Old 23rd April 2002, 21:40   #1
KiwiFreak
Major Dude

Collab Chain Skin

Hi all...this is the thread to continue discussions on the Chain Skin that was started
here

If you think you can or think you can't...you're right.
KiwiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2002, 21:49   #2
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Didnt really need a new thread as yet but anyhoo....

Ok...i guess we need to work out what role each person is going take in this.

I'd say the best bet might be to randomly draw names to put them in order. Then work out an order of how the skin will be put together.

For example person 1 would do the main.bmp, person 2 would do cbuttons and so on...we need to work out an order for each component to be done so it doesnt get too confusing.

The other thing we need to work out is how single .bmp components like the playlist, eq and minibrowser will be done, as otherwise we'd have one person doing just mono/stereo and someone else doing the entire equaliser.

Any ideas/suggestions??
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2002, 22:06   #3
Jellby
Major Dude

The big bmps could be divided into components, for example, eqmain.bmp:
Background
Titlebar
Buttons
Sliders
Eq-vis

Say, for example, that I'm in charge of the buttons, I just draw them the appropriate size and make a little bmp/gif/png... If I don't want square buttons, I leave the fake-transparency areas bright green (for example) and there should be someone who takes all the components, replaces green with the background and constructs the eqmain.bmp (If I have the background at the time I make the buttons, I can replace it myself).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2002, 22:09   #4
dimichan
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to dimichan
hmm, offhand I'd say maybe split it into 4 (well 5 counting the AVS and mikro) sections and "teams", and break it down into sections from there, since the main and playlist have more subsections than the equalizer or minibrowser. Like say the main would have the cbuttons and shuf/rep buttons, the background, the titlebar (save me) Volume and balance, and pos bar, mono/stereo and pl/eq triggers as "sections", with more people on that section than say the equalizer, which only divides into maybe 4 feasible sections. Depending how many people join in would depend on if people would work on more than one section I suppose. Or is that too complicated? *scratches head and wonders if that made any sense at all...*
dimichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2002, 22:21   #5
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

[/thinks weve created the most complicated collaboration skin idea yet]

Jelby: doing the buttons like that would lead to problems with anti-aliasing the edges.

I think all the backgrounds would have to be done before any of the buttons were started...

So person 1 gets main.bmp then passes it to person 2, person 2 does eqmain.bmp (just the background) then passes both to person 3 who does pledit but doesnt do any buttons....untill all the backgrounds are done.

Then cbuttons, vol, bal, windowshade modes etc could be done....

Is this gonna be possible at all??
Old 23rd April 2002, 22:22   #6
caz
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to caz
Sounds like a cool idea im in. I dont mind which components I get

caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2002, 22:23   #7
Nini
skin domptrice
(Major Dudette)

Send a message via ICQ to Nini Send a message via AIM to Nini
sections are good...

So the whole thing would go like this if i understood that right:

There's a person who's doing the main BG, a person who's doing the buttons and a third person who is doing e.g. vol and bal.

So the first person will paint a cool bg, mail it to person #2, who does the buttons and the 3rd person gets everything and makes the bars..?

[edit]guess that's just what you posted, atmo [/edit]

The skin love webring
Nini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2002, 22:46   #8
dimichan
Major Dude

You know, as long as a base RGB or html color was decided for the general background theme, the components could actually be styled separately for the most part, maybe just say the main background posted to get a general idea, as long as they work together they don't have to be styled identically... though I suppose a common theme would be a good idea. (i.e. flat or 3dish); as each main section was finished it could just go to the next person in line to add their particular stuff. As long as a basic order to add things in is set up it shouldn't be a problem, add your part and pass it to the next in line ^_^... Main is the easist in that respect since everything's separate after the actual main.bmp. only thing I can see with that is if more than one person wants to put part of their component ON the main.bmp (like text to an LED) they'd have to speak up so there won't be 3 or 4 versions of that floating around... and now I'm rambling
Old 23rd April 2002, 23:05   #9
Kenny D.

Sounds complicated, but believe it will go smoothly if we take it step by step. I agree with Atmo, quote; So person 1 gets main.bmp then passes it to person 2, person 2 does eqmain.bmp (just the background) then passes both to person 3 who does pledit but doesnt do any buttons....untill all the backgrounds are done.

Then cbuttons, vol, bal, windowshade modes etc could be done...

Two things we may wish to implement, 1- We all come to a general concensus on starting theme or color and maybe style, 3D etc. 2- after everyone does their thing, maybe a final edit for things such as anti-aliasing, bugs, etc. But not changing any artwork.

After reading all the great ideas and input. I believe this thing might just work. The cooperation is amazing.

coolkenny - "You don`t waste time ; Time wastes you"

LEAPIN LIZARDS | PHASE - B |
Swampy | ULTRA
Kenny D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2002, 23:09   #10
Kenny D.

ESP? dimi posted while I was typing !
(insert eerie music here)

Swampy | ULTRA
Old 23rd April 2002, 23:21   #11
nøva
Major Dude

What if we make it an email... so the 'leader' starts, and attaches the zip to the email along with his name, and sends it to a skinner of his choice, whom he thinks would be best for that section. Then that person does his part, and attaches the updated zip to the person, adds his name, and forwards it to the next person of his choice. The rule is you cant forward it to someone on the list. The final person will have the honor of starting a thread and posting it along with all the names and components the person made...its just a weak idea, prob wont even work...
nøva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2002, 23:26   #12
Nini
skin domptrice
(Major Dudette)

an email list is not a bad idea, but i think it's better if we set up the the order of participants (& the pats everyone is doing) before we start..

The skin love webring
Old 23rd April 2002, 23:27   #13
nøva
Major Dude

I guess that be aight, but the email way, noone will expect when it will come...il go any way u guys like tho...
Old 23rd April 2002, 23:29   #14
sadorf

hmmm, i want in lol, anyone disagree if i do sumfin really small like the viscolor.txt? hehe
sadorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2002, 23:47   #15
KiwiFreak
Major Dude

I'll take the region.txt & if the skin turns out looking horrid I'll just make the whole thing transperent

Old 23rd April 2002, 23:48   #16
sadorf

HA! lmao
sadorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2002, 23:55   #17
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by KiwiFreak
I'll take the region.txt & if the skin turns out looking horrid I'll just make the whole thing transperent

LOL...ok

I'll make the readme.txt...
Old 23rd April 2002, 23:58   #18
nøva
Major Dude

And il take the most important part.......... il rename it to a .wsz
Old 24th April 2002, 00:13   #19
StillWater
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Atmo The Freak
[/thinks weve created the most complicated collaboration skin idea yet]

Jelby: doing the buttons like that would lead to problems with anti-aliasing the edges.

I think all the backgrounds would have to be done before any of the buttons were started...

So person 1 gets main.bmp then passes it to person 2, person 2 does eqmain.bmp (just the background) then passes both to person 3 who does pledit but doesnt do any buttons....untill all the backgrounds are done.

Then cbuttons, vol, bal, windowshade modes etc could be done....

Is this gonna be possible at all??
I say split the MB into (a)buttons and (b) the rest

And I think Main.bmp is a lot more than any other component. Maybe it could be split into (a) vis area (including viscolor.txt) and (b) the rest. Hmmm...don't know. what do you think?

Sow a thought, reap an action; sow an action, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny.

All my skins: @ winamp.com @ 1K1WS @ Deviantart.com

My latest Flash Project: BreathingEarth.net
StillWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2002, 00:14   #20
Kenny D.

LIST UPDATE

In reply to time-frame questions - We can wait until other contests are through. Doesn`t matter to me. I`m in no hurry.

Current entrants;

1. Kenny D.
2. Atmo
3. Jellby
4. dimichan
5. Kiwi Freak
6. dbleja
7.Ch33zels
8. Nova 3d
9. Nini
10. dam
11. Cazsius
12. sadorf420

Swampy | ULTRA
Old 24th April 2002, 01:32   #21
CrocodileDumdee

Wow..a lot happens when I don't stop by for a few days. Is it too late for me to be in? This sounds like fun
CrocodileDumdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2002, 01:47   #22
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

I dont think we'll start till after the collab skin/avatar contest is over croc.
Old 24th April 2002, 01:54   #23
dimichan
Major Dude

Don't see why not, in this case, the more the merrier!
1. Kenny D.
2. Atmo
3. Jellby
4. dimichan
5. Kiwi Freak
6. dbleja
7.Ch33zels
8. Nova 3d
9. Nini
10. dam
11. Cazsius
12. sadorf420
13. Crocodile Dumdee

We can keep a running tally!

Depending, I was thinking for the main someone may want to just tackle the vol/bal and maybe posbar, and buttons for another party, titlebar/ws mode for a third, and of course whoever makes the actual main. The moving parts and ws modes can be a bit painstaking depending what you want to do with them.

After everyone gets a chance to decide if they want in (a lot of responses quickly so far ) maybe poll for style and then for color and see what the concensus is.

For who does what, after it's all broken down, maybe have people speak for anything they specifically want to do or avoid since it's supposed to be fun, and the rest can be drawn from a hat or something; if there's a posted list it makes it easy to keep track of who you're supposed to send on to and it won't be unexpected.

Can't think of anything else right now!
Old 24th April 2002, 02:01   #24
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by dimichan After everyone gets a chance to decide if they want in (a lot of responses quickly so far ) maybe poll for style and then for color and see what the concensus is.
Sounds like a great idea
Old 24th April 2002, 02:16   #25
StillWater
Forum King

I've seen another large skin-love collaboration here:

http://www.1001winampskins.com/skin_...l?skin_id=1527

I really liked the idea of it having an Easter theme. It was like an Easter present from the skin-love forum to the rest of the world.

Perhaps some of the themes we will poll for can be topical like the Easter one. Some quick ideas:

World Cup 2002
Peace! (in light of America's recent war etc.)

Umm, I'm in a hurry , and that's all I can think of right now.

Sow a thought, reap an action; sow an action, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny.

Old 24th April 2002, 02:21   #26
StillWater
Forum King

Or how about a true Skin-Love Forum skin!

It would be largely composed of elements from the forums (smilies etc.) and all of our avatars. (After the avatar contest, there should be a nice influx of cool new avatars.

It would be like a documentation of our forum, in skin form. People are making yearbooks and surveys, etc. What better way to make a snapshot of the skin-love forum than with a skin?

Old 24th April 2002, 04:26   #27
DanG

I'm in, but only if I get to do the volume.bmp!

I suggest that we make two skins. One in which we agree on a style and pass it around, and a second one with no prearranged style - each component would be made in secrecy and compiled only when everyone is finished. It would be great for a laugh.
DanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2002, 04:35   #28
_Blackdog_
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to _Blackdog_
Quote:
Originally posted by dbleja
Or how about a true Skin-Love Forum skin!

It would be largely composed of elements from the forums (smilies etc.) and all of our avatars. (After the avatar contest, there should be a nice influx of cool new avatars.

It would be like a documentation of our forum, in skin form. People are making yearbooks and surveys, etc. What better way to make a snapshot of the skin-love forum than with a skin?
actually, someone has already done something like that. i believe it was flattmatt.
_Blackdog_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2002, 04:43   #29
KiwiFreak
Major Dude

Yeah...I saw it on 1001winamp skins the other day...This is the link.

Pretty cool

Old 24th April 2002, 04:50   #30
PeaceMaker
Major Dude

Send a message via Yahoo to PeaceMaker
here's my suggestion to the collab [although im not participating]. everyone isnt restricted to any part of the project at all, they just do what they like and the others have to work around that or add onto that.

lets say someone has finished their part of the volume.bmp, why should it be finsihed at that?? maybe someone else would like to add their own little bit to it, usually an improvement, but theres always a chance of disapprovment

this may be unfair to the person who thinks this might ruin their work [eg on the volume] but it gives each other the chance to add on to previously touched components without having to worry about who does what etc..

thats the easiest suggestion, and the way i would do it.
PeaceMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2002, 08:12   #31
Nini
skin domptrice
(Major Dudette)

...but not that everyone feels obliged to change what the previous ppl have done

We can decide how we will divide the parts when all ppl are in

PS Do we really need a theme? I thought the original idea was to do something unexpected

The skin love webring
Old 24th April 2002, 08:37   #32
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by dbleja
I've seen another large skin-love collaboration here:

http://www.1001winampskins.com/skin_...l?skin_id=1527

I really liked the idea of it having an Easter theme. It was like an Easter present from the skin-love forum to the rest of the world.

That's exactly what it was, a kind of follow on from Skin Lovin Xmas, ahhhhhh those were the days, where have most of those skinners gone to

By the way, what ever happend to the following....

Skin Lovin Xmas II
Breast Cancer skin collab

Never heard if they were finished, or did everyone just get bored and give up?
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2002, 08:40   #33
dam
Forum King

Send a message via Yahoo to dam
Quote:
Originally posted by Nini
PS Do we really need a theme? I thought the original idea was to do something unexpected
IMHO the unexpected thing sounds better.It might result a rather weird skin though.
dam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2002, 09:22   #34
KiwiFreak
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Jones

By the way, what ever happend to the following....

Skin Lovin Xmas II
Breast Cancer skin collab
That's a bloody good point...I did the MB.bmp for the breast cancer collab then I disappeared off the forums for a little while, I had just assumed that it had been finished and published.

Old 24th April 2002, 09:44   #35
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by dam

IMHO the unexpected thing sounds better.It might result a rather weird skin though.
I agree...i tried putting bits of my skins together and the result was bizzare...but kinda cool at the same time...
Old 24th April 2002, 09:52   #36
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

It reminds me of the "frankenstien skin collab" idea that was floating around about a year ago.

The idea was, get one person to co-ordinate it, everyone else sent their bits into that one person, that way no one person could be influenced by what anyone else had done before them, thus leading to a totaly random, ugly ass skin

Think we never progressed it in favour of the easter collab thing instead.

By the way, I still hold the keys for the skin lovers account if you ever need any collaboration skins publishing, in there is the easter skin, the xmas skin, the easter preset pack, the easter speaker plug in, all the skin lovin mikroamp skin packs, some other stuff I can't remember. Be glad to upload onto the generic account if it's needed.
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2002, 10:00   #37
Kenny D.

I think of it as a "time capsule" representing the Skinlove 2002 skinners and dedicated to the forums at large.

Swampy | ULTRA
Old 24th April 2002, 10:03   #38
simon snowflake
Skin Wizard
(Forum King)

Location: Gent, Belgium. does anybody know where the toilets are?
Send a message via ICQ to simon snowflake
How do you guy's dare to forget me?

don't be a thief of your own life.... : DEXYD - Digitally EXpressing Your Dreams

Join the Winamp Enthusiasts Forum - Join the Winamp Skin Love facebook group:
simon snowflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2002, 10:08   #39
Kenny D.

We didn`t forget you. Just failed to remember you ! hehe

Swampy | ULTRA
Old 24th April 2002, 10:21   #40
simon snowflake
Skin Wizard
(Forum King)

Location: Gent, Belgium. does anybody know where the toilets are?
Send a message via ICQ to simon snowflake
ahh, I'm just a moment a way because of a funeral, and allready people think it's me who gets burried.

don't be a thief of your own life.... : DEXYD - Digitally EXpressing Your Dreams

Join the Winamp Enthusiasts Forum - Join the Winamp Skin Love facebook group:
simon snowflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Classic Skins