Old 10th April 2005, 19:38   #1
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

"Must have" classic skins

I recently decided that modern skins weren't worth my rescources, and am looking to bulk up on my classic skin collection.

There are a crapload of classic skins, and to be honest, a lot of them suck. But there are masterpieces.

So what skins do you guys think are either have a unique enough appearance, unique functions, hold a certian spot in classic skinning history, or are the pinnicle of their "genre" to be labeled a "must have"

(and for fairness sake, noone can pimp their own skin)

Obviously, I think a good start would be the Fusion skins and the Wa5 Modern "port"
I might even put delirious up there for it's order-chaos shuffle button.

elevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladylevitateme
shakey_snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2005, 19:44   #2
LuigiHann
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to LuigiHann
http://icsun.ithaca.edu:88/cpenziul/10506/10506mh/
Oh wait, no pimping my own skins? Dang.
As for non-mine, I use Steve Moss's Frequency and Major Tom, and I like Stillwater's Zima and SHAG skins...
I dunno. i rarely use skins other than my own, and I think I have fairly unique taste in skins anyway.

Who is the milkman? What is the purpose of the goggles?
LuigiHann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2005, 20:13   #3
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
the .wsz files are the classic ones.

dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2005, 20:14   #4
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Any classic skin among these is a "must have":
http://www.winamp.com/user/view.php?...ow=submissions
Oops, a self-pimp snuck in there.
Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2005, 21:02   #5
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Frequency, Major Tom, Nemish and Steel This Amp by Steve Moss (updated by LuigiHann)

MindFunk By James Potter
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2005, 15:13   #7
StillWater
Forum King

Do some searches for these:
-Some really old ones that were great in their day and still are rarely beaten nowadays are skins by fli7e. (I believe that's where I first saw a chaos/order shuffle button)
-Anything by ripe (aka Richard Pettifer) - easily one of the best skinners ever. He's only made several skins, but they are all absolutely top-class.
-Nucleo made two tremendous skins (Alienmind and N_Log), then disappeared off the scene for years, then made a third one which, surprisingly, wasn't as polished as his first two.
-LuigiHann's skins are as clever and well-thought-out as any.
-Liquid Paradise (and its counterpart SummerBreeze) by ampburner is one that has probably never been matched for sheer prettiness.
-Marek Wojtal is a skinner of old who created a niche that no one really has since been able to fill (except maybe ripe)
-Orb Amp and Yaxay amp by e-raser (aka Jacob Aspler) are terrific skins.
-zrco has a very sleek style that I like a lot

Sow a thought, reap an action; sow an action, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny.

All my skins: @ winamp.com @ 1K1WS @ Deviantart.com

My latest Flash Project: BreathingEarth.net
StillWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2005, 15:43   #8
ujay
Forum King

Alienmind is one of the best I've ever seen, great piece of design.
Not thet I'd ever it, I prefer the default classic or something very minmalist.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2005, 23:57   #9
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to garetjax Send a message via AIM to garetjax Send a message via MSN to garetjax Send a message via Yahoo to garetjax
Fusion Skins Rock

1001skins |
That's not a skin, it's some god awful piece of skinner gunk. - Mr. Jones
garetjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2005, 02:58   #10
El-ArGeNtO
Major Dude

Try This 3 names...
El Argento...El Argento..and of course El Argento!..Lol...Just Joking...try this names
The Famous Stillwater,The Videogames Lover Luigi Hann, 883 (or kuki it was his other alias) Richard Pettifer (I think sometimes he was called RIPE) ViDA...and, what else, try the updates of Steve Moss ... and i dunno I've not a lot of thime in this business...maybe,C-Specter's skins are good too...lot's of names
El-ArGeNtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2005, 03:58   #11
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Nullsoft Classicz
Old 14th April 2005, 18:20   #12
flatmatt
Iron Chef
(Reviewer)

If there were only nine classic skins in existence, I would want them to be:

DuskAmp (old version)
Freelove
Bleu Thing
Harvest Moon GBC
X-Qwizit
LiquidParadise
Connect-X
Act 2 Finale
DadaAmp
flatmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2005, 20:34   #13
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to mike-db
Alein Area
Live Alien Skin
Alien Metalloid
And my all time favorite
Cryostasis

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
mike-db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2005, 07:02   #14
StillWater
Forum King

Are you one of those people who talks about nothing else except the 'good old days before the war', flatmatt? All of those skins are like 4 years old! Surely there are one or two skins made in the last 4 years that you think match up to those?!

Me thinks that list smells like a bit of an 'old-boys' club' list to me, since every single skinner on it was/is an older member of this forum. You should be in politics, flatmatt

Sow a thought, reap an action; sow an action, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny.

Old 15th April 2005, 15:24   #15
flatmatt
Iron Chef
(Reviewer)

Quote:
Originally posted by StillWater
Are you one of those people who talks about nothing else except the 'good old days before the war', flatmatt? All of those skins are like 4 years old! Surely there are one or two skins made in the last 4 years that you think match up to those?!

Me thinks that list smells like a bit of an 'old-boys' club' list to me, since every single skinner on it was/is an older member of this forum. You should be in politics, flatmatt
Well, to be honest, no, there hasn't been a skin since then that I've loved as much as those I listed. That said, I had trouble figuring out a tenth skin, and a couple LuigiHann skins, along with xenosomething's Fire Elemental, were certainly in the running (up against skins from chiquita chad and rich (er, ripe)). In the end, I figured that trying to add a tenth skin would be rather arbitrary. If I extended that list a few more, I think I might add:

Love Hina
SMB3 World 2
Britney Fluff
Kurtz
Iced Blue
Fire Elemental
Thich Quang Duc - The Burning Monk
System of a Down
Euclideamp Geometry
Old 15th April 2005, 15:28   #16
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Britney Fluff, now there was a helluva skin

I would have to echo fm's sentiments,and not just because he picked two of my skins, for me the golden age of classic skinning really was 4 - 5 years back, when most of the inovative ideas and designs came out of the woodwork.

For a real classic skin, I love the Bathtile series...

Original
http://www.winamp.com/skins/details.php?id=38818

Bleu
http://www.winamp.com/skins/details.php?id=50735

Azure
http://www.winamp.com/skins/details.php?id=60083

I Even like that one that was done by that scallywag Cap'n Jones, still annoyed that he never asked mine or cappys permission to do it, the bloody mbinner on that is just downright bad taste :-/
http://www.winamp.com/skins/details.php?id=44266

My classic library is very very small, I still use LFB in the dark, and that's a five year old one, that's been pretty constant since the day I first installed winamp.

In recent times the only skins that have jumped out at me to show any sign of fun and originallity are sledheads poker/pool playing dogs and luigis TNBC skins, there are probably a few others as well along the way, maybe they will come back to me later.....
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2005, 16:22   #17
StillWater
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by flatmatt
Well, to be honest, no, there hasn't been a skin since then that I've loved as much as those I listed.
Your loss.

That second list was also exclusively based on forum members. Maybe one day you'll learn to appreciate skins for their inherent value, and not just based on whether or not you happened to be chummy with their creators back in the day. If you do, you'll be nicely surprised - there have been loads of talented and creative skinners over the years, and the majority of them have never even set foot into this little forum.

Just voicing my opinion.

Old 15th April 2005, 16:31   #18
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

I would imagine that fm more than anyone, apart from maybe Wally , has seen more skins than he can probably remember during his time as one of the great unpaid nullsoft slaves, err, I mean beloved skin reviewers, maybe it's because of this that he knows what he likes in his skins.
Old 15th April 2005, 16:49   #19
StillWater
Forum King

I didn't question how many skins he's seen, but how he looks at them. I think the fact that 18 out of 18 of the skins he mentioned were from forumites makes it more than clear that "what he likes in his skins" is as much about who made them than it is about the skins themselves. Not that that's a crime or anything, it just irks me because it seems like it's a clique-mentality speaking more than anything else, that's all.

Old 15th April 2005, 16:58   #20
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

I think you'll find that with most replies in this thread, ask a collective group of people what they like and most of the time they'll mention something made by their peers.

Just look at the replies in this thread, pretty much each and everyone of them features something made by someone who uses/used these forums.

/woooooo, 5pm Friday ! the weekend starts here!
Old 15th April 2005, 22:21   #21
StillWater
Forum King

That's true.

Old 16th April 2005, 00:30   #22
flatmatt
Iron Chef
(Reviewer)

Quote:
Your loss.

That second list was also exclusively based on forum members. Maybe one day you'll learn to appreciate skins for their inherent value, and not just based on whether or not you happened to be chummy with their creators back in the day. If you do, you'll be nicely surprised - there have been loads of talented and creative skinners over the years, and the majority of them have never even set foot into this little forum.

Just voicing my opinion.
To be honest, I don't actually see too many skins not created by people in this forum, other than those that I review of course. I don't really have a need to go out of my way to find more skins. After all, there isn't a real good way to find the good skins out there among the thousands of others that are out there.

So really I think the main source of bias here is just that this is where I learn about new skins.
Old 16th April 2005, 01:46   #23
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Jones
Britney Fluff, now there was a helluva skin
That rascal had a lot of very good skins, but even his own website is down now.
Old 16th April 2005, 05:49   #24
El-ArGeNtO
Major Dude

I feel like a loser in this tread
Old 16th April 2005, 05:59   #25
LuigiHann
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to LuigiHann
Quote:
Originally posted by El-ArGeNtO
I feel like a loser in this tread
You're not a loser...
You're just a n00b

Who is the milkman? What is the purpose of the goggles?
LuigiHann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2005, 06:06   #26
El-ArGeNtO
Major Dude

soo n00b...i know few of this skins with the database clean up I found a lot of cool skin's i didn't knew...but, wait 4 years more and i'll be the one who knows a lot of skins
Old 16th April 2005, 09:01   #27
StillWater
Forum King

Let me say here, for the record, that I think that El-ArGeNtO has the potential to become one of the best winamp skinners ever. His skins 'think outside the square' more than just about any I've seen, and yet they're all made with the incredibly limiting mspaint!

One day, he will get Photoshop and start using it. Then, he'll get better and better at graphics, and the freedom of Photoshop will make his skinning abilities soar, as it does to everyone, and then he'll start making some of the most original and great-looking skins out there. And on that day, I will find this post, quote it, and say "I told you so"

Flatmatt: That's certainly true - there's a lot of crap to wade through out there

Old 17th April 2005, 03:40   #28
Kepstin

Send a message via ICQ to Kepstin Send a message via AIM to Kepstin
Hmm. this thread is just asking for more input

Nucleo NLog - this is what i think of for "must have skins"

Most of the "Nullsoft Classicz" wally mentioned above, in particular Major Tom.

This guy, despite some of the controversy/forum politics surrounding him, made some awesome wa2 skins. Fe2o3 is the winamp classic transparent skin

Let's see - aha! Nuclear Memory!

There, that's my opinion

Hmm. it's rather odd when you still feel new, and the new people are 3 years newer than you

There used to be more stuff, but hey, links die over the years.
Generic Plating: Red, Blue
Kepstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2005, 04:24   #29
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

I'm suprised at all the incomplete skins...If fact, almost all the skins listed here are incomplete...

I'm also suprised noone has mentioned my all-time favorite skin (which I can't find anywhere) Five-two Amp.

Old 17th April 2005, 06:36   #30
Dude2222

both updated for winamp 5 :-)

iTunes

Dude2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2005, 13:33   #31
Doggy Dog
Canis Sapiens
(Reviewer)

Send a message via ICQ to Doggy Dog
You know, I once downloaded each and every skin that was a 5 before user reviews were available. About 60% of those deserved the five, but I'll have to check at home if those are still in the database.
Doggy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2005, 01:55   #32
El-ArGeNtO
Major Dude

Quote:
Let me say here, for the record, that I think that El-ArGeNtO has the potential to become one of the best winamp skinners ever. His skins 'think outside the square' more than just about any I've seen, and yet they're all made with the incredibly limiting mspaint!

One day, he will get Photoshop and start using it. Then, he'll get better and better at graphics, and the freedom of Photoshop will make his skinning abilities soar, as it does to everyone, and then he'll start making some of the most original and great-looking skins out there. And on that day, I will find this post, quote it, and say "I told you so"
Old 18th April 2005, 02:28   #33
StillWater
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by shakey_snake
I'm suprised at all the incomplete skins...If fact, almost all the skins listed here are incomplete...
Well, you did say you wanted skins that hold a "certain spot in classic history", so a lot of them will predate the ML and VID windows. But I wouldn't say almost all of the ones listed were incomplete. There certainly were a few skins there that are complete, such as most of those from LuigiHann, me, ripe, some from Steve Moss, Nucleo's N_Log (which was listed like 5 times ) and more...

Here are another few classic skins that no one has mentioned (not all of them are complete though, though she recently popped into the forum to say she was planning on updating them) . Some of the best from dimichan, one of the most 'organic' skinners around:

http://www1.1001skins.com/skin_detai...l?skin_id=2904
http://www1.1001skins.com/skin_detai...l?skin_id=3134
http://www1.1001skins.com/skin_detai...l?skin_id=2849
http://www1.1001skins.com/skin_detai...l?skin_id=2756

Old 20th April 2005, 07:35   #35
catdreamer

I noticed that there are a couple of beautiful skins that haven't been mentioned yet. There are more I could add to the list but these stand out in my collection.

Angel Wind

Water Colours

The Silence

AzraeksBlocks

Realmwerkz

The Furnace
catdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2005, 13:19   #36
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Quote:
Some more classics from various genres - tell me when to stop :
Please go on!
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2005, 18:04   #37
rohan_pwln
Major Dude

Add Nucleo Alien Mind
Nucleo nlog v102
Nucleo Revo
Syrogensis
Aquiar Chimera
Audiere
Epoch
Winamp classic skin
A-tek
ADP
Ancient Machine
Petrol Flange
yaXay {all classic skins}

[that's all for now]

My MAKI contribs.: STONE
My WebSite My Blog My Skins: fnk 32 Rioport v1 Sienna Burning Steel
My Saying: Eat healthy, Stay fit... Die Anyway
rohan_pwln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2005, 05:20   #38
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

Hey skin search works!
Here's the link to the skin I was talking about before:

http://www.winamp.com/skins/details.php?id=139188

Old 30th April 2005, 13:32   #39
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to garetjax Send a message via AIM to garetjax Send a message via MSN to garetjax Send a message via Yahoo to garetjax
garetjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2005, 17:16   #40
El-ArGeNtO
Major Dude

Nice skin in my first skin i used a similar technique (I mean, the pixels one)
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Classic Skins