Old 24th May 2006, 11:31   #1
Nightryde

AOL + Winamp

ever since AOL bought out Nullsoft Winamp the software when to shit! Following corporate strategy to increase market share aol developers added extra functions like cd ripping/burning aol xm, aol videso with ads, "singingfish" (i wonder how much they paid aol to add their service?)

this is bullshit. im gonna use winamp 5.08e, i dont care if there are 30 stream listings.. i'll use a browser

fuck you aol, i want justin back!
Nightryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2006, 11:45   #2
drewbar
Sawg 2.0
Major Dude

Winamp 5.08e was made by AOL.
Nullsoft has been owned by AOL since 1999.

Count with us!
Jan 1st, 12AM (PST, GMT -8) 2010 - 282,246
drewbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2006, 20:03   #3
Nightryde

great, that makes no difference. winamp 5 was owned by aol at the time. it started to slowly deteriorate as more pressure was brought on by aol. now the player sucks.
Old 24th May 2006, 20:43   #4
NJK
The Frisian

bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla

same song and dance as most people posted before
bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla

ain't nobody forcing you to use it

bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla

if you can't configure the players settings , don't blame AOL for your own stupidity

Each Thursday a new show on Celtica Radio with Darkwave music.

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2006, 21:04   #5
OutlawJim
Confused
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to OutlawJim Send a message via AIM to OutlawJim Send a message via Yahoo to OutlawJim
Or just use Winamp 2!

Nobby:I have ADD.... Germ:No shit, Nobby? Nobody would have ever guessed.
OutlawJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2006, 21:14   #6
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
AOL is what allows to winamp to be free. In fact, without AOL, winamp would most likely have stopped bing developed some time ago.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2006, 23:06   #7
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

AOL bought Winamp? When did this happen?
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2006, 23:13   #8
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Quote:
Originally posted by OutlawJim
Or just use foobar!
fixed
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2006, 23:51   #9
mark
Forum King

i dont know why i even come here, foobar rocks.
mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2006, 23:53   #10
drewbar
Sawg 2.0
Major Dude

I don't like the SHOUTcast listing, so I am going to go use <program that has no shoutcast listing> and pout. How dare a free service not meet all my silly demands.

I think half these cry babies don't even know www.shoutcast.com exists.

Count with us!
Jan 1st, 12AM (PST, GMT -8) 2010 - 282,246
drewbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2006, 01:31   #11
Nightryde

I dont use foobar, winamp 2, or any other mp3 player because I use/rely the media library to organize my music. if you know of any other players that use the winamp ml/itunes db/xml structure and can import the database in xml... please tell me!!

--

"AOL is what allows to winamp to be free. In fact, without AOL, winamp would most likely have stopped bing developed some time ago."

I would disagree, thought they would not be as profitable becuase aol is making money off ads in online services and allowing 3rd party software to be included in winamp,, they would be much more happier having a smaller developing team / incorporating their *real/innovative* ideas / and the project would still continue becuase they would make money off the pro version.. it is one of the best mp3 players for windows... internationally

dude when winamp got big.. the developers got loaded, they were well over breaking even. and you're talking about making just enought money for the project to sustain itself?!

--

Well this all boils down to the original developers' decision to sell nullsoft. from my benefit, they shouldnt have. but from their's.. it was too temping to pass up.. thats why aol offered them soo much.. "an offer they couldnt refuse"
Old 25th May 2006, 02:06   #12
mikm
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by raptor0069
I would disagree, thought they would not be as profitable becuase aol is making money off ads in online services and allowing 3rd party software to be included in winamp,, they would be much more happier having a smaller developing team / incorporating their *real/innovative* ideas / and the project would still continue becuase they would make money off the pro version.. it is one of the best mp3 players for windows... internationally
*bzzzzt* wrong. Winamp was shareware until AOL bought it.

Quote:
I would disagree, thought they would not be as profitable becuase aol is making money...allowing 3rd party software to be included in winamp
Explain.
Quote:
they would make money off the pro version
*bzzzt* wrong again. What you're paying for in WA Pro is the Sonic engine, among other things. You're not paying for Winamp itself.

Quote:
Well this all boils down to the original developers' decision to sell nullsoft. from my benefit, they shouldnt have. but from their's.. it was too temping to pass up.. thats why aol offered them soo much.. "an offer they couldnt refuse"
Justin was given $86 million for Winamp. I wouldn't have passed it up, and I doubt you would either.

powered by C₂H₅OH
mikm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2006, 02:27   #13
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Heh, yeah
Quote:
they would make money off the pro version
that consists of unlocking the ripping/burning function you complained about in your first post.
Quote:
Originally posted by mikm
*bzzzzt* wrong. Winamp was shareware until AOL bought it.
Rather friendly shareware though:
Attached Images
File Type: png wa205share.png (9.1 KB, 316 views)
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2006, 03:13   #14
MegaRock
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to MegaRock Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRock
Quote:
Originally posted by spaceplay
bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla

same song and dance as most people posted before

bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla

Quoted for emphasis.

Megarock Radio - St. Louis Since 1998!
Tune In Now!
Corporate Radio Sucks! No suits, all rock!
MegaRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2006, 03:16   #15
Nightryde

"*bzzzzt* wrong. Winamp was shareware until AOL bought it."

I've used winamp since 1.x
...Shareware/Pro version they both make money from selling user licences to use the software.

"Explain."

SingingFish online service? how did they sneak into winamp.. im sure it wasnt free. and all the ads in aol music / winamp music..

how did predixis musicmatch and Sonic make it into winamp? who pays who?

"*bzzzt* wrong again. What you're paying for in WA Pro is the Sonic engine, among other things. You're not paying for Winamp itself."

If you read carefully, you'de know that I was talking about a hypothetical situation where nullsoft would continue to develop winamp.. making money from selling a pro version (that has more features and such).

"Justin was given $86 million for Winamp. I wouldn't have passed it up, and I doubt you would either."

I was justifying his decision. Thats way more than I would have guessed. where did you hear that from? He made more money there than he would have if he continued to develop winamp... for quite a long time
Old 25th May 2006, 03:28   #16
Keoll

watch out.....the hive mind is bussing again
Keoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2006, 03:41   #17
mikm
Major Dude

No. The original Winamp was shareware so Nullsoft wouldn't be developing Winamp for free. Winamp is now free. With Pro, you're paying for Sonic.

AOL pays for Sonic, Predixis, etc not the other way around.

powered by C₂H₅OH
Old 25th May 2006, 03:44   #18
mikm
Major Dude

No. The original Winamp was shareware so Nullsoft wouldn't be developing Winamp for free. Winamp is now free. With Pro, you're paying for Sonic.

AOL pays for Sonic, Predixis, the MP3 decoding license, etc not the other way around. If you don't want these features, you don't have to install/use them.

Of course AOL needs to make money, but it's not as if they are trying to hurt their users.

[edit]That was weird. I could have sworn I pressed the "edit" button[/edit]

powered by C₂H₅OH
Old 25th May 2006, 03:44   #19
Nightryde

Quote:
Originally posted by gaekwad2
Rather friendly shareware though:
nice screen shot
and cool msstyle/or whatever gfx mod that is
Old 25th May 2006, 03:50   #20
Nightryde

Quote:

AOL pays for Sonic, Predixis, the MP3 decoding license, etc not the other way around. If you don't want these features, you don't have to install/use them.
I didnt say Sonic & Predixis pay aol. i was asking who pays who.

Quote:
Of course AOL needs to make money, but it's not as if they are trying to hurt their users.[/B]
aol is not as concerned for users as justin was. that is an understatement. aol wants to make money, justin wanted to make a good mp3 player and make the users happy. read the screen shot that was posted.
Old 25th May 2006, 03:54   #21
mikm
Major Dude

Of course Justin cares more about users than AOL. I'm just saying that AOL isn't 100% evil.

powered by C₂H₅OH
Old 25th May 2006, 04:09   #22
Nightryde

My main point being is that ever since AOL took over development of winamp, the software has gone to shit. There are too many functions and included software (software thats proprietary). Even though you can opt not to install these features they still lurke.. e.g i want shoutcast radio/tv (that justin's team made) but i dont want any of the other online services (that suck, which aol added, showing they have not come up with any new innovation)
Old 25th May 2006, 09:10   #23
mark
Forum King

up to 2.95 and the early 5.x's were ok in my eyes. I'm sure its still fine on today's PCs.

I do disagree with the bundled shit though, but it can be removed. Pro is a separate entity, since the features it supplies wouldnt have made it into winamp any other way, and liscences need paid.
Old 25th May 2006, 10:45   #24
Jay
Moderator Alumni

you can remove any component you do not like, including the media library. This is an aspect of winamp that has never changed. If you don't like something, remove it or redo it, the API is open and you are free to contribute and make a "better" winamp.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2006, 13:38   #25
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
My main point being is that ever since AOL took over development of winamp, the software has gone to shit. There are too many functions and included software (software thats proprietary). Even though you can opt not to install these features they still lurke.. e.g i want shoutcast radio/tv (that justin's team made) but i dont want any of the other online services (that suck, which aol added, showing they have not come up with any new innovation)
Sorry to have to say this, but you are so full of shit that it hurts :-p

Since AOL took over development?
The Nullsoft dev team is Benski, Tag, Maksim, Taber, Will & DrO.
Tag has been at Nullsoft a long time, maybe even before the aol purchase in 1999 (and I think maybe Taber has too).
Tom Pepper and Tag Loomis developed Shoutcast, not Justin.
Tag is still here. Tag developed Online Services.
You can uncheck AOL Radio/Videos & Singing Fish in Online Services root, so then they won't be displayed in the ml nodes.

Will & DrO are forum moderators, users just like you and me.

In 5.22 all the Media Library components have been split into separate ml plugins, so you can remove anything (Now Playing, Bookmarks, History, Local Media, Playlists, Rip & Burn, Online Services, Portables, Wire). Basically, gen_ml is now just a loader.

You say that the development has gone to shit. Well, I totally disagree.
Since Benski (Ben Allison) took over as main programmer, we've now got almost full unicode support (which should be fully implemented by 5.3x), native gapless mp3 playback, native multi-user support, AacPlus Encoding (including hi-bitrate), AacPlus in mp4 container decoding, highly improved advanced title formatting, stereo beat vis, id3v2.4 support, huge modern skinning engine optimizations, a vastly lower memory imprint, hi-definition WMV support (incl. drm'ed), podcast support, http compression support, ripping at up to 8x speed in the the non-pro version, hundreds and hundreds of bug fixes - some of which have plagued users for many years, loads of awesome general optimizations, and so much more.

The ads that come with the free video streams have got nothing to do with aol. It's the content providers who specify that they must be shown, otherwise there can be no free videos. Besides, no-one's forcing you to watch them or even use that service.

And as already stated, the Pro license fee just covers the cost of paying for the Sonic Burning Engine (which has actually been there since v2.95), MP3 Encoding (although LAMEEnc is free/open source, a per-user license still needs to be paid to Fraunhofer/Thomson who own the mp3 patent), and hi-bitrate aacPlus encoding.

5.22 rocks... and coming sooner than you think.

It's all good.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2006, 20:35   #26
Mr_007
Banned

Re: AOL + Winamp

Quote:
ever since AOL bought out Nullsoft Winamp the software when to shit! Following corporate strategy to increase market share aol developers added extra functions like cd ripping/burning aol xm, aol videso with ads, "singingfish" (i wonder how much they paid aol to add their service?)

this is bullshit. im gonna use winamp 5.08e, i dont care if there are 30 stream listings.. i'll use a browser

fuck you aol, i want justin back!
You can use Winamp 2.95
Mr_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2006, 20:43   #27
will
Nullsoft Newbie (Moderator)

Egg you fell for the troll.

DO NOT PM ME WITH TECH SUPPORT QUESTIONS
will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2006, 20:48   #28
DrO

it's gone to shit since AOL took over? i'll agree with Egg's post totally and also if you're so fascinated with this AOL crap (which has been seen sooo many times it's just gotten fucking annoying) then why aren't you using one of the 2.x builds like 2.24 or whatever was the last once before the 1999 buyout and then you're free of any AOL owned code and then see how you like it.

get a fucking life and just get over it. don't like it, don't use it or code your own fucking player and have done with it all!

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2006, 20:56   #29
NJK
The Frisian

@raptor0069

try this GREAT PLAYER WITHOUT AOL CODE

it has a great future ahead , great potential

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
Old 25th May 2006, 21:54   #30
mark
Forum King

now theres a piece of history right there...
Old 26th May 2006, 01:42   #31
Nightryde

Fair case Egg. I guess you've swayed some of my misconceptions about the new winamp.

..dont get me wrong I like winamp. I use 5.08e
I'll give 5.22 try and see if I can customize it to my needs.
..I dont know too many other people using the a0 plugin, which is only compatibale with the WA 2.x in_cdda.dll
Old 26th May 2006, 09:10   #32
mark
Forum King

grab a copy of winamp2 off http://www.winampheaven.net/latest.php and install it to a separate directory. Copy its in_cdda over to your winamp5 plugin folder and then remove winamp2 again!
Old 29th July 2006, 21:27   #33
JiveHamSlicer

specifically...

None of this really detracts from the fact that there are some very annoying new changes to winamp that can't go unmentioned.

I use Winamp predominantly for the live streams, I've used it since v2.71 is the earliest I can remember I think - long time anyway. I tried many others, Sonique, MusicMatch, WMP, Foobar, Itunes and more (never tried realplayer vomit). The things that keep me coming back is the LOW LOW LOW memory usage, the live streams and the VIS. Lately I have been getting slightly annoyed...

By way of constructive criticism, (I hope),
here are the things that are specifically annoying me about Winamp v5.24 :-

- Video playback when more than one instance of the player is open randomnly becomes corrupted - the picture gets seperated by thick 'scan lines' that scroll vertically making it unwatchable, this never used to happen before, and since it's random, there is nothing I can bodge to make it stop.

- The video window doesn't 'snap' back after full screening. This means that when you move Winamp after UN-fullscreening a video the video window stays put, thus you have to move it seperately. This never used to happen before with any version of Winamp.

- The SHOUTCastTV playlist is not as usable as it used to be, the content filter doesn't work as well as it used to, the search doesn't seem to work at all and, most annoying of all, the sort 'tabs' at the top dont stay in view when you scroll down the list. OK this one's just me being fussy I suppose (not to want to give you any ammo) but the media library DID used to be much more usable.

- Random crashes, I tend to have more than one instance of Winamp open A LOT, but I can't anymore because all other instances crash after a (non-specific) time leaving me with just one. Sometimes even the remaining one crashes aswell. This I believe is something to do with my dual monitor setup but it didn't used to happen.

Don't get me wrong, I love Winamp and what it's about, but one thing after another is leading me to look elsewhere. It's too easy to blame AOL for everything and think : ah well, $%@# it! I'll use something else then ya basteds.

Please restore my faith

BTW, I got here by typing '"$%@# YOU AOL" winamp' in Google hehe
JiveHamSlicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2006, 21:40   #34
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
one sentence that will change lives and settle rumors all in one fell swoop :
YOU ARE STILL BITCHING ABOUT A FREE PRODUCT... BE HAPPY IT EXISTS

ok so two sentences, and i make no guarantees about any of the claims made in this post.

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.
Too-DAMN-Much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2006, 21:58   #35
JiveHamSlicer

I'm sorry you feel that way
Old 30th July 2006, 01:37   #36
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
it makes no difference, the fact remains, you are bitching about something that someone is doing FOR YOU with no compensation for themselves...

the phrase "don't look a gift horse in the mouth" comes to mind.

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.
Too-DAMN-Much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2006, 11:51   #37
NJK
The Frisian

@JiveHamSlicer

you only are barking up the wrong tree here
this is just bitching about things you want to see changed

if you really want to engage into this you take part in the winamp discussion

constructive critism is always welcome, bitching hardly ever gets you anything.
2 important links for you

http://forums.winamp.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=3

http://forums.winamp.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=8

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
Old 30th July 2006, 14:15   #38
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
Spaceplay, that was constructive criticsm.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2006, 13:19   #39
JiveHamSlicer

Hey, I just thought I'd point out specific points instead of JUST bitching

Too-DAMN-Much, I will shut my mouth and be a happy consumer, yes?

Thx for the response though guys, I didn't expect anyone to care. Seems like Too-DAMN-Much has had enough though, maybe he is on the team?
Old 31st July 2006, 13:39   #40
DrO

he's not on the team (you'll have to trust me on that, heh). certain aspects of the player have gone to pot (the whole push for online media is a waste of time in my opinion but if that's what the guys in suits, etc wanted to push for then that's how it has to go - at least it can be removed which is a plus i think).

unfortunately there's not too much that can be done from the end user side of things (or from the dev team when it's the powers that be tell them what to do for 'major parts' since they pay them) which can be frustrating but that's how it goes. the only real way is to stop using the player as a point but that then has other ramifications.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > The Bitchlist