Old 25th January 2014, 08:49   #1
nagan

Playlist location for an older version Winamp

Friends, Greetings and this is my first post here. Call me sentimental I have been using Winamp 2.76 since my Win98 days across various systems and OS without any issues. I am stuck at Win 7 now.I had also made a search query prior to posting here.

1. What is the extension and the location of the default Winamp playlist editor
(in my case). Meanwhile Winamp 2.76 plays from C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp\winamp.exe.

2.Where does the options get saved?

3.When I switch amongst users , the options change , and the options remain faithful only for the admin and not for other users.

4. In case of any hangups or crash , the next start of Winamp does not sport any songs in the playlist editor and I have to add it afresh.

Sorry , if this was not the correct place to post , and request the moderator to move it to the correct forum.

Thanks.
nagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2014, 14:00   #2
ujay
Forum King

Hi nagan,

1) the extensions are .m3u and .m3u8(unicode version). Both will be automatically saved when winamp is closed.

2) The playlist files are now saved to the individual C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Roaming\Winamp folders (have been for years now), this allows each user to have their own settings.

3) As you have things set up with the older version all settings are saved to Winamp's main folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp\winamp.exe and there is no facility to save individual user's preferences.

4) this will happen regardless of version, the playlists are only saved to disk when Winamp closes, any crash or hang will prevent this happening.

[edit] You really should update to the latest version. a huge amount of effort has gone into fixing problems and extending the feature set. Shame to see all that work go to waste
Remember that you only need to install the components you want, personally, I only have a use for about 20% of what's available.
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2014, 14:44   #3
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Installing the latest Winamp will also give you better handling of the way the playlists are saved. I don't think they suffer from being lost from a crash now. (Though my Winamp ain't crashed in ages so it can be hard to tell)

If you are hauling an old Winamp around, check your plugins. Some of these may be out of date and causing your crashes. If you can weed out old plugins you are not using, this will help stability.

And most important for you - add DrO's Undo plugin. http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=226331

This plugin will help get back missing playlists when they are accidentally reset. A whole folder of backups is kept in the Winamp settings folder.
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 07:58   #4
nagan

Thanks friends for your advice. I will soon upgrade to the latest.. to be up to date..
Old 27th January 2014, 16:56   #5
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

Older versions of Winamp save the preferences into c:\program files\winamp
I changed it in v5.1 or v5.2 to save in %userdata% instead.

On Windows Vista and up, user accounts cannot write into the program files directory. This is why you are seeing your preferences being saved when running as administrator, but not when running as another user.

But this has been fixed for almost 10 years now It's time to upgrade!
Benski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2014, 05:40   #6
MarkRH

There are some older plugins that still want to save into C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp. I ran into that problem. I had to grant full permission to the User Group for the Winamp directory so they could save their stuff (I run with UAC enabled in Win 7 Pro).
MarkRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2014, 20:58   #7
ujay
Forum King

Yeah Mark ... one of the extensions I miss the most is the original Lyric3 reader/editor, which was great, but seems to be abandoned now. That only fails because it looks for the playlists in the wrong place.
You can play around with 'paths.ini' but that often solves one problem and creates a new one somewhere else.
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 08:31   #8
nagan

I had downloaded this version of Winamp 5.6.6.3516 and tried to install. Afer installation it does not bring the GUI. I am stuck after the skin preference..
Old 29th January 2014, 09:17   #9
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi nagan,

If you installed v5.6.6.3516 on top of v2.76 that is probably too large a step for an in-place upgrade. I suggest you delete all the Winamp files and folders and re-install v5.6.6.3516.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion