Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Closed Thread
Old 5th May 2007, 18:57   #81
MarcLister

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
Winamp 5.34a Security Patch
http://download.nullsoft.com/winamp/.../wa5update.exe

Includes a patched version of in_mp4.dll (v1.22)
which fixes the MP4 file parsing buffer overflow vulnerability issue.

The first post in this thread has also been updated accordingly.

Note, if you didn't install support for MP4/M4A in the first place (Winamp\Plugins\in_mp4.dll), then you don't need the patch.
Will there be a release of an updated Winamp 5.34 Pro installer to Winamp 5.34a Pro? It seems a bit silly to have the update but not let us be able to download the Winamp installer without the update added on to that.
Old 5th May 2007, 19:02   #82
wasteoftime

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
alas, the burning issue with win98 is really down to sonic to resolve and from what i gather they've not been all that successful on this front - winamp just interfaces with their library so if the library is failing then winamp will inturn.

-daz
I have WinXP Home, and Winamp5.34 Pro and burning still does not work. I has not worked since Winamp5.24.
It has been suggested that there is incompatibility with my hardware. Is there any way to know.
As reported by me before, burning, actually, works, but I get a few seconds snippets of the .mp3 files. Burning works with every other music app., and, still works if I downgrade to 5.24.
Old 5th May 2007, 20:50   #83
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
Originally posted by MarcLister
Will there be a release of an updated Winamp 5.34 Pro installer to Winamp 5.34a Pro? It seems a bit silly to have the update but not let us be able to download the Winamp installer without the update added on to that.
No, there'll be a 5.35 coming soon instead.

We can't just add the updated in_mp4.dll and repackage it as 5.34a, because there's also been other changes made in other areas of Winamp. You'd probably understand more if you knew how the build system worked...

@wasteoftime

And what hardware would that be exactly?
Old 5th May 2007, 21:11   #84
MarcLister

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
No, there'll be a 5.35 coming soon instead.

We can't just add the updated in_mp4.dll and repackage it as 5.34a, because there's also been other changes made in other areas of Winamp. You'd probably understand more if you knew how the build system worked...
Right OK. That makes sense. I just wondered why a 5.34a wasn't being released. An impending 5.35 would be a good excuse.

I'm not a programmer but I am at Uni in England doing a Computer Science degree so I have a little understanding of stuff like this. I can certainly understand that the in_mp4.dll change is probably the most urgent change yet with other changes and fixes etc to come, it wouldn't make sense to release a patched 5.34a and then a 5.35 soon after.

So any tentative release dates for 5.35 then?
Old 5th May 2007, 21:35   #85
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
Sure: When it's done.
Old 5th May 2007, 22:44   #86
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

Quote:
Right OK. That makes sense. I just wondered why a 5.34a wasn't being released. An impending 5.35 would be a good excuse.

I'm not a programmer but I am at Uni in England doing a Computer Science degree so I have a little understanding of stuff like this. I can certainly understand that the in_mp4.dll change is probably the most urgent change yet with other changes and fixes etc to come, it wouldn't make sense to release a patched 5.34a and then a 5.35 soon after.

Winamp development rarely ever takes a break. The list of things to do is great, and what you get as a release is usually a snapshot given the final QA send off. Obviously releases have their own goals, but generally speaking, its an ongoing product cycle.

So, once a release is out the door, its straight on to the next version. In the few days after a release, any number of changes could be made to the codebase. The build system is altered to create different installers automatically, the beta branded ones you have seen released are a good example. The build system was changed in this way due to leaks of beta a while back that were not easily identified as not being final code (the build system used to only build final builds).

Its kinda confusing, but it works. The only issue really is that when you have the build system set up to build a new version (as has already been stated, 5.35 is being worked on at the moment), its a pain to roll back the build system simply to generate a 5.34a. Usually, changes are just rolled back from the next build and a new version number is created. The build goes live as final, then the changes are re-rolled and another internal beta build will be created. A whole lot of hassle, which is why its easier to get a fix out ASAP than a brand new build.

Amusingly, this is also one of the reasons why the timescales of things are not directly attributed to specific version numbers, version bumps do occur when patches need releasing. Concepts that are planned for 5.35 will probably be bumped to 5.36 due to the short QA cycle.

Before you ask, I have no idea about what functionality is planned.

Old 6th May 2007, 15:11   #87
MarcLister

Thanks CraigF. I was going to reply earlier but my keyboard played up and I had to reset so now I've forgotten what I was going to say.
Old 7th May 2007, 11:46   #88
an Sealgair

Quote:
Originally posted by an Sealgair
The 'WINAMP UPDATE' embedded IE page has white text on a white background.
Quote:
Originally posted by siebe83
Did you disable javascript in IE, maybe?
That was it. My IE settings are quite strict so I put the Winamp domain in Trusted Sites and now the colours in the window are as per the skin.

Old 9th May 2007, 04:10   #89
jedwardsb

PS4 devices

Hi all,

I don't know if I missed anything, but I'm a recent convert to winamp. I have a creative zen vision and so far haven't been able to transfer anything to it. I've seen talk of fixing the problem 5.34 has w/ p4s devices. I was just wondering if the p4s bug had been fixed.

But otherwise, I love the program. Much better than rhapsody (which I used previously)
Old 9th May 2007, 08:21   #90
DrO

the fix is not public until the next release (intended to be 5.35 but i don't know when it'll be released)

-daz
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion