Old 12th February 2008, 17:32   #41
Lawnmower233
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Lawnmower233 Send a message via Yahoo to Lawnmower233
Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
I assume you're referring to Vista there? If so, then yes, I agree :-)
No. Only reason it appears temperamental is because people can't be bothered to program properly for it.

For instance there's a thread I made earlier where my problem turned out to be completely due to the sheer laziness of the devs. WinAmp needs to be run as Administrator for no good reason on both XP and Vista. I don't see why it should need to be run as admin as no other game/media player/piece of software that I use needs administrator except various anti-malware utilities I have like Spybot S&D. In fact even most of the anti-malware things like BitDefender get special privileges from the OS's Security Centre and so I don't need to run them as administrator.

There is no reason WinAmp needs admin. It does nothing special to set itself apart from any other media player than I can see. It still needs admin without Winamp agent and WinAmp remote. I just don't get it.

Windows is a "temperamental" OS and always will be because so many third party apps run on it. Apple can confidently gloat that Mac OS "Just works" because virtually no third party apps I use regularly will run on it. It is MS's fault for being arrogant and annoying at times but it's not their fault if third-parties when they have had 18 months to adapt to Vista STILL can't seem to make their products compatible.

And I like Linux. I'm not a big Windows Fanboy. I have Ubuntu on my old PC but I just think Vista bashing is some annoying fad that I hope will die out eventually.

And this will be the last point in my diatribe against Vista bashing. I have a notebook, or as we affectionately used to call it, the craptop. It's a Toshiba Satellite Pro A100 with 512MB of DDR2 SDRAM, a 1.73Ghz mono-core processor and a intergrated GFX card. It came with Vista Business and ran appallingly slow and bad. I too wanted to blame MS. But it turns out after a while when I noticed the sticker beside the keyboard that it actually was SUPPOSED to come with Windows Vista Home Basic and not Business. Some idiot third party had installed Business on each of the laptops. They then sold them all on to various computer salesmen. The computer salesman I got my new desktop off threw in this Toshiba craptop with it. I thought it'd be great as I'd just bought a Netgear DG834GT "Super Wireless ADSL Modem Router" and I wanted something wireless. Anyway it runs like a slug with even everything off.

Point is MS can be annoying but they made different flavours of Vista for a reason. It's stupid third-parties who upgrade PCs that don't meet the hardware requirements to the more intensive versions of Vista that are the real idiots here.

And on the software side of things it's third party software devs who didn't really bother much to make proper drivers and software for Vista that make it so "incompatible".
Lawnmower233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2008, 18:10   #42
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

On Vista, programs can't write to the registry unless they are run as administrator.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2008, 19:13   #43
Omega X
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Omega X Send a message via Yahoo to Omega X
Quote:
On Vista, programs can't write to the registry unless they are run as administrator.
And that is a wonderful feature to have. One of the first things adware/malware likes to muck up.

@Lawnmower

Most Vista native programs now days run in user mode. I only have about 3 apps that require admin mode. Super©, Spybot S&D and a ripping program.
Omega X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2008, 19:27   #44
Lawnmower233
Banned

Why does WinAmp need to write to the registry?

@Omega X: Yeah that's what I was saying. After July '07 my Vista user experience required very little UAC prompts as most programs by then that would have needed Administrator privileges had services running from startup: Steam, Ad-aware 2007, Punkbuster, BitDefender, etc.

As I said in my thread, either WinAmp makes a service or it makes itself not need Administrator Privileges. Please explain to me why a media player that just keeps a library needs to edit the registry.
Old 12th February 2008, 19:53   #45
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Winamp needs to write to the registry for the following:

Winamp -> Prefs:

Winamp Pro -> Enter Registration key

The key is stored in the registry.
If Winamp can't write to the registry then you can't register Winamp Pro.

File Types:

Any file association changes you make in there are written to the registry,
as are the "Launch Winamp for audio CDs", "Enqueue files on dbl-click", "Show Winamp in folder context menus" and "Enable Winamp Agent" settings.

If Winamp can't write to the registry, then those settings changes will not take effect.

There's probably a few other settings here and there which also require registry write permissions, eg. Jump To File -> Shell Options.
Old 12th February 2008, 20:14   #46
Lawnmower233
Banned

Could it not like have a service or something?

Quote:
Winamp needs to write to the registry for the following:

Winamp -> Prefs:

Winamp Pro -> Enter Registration key

The key is stored in the registry.
If Winamp can't write to the registry then you can't register Winamp Pro.

File Types:

Any file association changes you make in there are written to the registry,
as are the "Launch Winamp for audio CDs", "Enqueue files on dbl-click", "Show Winamp in folder context menus" and "Enable Winamp Agent" settings.

If Winamp can't write to the registry, then those settings changes will not take effect.

There's probably a few other settings here and there which also require registry write permissions, eg. Jump To File -> Shell Options.
Old 12th February 2008, 20:40   #47
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Yeah, it could. But it doesn't :-)
Old 12th February 2008, 22:07   #48
Omega X
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Omega X Send a message via Yahoo to Omega X
It doesn't necessarily need a service. It just needs to ask the system for admin privileges where necessary.
Omega X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2008, 22:43   #49
Lawnmower233
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, it could. But it doesn't :-)
Perhaps because the devs are lazy?
Old 12th February 2008, 22:57   #50
DrO

or they don't have the time or the means and inclination to pay for a copy of vista (and required hardware upgrades needed to make it worth it) to even try out those sort of things - is why i know none of the jtfe plugin additions are likely to ever be vista compatible (which could affect people in your situation). dunno about the dev team themselves - that'd be down to them to reply to you about.

also looking at your previous comments (and others), making a service to deal with this is just a lame hack imho. and i've no idea how well that'd even work but one more thing running just doesn't seem right to the user and programmer sides of me especially since people are so sceptible about extra things running (can just imagine all of the posts about people viewing winamp as spying on them, etc etc due to this extra service running). but what would i know *shrugs*

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2008, 23:26   #51
Lawnmower233
Banned

I reinstalled and WinAmp is back in the "Set Defaults" dialog so problem solved.

@DrO: Needing to edit the registry at all apart from installation and uninstallation is an unneeded "hack". Nothing else needs Admin on my computer except Spybot S&D. I really don't know what the WinAmp devs' collective problem is. It's not 1999 anymore.
Old 13th February 2008, 00:43   #52
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

How many other programs do you have that allow you to set file associations and shell extensions etc from within the program's preferences? This requires writing to the registry.

The only other way would be to hide any settings that require writing to the registry - on Vista only - so you can only set associations via Default Programs, and can't remove the shell extensions.

As for your claim that the devs are lazy, maybe you should read the changelog (either via: Winamp -> Help menu -> About Winamp -> Version History, or here) ?
Old 13th February 2008, 01:03   #53
Lawnmower233
Banned

Quote:
How many other programs do you have that allow you to set file associations and shell extensions etc from within the program's preferences? This requires writing to the registry.

The only other way would be to hide any settings that require writing to the registry - on Vista only - so you can only set associations via Default Programs, and can't remove the shell extensions.

As for your claim that the devs are lazy, maybe you should read the changelog (either via: Winamp -> Help menu -> About Winamp -> Version History, or here) ?
You can change Program Associations in RealPlayer too through "Tools" > "Preferences..." > "Content" > "Media Types". Think I've seen it in a good few programs. But I don't really use it. I find the Vista Set Defaults dialog thing to be handier. It's right on the Start Menu.

And I guess due to the lack of reasonable cause for having admin a service would be a waste of a user's resources (if it takes up much at all which I doubt). WinAmp should only ask for admin when it's "writing to the registry" or whatever, just like RealPlayer and whatever else does.
Old 13th February 2008, 02:09   #54
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Yes. It should. And we plan to implement that feature at some point in the future (ie. the annoying UAC prompt to allow/deny, like you get with just about all other programs/actions on Vista).
Old 13th February 2008, 03:28   #55
Lawnmower233
Banned

Quote:
Yes. It should. And we plan to implement that feature at some point in the future (ie. the annoying UAC prompt to allow/deny, like you get with just about all other programs/actions on Vista).
I'm not sure what programs you're running but if you really use programs circa 1997 ^^ that need DEP turned off and super admin the whole time then edit the registry and turn a simple key value from a 0 to a 1. On administrator accounts UAC prompts will now be disabled but UAC prompts will remain active on standard user accounts. But I really don't think you have Vista or ever want to get it. You just come up with fairly weak reasons, like everyone else, to justify not bothering to get it.

Anyway most programs from 2000+ just need Windows XP SP2 Compatiblity mode (if at all) and don't really need administrator privileges. And really the programs that most users use wouldn't need admin at all, and thus wouldn't trigger UAC prompts. And also since it's been 18 months since RTM versions were given to most companies, the majority of useful programs that DID need Administrator privileges now have some level of Vista compatibility.

WinAmp seems to be the exception though.
Old 13th February 2008, 11:32   #56
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

FYI, I've got a Vista machine, and use the Administrator account on it ONLY.

However, my main pc is a trusty WinXP one :-)

99% of Vista users will be on a standard user account with UAC enabled, where they get prompted to allow/deny every little action, from copy/cut+paste and deleting files (in UAC protected folders, such as Program Files, Windows, etc), to allowing programs to write to the registry, etc etc.

A bit like an annoying troll actually... ;-)
Old 13th February 2008, 19:56   #57
Lawnmower233
Banned

Quote:
FYI, I've got a Vista machine, and use the Administrator account on it ONLY.

However, my main pc is a trusty WinXP one :-)

99% of Vista users will be on a standard user account with UAC enabled, where they get prompted to allow/deny every little action, from copy/cut+paste and deleting files (in UAC protected folders, such as Program Files, Windows, etc), to allowing programs to write to the registry, etc etc.

A bit like an annoying troll actually... ;-)
I just switched users to my mom's account. I cut a file and pasted it, rinsed and repeated in several folders in C:\Users\Family\. I created a few files and and cut them and pasted them and copied them and deleted them and permanently deleted them by emptying the recycle bin. No UAC prompts so far. I opened up every program there was a shortcut to on her desktop. No UAC prompts so far.

I even opened up the registry through regedit on her account without a UAC prompt (I must have accidently allowed it through Parental Controls; Ironic I'm using Parental controls on my parents :P).

And here is a Tutorial of how to disable UAC prompts while leaving UAC enabled globally and allowing UAC prompts to still exist on Standard user accounts. It makes the registry modification I described earlier simple by the addition of the option to download a reg file from the tutorial site and just run it, rather than editing the value yourself.

And here are two other links demonstrating the benefits of Vista's UAC over it's security lacking predecessors:

Link 1 Link 2

I hope you will come to realise that overly sensationalist attitude to Vista and UAC has nothing substantial to back it up. Rather your Vista bashing is probably more of an attempt to justify not switching over to a new OS. You're not alone though. Plenty of people resent MS as they hold the keys to the kingdom, so to speak, when it comes to PC OS's. They resent Microsoft forcing them to change OS now even though it's long overdue. People got too used to XP and are creating great opposition to the OS change now, even though changing your OS every 2-3 years was a pretty normal feature of the '90's.

Vista may not revolutionalise much but it is a substantial improvement over XP. As much as 98 was over 95 or XP was over ME.
Old 13th February 2008, 20:50   #58
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

I don't need any tutorials.
99% of other Vista users probably do though....

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=10
Old 13th February 2008, 21:36   #59
Lawnmower233
Banned

Quote:
I don't need any tutorials.
99% of other Vista users probably do though....

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=10
I wouldn't say they'd need any tutorials but it seems you do. 99.9999999% of Vista Users aren't haunted by UAC prompts when they "copy/cut+paste files" or when they're "deleting files". You seemingly are.

I also thought since you seem so fond of editing the registry for any old reason at all then you'd enjoy this tutorial.
Old 13th February 2008, 23:19   #60
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Maybe you ought to do a bit of research first before spouting your bullshit.
You're annoying me now, so bye :-/

You picked the wrong place to troll (and the wrong person)

DJ Egg
Winamp Chief Technical Support
Winamp QA
Winamp Forum Admin
Old 13th February 2008, 23:20   #61
Juanus
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Juanus
:::applause:::
Juanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2008, 23:49   #62
Lolmower233

Quote:

DJ Egg
Winamp QA
Winamp Forum Admin
I will now post the edit I was about to post before you abused your position to silence a perfectly reasonable debate which you initiated. By the way a troll according to Wikipedia is:

Quote:
An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial and usually irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, with the intention of baiting other users into an emotional response[1] or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.
This is a forum for "Winamp Discussion" and this thread is for discussion pertaining to "Winamp 5.52". WinAmp 5.52's lack of Windows Vista integration is a relevant topic. Your foulmouthed abuse and accusations that I am a "troll" are sadly erroneous. Nevertheless I will respect your wishes and make this my last post. It was intended to be it before you broke your own rules and banned me from the forum without any warning whatsoever.

Here was what was to be my edited post containing evidence to counter your misleading implication that 12% of the OS market is bad for a first year:

In response to your implications that 12% of the OS market 1 year after launch is poor I would direct you to this article: (unless you'll say "I don't need any articles." which I can't do anything about.)

Article 1

Never mind the headline "Vista Adoption to outpace XP, analyst says". It was written some time ago and was predictive rather than written in retrospect. What's interesting, though, is a piece of information in it.

It says that 1 year after launch XP had 12-14% of the PC market share. Given that Vista having 12% of the OS Market Share not being the same with it having 12% of the PC market share then you can't directly compare the two. I did some maths and worked out that according to this Vista must have 13.17% of the PC Market Share. So Vista is a slight bit on the high end of 12-14%. So it's done a bit better than XP as far as taking a chunk of the PC Market*.

*By PC Market I assume they meant the Windows PC market and I only included all the Windows versions down to CE and not Linux.

So my idea that Vista is doing slightly better than XP in fact, and not worse, is supported by the aforementioned calculation and this article:

Article 2

It says that Vista's sales are twice the sales of XP in the same period which is true but as UberGerbil says in the first comment PC sales were half what they are today in 2001-2002 and so there's nothing unusual in Vista shipping in twice the volume that XP did. That supports my calculation that Vista adoption is either smack on with XP adoption in its first year or doing slightly better.

He also makes an interesting point:
Quote:
...given that a lot of OEMs are offering the choice of XP or Vista, it might be marginally interesting that Vista isn't doing any worse than this).
So this, in my opinion, backs up the notion that Vista is doing better than XP because even with the choice of both XP and Vista, in most outlets, Vista's market share for it's first year is tying (and maybe even surpassing) XP's market share for it's first year. Even with the choice of good old XP now Vista is still having strong OEM sales.

And here's an anecdotal report that tells the story of a company, who after keeping their Vista inventory lean reported a loss while a company who vehemently pushed Vista sales reported a good percentage increase in profits.

Article 3

I really think, after this research, that all the Vista bashing is nothing more than hot air. Vista's OEM sales are strong just like XP's were. Vista bashing is just snobbery. Like my dad always says that films and stuff were better in the sixties. It's just nostalgia. People have XP for over half a decade, longer than any other OS and they are really lashing out at Vista because they really don't want to "change". My dad just refuses to learn how to work Sky Digital. I told him he can pause Sky News, rewind, watch 40 other news channels than the ones you'd get with NTL's terrestrial package, but he's just too lazy to change. He hasn't even learned how to use the mute button. Vista bashing and XP idealisation are really just what my dad does except to a different degree. It's a mix of snobbery, nostalgia and just plain old laziness. "Things were better with XP," you can all chant, but they aren't. I have an XP machine upstairs and good god would I choose my Vista machine anyday.

And to finish up:

As my friend said when I mentioned about Winamp's lack of adaptation to Vista:
Quote:
"Hey guys, we're going to be lazy and put off having to properly code our program for the latest OS by hiding behind the usual bandwagon ignorance and bashing that goes around when there is a new OS out!"
Also note that exactly the same things were said about XP when it was first released.
People will probably be saying the same stuff about "Vienna" or whatever when it comes out. Times never change. :'(
Old 14th February 2008, 00:27   #63
only_johhny

Quote:

DJ Egg
Winamp QA
Winamp Forum Admin
Haha, oh wow.

Banned because he told the truth.

While Lawnmower could sometimes put his points better, he is correct.

You make some very silly remarks, and i will list them.

Firstly, you state that you use the Administrator account, a account that is HIDDEN. running under the Administrator account is like running as root in Linux, and i don't think i need to explain the reaction you would get if you said that to any true Linux user.

Secondly, when you create an account in Vista OOB or after a fresh install it is a Administrator account not a standard account, but while UAC is activated it acts like a standard account (Just like Linux does) and promts you to allow or deny when an application requires admin-level priviledges.

Lastly, and this correlates to the first point, UAC has three states, ON, Silenced and OFF. OFF and ON are obvious, but silenced is the interesting one.

If you read this link to Brandon Paddock's blog, (http://brandonlive.com/2007/02/06/mo...ected-mode-ie/) he explains that turning off UAC disables Protected Mode IE, but if you Silence UAC, there are no "annoying" elevation dialogues.

In a additional post on the Neowin.net forums by Brandon (Just a FYI here, he works in MS's Shell team), disabling UAC also kills the Priority I/O system which allows processes and serivecs to run in the background and not consume resource in a manner that will cause perf degredation in the main running programs.

But anyway, i'm getting off track here, a few last things.

1. How can you even compare market shares of an OS that has been out for ~1 year to one that has been out for ~7?

2. Vista is simpler to pick up and use from a "luddite's" point of view, my parents are living proof of this, so i doubt that "99% of them" need tutorials.

3. UAC can be noisy, and Microsoft do acknowledge that, as evinced by SP1 containing code changes to the methods Vista uses to get certain tasks done that require no Elevation, or only requiring one prompt instead of a string of them.

4. I personally spend lots of time modding Valve's Source engine, especially in the materials system, and that requires copy and pasting files back and forth multiples times, never have i once seen a UAC dialogue, the only time i have was when i was pasting files in a protected directory. (WINDOWS and Program Files)

Final word: UAC isn't perfect but nor is WinAmp, stop blaming issues with the methods that WinAmp uses on Vista, because you better get used to more regular changes to windows, with Allchin retired and Sinofski in charge of the Windows division, you can bet your life savings on Windows Seven being released on time.
only_johhny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2008, 01:09   #64
Juanus
Major Dude

Doesn't Kn0tte have a problem with a songticker or something? Oh how I wish for those days.
Old 14th February 2008, 02:30   #65
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Nope. I actually do run it on the so-called hidden Administrator account, which I unhid by using the "Net user administrator activate:yes" command.

We've already acknowledged that there's certain issues on Vista, and that we plan to address them over the coming releases.

We added support for Default Programs and Autorun recently.
We made the installer run in an elevated state so that it can write to the registry (but haven't done it for the client itself yet).
We tried to implement Flip3D/DWM support for Modern skins, but it failed, so we're looking for an alternative solution.
We're looking at writing an OpenAL-based Output plugin.

What else is there?
What else do you want? Blood?

In the meantime, why don't you go find some Microsoft ass-kissing forum somewhere to sing the praises of Vista, and leave us in peace to discuss Winamp.

ps. Lawnmower was banned for trolling.
I haven't decided if it's permanent or temporary yet...
Old 14th February 2008, 02:34   #66
Lolmower233

Quote:
Nope. I actually do run it on the so-called hidden Administrator account, which I unhid by using the "Net user administrator activate:yes" command.

We've already acknowledged that there's certain issues on Vista, and that we plan to address them over the coming releases.

We added support for Default Programs and Autorun recently.
We made the installer run in an elevated state so that it can write to the registry (but haven't done it for the client itself yet).
We tried to implement Flip3D/DWM support for Modern skins, but it failed, so we're looking for an alternative solution.
We're looking at writing an OpenAL-based Output plugin.

What else is there?
What else do you want? Blood?

In the meantime, why don't you go find some Microsoft ass-kissing forum somewhere to sing the praises of Vista, and leave us in peace to discuss Winamp.
Blood? Sure. But to not have it need to run as an administrator in the meantime will be just fine.
Lolmower233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2008, 02:42   #67
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Ban evasion is actually a bannable offence. But I'm prepared to let it go for the time being, if you play nice....

If you don't need to change any of the settings I referred to earlier via the Winamp interface which require registry-write permissions, then you don't ever need to run Winamp as administrator.

The dev assigned to that area will hopefully/eventually be implementing the method to elevate Winamp so that those relevant settings will take effect (where average users running a standard user profile with default UAC settings will get the prompt to allow/deny). There is no other way.

[edit]

Oh, I somehow missed your first post...

Yes, XP also had ~12% of the market share after one year, but by the time it made it to 30 or 40%, Winamp was 100% compatible. The same will happen on Vista, given time. We're not robots or miracle workers. There's actually only 2 full time devs working on the Winamp core/client, and only really one main dev (Benski).
Old 14th February 2008, 02:46   #68
Lolmower233

Quote:
Ban evasion is actually a bannable offence. But I'm prepared to let it go for the time being, if you play nice....

If you don't need to change any of the settings I referred to earlier via the Winamp interface which require registry-write permissions, then you don't ever need to run Winamp as administrator.

The dev assigned to that area will hopefully/eventually be implementing the method to elevate Winamp so that those relevant settings will take effect (where average users running a standard user profile with default UAC settings will get the prompt to allow/deny). There is no other way.
I'm fine with that. It just seemed like for most of the thread you were against adapting to Vista's new way of doing things.As long as it will be looked into, I'm fine with it.
We'll leave it at that then.
Old 14th February 2008, 02:54   #69
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Also see the edit in my previous post.

Yes, precisely. The fact that we've already said on numerous occasions that we plan to eventually make Winamp 100% Vista-compatible is what led me to believe that you were simply here to troll in the first place...

http://www.winamp.com/player/faq#35
Old 14th February 2008, 02:56   #70
Lolmower233

Quote:
Also see the edit in my previous post.

Yes, precisely. The fact that we've already said on numerous occasions that we plan to eventually make Winamp 100% Vista-compatible is what led me to believe that you were simply here to troll in the first place...

http://www.winamp.com/player/faq#35
Oh ok. Didn't realise there were so little devs. I guess Vista wouldn't be high on the priority list then.
Old 14th February 2008, 16:03   #71
Kn0tte
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Juanus
Doesn't Kn0tte have a problem with a songticker or something? Oh how I wish for those days.
Heh, yup.. You remember that

Some questions (mostly for the DEVS maybe):
- How is it going with Winamp 5.5x (newer versions)?
- What can we expect in the next version? Bug fixes? New things?
- Any release date (this month, next month, before the summer)?
- More vista compatible (I dont have vista yet, but Im just asking)?
- Have you looked more into the ML window problem? A few more persons have reported that issue too..

And you should know - Keep up the good work.. Im glad if we get bug-fixes and such things.

Please read:
Anyway, a more serious problem is the Media Library window! It opens behind the other Winamp windows.. BUT - If I use Bento, then switch over to a Modern Skin, and then try to open the ML window, it works. It will open in the front (until I restart Winamp)..

And, BOTH of the problems is in Modern Skins only (all Modern Skins).. In Classic skins, it is just fine - None of these bugs. The songticker shows/updates correct on the songs which it doesnt with Modern skins, and the ML opens in the front..
Why?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, when it is working in Classic skins, and not in Modern Skins, IT IS a bug in/with the Modern Skins (the Modern Skins skinning-engine or something).. It has been like this since WA 5.5 Build 1600 Beta)..
Anyone who can reproduce?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Kn0tte; 14th February 2008 at 16:29.
Kn0tte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2008, 16:32   #72
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

Quote:
Originally posted by Kn0tte
[B]Heh, yup.. You remember that

Some questions (mostly for the DEVS maybe):
- How is it going with Winamp 5.5x (newer versions)?
- Any release date (this month, next month, before the summer)?
- More vista compatible (I dont have vista yet, but Im just asking)?
- Have you looked more into the ML window problem? A few more persons have reported that issue too..

And you should know - Keep up the good work.. Im glad if we get bug-fixes and such things.
"Observe that for the programmer, as for the chef, the urgency of
the patron may govern the scheduled completion of the task, but
it cannot govern the actual completion. An omelette, promised in
two minutes, may appear to be progressing nicely. But when it has
not set in two minutes, the customer has two choices—wait or eat
it raw."
-Fred Brooks, The Mythical Man-Month: Essays on Software Engineering
Benski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2008, 16:43   #73
Kn0tte
Major Dude

Nice..

But I hope you read the rest of my post.. When it is fine in Classic skins, and bugs in Modern Skins, there is a problem somewhere.. I only get those two bugs in Modern Skins.. Weird :/
Old 14th February 2008, 18:13   #74
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
An improved German translation, with translated Bento Skin images.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2008, 02:56   #75
Kalinichenko

it was all right with winamp 5.5 =:(

but i made a mistake (i think) upgrading to winamp 5.52 because it doesn't work in my pc!, it crashes everytime and i have tried reinstalling it but it crashes again! i dunno what to do! i thought it was a problem with my amsn but it isn´t the problem ... i guess... now i feel i dunno anything ... terrible gift in SV's day =:::
Kalinichenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2008, 05:45   #76
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

<-- Tech Support is this way

Be sure to read the FAQ first.
Try a clean install with no 3rd-party plugins.
If the problem persists, provide all the details
(crash error messages, attach a List Of Plugins and HijackThis log, etc).
Old 15th February 2008, 14:51   #77
Juanus
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Kn0tte
Nice..

But I hope you read the rest of my post.. When it is fine in Classic skins, and bugs in Modern Skins, there is a problem somewhere.. I only get those two bugs in Modern Skins.. Weird :/
Knotte. It seems that you did not understand what Mr Benski is trying to say. He has read your posts. ALL OF THEM. He understands and he has taken note. But that does not mean that all of your bugs/requests/features will happen as fast as you want them to. Probably Kn0tte in the next version or even a few versions to come. He is working on them and EVERYTHING else. I would prefer not to eat Winamp raw. I would much rather wait and I would advise you to do the same.
Old 16th February 2008, 01:08   #78
Kn0tte
Major Dude

Quote:
Knotte. It seems that you did not understand what Mr Benski is trying to say. He has read your posts. ALL OF THEM. He understands and he has taken note. But that does not mean that all of your bugs/requests/features will happen as fast as you want them to. Probably Kn0tte in the next version or even a few versions to come. He is working on them and EVERYTHING else.
Ok..

Then a question again: Is this how to do a clean install (and have you DEVS tried this to try to reproduce the issues)?

1. Delete Winamp via control panel/add or remove programs.
2. Delete the Winamp dir
3. Delete the %AppData%\winamp folder..
4. Delete C:\Windows\Winamp.ini (v5.1 and earlier, not v5.11 or above)
5. Reinstall Winamp

About number 3: How am I supposed to do that? When I uninstall winamp via control panel, and then check winamp in the appdata folder, it is automatically deleted/removed.. HOW can I do that manually when it is already removed?

And another question I have asked them for a long time: How do I find out if some bugs are in some countries only? I mean, how do I find out if it is a country-problem? I remember a while back when there were some bugs that people in sweden got only.. How did the DEVS manage to reproduce that?

Quote:
I would prefer not to eat Winamp raw. I would much rather wait and I would advise you to do the same.
Yes, I will wait and see how things goes now and in the future =)

Last edited by Kn0tte; 16th February 2008 at 01:38.
Old 16th February 2008, 12:13   #79
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

It's highly probable that as from 5.5 (with the new installer setup) that the uninstaller deletes everything automatically. Whereas back in 5.35 and previous, you still had to manually delete the settings in %AppData%\Winamp.

I'm also not sure if the uninstaller deletes all 3rd-party plugins in the %ProgramFiles%\Winamp folder. I don't plan on testing it to find out, therefore the clean install instructions still tell you to manually check for your self to make sure that everything has been deleted by the uninstaller....

I assume you're aware that the %AppData% dir is hidden by default, and you need to make sure you can view hidden files & folders via: "Control Panel -> Folder Options -> View tab" first...?
Old 16th February 2008, 15:07   #80
Kn0tte
Major Dude

Quote:
It's highly probable that as from 5.5 (with the new installer setup) that the uninstaller deletes everything automatically. Whereas back in 5.35 and previous, you still had to manually delete the settings in %AppData%\Winamp.

I'm also not sure if the uninstaller deletes all 3rd-party plugins in the %ProgramFiles%\Winamp folder. I don't plan on testing it to find out, therefore the clean install instructions still tell you to manually check for your self to make sure that everything has been deleted by the uninstaller....

I assume you're aware that the %AppData% dir is hidden by default, and you need to make sure you can view hidden files & folders via: "Control Panel -> Folder Options -> View tab" first...?
Ok.. Yeah, I know it is hidden, so most of the times I just go to Start -> Run -> Type "%AppData%\winamp"..

And what about the country-thing? I remember there was some country-bugs back in the 5.5 beta stages.. How did you find out that it was a country-problem?

About the ML: So, you press the ML button and it opens in the front? (Remember to restart Winamp first if you have used the Bento skin before switching to WA Modern).

But a question: Can you post a screenshot for me about the Media Library? Post one screenshot before you are pressing the ML button, and then one screenshot after you press the ML (so I can see how it opens for you)..
If it is do-able, you could film it..
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion