Old 15th April 2011, 10:08   #1
djdust

"Illegal Operation" error on Win 7

Hi all

Just got a new PC and am using Windows 7 for the very first time. Installed Winamp and the MilkDrop plugin (as I love it) but it won't work. When I try to start it up, it says...

Plug-in executed illegal operation. Restart of Winamp is recommended (2).

Am stumped as to what's wrong. Can anyone help?

cheers
djdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2011, 07:39   #2
LlamaLlamaLamp

This probably won't help your problem but it's worth a shot: Try running winamp as administrator by right clicking the icon and choosing Run as Administrator from the menu.

I always run it as Administrator as there are certain things that didn't work for me when I didn't. If I recall correctly, one of the problems was editing preset names within MilkDrop...I think.
LlamaLlamaLamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2011, 12:31   #3
djdust

Didn't work. Same error.
djdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 13:39   #4
veloopity

Send a message via Yahoo to veloopity
disappointed - no Milkdrop!

I have the same "illegal" error message on my brand new Windows 7 Professional. Is there nothing I can do? I use the latest Winamp Lite. Video card is NVIDIA GeForce GT 520, with two BenQ G2420HDB monitors (that work as one virtual horizontal monitor). When I start Milkdrop, the left monitor shows a fullscreen blank Milkdrop screen, or an 'illegal' error, depending on the fullscreen setting. A strange thing is that although the configure screen finds the correct video card, the fullscreen-display mode is shown as "XRGB-8888 1024x768" and this setting comes back even when I change it to 1920x1080.

-Michael
veloopity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2014, 06:32   #5
MrTroy68

how to fix the milkdrop 1 ''illegal operation" error

from what i have tried [W7 32bit/64bit], it appears that Milkdrop 1 versions of the plugin do NOT work in Winamp 5+ versions...i have seen a post to make Milkdrop 1 work in Winamp 3 [do a forum search to find it].
therefore i uninstalled all of Winamp 5+ ....installed Winamp 2.70 from OldVersion.com, then installed Milkdrop 1.04 and BOOM the Milkdrop 1 works again after many many attempts to make it work in the newer Winamp 5+.
MrTroy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2014, 08:15   #6
Aminifu
Forum King

It's not surprising that old stuff works with old stuff. Good for you if that rocks your boat. I prefer to not live in the past and I'm quite happy with the current versions of Winamp and Milkdrop. The forthcoming Radionomy versions of Winamp promise to be even better.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2014, 11:25   #7
DrO

seriously, downgrading all the way back to v2.70 for an unsupported version of Milkdrop?

and for the record, Milkdrop 1.04 was in Winamp 5.x until v5.5 when it was replaced with the updated Milkdrop v2.x release. so there is no reason to be using old Winamp and Milkdrop releases when most of the stability issues were resolved with them in all of the newer versions released.

but seriously, v2.70 *shudders*
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2014, 07:32   #8
geordietx

I'm just putting the solution to this problem with Milkdrop One and Windows 7 or 8 and the illegal operation in case somebody finds this thread looking for a fix. This is the DEP (Data Execution Prevention) not allowing this to run in whatever memory space it occupies. I just turned it off (the DEP) and I never looked back. You have to do it with BCDEDIT and set nx AlwaysOff (google it for the exact syntax).
geordietx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2014, 12:34   #9
DrO

that is seriously a bad thing to do. the issue was fixed as part of Milkdrop 2 and there's no reason to keep using Milkdrop 1 (since it happily loads old and new presets) or doing some of the insane things people are doing to their systems to allow it to run.
Old 26th October 2014, 14:35   #10
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordietx View Post
I'm just putting the solution to this problem with Milkdrop One and Windows 7 or 8 ...
What you do with your computer is your choice and if it only affected you I won't care. However, to suggest that others totally disable DEP (and thus make it easier for successful virus and malware attacks and the possibility of having their computers become part of a botnet) borders on criminal behavior, imo! If you must, you could just disable DEP on an app by app basis (only until you get updated or alternate software), google for instructions on how to do that.

It's people like you that contribute to making the internet dangerous for the rest of us to use and force us (and OS vendors) to use more and more restrictive and burdensome security measures.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2015, 02:54   #11
ClintJCL2

Send a message via ICQ to ClintJCL2 Send a message via AIM to ClintJCL2 Send a message via Yahoo to ClintJCL2
Except that you can't. Windows 7 won't let you add winamp.exe to the DEP exception list. So the previous comment is wrong. For me, at least.

Brand new system.

-Clint
AMD Athlon 900mHz, 256M RAM, 280GB, Win2K, SB Live Platinum 5.1, ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 32M DDR.
ClintJCL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2015, 20:32   #12
DrO

there is no reason to make a dep exclusion if using a current milkdrop release and Win7 should allow you to add Winamp if absolutely needed. but if you're trying to use milkdrop 1.x (as is the only possible reason to even attempt such a thing) then you're on your own as support for that was dropped ~8 years ago.

and there is no need to bump multiple threads (including very old ones) with basically the same message being re-posted) for the same issue.
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop > MilkDrop Troubleshooting Forum