Old 5th December 2006, 21:34   #1
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Road debris

The strangest shit can somehow fall off the backs of trailors and trucks on the roads sometimes...I've seen (And luckily, avoided) a variety of things ranging from lawn chairs to auto body panels and even a sofa...There was even a time my dad took me and my cousins to his mom's house so we could burn our Christmas tree, but the straps couldn't resist the wind's drag even at 55-65mph, and it was lifted right off the trailor and flew away onto the freeway behind us...

But on my way back from college today, there was this box in the road on one of these streets I take...It was a 45mph zone, and I saw people merging out of my lane for some odd reason, but I couldn't see it was a cardboard box they were merging over to avoid (Since the color seemed to blend with the road from a distance)...I would've merged, but I couldn't do it safely without cutting someone off or clipping bumpers with someone else...I threw the brakes as hard as I could, but I didn't have enough distance to come to a stop...I ran over the box doing about 20-30mph, and a bunch of leaves just bursted out like it had exploded...It was a friggin' box full of leaves...

I usually try my best not to run over shit if I think there's the possibility that it might hurt my car, though if I had known it was only a box full of leaves, I wouldn't have worried so much...I was hoping there wasn't anything inside it that would hurt my car, like pottery or whatever...A cardboard box full of leaves doesn't do much damage to a car, at least (But it was cool how the leaves came out when I ran it over )...At least there's nothing more that could worry me, since there was already a dent in my front bumper left by the previous owner, something that looks like it was done by a trailor hitch; What damage can cardboard and vegetation do compared to that?

...I can only imagine, though, what was going through the minds of the people in the Jaguar behind us when our Christmas tree went flying...He didn't even bother to avoid it; He just ran right over it like it was nothing...

What stuff have you seen dropped in the middle of the road?

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2006, 21:39   #2
mikm
Major Dude

I don't think I've seen anything intresting. All I remember seeing is the usual roadkill and assorted car parts.

powered by C₂H₅OH
mikm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2006, 21:48   #3
Mattress
Forum King

I was driving behind a van in the middle of a snow storm and it had a pair of mattresses on the roof. The top one blew off and landed in the road and then slid off into the ditch. The van didn't seem to notice. It also didn't look like they had even bothered to tie the things down...
Mattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2006, 22:14   #4
beanboy89
(Major Dude)
isn't very custom

Quote:
Originally posted by mikm
I don't think I've seen anything intresting. All I remember seeing is the usual roadkill and assorted car parts.
Same here. Aside from the assorted roadkill, litter, and occasional wheel covers, I've never seen anything really interesting in the center of the road. Everything interesting seems to be on the shoulder.
beanboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2006, 22:16   #5
CaboWaboAddict
Forum Sot
(Major Dude)

Speed limit 50, 2-lane blacktop. A refrigerator came off an on-coming pickup and skidded across the road in front of me. I missed it by about 10 feet.

Seems everyday there are ladders and shit in the roads here.

Idiot's Advocate
My site (under construction)
CaboWaboAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2006, 22:17   #6
NJK
The Frisian

a complete gearbox that dropped from under a truck

beer , lots of it

onions

just like the beer after a car crash.

Each Thursday a new show on Celtica Radio with Darkwave music.

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2006, 01:08   #7
rockouthippie
Banned

I was talking to a friend of mine the other day. I looked at his bike. It had this gigantic dent on the top of the fender. Yeah... hmmm... on top of the fender. How the hell did he do that?.

Bikers call truck retreads that fall off on the freeway a "road gator" around here. I've never hit one on a bike, but it's not too cool in a car.

Jim hit it going about 70, he saved it, and didn't wreck. I said "Did you shit your pants?." "Yup!. I'm even gonna admit it.". It got tangled up and locked the front wheel completely.

It musta been that "Bikers for Jesus" sticker that saved him
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2006, 01:56   #8
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Sorry to hear about your scare, MV, but glad it was just leaves. Coulda' been worse - coulda' been a box full of bricks.

1998, I-75 southbound between Atlanta and Macon, GA. In the heat of mid-summer. I was driving my 1995 BMW M3 down to visit my family in Macon. I was behind a tractor-trailer truck. One of his retreads came off (as they do on occasion on hot Georgia highways at over 65 mph) and smacked the front of my car. Hard. I was accelerating to pass the guy when the impact knocked the car out of gear. For a very brief moment my engine revved to around 9000 rpm. Blown engine. $7500.

Luckily, my insurance company was very gracious and paid 80% of the cost - more than they were really obligated to pay. It's the reason I've been their loyal customer ever since.
ScorLibran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2006, 03:04   #9
tuckerm
Forum Emo

Mattress and carpet.
tuckerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2006, 03:39   #10
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
In Merced you get just about everything. Roadkill, car parts, broken glass... and sometimes an occasional streetlight(after somebody knocks it down with their car).

There is no sig.
deeder7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2006, 04:05   #11
rockouthippie
Banned

We have mega-jail here in Hillsboro, so the roads are usually free of debris.
Old 6th December 2006, 05:16   #12
mikm
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by tuckerm
Mattress and carpet.
You saw Mattress on the highway ? I've never met any forum members irl.

powered by C₂H₅OH
mikm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2006, 05:30   #13
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
I had a deer land on my mom's hood when she was taking me to school (when I was a kid) - the car in front of her had hit it...

A few days ago it was incredibly windy and a huge garbage can on rollers (about 4'x3'x3' or 1.3m x 1m x 1m) was blown in front of a pickup truck coming towards me. The truck nailed it, splitting it open (luckily it was empty) and breaking the hinges on its fliptop lid. I missed it by a few feet.

When I was in undergrad in Youngstown, OH, it was incredibly rare to go down any street without at least one rusty fallen off muffler, tailgate or other large car part to avoid.

Last year, Renee hit a 5 gallon bucket with some paint in it that fell off the truck in front of her on the interstate. Her car was pretty badass looking that day (white car with a green pattern of 65 mph splatter of paint). Luckily it was latex paint and came off with the hose and the car was not damaged. Sometimes when we wash the car we still find a small spot we missed on the windshield seal or elsewhere on the car.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2006, 08:08   #14
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Quote:
Originally posted by deeder7001
...and sometimes an occasional streetlight(after somebody knocks it down with their car).
Wow. Streetlights must hang pretty low where you live.
ScorLibran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2006, 13:20   #15
tuckerm
Forum Emo

Quote:
Originally posted by mikm
You saw Mattress on the highway ? I've never met any forum members irl.
tuckerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2006, 13:26   #16
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Saw a body land in the road in front of me once, it had just been hit by a speeding police van on it's way to an incident, hit the poor bitch at one side of the road, threw her across the road and into the path of the oncoming traffic, landed one car in front of me.

Think she survived, although with many a broken bone and a huge compensation claim for her troubles.
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2006, 13:32   #17
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^That was you???
Actually, I was "Tossed" by a speeding beemer! I've never been quite the same!

psst. nice avatar
Widdykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2006, 13:39   #18
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Yeah, that was me, I remember thinking at the time as she came spinning over the road...'Fuck, I'm never gonna get home to see Star Trek at this rate....'
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2006, 13:43   #19
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh wait....
Widdykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2006, 14:06   #20
jheriko
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to jheriko
The best piece of road debris I have ever seen was a tire rolling down the road, because of slow traffic it caught up with us from somewhere, kept pace with us for about half a mile down the road (we were stopping, starting and generally going slow from traffic) before we reached the roundabout, at which point the tire decided to roll around the roundabout, and take the first turning off, before it rolled off of the road, tipped over and stopped.

Didn't see where it came from but it was quite funny to watch it go, especially as it followed the road so well, even going around the roundabout... crazy.

Also saw a deer get pwned by a 4x4 near my old uni once, it was substantially less funny.

-- Jheriko

'Everything around us can be represented and understood through numbers'
jheriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2006, 22:54   #21
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
i think jones wins with his dead body

BUT, i'm going to share my story anyway, imagine driving down the highway towards seaside doing about 70mph...
all went well for the first few hours, but of course that kind of thing never lasts, just as we're nearing the "home stretch" into seaside my brothers 7 and a half foot, long board surf board decides to go parasailing from it's little foot cord that somehow had attached itself to the car, it only stayed up in the air like a kite for about 30 secs before we stopped, and when we did, it IMMEDIATELY nose-dived towards all the cars behind us staring in awe at the impending doom, that very well could be coming their way in just a few instants, but thankfully everyone behind us stopped when they saw it go airborne and noone was hurt and my bro even got to go surfing later that day, thank god for fiberglass patch kits

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.
Too-DAMN-Much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2006, 14:05   #22
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Just yesterday, some goo gobbler dropped 4 HUGE bails of hay.

I've been known to leave a steamer in the middle of main street on bar nights.
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2006, 15:30   #23
ujay
Forum King

It's not all bad. I was traveling across the Scottish Highlands one time, and my mate, who was driving at the time, was rattling on about how he needed to get a new hat. I wasn't paying much attention and trying to get a few Zs after a night out on the whisky.
Five minutes later there was a screech of brakes, he disappeared out the door and climbed back into the cab with a brand new hat on his head

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2006, 11:04   #24
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Too-DAMN-Much
BUT, i'm going to share my story anyway, imagine driving down the highway towards seaside doing about 70mph...
I used to commute that road. The main hazard (besides it washing out all the time) was deer and elk. But the worst accident I got into with a deer was about 10 years ago, right here in town on Evergreen.

A buck came bouncing over the ditch and I hit him dead flat, no brakes at 50 mph. Lucky I was in a truck.

You wouldn't think hitting a deer would do that much damage, but it messed the truck up bad. Smashed everything up to and including the windshield.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 8th December 2006 at 11:27.
Old 8th December 2006, 22:31   #25
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
A lot of windshields on low cars will break but not smash in enough to hurt the driver in which case the deer goes over the car. That's what happened to the person in front of my mother in the scenerio mentioned in my last post in this thread.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions