Old 3rd May 2004, 07:13   #1
shaneh
Major Dude

Export/Import ratings data to id3v2

Heres a quick utility which exports and imports ratings data from the POPM frame of an ID3v2 tag. Great for moving mp3s around the place without losing rating information. It is also compatible with Mexp's rating system, so you can effectively import and export to that. It will also eventually export/import playcount data too, it is quite easy to add.

Its a little rough around the edges but seems to work ok so far. It of course only works with mp3s at the moment.

It will also make winamp treat all files which were exported as being 'new items', as they have a new file date. This should be easy to fix, but at the moment that is the way it behaves.

I am not sure how well it works with regards to files with and without id3v2 tags, different versions etc. It uses the id3lib which doesnt seem to have much error checking with regards to correctly formatted mp3s or other media.

Eventually I will make it a lot faster using multithreading, and it will have some neat 'sync' options to avoid writing tags that are already up to date. Plus it will eventually automatically update new ratings for mp3s rated using toaster and the like.

I wouldnt expect this to work too well with win95/98/ME or other excuses for an OS, but feel free to try.

!!!WARNING!!!

As it re-writes mp3s with new header info, you should be careful when using this. Don't say you werent warned, I dont want to hear about your lost mp3 collections :P

!!!WARNING!!!
Attached Files
File Type: zip ml_id3rate.zip (97.7 KB, 4814 views)
shaneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2004, 07:34   #2
shaneh
Major Dude

Oh, and it will only write or import rating data if it is bigger than '0'. So effectively you cant export a zero rating. If you want to remove the rating from a file, use mexp or something until I make some more updates.
Old 29th June 2004, 18:54   #3
markspiller

Just tried this out, but when I select "Send To:Export Ratings to ID3", it pops up a small dialog with an empty bar and two buttons (cancel and OK), and doesn't do anything. I tried clicking OK after a while, removing the rating from the file, and then importing, but nothing happens. Any tips, or could it be there is a newer version? (This is on XP)

Thanks! (also for the MusicBrainz link in another post, it's great!)
markspiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2004, 02:17   #4
shaneh
Major Dude

Combined with id3com and my scripting/com plugin, the following can be used to export/import ratings and playcounts to/from id3 tags.

-----sendto_id3 import.vbs------

Dim x, id3co

set id3co = CreateObject("ID3Com.ID3ComTag")
x = GetSendToItems
if ubound(x,1) > 0 Then

for each track in x
id3co.link track.filename

'Substitute with your e-mail address or whatever was used to export it
track.rating = id3co.Popularity("") / 51
track.playcount = id3co.Playcount("")
id3co.clear
next

end if
quit

-----sendto_id3 Export.vbs-------

Dim x, id3co

set id3co = CreateObject("ID3Com.ID3ComTag")
x = GetSendToItems
if ubound(x,1) > 0 Then

for each track in x
id3co.link track.filename
if id3co.HasV2Tag then
id3co.Popularity("") = track.rating * 51
id3co.Playcount("") = track.playcount
id3co.SaveV2Tag
end if
id3co.Clear
next

end if
quit

----

warning: if you use the export tool on a file which isnt an mp3, it could possibly corrupt the file. That is why it checks that the v2 tag exists first. So if the v2 tag does not exist, the rating and playcount will not get exported. Feel free to modify this behaviour, but be careful.

Last edited by shaneh; 1st October 2004 at 03:32.
Old 7th December 2004, 10:49   #5
psyker7

any updates at all? its been 2 months, just wondering.

Also i am gunna b an idiot and ask what is id3com?

thx.
psyker7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2004, 11:01   #6
shaneh
Major Dude

id3com is a component based on id3lib, which is an ID3 tag library, used in programming. Basically its just a .DLL.

Components such as this allow them to be used in a way as used in the code above. Just create an instance of the object, ie, CreateObject("ID3Com.ID3ComTag"), then use it however you like.

In this case, I have used it from a script written for my plugin, "ActiveWinamp", in order to read and write ID3 tags. This allows more flexibility in how you want to do the exporting/importing, without me having to write a whole other plugin with a million options and support for different tags etc.

id3com is kinda hard to locate (a recent, correct version at least), because its been discontinued somewhat. I ended up just grabbing the source and compiling my own copy. Once you have it, you have to register it with regsrv32.

Someone could package this with ActiveWinamp, id3com, scripts and installation stuff, but that hasnt been done. So you will have to do it manually until it is
Old 7th December 2004, 11:29   #7
psyker7

lovely, lol, think i got a copy, now what is regsrv32? tried start>run> but not there :P

This whole thing is very complicated eh.... step by step instructions for the total programming idiots would b good

or of course, if u get them all in one package...

help appreciated :P
Old 7th December 2004, 11:47   #8
shaneh
Major Dude

That should have read, regsvr32.
just run:

regsvr32 id3com.dll

from the location you want to keep id3com.dll. You cant move it after youve registered it, without having to re-register it, so pick a spot like the winamp directory or something.

I will prob distribute id3com as part of ActiveWinamp in the future, as it has some scripts which depend on it anyway.

If it doesnt work, you may have the wrong id3com.dll, there are a few different versions around, just try with different ones.
Old 8th December 2004, 10:55   #9
psyker7

any chance of a link for id3com?

the three versions ive found are all not working, i get the msg:

Quote:
Line 4
ActiveX Component cant create object: 'ID3Com.ID3ComTag'
Old 24th March 2005, 22:45   #10
shaneh
Major Dude

Does anyone feel like writing an ActiveWinamp script that exports and imports ML data to an .xml file? Similar to how the itunes database exporter works, but Im thinking of doing it on a per directory basis, whree the filenames are relative. This would allow you to move the files around after youve exported the data.

I think this would be handy as a 'send to' script for my new ml_tree plugin.
Old 9th June 2005, 19:36   #11
a06lp

Send a message via AIM to a06lp
i am trying to export my winamp ratings to be permanent (in the ID3 tag).

I downloaded the dll in this post, and put it into winamp plugins, but when i try to use it by right-clicking an item in the ML, i get the same "Box w/ 2 buttons" described above.

could you give more of a step-by-step guide to export these ratings to the ID3 tag?

thanks!!
a06lp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2006, 06:04   #12
insane2986

Is anyone able to get this to work with 5.24?
insane2986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2006, 17:58   #13
sheygetz

Import/ export ratings via playlist

There are several topics here discussing how to make ratings more accessible/ save them in the files as tags - solutions offered so far have been either complicated (i.e. not foolproof) and/ or not exactly fail safe.

There are several tags available in many tagging programs which hardly anybody ever uses (url, composer, copyright, subtitle, etc.) and which one could transfer ratings to. IF only Winamp did support those, which it doesn't. OTOH taggers cannot manage Winamp ratings, as they don't "see" them, being stuck away in the proprietary music library. IMHO the only way to get around this Catch 22 situation is to save all, say, 3* rated songs in Winamp to a playlist, then have a tagger import the playlist, i.e. the files contained. You could then simply write an appropriate value, e.g. "3 star", to a tag field of your choice.

Now what was missing here was a tagger able to import Winamp playlist, not only write them (they all can do
that!). And find it I did: MP3Tag indeed does import playlist, i.e. you can tag across a wild array of directories all the files you put into a playlist - say, all Winamp 3* rated titles. Also the program allows tagging for almost any field in the specs, among others the "encoded by" field, which incidentally is also read by Winamp and can be employed to build ML views.

So, all Winamp 3* rated titles go into 3star.m3u, this is then opened in Mp3Tag. All files are tagged "3 star" in the "encoded by" field. Now, if ever your Winamp ML gets lost or blown to pieces, you can restore the ratings from that field. Or better still, do henceforth not use the proprietary rating, but enter your ***s in that "encoded by" field in Winamp via the ALT+3 box.

Sheygetz
sheygetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2006, 15:42   #14
sheygetz

As I cannot edit the preceding, I'll have to add another one.

I was mistaken in saying:
"among others the "encoded by" field, which incidentally is also read by Winamp and can be employed to build ML views."
While that field shows up on the ALT+3 file info box, it cannot be used to create Library views.
- WA's use of tags is pretty inconsistent, not only here -
Tag fields which you might not otherwise employ and which can be changed individually by ALT+3'ing a file
and which can be used to retrieve files via ML views are Discnumber and Composer. Copyright and Publisher would be very useful for this purpose - to tag ratings - but unfortunately are either on the file info box or ML queries only.

Sheygetz
sheygetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2007, 02:29   #15
BadCash

Solution?

For those of you looking for an easy way to export/import Rating and Playcount to/from ID3 tag, I have made two scripts for use with ActiveWinamp that do just that. The scripts use Alfafish's EzyID3 ActiveX-component to handle the ID3 read/write. Information is stored in ID3 v1 Comment field, which means that any information in that field will be overwritten.

If you want to try it out, you can find a ZIP-file containing everything you need, except ActiveWinamp, at fjorton.net/fileserver/RatingAndPlaycount_ID3Backup.zip (posting it as a link didn't seem to work).
BadCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2007, 16:41   #16
gonemad

i would think writing to an ogg tag would be pretty easy.. u could just make a playcount and rating tag
gonemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2007, 18:17   #17
JamesGT

I found a way that is very secure but a bit slow. I still prefer that to messing up my files, corrupting them or risking messing my ML. So here it is:

(Taking into account that all your files are already rated using the Winamp rating system)
- Go in the Audio view of Local Media, and sort all your songs by Rating (or which ever view, as long as the files are sorted by rating).
- Select all (or a lot, depending on how long your are willing to torture your finger in one sitting) the files that have the same rating, let's say ***** (5 Stars).
- Right click, View File Info.
- In the Comment field, write down '5 Stars', select it, Ctrl+C (copy), then click enter.
- The next window for the next file will appear, you simply have to click on the comment field again, press Ctrl+V, then enter, then start over and over until all your files are done. Do the same for the other ratings.

I did it only for the ID3 tag v.1, and later on used ID3 Tag-it (freeware) to transfer them to the v2.4 tag.

Later on, you can move you files around, have your library deleted, it doesn't matter, you can tell winamp to sort all the files that have '5 stars' as the comment, and then rate them all in one click, or simply use the smart view to rate them using the comment only.

Of course this method takes a while since you have three clicks/keys to press for each file, so it takes about one second per file, but it's better than nothing. And it's easy.

And you can always use another field in the tag, but the since the comments are generally absolutely useless, I thought I'd use that.

EDIT: Note that if, when you right click, you select 'Edit Selected Item' (basically, mass editing) it WILL change the comment field to whatever you want, but it will also screw up the tags (v1 and v2) in the process. I tried, it basically detroyed the v.2 tag, and removed the genre from the v.1 tag. I don't know why it does that, but it does. So yeah, you have to edit them one by one.
JamesGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2007, 03:55   #18
gonemad

having to select every song isnt very reasonable for large libraries
gonemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2007, 04:16   #19
tstevens

Re: Solution?

So I tried this out, and partially, it worked. The load script seems to work fine; but the save script always saves r=0;pc=0; to the comment field, regardless of the rating/PC.

If I manually change, say, r=3, and then use the load script, it does pull in the new value (3), but the saving doesn't seem to work.

Any thoughts/clues/suggestions? Thanks,

Tim

Quote:
Originally posted by BadCash
For those of you looking for an easy way to export/import Rating and Playcount to/from ID3 tag, I have made two scripts for use with ActiveWinamp that do just that. The scripts use Alfafish's EzyID3 ActiveX-component to handle the ID3 read/write. Information is stored in ID3 v1 Comment field, which means that any information in that field will be overwritten.

If you want to try it out, you can find a ZIP-file containing everything you need, except ActiveWinamp, at fjorton.net/fileserver/RatingAndPlaycount_ID3Backup.zip (posting it as a link didn't seem to work).
tstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 23:40   #20
johnnyz86

any links to a working id3com or an easier way to do this? or at least a way to save ratings when you move directories?
johnnyz86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2008, 05:36   #21
benexclaimed

I'd also love this functionality. I'm a longtime Foobar user switching back to Winamp. If there's a way to import ratings (even if I have to use Winamp's rating system going forward after the conversion) that would be great.

I see by viewing other threads that this is a conversation that's been going on for years and years and with no real solution. I know it seems silly to those of you who don't use it (and, as I said, I'd be more than happy to switch to Winamp's way of doing things if I was able to import my current ratings) but it'd make the switch a lot easier for some of us.
benexclaimed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 00:10   #22
daxliniere

Hey guys,
About a 6 months ago, I used this plugin on my 9000+ MP3 library.

I discovered that it doesn't support special characters, example: á é è

It wreaked havoc on the latin part of my collection!

Next week, I will start to manually fix it all.
Oh well!
daxliniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 01:42   #23
wanted.alive

Hey people.. did anyone find a solution to this problem??? I have a few discographies that I really want to rate all musics, it's about 5000 songs... i started to do this, but my PC crashes and I lost all my work... even Windows Media Player stores the rating in ID3 tags.

somebody has to write a plugin to do that... it's simple, just read de 5stars (*****) column from the ID3 field... this really sounds simple..

thnx
wanted.alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 18:42   #24
wanted.alive

hey shaneh... it´s been a long time since your post about this plugin

do you have any updates to that??? i´m testing with winamp 5.56, because i have a lot of music rated on Windows Media Player..
it seems to work fine, but there´s one problem:

when I import the ratings from id3 tag file, the 5 stars rating works well, but 4,3,2 and 1 starts always decreases on 1... so it´s importing like this:

5 stars = 5 stars
4 stars = 3 stars
3 stars = 2 stars
2 stars = 1 stars
1 star = no stars

sorry bothering, but thankx...
wanted.alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2009, 06:09   #25
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
is anyone using any of this stuff?

whats activewinamp?

i want the ratings tag, but why do headers need rewritten?

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2011, 16:46   #26
stopasking
Banned

Is there really no plugin that lets you export the ratings into the file? Why the hell doesn't winamp do that on it's own already?
Why can't there simply be a setting to add the stars to the comment and load them upon adding to the ML. This unflexibility of the ML is it's biggest problem, it's so nice and well made but that part just fails.
It could just keep track of tracks hash and upon losing it keep it in a seperate list for lost tracks and look there upon adding new tracks if an old one may have surfaced again.
Guess I have to learn to make plugins myself to get that, I'm already wanting this for years and just barely touched my mp3 folder so I wouldn't wreck my ratings.
stopasking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2011, 17:03   #27
DrO

is good to know that you've not been bothering to look at the Winamp changelogs as it has a native option for enabling the writing of ratings into a number of file tags (so it's not just ID3v2.x specific) via preferences -> media library -> advanced library preferences -> check 'Save ratings to file for compatible formats (default: off)' and then you will need to re-rate any files which are only rated in Winamp's library so the value will be saved to the tags.

also, what's with the decidedly spam-like link in your signature?

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2011, 21:03   #28
Shanester

Ratings

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
then you will need to re-rate any files which are only rated in Winamp's library so the value will be saved to the tags.
Thanks for mentioning this feature.

What do you mean when you say "files which are only rated in Winamp's library"?

I wasn't even aware of this feature, so I just checked it, and it's turned off (not checked). If I enable it, will it write the ratings from the library to the mp3s?

Thanks,
Shane.

Winamp 5.666 build 3516 (x86)
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Shanester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2011, 21:28   #29
MrSinatra
Forum King

ratings can exist in two places:

in the files tag.

in the winamp DB, (the ML).

if your winamp was NOT writing to tags before, and it is now, then all your ratings are ONLY in the winamp DB. so all you need to do is sort all your files by the ratings column, and "re-rate" them, then the values are actually written to the tag,

--
Old 2nd October 2011, 08:13   #30
Shanester

Ratings

I did what you said. I now see a "RATING WINAMP" tag in the mp3 headers now.

Thanks,
Shane.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Old 3rd October 2011, 02:23   #31
MrSinatra
Forum King

technically speaking, the ratings are in the tags, not the mp3 headers. but the main thing is to just turn it on in prefs and make sure whats in the ML db is written to the tags.

--
Old 3rd October 2011, 02:29   #32
Shanester

Tags

Yes, you're right.

What I was trying to say was that ID3v2 tags are at the beginning (header) of the file, as opposed to ID3v1 tags, which are at the end (footer).

But I guess my terminology was misleading.

Shane.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Old 3rd October 2011, 08:48   #33
MrSinatra
Forum King

np. also, i don't think ratings are in id3v1 tags at all, only id3v2, so thats all i use with mp3.

--
Old 3rd October 2011, 08:54   #34
DrO

ratings cannot be saved in id3v1.x tags as there is support for such a field - it could be hacked into the comments field but that'd be messy / lead to more issues.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2014, 15:12   #35
Larvebaveuse

Hello, I do not have to if my problem is one of the comments given more in the forum, but here it is: I rip my CD to wav with Audacity.. I tag along with one of the only software that allows me to put the tag on wav., that is to say Tag & Rename. Or winamp does not play Tag & Rename or artist, duration and title, while the rest simply disappeared. How do I find all my tag?
Larvebaveuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2014, 17:53   #36
MrSinatra
Forum King

contrary to popular belief, wavs do support a tag, but its a very limited tag and most everything doesn't even read it. in addition, hacking id3 type tags into wav is indeed a hack, and winamp won't support that either.

use ALAC. u can compress the audio in a lossless manner, tag it properly, and winamp/apple will use it.

--
Old 29th March 2014, 14:16   #37
Larvebaveuse

Thank you, for your reply. You told me that this is the hacker. I'm sorry, I do not know. Apple gives me all the same rip my CDs .wav format with tags without lyrics. But then there are hacker?
Larvebaveuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2014, 03:50   #38
MrSinatra
Forum King

I don't understand you.

what I am saying is wav files are not tagged easily and most apps don't use wav tags, be they hacked or not.

so use a format like ALAC instead, as it is lossless and can be properly tagged.

--
Old 21st May 2014, 03:06   #39
chuckjmoore1991

I don't know about any API Google Play Music would provide for developers. It would be nice to sign in Winamp with your Google Account and play songs in your library from Winamp instead of having to opening a tab in Google Chrome. You could also access your rating from any computer inside your Google Play library, making it unnecessary to have to export your ratings to your ID3tags. Almost everyone is switching to using the Cloud for storage and don't feel the need to use wires anymore.
chuckjmoore1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2014, 04:38   #40
MrSinatra
Forum King

why would I pay for cloud storage when local storage is free? my collection is too big for the cloud, and I can attach local storage to my router and make it cloud accessible.

--
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Developer Center > Winamp Development