Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Breaking News

Old 23rd August 2009, 23:15   #1
rockouthippie
Banned

Gibbs: Obama Willing To Be One-Term President To Get Health Care, 'Important Things'

President Obama is "quite comfortable" with being a one-term president if that's the price he has to pay to get "important things done," including health care reform, Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said today.

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/liv...hings-done.php

Hmmm... I think he's got that one term part right, I'm not so sure about the "important things done" part. If Obama gets "important things done", he'll probably get a second term. Let's face it. The Republican talent pool is pretty bleak.

We'd probably even settle for "not screwing it up as bad as Bush". The jury is out on that. I think the recent return of the Democrats to power was based on the fact that they got everyones panties in a bunch over George Bush; deserved or not. Since everyone now is really used to being angry and disillusioned, I think the hammer will fall hard on poor Barry if he doesn't pull his fat out of the fire pretty soon now.

Looking into the future, I see a tea party at Jimmy Carters house with Hillary, Pelosi and Michelle. The topic of conversation "What hit me?"

Three goals right now. Don't screw up Afghanistan. Get everyone health care. Don't break the back of the economy doing it. It's probably impossible, but it's what Obama promised to do. I doubt most of us are going to let him off the hook with anything less. Michael Moore probably wouldn't even let him slide.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 07:05   #2
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
Re: Gibbs: Obama Willing To Be One-Term President To Get Health Care, 'Important Things'

Quote:
Originally posted by rockouthippie
Don't break the back of the economy doing it.
Too late on that one. The economy has been screwed up for almost 2 years.

There is no sig.
deeder7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 12:00   #3
rockouthippie
Banned

The economy could be worse.

An example of what I was talking about today when Tavis Smiley on Meet the Press referred to Obama as the "Collaborator in Chief".

Liberals aren't even giving Obama any love.
Old 24th August 2009, 15:41   #4
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
and what is wrong with collaboration? Wasn't it the blind "leadership" by Bush (*cough* cheney)that got us into this mess?

Blindly cut taxes and reduce income, then increase spending with two wars that (to date) could have financed another 18-24 months of social security (for example) on their own? (Granted Afghanistan was justified, but why not focus more there and catch the fucker? And it has cost a third of the iraq conflict.)
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 21:00   #5
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by dlinkwit27
and what is wrong with collaboration? Wasn't it the blind "leadership" by Bush (*cough* cheney)that got us into this mess?
No it wasn't. Read. Don't chant "Obama, Obama!". I know you'd like to categorize bipartisan mistakes and malfeasance as "Bush's fault", but that doesn't make it true. It's not the "last 8 years". It's a lot longer.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 24th August 2009 at 21:22.
Old 28th August 2009, 11:23   #6
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
Quote:
Originally posted by rockouthippie
It's not the "last 8 years". It's a lot longer.
It was Clinton. Just kidding there.

I don't really see how it could be worse.

The country is in debt by far. Unemployment seems to be going up every day. Taxes and inflation are up. I don't have to watch tv or read a paper to know.

There is no sig.
deeder7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 13:44   #7
ertmann|CPH
Forum Viking
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by dlinkwit27
Granted Afghanistan was justified, but why not focus more there and catch the fucker?
Wouldn't change a thing - other than the sweet feeling of revenge that is. People who think catching Bin Laden would be some sort of miracle pill against radical Islam, should research the issue better. Conceiving a lasting peace agreement between Isreal and the Palestinian authority, brokered by the United States, and not perceived as unfair by Muslims, is the only thing that would even make a dent in the support of radical Islam - if it's possible, is an entirely different matter.

As for healthcare, I have a hard time understanding how the opponents have rather successfully argued that reform is economically irresponsible, as clearly status quo, is unviable in the long term. And where have the Christian values gone? when hard working families risk loosing their homes, and health insurance, if the family is hit by a serious illness. Just leaving them to rot in the street doesn't seem very Christian to me. But as an atheist - what do I know
ertmann|CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 06:10   #8
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by ertmann|CPH
(Christians) have rather successfully argued that reform is economically irresponsible
No, they've just rather successfully argued that atheistic liberals are financially irresponsible. And they've got a pretty damn strong argument.

Quote:
Originally posted by deeder7001
It was Clinton.
Clinton sure as hell didn't do it any good. I think we could go back to Gerald Ford for the last time a President wasn't an idiot. I think George H.W. Bush had a brain in his head, but he was buried under Reagan deficits.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 29th August 2009 at 06:34.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Breaking News