Old 23rd November 2002, 20:20   #121
StillWater
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by not in santiago
To be honest, I can't tell what the repeat is, but if I saw it in action, I would probably have a better idea.

I really, really like the moon.
Well, the moon is the repeat, so I'm assuming that you mean that you don't know how it signifies repeat on/repeat off. It's in action in the attachment - is it clear enough, or still not? (nothing much I can do about it if it's not, though )

I knew what you meant about Siberia, I was just saying where it was from as a curiosity - though I've got no idea what chinooky means

The skin doesn't give me a chilly feeling either - but it gives me a crisp feeling, so hopefully that's enough

The moon currently takes up all of the rows of pixels on the repeat button, but I might be able to squeeze a few extra rows into it where the pixels remain constant for all states, so I'll try that.

Still working on the cbuttons.
Attached Images
File Type: gif shufrep (low quality).gif (6.8 KB, 130 views)

Sow a thought, reap an action; sow an action, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny.

All my skins: @ winamp.com @ 1K1WS @ Deviantart.com

My latest Flash Project: BreathingEarth.net
StillWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2002, 20:46   #122
not in santiago

Quote:
Well, the moon is the repeat.
D'oh! I thought the repeat was the odd bit of white on the tree trunk (which kinda sorta looks like an "R" if you stare at it long enough and/or are on the proper hallucinogens) and the moon was strictly background. Okay. I get it now. Although (and it may just be my pride talking), you have to admit that odd bit of white on the tree trunk looks somewhat unnatural.

As for the shuffle birds, I get that too, though I think the one on the far right needs some touching up. Its head is as long as its tail, and it looks more like a + than a bird, especially in the shuffle off position. The animations look good.

Quote:
The moon currently takes up all of the rows of pixels on the repeat button, but I might be able to squeeze a few extra rows into it where the pixels remain constant for all states, so I'll try that.
Good luck. Bloody rectangular buttons. Ugh.

Picture going to bed on a cold, wintry, -35 Celsius night. When you wake up, you go outside into a superbrilliant sunny, breezy day with a temperature of about +10. That's a chinook.

"Chinooky" appears exclusively in my own private lexicon.
not in santiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2002, 21:58   #123
Jellby
Major Dude

First, I think the shuffle and repeat buttons/animations are superb! But... (there's only a but, eh?)

Maybe the shuffle is really a bird overkill, too many black birds in the right part of the main... I don't know what else could be there, a plane smoke-trail (it's actually condensed water)? something falling from the trunk?

The moon... oh the moon... Let's see, it's northern hemisphere, right? (you said it's Poland, if it's southern hemisphere, some thing will be reversed, but not all, I think). The shadow is cast to the left, so the sun is to the right, assuming is near mid-day (if it's winter, the sun is low at mid-day and the shadows are long) we're facing East. The moon is near the East horizon, so it's rising. If the moon is rising at mid-day, it should be a crescent moon (if I'm not mistaken, it rises later everyday, so it will rise when the sun sets in a few days, and that would be full moon; it's nearing the full moon, so it's crescent). The crescent moon has a D-shape, and not a C-shape (the moon lies). So, I believe the "correct" shape would be a D (and turned so that the curved edge is nearly on top). You need an animation, and moon-phasing is an obvious one, so you can't use a fixed shape, but I think you should use "other way" shading. Besides, the moon doesn't seem completelly full, I'd say it's a little bit shaded in the lower-left edge...
If it's the southern hemisphere, I'm not sure how it should be, you should know better than I Anyway, nobody will probably mind, so I'll say it's just perfect, but if you decide to make the moon change the other way, don't just flip it
I would give it a little more contrast, though.

Many who live deserve death, some who die deserve life - can you give it to them?
Then be not so quick to deal out death in judgement.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2002, 22:39   #124
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
Quote:
Originally posted by Jellby
The moon... oh the moon... Let's see, it's northern hemisphere, right? (you said it's Poland, if it's southern hemisphere, some thing will be reversed, but not all, I think). The shadow is cast to the left, so the sun is to the right, assuming is near mid-day (if it's winter, the sun is low at mid-day and the shadows are long) we're facing East. The moon is near the East horizon, so it's rising. If the moon is rising at mid-day, it should be a crescent moon (if I'm not mistaken, it rises later everyday, so it will rise when the sun sets in a few days, and that would be full moon; it's nearing the full moon, so it's crescent). The crescent moon has a D-shape, and not a C-shape (the moon lies). So, I believe the "correct" shape would be a D (and turned so that the curved edge is nearly on top). You need an animation, and moon-phasing is an obvious one, so you can't use a fixed shape, but I think you should use "other way" shading. Besides, the moon doesn't seem completelly full, I'd say it's a little bit shaded in the lower-left edge...
If it's the southern hemisphere, I'm not sure how it should be, you should know better than I Anyway, nobody will probably mind, so I'll say it's just perfect, but if you decide to make the moon change the other way, don't just flip it
I would give it a little more contrast, though.
exzactly! i was so jsut gonna say that ...really! don't look at me like that! I like it! The animations (all) rock! go *db*
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2002, 01:29   #125
skinme!
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by not in santiago
As for the shuffle birds, I get that too, though I think the one on the far right needs some touching up.
I'll get the RSPCA onto you

Looking good. I think I follow Jellby's logic.. but to the casual observer - but thoroughness is an asset to be proud of.

/me is extremely annoyed. Was playing GTA3 and was doing taxi missions... was up to 25 ppl bonus (like mega bucks and kudos) and then ran into the friggin sea on the way to my hideout to save

He had decided to live forever, or die in the attempt
In America - a must see film
skinme! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2002, 03:54   #126
J. Burnaway
Forum King

Send a message via Yahoo to J. Burnaway
I see ¤db¤ and dimichan making skins. Any one else doing a skin? Atmo, rean, Simon, e-raser, etc. etc.?
J. Burnaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2002, 14:27   #127
StillWater
Forum King

update

OK, here's a WSZ.

-The posbar is just a placeholder

-still short of ideas for the cbuttons

-out of ideas for the PL at the moment. It needs to be more than just all white, I think. That drop shadow is definately going.

-The cameo appearance in the easter egg is for you, xeno

WSZ (129k)

Sow a thought, reap an action; sow an action, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny.

Old 24th November 2002, 14:31   #128
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Nice.

I like the shuff/rep controls.

Not sure about the new eq sliders though, i liked the footprints idea.
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2002, 15:13   #129
Reanimation

Quote:
Originally posted by J. Burnaway
I see ¤db¤ and dimichan making skins. Any one else doing a skin? Atmo, rean, Simon, e-raser, etc. etc.?

I'm thinking about it, just a little busy with college and other projects
Reanimation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2002, 18:24   #130
Mr_Tough_Guy
Major Dude

wow ¤db¤ that looks fantasic, the animation on the volume/balance is great, but you knew that, I love the shuffrep
just wondering about the eqsliders though, the footprints were a cool idea but they just didn't look right, for them to look right they need to curve with the surface of the ground or they would always look weird.

as for the PL, I agree get rid of the dropshadow, maybe put in some more animals, a rabbit or a fox or something appropriate
Mr_Tough_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2002, 19:27   #131
StillWater
Forum King

Thanks Mr Tough Guy

Since 'drawing' wasn't going too well, I tried out some 'collage'. I borrowed the idea from a Beksinski skin that I started ages ago but never completed.

It's unorthodox, but I think I like it.
Attached Images
File Type: png tree-cbuttons.png (60.7 KB, 126 views)

Old 24th November 2002, 19:32   #132
Reanimation

I think that looks alot better db, very nice skin you're making here.
Reanimation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2002, 20:05   #133
dam
Forum King

Send a message via Yahoo to dam
The tree buttons look kinda outta place. IMHO it would look much better if you had the tree sprouting from the snow. I know its a bit odd to have a tree in all that snow, but I think it'll look better than the current cbuttons.
dam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2002, 20:28   #134
Jellby
Major Dude

And it's too similar to the Selective Ambience skin... I like the snowballs better. Have you tried with stars? If you need a box or something, I think you should make it connected to the left border and without a pic as background.

Many who live deserve death, some who die deserve life - can you give it to them?
Old 24th November 2002, 23:18   #135
StillWater
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Jellby
And it's too similar to the Selective Ambience skin... I like the snowballs better. Have you tried with stars? If you need a box or something, I think you should make it connected to the left border and without a pic as background.
geez, there are skinners out there that every skin they make reminds you of their others. And I put one box into this, and all of a sudden "it looks too much like Selective Ambience"

I tried having it connected to the left - it was too large then. I might have something similar in the PL stacks, maybe then the 'postmodernity' of the cbuttons will seem less out of place

Old 24th November 2002, 23:30   #136
Jellby
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by ¤db¤
geez, there are skinners out there that every skin they make reminds you of their others. And I put one box into this, and all of a sudden "it looks too much like Selective Ambience"
But your skins are always so different from eachother... it looks like a component rip. Well, you knew what I mean, didn't you?

Old 26th November 2002, 20:27   #137
Xerxes
Capitalist Alumni

Send a message via ICQ to Xerxes
All your skins are belong to me: Just wait to you see my entry
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2002, 00:36   #138
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
Quote:
Originally posted by Xerxes
All your skins are belong to me: Just wait to you see my entry
dare to post a SS? Don't be afraid or rips cause if u post the SS first, then we know it was a rip.
Old 27th November 2002, 03:24   #139
Xerxes
Capitalist Alumni

Anyone who knows me would know that I never give previews;

design by democracy is the reason cars are so ugly these days, you know.
Old 27th November 2002, 15:59   #140
StillWater
Forum King

Quote:
design by democracy is the reason cars are so ugly these days
No, the reason they are so ugly these days is because design has recently been driven much more by function and pragmatism than by aesthetics. It's what happened to architecture around the 60s, when cuboid concrete skyscrapers sprouted up all over the world that were ultra space-efficient and ultra cost-effective, but absolutely god-awful to look at. The blind utilitarianism of that period of architecture created eyesores we are still struggling to get rid of here in Melbourne. The beauty of cities like Lisbon - so I've heard - was all but destroyed by it.
With cars, this seemed to reach its peak around the same time that, arguably, the peak of the Capitalistic mentality did - in the 80s. The problem is waning - as recently, designers have been paying more attention (not to mention more money) to the aesthetic form of their cars. The square, generic "box-on-wheels" shape of so many 80s cars is giving way to curves which are more fluid and shapes which are more characteristic. The same, incidentally is happening with all sorts of things recently: from HiFis and Walkmans to refrigerators. It's no longer purely "function over form".

Old 28th November 2002, 00:16   #141
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

prime example.

old WA 2.x = box skinz
new WA 3.x = purdy curvy any shape skins

Old 28th November 2002, 09:07   #142
Jellby
Major Dude

Quote:
The blind utilitarianism of that period of architecture created eyesores we are still struggling to get rid of here in Melbourne. The beauty of cities like Lisbon - so I've heard - was all but destroyed by it.
No, the beauty of Lisbon was destroyed by fire and earthquake, but there's still some beauty there, believe me

Old 28th November 2002, 13:00   #143
Xerxes
Capitalist Alumni

Quote:
It's no longer purely "function over form".
I maintain that "brainstorming", "group input", and "focus grouping" that is the root of much modern bad aesthetic design, as it robs from the inner vision of the creator.

Most "designer" things today- from "HiFis and Walkmans to refrigerators" are only such because they sell product-capitalism still and always wins the day. Most of them are the same old product with the exception that they have rounded the corners and made the surfaces silver, as demands the international color council. To me it seems quite clear- it's all just a little bit of history repeating.

Speaking of designer, I'm tired of the word being synonimized with "positive" - as in designer clothing, designer housewears, etc etc. Most "designer" anything is god-awful terrible.
Old 28th November 2002, 14:56   #144
StillWater
Forum King

Quote:
I maintain that "brainstorming", "group input", and "focus grouping" that is the root of much modern bad aesthetic design, as it robs from the inner vision of the creator.
I agree with that to a large extent. However, I don't think we're talking about a 'group effort' here. We're talking about one person with one vision bouncing his ideas off others with the autocratic power to take the feedback into consideration or dismiss it as he pleases. The fact is that nobody, not even someone of unspeakable genius, has the intelligence, wisdom, or breadth of imagination to not benefit from understanding how his work is viewed and processed through eyes and brains other than his own. Understanding different perspectives only adds to the wisdom and acute understanding that is necessary for strong, and fruitful, vision in the first place.
Quote:
Originally posted by Xerxes Most "designer" things today- from "HiFis and Walkmans to refrigerators" are only such because they sell product-capitalism still and always wins the day. Most of them are the same old product with the exception that they have rounded the corners and made the surfaces silver, as demands the international color council.
You exaggerate, but you're right. However, as half-arsed as their designs may be, you've got to concede that many refrigerators now look better than the white bricks of the eighties. All I'm saying is that, due to the legacy that the utilitarian mentality I mentioned left behind, you can't expect things to look any good so soon afterwards, since the $ is still of utmost concern. Though it's hopefully a step in the right direction, as at least things are now being built with some sort of aesthtetic sense, instead of having the same generic appearance for decades on end. You can be sure that if refrigerators and HiFis were commonplace 200 years ago, they would have looked a hell of a lot better than they do today. And hopefully in 200, or 100, or 20 years, they will also.

Jellby, as I said, I don't know, because I've never been to France. I was just going on what my Politics tutor told me when I was at Uni. She said it once rivalled any European city in regard to the beauty of its old town, but much of it is now overshadowed by skyscrapers - as opposed to the old towns of cities like Prague and Cracow which went unscathed during this crazy period of skyscraper-building, largely due to an inability of the Communist governments to finance such buildings.
just kidding Jellby - I have been to France :-D
(though not to Portugal)

Old 28th November 2002, 19:57   #145
Jellby
Major Dude

Quote:
as I said, I don't know, because I've never been to France.
I was going to write some sort of funny/surprised reply, but when I reached the end I saw that blank space and hit CTRL+G

Anyway, I know what you mean, and you're partly right, the situation here is even worse, I'm afraid, but we at least have middle-age castles and churches and Roman ruins... Lisbon is still a lovely city with not so many tourists as Prague. And the Eiffel Tower is great!

Old 28th November 2002, 21:26   #146
skinme!
Forum King

Quote:
No, the reason they are so ugly these days is because design has recently been driven much more by function and pragmatism than by aesthetics. It's what happened to architecture around the 60s, when cuboid concrete skyscrapers sprouted up all over the world that were ultra space-efficient and ultra cost-effective, but absolutely god-awful to look at. The blind utilitarianism of that period of architecture created eyesores we are still struggling to get rid of here in Melbourne. The beauty of cities like Lisbon - so I've heard - was all but destroyed by it.
With cars, this seemed to reach its peak around the same time that, arguably, the peak of the Capitalistic mentality did - in the 80s. The problem is waning - as recently, designers have been paying more attention (not to mention more money) to the aesthetic form of their cars. The square, generic "box-on-wheels" shape of so many 80s cars is giving way to curves which are more fluid and shapes which are more characteristic. The same, incidentally is happening with all sorts of things recently: from HiFis and Walkmans to refrigerators. It's no longer purely "function over form".
Or perhaps because it was no longer acceptable to die if something goes wrong?

Old 2nd December 2002, 04:15   #147
e-raser
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to e-raser Send a message via AIM to e-raser
k, i'm finaly got time to do this winterskin....um is anyone other than db going for gold on this one, well i guess there aint a better person to compeat with,
fuck thats a crazy volbar
e-raser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2002, 08:33   #148
Xerxes
Capitalist Alumni

Quote:
You can be sure that if refrigerators and HiFis were commonplace 200 years ago, they would have looked a hell of a lot better than they do today.
That's for sure- I still intend one day to make a cherrywood case for my computer with baroque woodburned scrollwork and olde world brass buttons and fixtures...
Old 2nd December 2002, 15:45   #149
J. Burnaway
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by e-raser
k, i'm finaly got time to do this winterskin....um is anyone other than db going for gold on this one, well i guess there aint a better person to compeat with,
fuck thats a crazy volbar
Based on the response to the PM's I sent out, there are at least a few others who intend to enter.
Old 2nd December 2002, 19:18   #150
skinme!
Forum King

DB, you like them SMEG fridges?

Old 2nd December 2002, 20:49   #151
FooMonkey
Listens to Chicago!
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to FooMonkey Send a message via AIM to FooMonkey Send a message via Yahoo to FooMonkey
Quote:
Originally posted by J. Burnaway

Based on the response to the PM's I sent out, there are at least a few others who intend to enter.
I got yer PM...I'm just too lazy to respond
I'm thinking of mine...I think I know what I'm gonna do
but I'm not gonna reveal it here for a while...
not that I'm afraid of ripping or anything, I just don't wanna

[website](foomonkey)|(Winamp|DevArt)[skins]
I'm so hip I have trouble seeing over my pelvis.
Jellby's Skiners' Atlas
FooMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2002, 22:31   #152
dstro

i think i might try out a skin

this will be my first but i htink it should go pretty well

any resources i should know about?

thanks

and count me in
dstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2002, 23:09   #153
J. Burnaway
Forum King

dstro - check out this - courtesy of Jellby, who can be found a few posts above.

Welcome!
Old 3rd December 2002, 02:16   #154
e-raser
Major Dude

well im at it again, skinning that is,
at here is the roughdraft for the main,
airbrush heaven!
also going to recycle my older skin furnace into this one, as of now i just cut and pasted some of it for mental planning
Attached Images
File Type: jpg winter1.jpg (14.2 KB, 124 views)
Old 3rd December 2002, 03:59   #155
e-raser
Major Dude

here is something with abit more substance,
THE CHILL.....
Old 3rd December 2002, 06:25   #156
StillWater
Forum King

That's going to look great

But I think that you should get rid of the ice and replace it with something more brown than blue. Perhaps colour isn't a good idea at all - maybe you should make the whole thing kind of greyscale. And I think the cbuttons would look better with a sunflower theme than with a sheet of ice as you have it now. If you are to keep the slabs of ice, probably you should colour each one differently. I'm thinking magenta, lime green, flourescent yellow, and hot pink. Also, I think the \//\X buttons would look smashing as big, opaque squares (beige, mustard and dark green). For me, the logical continuation of the MAIN would be to give the whole EQ a purple & yellow polka dot flavour. It's looking good, but I hope you make these changes. May the best skin win

But seriously, it looks great. The sparse, yet very controlled, technique of the airbrusing is impressive, as is the look of the skin in general. I can see that this traslucent layer idea is still in your head from a couple of months ago. You might run into trouble with the vis. I'll comment more when I see what you do with the labels/etc.

Old 3rd December 2002, 07:09   #157
dimichan
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to dimichan
ROFLMAO... why not just suggest rotating beach umbrellas, tropical fish, and... and... girls in bikinis while you're at it? Yeah, now that would say winter to me...

lol - the icy idea is looking "cool" at the risk of a very bad pun, intended... /me runs from rotten tomatoes
dimichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2002, 17:32   #158
e-raser
Major Dude

i was getting very afraid while i was reading your oppinion db...then i found the hidden text, thank god...i wasnt going mad
i'll have more in a day or two to show. that there was a 3 hr spert of creativity, hopfully more such sperts to come.

ps. you right on with noticing the design of my other proposed skin, i thought that its lay-out cuppled with this theem would be the perfect mix.

pps. oh ya...db, your skin ait too shabby either, its makes up for the lack of cool airbrush with mindblowing button integration,
i concider you now the best button maker on this god dame rock we call earth, and i hope thats worth something somewhere.
Old 3rd December 2002, 20:08   #159
e-raser
Major Dude

i cant stop....
heres more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg winter2.jpg (69.7 KB, 120 views)
Old 3rd December 2002, 22:23   #160
e-raser
Major Dude

ummm, ya, well even thought i'll be posting the third time in a row i cant help myself....
here is the latest on The Chill
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Classic Skins