you on your latest stroke of genius.
premmidha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2002, 01:08   #91
nysaga

Great job Pete...just one suggestion. A volume slider would be a lot nicer than the buttons you have now. Maybe you can use the buttoms for playlist or something. The lcd area is very crowded now so i don't know if you can fit a volume slider in there.
nysaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2002, 02:07   #92
lakitu42

Send a message via AIM to lakitu42 Send a message via Yahoo to lakitu42
First I'd like like to say, ahem, AWESOME SKIN MAN! The tabs rock and the style of it is just plain great. And I agree. Who needs a stop button? May I suggest, though, autorepeating the volume buttons. It would be much more convenient to adjust the volume that way.
lakitu42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2002, 02:40   #93
iPlayTheSpoons
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to iPlayTheSpoons
i just downloaded it and the volume buttons do auto repeat

totally rocking skin by the way! no need at all for the pl button. i would just like to see a bit darker of a time display
iPlayTheSpoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2002, 02:43   #94
lakitu42

Send a message via AIM to lakitu42 Send a message via Yahoo to lakitu42
oops

guess I didn't wait long enough for them to start.
lakitu42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2002, 04:23   #95
nysaga

It really doesn't matter if the volume button auto repeats or not. The way it is now is still inconvenient and slow compared with a slider.
Old 26th September 2002, 04:44   #96
iPlayTheSpoons
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to iPlayTheSpoons
ive noticed just about every mouse these days has a tracking wheel which adjusts volume the easiest way, thats what i use
iPlayTheSpoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2002, 04:56   #97
D&B
Banned

I am definitely liking this. The true test will be winshade -- that is where my player spends most its time. In winshade, slammed against the top of my screen (thats one thing I dont like about Boom 1.05, the winshade doesnt rest against any edge of the screen).

Other people things are saying....I like the volume buttons the way they are. I like the tab behind the time. I like the tabs in general. I agree no need for stop, but would like a PL button (if possible, PL button in windowshade too).

Heres a negative (same thing happens with BOOM). I am in vis mode, with a long title name scrolling left and right. When this scrolling is happening, CPU usage jumps to 25% (on an athlon 2000XP with geforce 4 TI). I guess its something with winamp. I would say it would be cool to have an option to turn off the scrolling, but I guess if I was using something that would need all that power, such as a 3D game, I would have winamp minimized anyway.

There is one thing about this skin I dislike. The display area has this "shine" to it. I didnt think anything of it in the picture, but in actually using the skin, I find it very annoying. Maybe its just me. Would anyone else miss it if it *disappeared* ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dislike.jpg (13.5 KB, 299 views)
Old 26th September 2002, 05:20   #98
Drex

Send a message via AIM to Drex
I like the volume as buttons. You can't please everyone, of course, but perhaps having one or two button-oriented skins out of the 9 (future) solar system skins would be good. *shrugs* I don't mind either way, but it's just a thought.

The tab behind the top doesn't bother me either way, but it does make use of some room that might be used for other things, or if anything else just clutters the view. And the shine (or lack thereof) doesn't bother me; I find too much shine always brightens out the words that I'd rather just be able to see.
Drex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2002, 05:25   #99
nysaga

Quote:
Originally posted by badrad

There is one thing about this skin I dislike. The display area has this "shine" to it. I didnt think anything of it in the picture, but in actually using the skin, I find it very annoying. Maybe its just me. Would anyone else miss it if it *disappeared* ?
the shine you're talking about is the glass effect of the lcd. it'll be better once he put in some colors.
Old 26th September 2002, 05:43   #100
ohhjebus

so at this rate the solar system will be done in, what, a week?
amazing.
a full-LCD vis would be really cool, and i agree that a pl button would be a good thing.
ohhjebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2002, 09:19   #101
D&B
Banned

As far as winshade mode, Ill just throw this out there. I mentioned I like straight flat ones (like Neptune!), but right now I am playing with Koalla 2's, and it is pretty cool. It fits nicely in the the bottom right corner of your screen. It would be cool if one of the planets would do that. Here, let me grab a screenshot of it.....
Old 26th September 2002, 09:21   #102
D&B
Banned

these forums are too cool to just display it. What are you gonna do? Off to play UT2K3 and then pass out...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg koallawinshade.jpg (6.1 KB, 317 views)
Old 26th September 2002, 15:14   #103
rpeterclark
Major Dude
(Reviewer)

Whoa, I leave my computer for a bit, and a flood of messages appear in this thread! This level of interest is amazing, I couldn't be happier. Here's a problem though, I can't please everyone. I know you all have suggestions and ideas, but I have a vision for what this skin is going to end up like, so I will incorporate ideas that fit in with my plan, but others will just have to be dismissed.

So here are my plans.

I am going to make a "Preferences" windows that will let you adjust certain features, including the opacity of the glass cover over the LCD which should please people who are bothered by the glare. You will also be able to adjust the rate at which the volume buttons scroll. Personally, I use the wheel on my mouse to adjust volume, even on skins with a slider, but not everyone has a wheel, so maybe this will help. I am not going to add a volume slider to this skin, this may turn some people off, but I'm going to make more skins in the future and I will probably avoid volume buttons from now on since it is turning into such an issue. In the Preferences you will also be able to select the default tab. You will also be able to disable the song ticker scrolling, for those concerned about CPU usage.

I also have a few cutom visualizations that I will add to the cycle on the Vis tab, as well as a full-screen custom vis.

I am adding a playlist button on the screen, near the top, I've done some shuffling.

There is going to be 2 winshade modes. I have a sketch going for a mid-sized corner type shade mode. I'm also going to make a super slim shade mode appropriate for sitting at the top of your screen. I like to leave Winamp thin and at the top of the screen and in my opinion, no skin is complete without this mode.

As I'm sure you can all tell, this skin is turning out to be quite complex so you will have to allow me more time than usual. Plus, my real job has some deadlines coming up that are going to pull me away from this a bit. Don't get worried though, this skin WILL be done in a speedy rpeterclark timeframe!

I hope some of my executive decisions haven't turned to many people off about this skin. I definately acknowledge that this skin focuses more on style than usability, but that's my call for this one. If you just have to many pet peeves about volume systems and all, perhaps you will better enjoy one of my next skins, I assure you they will all be just as good!

Thanks for everyone's input, it is all appreciated! I will have more to show you soon!
Old 26th September 2002, 16:42   #104
Drex

Send a message via AIM to Drex
Wow, lofty goals. Take your time, I'm sure we'd rather have a quality product than something rushed out for us. Everything sounds great, and you seem to have taken everyone's best interesting to heart and somehow made them all work together. I'm impressed.
Drex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2002, 16:48   #105
Hawk

Thumbs up

rpeterclark

Thanks for letting us know. As far as I am concerned, you don't have to justify or explain anything. It is your skin and you are free to do what you want with it.

Take your time duder
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2002, 17:33   #106
rpeterclark
Major Dude
(Reviewer)

Yeah, I know in the end I'll make it the way I want to, but I also feel it is valuable to get other peoples feedback during the development process. I work that way with skins, just like I would with any of my other development (web or software programming) projects. And in the end, it does make it better because often I just plain miss what should be obvious to me.

I'm not going to be one of those skinners with a stick up my ass blowing off everyone because I have some wacky pride or ego issues. I like to think that I'm down with the everyday skin enthusiast and really appreciate thier feedback.

I think that when this is done, thanks to everyone's feedback and opinions, I will have a skin that satisfies my original vision and pleases as many other people as possible. That is what is great about these forums!
Old 26th September 2002, 20:36   #107
RandomCarpet

bug report

rpeterclark i played around with this glamour piece of art and it took its place as my favourite

so i come here with a bug found, hoping not to displease you
it's a problem with the tabs - all it happens when you click on more than one of the tabs before the one you've selected first stops moving
i mean you must wait for the desired tab to be completely shown and stop moving and then to select another one if you want.

i will suggest you a probable solution of the problem - insert a new transparent layer over all of the tabs and make this layer deny the clicks below it
thru maki make this layer appears only at "tabs-switching time"
i mean using .show() and .hide() for the layer

hope you'll find even better solution

here is what the bug looks like:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bug.jpg (3.9 KB, 281 views)
Old 26th September 2002, 20:43   #108
SNYder
Forum King

i want to lick you this skin is so good.
SNYder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2002, 01:55   #109
rpeterclark
Major Dude
(Reviewer)

Re: bug report

Quote:
so i come here with a bug found, hoping not to displease you
it's a problem with the tabs - all it happens when you click on more than one of the tabs before the one you've selected first stops moving
i mean you must wait for the desired tab to be completely shown and stop moving and then to select another one if you want.
It does please me that you found a bug! Better to have a few select people find them now than release the skin to everyone and find it later. In any case, it has been fixed. The next update I post will have the bug corrected.

Thanks!
Old 27th September 2002, 02:45   #110
pinku41

hey peter skin rocks but, one thing ...

Even though ur display area is oval i feel that for the vis the base set as a straight line so for lower freq. u don't see the beats much..am i correct... it's not a big deal but just wanted to know..
pinku41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2002, 02:52   #111
SNYder
Forum King

*bug alert* *bug alert*

I found that if you scroll the thinger then click to the left of the thinger arrows (see attachment) whatever thinger icon is bellow the skin where you are pressing will be pressed, subsequently loading that window. Try clicking around in the area I pointed out.
Attached Images
File Type: png bug.png (48.8 KB, 283 views)
SNYder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2002, 03:17   #112
D&B
Banned

All in all, I agree with your decisions peter. Besides, like someone already said, its your skin man.

Anyway, take your time! Dont rush the skin or let it impact your life.

We all appreciate your work.
Old 27th September 2002, 13:46   #113
rpeterclark
Major Dude
(Reviewer)

Quote:
Originally posted by SNYder
*bug alert* *bug alert*

I found that if you scroll the thinger then click to the left of the thinger arrows (see attachment) whatever thinger icon is bellow the skin where you are pressing will be pressed, subsequently loading that window. Try clicking around in the area I pointed out.
Good find! This bug has now been fixed.

Expect an updated WAL either later today, or tommorow.

Thanks!
Old 27th September 2002, 17:25   #114
cakemikz

Send a message via AIM to cakemikz Send a message via Yahoo to cakemikz
i didnt check the boards for a couple days and this pops up, and a working version none the less? how! unbelievably beautiful skin, nice work!
cakemikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2002, 19:19   #115
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

been away from the forums for a while, so this is the first time I actually try this skin out..
DUDE! this is one amazing skin!

I love the tabs!

keep up the incredible work, and make killer component skins!

-Plague
Plague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2002, 01:56   #116
rpeterclark
Major Dude
(Reviewer)

Exclamation Updated Beta!

I have an updated beta ready for you all to try out, here the link:

Mercury_09-27-2002.wal (232KB)

Not a whole lot has changed visually, but here the important changes:
  • There's now a Playlist button on the display, I think it looks nice too.
  • There's a "Configuration" window that lets you adjust the opacity of the glass, the volume button rate and song ticker scrolling. For those who were unhappy with the volume buttons and CPU usage, these settings might help. These settings are "remembered".
  • The dissappearing tabs bug has been fixed.
  • The Thinger has been fixed so that you can't click it through other layers.
  • There's a couple of color themes added, but they need work. I think the "metal" themes are good though. I'll be adding a lot more.
  • For those who care, the tab script has been tweaked and optimized.

So give it a try and let me know if you have any more problems. For now I'm going to get working on the winshade modes and components...
Old 28th September 2002, 02:10   #117
rpeterclark
Major Dude
(Reviewer)

BTW, if anyone wants to, create some color themes yourself and if they come out good, send them to me. I'll include them in the skin and give you credit in the theme name. If you check out the gamma-presets.xml file, you'll see it's all fairly self-explanatory. You would only have to send the <gammaset>...</gammaset> element.

I think this skin has a lot of potential for many, many themes and frankly coming up with a zillion color combinations does not sound like fun to me. So if you want to be sure there's a color scheme in there that you like, make it up and send it in!
Old 28th September 2002, 02:53   #118
rpeterclark
Major Dude
(Reviewer)

Quote:
Originally posted by pinku41
hey peter skin rocks but, one thing ...

Even though ur display area is oval i feel that for the vis the base set as a straight line so for lower freq. u don't see the beats much..am i correct... it's not a big deal but just wanted to know..
Yeah, I suppose a side-effect of putting the vis inside an oval shape is that you can't always see the bars for the low or high frequencies. I'm not really too concerned about it though. If it's of any interest, I have a few custom vis displays in the works that didn't make it into the latest beta, but maybe in the next one. They are not going to be accurate visual representations of the frequencies, but they'll look cool!
Old 28th September 2002, 05:24   #119
halo99

Send a message via ICQ to halo99 Send a message via AIM to halo99
Couple bugs on my end...

I've ran into just a couple problems while using your skin, peter. With this new build, when I press "pause", the timer will continue to count for about two seconds. Then when I hit "play" while the track is on pause, it returns back to the original time when I hit pause. I'm not sure if this was meant to be this way or not..

Also, if you take a look at the attachment below, you can see that the text of the song title being played isn't visible at all. I'm sure this is a mistake on my part somehow, seeing how others have posted screens of them using your skin, and the font shows perfectly.

Anyways, great skin you're working on here. I love the design and the simplicity of operating it. Good work!
Attached Images
File Type: gif mercury.gif (36.7 KB, 348 views)
halo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2002, 12:21   #120
rpeterclark
Major Dude
(Reviewer)

Re: Couple bugs on my end...

Quote:
Originally posted by halo99
I've ran into just a couple problems while using your skin, peter. With this new build, when I press "pause", the timer will continue to count for about two seconds. Then when I hit "play" while the track is on pause, it returns back to the original time when I hit pause. I'm not sure if this was meant to be this way or not..

Also, if you take a look at the attachment below, you can see that the text of the song title being played isn't visible at all. I'm sure this is a mistake on my part somehow, seeing how others have posted screens of them using your skin, and the font shows perfectly.
I don't know about other people, but that timer problem happens to me no matter what skin I'm using, so I'd assume it is a Winamp problem.

As for the font, I don't know. The skin now uses a TrueType font but people always seem to have problems with skins that use these, some people can't see them, or they look messed up. I don't know if it's a problem with the font file, Winamp, or particular systems. I think I've heard that it can help if you install the font onto your system by pulling the TTF file out of the WAL and putting it in your system's Font folder.

Maybe someone else can shed some light on this?
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Modern Skins