Old 5th June 2003, 23:51   #1
StillWater
Forum King

The 1001winampskins.com Skin Remix Contest!

Ok guys and gals, the www.1001winampskins.com WA2 Skin Remix Contest has finally arrived!

Details about the contest are here, so please read them carefully before starting your remix.

After the deadline is over (20th July), the top 5 entries will be chosen by a panel of judges and will receive some seriously cool prizes, worth some $600 in total!

1st Prize: The ground-breaking Creative® NOMAD® Jukebox Zen USB2.0 portable MP3 player, with 60GB(!) capacity and worth $399.99!

2nd Prize:The powerful infra-red Digital Media Remote from Keyspan®, worth $49. A funky remote control that you can use to control all sorts of things on your computer, including Winamp!

3rd Prize: The extensive Object Desktop software package from Stardock®, worth $49.95. A desktop enhancement suite that comes with WindowBlinds, DesktopX, IconPackager, WinStyles, ObjectBar, and much more!

Additional prizes: Each of the top 5 contestants will recieve 2 really cool, professional-quality skin suite packages of their choice from the excellent skinners at pixtudio.com, worth between $8-$10 each!

If you'd like to discuss anything about the contest, you may use the messageboard at 1001. Likewise, you can use this thread for all your Remix contest needs (discussion, remix-in-progress screenshots, etc.)

If you have any questions, you can contact me here via pm, or email me at db AT 1001winampskins DOT com

So go forth, dear skin-lovers, and remix - and have fun ....

Sow a thought, reap an action; sow an action, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny.

All my skins: @ winamp.com @ 1K1WS @ Deviantart.com

My latest Flash Project: BreathingEarth.net
StillWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2003, 00:34   #2
skinme!
Forum King

/me wants a ground-breaking Creative® NOMAD® Jukebox Zen USB2.0 portable MP3 player, with 60GB(!) capacity and worth $399.99!

Does it have a pneumatic drill attachment then?

(oh dear, perhaps humour is finally beyond me)

Oh, oh! Post #3,000. OK, I'm sure once you get past a certain number, you're supposed to stop caring. Perhaps 5 posts.

db, who is financing this $600 prize set?

He had decided to live forever, or die in the attempt
In America - a must see film
skinme! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2003, 00:35   #3
GoldenSphynx
Forum King

Can I see any examples of past remixed skins? I have a skin in mind I would like to remix, but I need to see what is actually expected.
GoldenSphynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2003, 01:33   #4
StillWater
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by skinme!
/me wants a ground-breaking Creative® NOMAD® Jukebox Zen USB2.0 portable MP3 player, with 60GB(!) capacity and worth $399.99!

Does it have a pneumatic drill attachment then?

(oh dear, perhaps humour is finally beyond me)

db, who is financing this $600 prize set?
Humour is never beyond you skinme!, that's why we love you

The Nomad. You want one?! I want one!! And I disqualified myself for the contest by organising it (yes, I know, fat chance I could've won ) No, it doesn't have a pneumatic drill attachment, although it does write your income tax return for you while it makes you a coffee in the morning (actual unit may not write your income tax return or make you coffee).

The prizes have all been kindly sponsored by the sponsors (Creative, Keyspan, Stardock & pixtudio.com) in return for advertising coverage at 1001winampskins.com and such...

Quote:
Originally posted by GoldenSphynx
Can I see any examples of past remixed skins? I have a skin in mind I would like to remix, but I need to see what is actually expected.
I've been cautious to not post any example remixes, because I want this contest to remain open and your inspiration unhindered. Remixing skins is not something we get to see much, and we're all excited to see how these entries will turn out. Basically, just take a skin you really like and that you think your style will go with well, and do something special with it! Think of it as a music remix: when you have a cool remix of a song, the song is still recognisable - perhaps some of the original elements have been kept, or perhaps the structure or the basic flavour of the song has remained, but there have been some really cool changes made to it - something of yours that transforms the song into a new, different, and uniquely interesting version...

Basically, use your imagination, I'm sure you can do it. Be adventurous and change a lot, but don't go ridiculously overboard and change it to the point where we can't even tell what skin it was originally.

If you must see some examples, see the other thread I posted ("how likely would you be to...") where some people have posted screenshots of their remixes in progress. e-raser, for example, had taken the whole idea of an old skin and replicated it using all new graphics. Jellby took my winter skin ("Zima"), and is redoing the whole thing using a similar structure and idea but with a radically different style (a summer, African savannah style). With my remix (which won't be in contention for prizes), I decided to take one motif that I really liked from marc falk's skin (the circle patterns) and rebuild the skin with that motif becoming much more prominent. These and many other ways are good ways to approach a remix. As I said, use your imagination

Sow a thought, reap an action; sow an action, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny.

Old 6th June 2003, 09:24   #5
immortal

Send a message via ICQ to immortal Send a message via Yahoo to immortal
ow ow i want a prize!! ill finish last tho, oh well be fun making it.

20 July i got to make linear good... hmm.. :P

Quote:
Originally posted by PAK-9
Heck, it cant be worse than the PS3's double ended silver dildo.
immortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2003, 09:47   #6
Mr_007
Banned

Very nice news db!
Mr_007 is very happy of this fresh news!
Good luck db
Mr_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2003, 11:15   #7
Jellby
Major Dude

I want the second prize!!!

About the 1st prize, I already have a Nomad Jukebox, so I don't need a Zen. 3rd prize is for windows, I don't use windows. Additional prizes... I can't see them, the homepage wants only IE or Netscape, they're probably windows-only too. But I've checked the second prize works in linux, I don't know if I'd use it, but I want it

So, if I win the 1st prize I'll ask the runner-up to exchange the prize with me

Seriously: I won't win any prize, but I'll make a cool new skin

Many who live deserve death, some who die deserve life - can you give it to them?
Then be not so quick to deal out death in judgement.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2003, 12:36   #8
pukkaboy
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to pukkaboy
i bought one of those jukebox zens a couple of months ago. best purchase i ever made. so i don't really have a use for the first prize. i might enter to get one of the other ones though...

Croquet is the only real form of happiness
Proud member of the Correct Grammar Association™. (CGA)
'All of your bases belong to us!'
pukkaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2003, 14:49   #9
xenosomething
Major Dude

Re: The 1001winampskins.com Skin Remix Contest!

Quote:
Originally posted by ¤db¤

1st Prize: The ground-breaking Creative® NOMAD® Jukebox Zen USB2.0 portable MP3 player, with 60GB(!) capacity and worth $399.99!
!!!!! are you serious?! oh man...i soooo want one.

i am going to have to enter now.
xenosomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2003, 15:29   #10
skinme!
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by rean
i got to make linear good... hmm.. :P
What do you mean make LINEAR good? It's already good. It just needs to be great

Old 6th June 2003, 17:51   #11
BlueBalls
Major Dude

Bah, I was going to compete but none of the prizes motivate me enough, I got a CD Player and a CD Burner, teh fack do I need an MP3 player for? Remote seems weird and would probably freak me right the hell out. I dont' feel the need to have Windowblinds or any such other thing.

I guess I might partcipate for fun, but I have 2 skins going right now, so I guess I have to pass. Awesome prizes for people who want them though and I wish everybody a lot of luck. I didn't expect to win anyway, but it's good to shoot to win.

Good luck to you all I hope people love your skins. I give anybody full permission to remix any of mine that are on that site. Good luck again!

...//Oxidise.org - Coming Soon...
...//Breedart.org - Skin Division Member...
...//deviantART; blueballs - My devPage...
BlueBalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2003, 19:25   #12
Jellby
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueBalls
Bah, I was going to compete but none of the prizes motivate me enough, I got a CD Player and a CD Burner, teh fack do I need an MP3 player for?
Wouldn't you like to be able to carry your whole CD/MP3 collection in the palm of your hand? All your music is in the player, and you can play it in whatever order you like (talk about making a huge playlist and shuffle ). That's the use of such a MP3-player, if you don't want it that's fine, I thought the same, until I got tired of choosing everyday which CD I was going to bring to the office in advance...

By the way, I can tell you the quality of the Nomad players is excellent. They're not crappy quickly-made always-crashing cheap devices, but you'll probably want to use good headphones instead of the bundled ones

Many who live deserve death, some who die deserve life - can you give it to them?
Old 6th June 2003, 19:32   #13
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by Jellby

By the way, I can tell you the quality of the Nomad players is excellent.
Creative however often install dubious software on your system.
gen_nomad.dll anyone, shudder..............
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2003, 20:14   #14
dam
Forum King

Send a message via Yahoo to dam
OMG! That first prize is to die for!!

Now all I gotta do is find ut if atmo will give me the After midnight .psp

edit : [silly question] What about naming? Are we supposed to name the skins [Insert name here] remix or are we free to choose the names ourselves ? [/silly question]
dam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2003, 20:17   #15
FooMonkey
Listens to Chicago!
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to FooMonkey Send a message via AIM to FooMonkey Send a message via Yahoo to FooMonkey
Quote:
Originally posted by GoldenSphynx
Me too.

I don't quite understand the concept, really. It would help if I could see some examples.

[edit]Almost forgot, Simon, may I have permission to remix your notepad skin? I don't know what I want to do with it quite yet, but I think it will be fun.[/edit]

[website](foomonkey)|(Winamp|DevArt)[skins]
I'm so hip I have trouble seeing over my pelvis.
Jellby's Skiners' Atlas
FooMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2003, 00:00   #16
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to garetjax Send a message via AIM to garetjax Send a message via MSN to garetjax Send a message via Yahoo to garetjax
I'm good with it. Count me In. Now who's skin ahh...One I already got permission for...heh.

1001skins |
That's not a skin, it's some god awful piece of skinner gunk. - Mr. Jones
garetjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2003, 05:54   #17
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to garetjax Send a message via AIM to garetjax Send a message via MSN to garetjax Send a message via Yahoo to garetjax
Lets Play recognize this skin.

Well, here is the beginning construct of my Remix...Who can guess what it was...

Might, be harder than you think...
Attached Images
File Type: png main.png (7.5 KB, 335 views)

1001skins |
That's not a skin, it's some god awful piece of skinner gunk. - Mr. Jones
garetjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2003, 06:13   #18
StillWater
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by dam
[silly question] What about naming? Are we supposed to name the skins [Insert name here] remix or are we free to choose the names ourselves ? [/silly question]
I don't think we'll have any restrictions on the title, so that people will have complete freedom to come up with funky titles. The description and readme.txtt will have to contain clear info about the fact that it's a remix, and what the original skin was. Perhaps we'll include the word "remix" in the 'version number' when the skins are published on the site, but this is only an idea so far.

blueballs: why want a Nomad Zen when you already have a CD burner? Well, though it's a comparable size and weight to a CD Walkman (and you don't need to carry around CDs), it holds 60gig worth of music instead of 800meg. Not to mention that you can use it like a zip drive for storing data - portable 60gig storage that 'plug-and-plays' into just about any other computer. I dunno, sounds pretty good to me

Of the other prizes, I have a Keyspan remote, and it's the best computer accessory I've ever had. I primarily use my pc to play music, and this little baby lets me control my winamp etc. remotely. I've grown used to the convenience of controlling everything remotely - stereo, video and tv - and it sucked having to go the computer everytime just to skip to the next track or pause it, or mute the sound, etc. And the infra-red is strong - I can point it just about anywhere in the room, and it works.

Foomonkey: Remember that remixes are pretty uncommon in the world of winamp skinning, so no one is 100% percent sure what exactly all these remixes will look like - which is what makes it exciting. It'll probably be easier, and possibly more fun, than making your own skin from scratch, but it will take imagination. Remixing skins is fairly unexplored territory, and I suspect that those who explore it most imaginatively will probably win the day...

Old 7th June 2003, 06:28   #19
Wiser87

What's funny is that the MP3 player is 60 GB, which is four times the hard-drive space on my laptop...
Wiser87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2003, 10:06   #20
Jellby
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Jones
Creative however often install dubious software on your system.
gen_nomad.dll anyone, shudder..............
Yep, while Creative's hardware is very good, Creative's software is just evil, avoid it as much as you can, fortunately there are 3rd party alternatives to PlayCenter, you have to install the drivers, but that's all.

Quote:
Not to mention that you can use it like a zip drive for storing data - portable 60gig storage that 'plug-and-plays' into just about any other computer.
Beware! The Zen is not a portable hard disk, it won't work as a external unit, you can't run programs from there or install them in it, you can copy data files, but it has no directory structure (this can be "workarounded" with zip files, the music, on the other hand, is nicely organized in a database). And, in order to read what's in the Zen, you need the drivers, it's not "plug-and-play" (that's so because it uses a custom filesystem that's optimized for music files, so it's not directly recognized by windows or other OS'es). Oh... and the battery is not "user-replaceable", but it should last a few years.

P.S. Where does the Zen come from? In Europe there's a 2-year warranty, in the US it's 90-days, how long is this baby's warranty?

Old 7th June 2003, 11:02   #21
skinme!
Forum King

You intending to take it on a deep sea diving expedition, Jellby? BTW, the Zen has a bigger HDD than my computer (40gig, P4 2.0GHz, 512Mb RAM, WinXPhome, fatass monitor[well, quite big])

Old 7th June 2003, 12:18   #22
StillWater
Forum King

My hard drive is 60gig, but that's because I bought the biggest one I could afford, since I do video editing which takes up massive amounts of space - even a friend of mine who's worked in IT for several years and has a fairly grunty computer was surprised at how big my hard drive was. 60gig for an mp3 player sounds pretty lip-lickingly good to me.

Thanks for elaborating, Jellby. It seems the Zen would still work well for making large backups, and as long as you have the drivers, you could still use it to easily transfer files between computers, right? I'm not sure how long the warranty is, I'll get back to you...

Old 7th June 2003, 12:48   #23
Jellby
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by skinme!
You intending to take it on a deep sea diving expedition, Jellby?
What did I say to make you think so?

P.S. I have a 20GB hard disk... plus a 80GB one The bad thing about massive disks is... how the hell do you back them up?!?!
P.P.S. My jukebox is only 6GB, and it's almost full, but I might upgrade its HD once the warranty is over...

Old 7th June 2003, 13:27   #24
skinme!
Forum King

Well, you were asking about warranties, so I thought you were planning on taking it on a diving expedition. Don't ask. I had only just got up!

Old 7th June 2003, 19:06   #25
flatmatt
Iron Chef
(Reviewer)

Too bad I'm me, otherwise I could get that first prize to replace my broken RioVolt that they never bothered to send me the return authorization for.

Me: Model # PSX100
Tech support: We don't make that model.
Me: Well, for some reason it's listed on your site as SP100.
Tech support: Uh, okay

Tech support: Can I get your e-mail address?
Me: f-l-a-t...
Tech support: s?

Long story short, I never got an e-mail from them. I later e-mailed them (keep in mind the warranty expired 5 days from when I placed the phone call).

Tech support: No, we never received [lost] your fax, can you [spend another $2 to] resend it?

Bastards.

Wait a second, gen_nomad.dll. Hmmmm. Bastards.
flatmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2003, 21:37   #26
dimichan
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to dimichan
Quote:
Originally posted by Jellby
P.S. I have a 20GB hard disk... plus a 80GB one The bad thing about massive disks is... how the hell do you back them up?!?!
P.P.S. My jukebox is only 6GB, and it's almost full, but I might upgrade its HD once the warranty is over...
If you figure out an easy way to back up, let me know - I now have a 15 gig, 80 gig, and 40 gig drive... and the 40 was to back up shit on the 80... can we see where this is going? So now a master (the 15) for programs, a main slave (the 80) for media, graphics, music, software install backups etc, and the 40 (secondary PCI slave) to back up the most massive media files on the 80 that would take too many cds to back up... ugh. Welcome to the digital age haha.

And I want the first prize, I don't have a jukebox yet!!! Though I'd take any of 'em... hehe.
dimichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2003, 22:48   #27
Cleanup
The WWYD Jerk
(Forum King)

$399 American? Damnit.

I was ripped on my Sony thing... CD MP3, no media library, three-hundred-twenty bucks, what a waste of money. My brother bought a Soul Player for $300 bucks TWO YEARS before I purchased the thing... what a rip.
Cleanup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2003, 23:46   #28
FooMonkey
Listens to Chicago!
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to FooMonkey Send a message via AIM to FooMonkey Send a message via Yahoo to FooMonkey
I have one of them MP3 CD players. It's nifty. 800MB is nowhere near 60GB though. My only HDD is 60 GB. I'm going to get a 10 disc MP3 CD changer for my car sometime soon. That's enough to last months between changings. 60GB is crizazy.

[website](foomonkey)|(Winamp|DevArt)[skins]
I'm so hip I have trouble seeing over my pelvis.
Jellby's Skiners' Atlas
FooMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2003, 02:13   #29
GoldenSphynx
Forum King

I emailed the creator of the skin I wanted to remix three days ago. I haven't gotten a reply. Should I choose another skin?
GoldenSphynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2003, 04:33   #30
e-raser
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to e-raser Send a message via AIM to e-raser
well i sooo want that zen player but i do have a juckbox ver. 1 and its been collecting dust for over a year cuz the softwere always dissconects from the player...can any one point me in the direction of alternative softwere?....
also now very concerned with my remix....says in the rules its realy got to still have the fell of the original skin... well getting the original feel of ampburger is in many ways a bad thing seeing how it had 0 on functionality and was other that its brilliant concept not much to talk about....ummm i may be submittin two skins then
e-raser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2003, 11:16   #31
simon snowflake
Skin Wizard
(Forum King)

Location: Gent, Belgium. does anybody know where the toilets are?
Send a message via ICQ to simon snowflake
Hmmm, I might give it a try, gonna read the rules now.

don't be a thief of your own life.... : DEXYD - Digitally EXpressing Your Dreams

Join the Winamp Enthusiasts Forum - Join the Winamp Skin Love facebook group:
simon snowflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2003, 12:17   #32
StillWater
Forum King

GoldenSphynx: If I were you, I'd wait a little longer - not everyone checks their mail everyday. Perhaps have a look for alternate emails for that skinner - at other skin sites or at her/his website (if s/he has one)

e-raser: Ask Jellby about alternate software. From what I've seen of your remix, it seems like your ok. (I won't be a judge, so this is just my opinion). But the idea is that people should be able to see a clear visual relationship between the remix and the original skin. In the case of your remix, I think the character and the concept of the original skin has been carried through quite clearly into the remix - you don't have to capture the 'feeling' of everything about the original skin (if the original skin has got poor functionality, you certainly don't need to keep that!) - as long as there are things about the remix which distinctly relate to the original skin, so that people will see it and say, "yep, I can see that this e-raser remix is certainly a remix of BurgerAmp".

Though, feel free to submit more than one remix - if you submit more than one, there's more chance to win a prize. However, as mentioned in the rules, you can't have more than one skin in the top 5 - if the judges end up selecting two of your skins into the top 5, the lower-rated one will be removed from prize contention, making way for a different skinner's remix...

Old 8th June 2003, 12:51   #33
Jellby
Major Dude

Quote:
(I won't be a judge, so this is just my opinion).
You won't???? Damn!! Why am I remixing a skin of yours then?

By the way, the eagle looks great in my skin. By pure luck there is a clearing in the tree just where the volume is, and the eagle catches the smaller bird just behind a branch, which gives it a more dramatic feeling (this reminds me of a mythical documentary scene, involving a goshawk and a rabbit, which you haven't probably seen, because it was in a series about Spanish fauna...). And I have added some colour to it (in Zima it fitted better as a black silhoutte, in my skin it doesn't)

e-raser: I'm sending you a P.M.

Old 8th June 2003, 16:35   #34
simon snowflake
Skin Wizard
(Forum King)

I little question on wich i couldn't find a straight answer.
Is it wa 2 and 3?

don't be a thief of your own life.... : DEXYD - Digitally EXpressing Your Dreams

Old 8th June 2003, 16:41   #35
StillWater
Forum King

jellby: cool

simon:

first line of the Contest Rules: The objective of this contest is to remix someone else's already existing Winamp 2.x skin

Old 8th June 2003, 16:45   #36
simon snowflake
Skin Wizard
(Forum King)

yeah but it doesnt say it cant be ported to wa3.
If i take a wa2.x skin and remix it in to a wa3.x skin its still a remix.

But its wa 2.x only I guess

Old 8th June 2003, 16:52   #37
StillWater
Forum King

hmm, good point. I'll get Max to stipulate that in the rules.

Old 8th June 2003, 18:08   #38
Jellby
Major Dude

Quote from the rules:

"Your remix MUST be Winamp 2.9-compatible"

Old 8th June 2003, 18:29   #39
StillWater
Forum King

Also a good point. I should have re-read the rules before making that last post But if Simon was unsure, others may be too, so we'll probably stipulate it more clearly in the rules.

Old 8th June 2003, 18:52   #40
simon snowflake
Skin Wizard
(Forum King)

yeah, but if you read from a pc-monitor, you can easy read over that. (i hope, because i did). I think it should be in the title it self or in the subtitle.

but tnx anyways for clearing it out for me

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Classic Skins