Old 11th April 2007, 18:20   #1
w_hopkins

irritation with streams

Well, first off, this isn't a bug report. Nor is it posted in tech help because they also want all the details of a bug report, and I don't really think this is something 'broken'. Just really irritating and I was wondering if I could fix it..

I use winamp these days primarily to listen to MP3s streamed from an Apache HTTP server. Basic web streaming, because winamp will autocache (albeit poorly..though that's a different discussion) and autoplay; I have an elaborate web application that provides playlisting functions for music from a remote server.

However, the issue at hand is pause. If I pause a music stream for too long, then unpause it, no further downloading/caching occurs. The song plays until it hits the end of what was already downloaded and then it ends/goes to the next song. Since I listen to music at work, this happens a lot. Pause..walk away for a 15 minute meeting..come back and unpause..song ends short. Tear hair out. Repeat.

Anyone have a fix?

Clyde
w_hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2007, 19:36   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Try increasing the Streaming Data Buffer size in:
Prefs > Plugins > Input > MPEG Audio Decoder (in_mp3) > Config > Streaming tab

Try something huge like 5120 or 10240 (or more, if the files are bigger than that)
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2007, 16:27   #3
w_hopkins

How would that affect the period of time before the music starts playing?
Old 12th April 2007, 18:55   #4
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Try it and find out ;-)

Sure, it will take a short while longer to buffer at the start of each play (depending on your connection type/speed), but it will be required if you want to pause a stream and resume full playback later.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2007, 20:24   #5
w_hopkins

I asked that because I had a pretty good idea what it would do -- it was a leading question.
This isn't a fix...you're basically telling me not to stream. The amount of time it takes to buffer that much, I may as well download the song here and then play it. There is very little difference in time. The advantage of buffering is immediate playback.

The issue that winamp stops buffering when you pause a stream remains unchanged, and that's something that should be (IMO, at least) fixed. I sadly never went the programming route so I have to hope there will be enough demand for this that the developers will see fit to fix it. Because I certainly can't whip up a new version of in_mp3.dll
Old 12th April 2007, 20:51   #6
Tag
Streaming Media Expert

Send a message via AIM to Tag
Your webserver times-out if there is no activity. This is not Winamp's fault. Increase your http transaction timeout to something like 30 minutes, if you have control over your webserver that is. There is nothing to "fix" in Winamp.

We could try an http resume with a range-request if the socket gets shutdown prematurely. But this would have to be an opt-in function.