Old 4th July 2008, 21:26   #81
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Yeah, but the cpu goes back down to 0-5% after spinner.com is loaded in the browser, yes? If not, then it's probably an issue with Internet Explorer (the Browser in Bento is just an embedded IE page).

Alas, you didn't attach your "List of Plugins" or HijackThis log as requested in the first post in the thread (see 'Reporting Bugs' section), so lord knows...

And like I said, the mem-usage reported by Task Mgr cannot be trusted. Minimize Winamp to the taskbar/systray and you'll see what I mean (reported mem-usage drops considerably, yes?)

If you're worried/troubled by it, you always have the option to switch to the Classic skin instead (which is optimized for older systems or for people who worry about what Task Mgr allegedly reports)...
Old 4th July 2008, 21:51   #82
Firestorm08

this new version rocks the house extremely. congratulations to the developers.they do an awesome job! in case of connection to shoutcasts WA 5.54 got a lot faster and also in shoutdown and startup. but winamp still uses a lot of memory.
we all know that icq 6 uses a lot more mem as usuall and if you compare it to winamp it have only the 1/4 amount of memory.

is there anyway to reduce it a little?

i saw an lame encoder update 3.98 final is this usefull for winamp or does winamp use a completly different audio encoder?
after i found winamp i couldn't use other mp3 playing software cause i loved wa skin and sound so much :P . i use it cause i think no other player can handle mp3 in such a good way.how about the video function ? is there any way to make winamp more video codecs WITHOUT installing codec packs? so i mean integrated codecs like in vlc or media player classic

thanks
Fire
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wa.jpg (180.5 KB, 295 views)
Old 4th July 2008, 22:01   #83
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
Don't think you will ever see integrated video codecs. (And MPC really only has a few built in, mostly splitters). But *legally* integrated video codecs cost a lot of money. But codec packs are jsut silly. ffdshow

And if you have an older, slower systems and have memory concerns:
http://sawgweb.com/like_the_wind/

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Old 4th July 2008, 23:27   #84
rjc862003

as i said I have no plugins this is a clean install

things i have found that helps

useing the video tab instead of ML browser ect [lowers useage to [30-45mb]

as for the cpu useage spikeing

I would like to have a way to have bento open but not be Foreced to keep Ml/vis/browser/vidoe when useing the bento skin in full screen /window a blank tab would do the trick { working on editing the skin todo that ]

winshade mode is not much better 25-40 mb ram at any given point min2tray has the same resualt

the reasion for the ram useage is that its always displaying some unnecessary info I would like to beable to keep bento open [ not need to change skins] but not be forced to have one of the things I am not useing open

I checked the ram useage again with Process explorer
by sysinternals same resualts

Hijack this log

[removed and attached to DJ Egg's post below instead]

( thought)
it seems now a days with pc's with 1-2 gigs of ram becomeing more common programers are throwing efficiency to the wind in favor of faster dev times and flasher
versions Not to make a point with winamp but I see this more and more I am a fairly skilled programer and self proclaimed pc nerd I rember back when 8 mega bytes was a HUGE amomount of ram and you had to squeese all your stuff into it
Old 4th July 2008, 23:44   #85
Firestorm08

sawg thank for your reply. i've heared a lot of ffdshow but i never used it. now i know that this is a nice software . thanks now i can play all viodeos in winamp . thank you very much !
Old 4th July 2008, 23:53   #86
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

rjc862003:

How much RAM is used strongly depends on many things, especially, how many items you have in your playlist, like Egg said, 25-40Mb isn't much.

I've many 3rd party plugins installed, but I reduced the number of installed library plugins, I've just installed, what I really need and to be honest, I don't check all these "Winamp uses too much system ressources" threads.
Old 4th July 2008, 23:53   #87
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

@rjc862003

"25-40 mb ram" is not much.

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {01A33D85-4706-452A-B71A-99510ADA8C0C} - (no file)
http://www.castlecops.com/tk44153-random_filename.html

The missing BHO, and the 3 "O20 - Winlogon Notify (file missing)" items in your HJT log are evidence that you've got or had a virus - so where Internet Explorer usage is concerned, anything's possible, heh.

ps. I've deleted the HijackThis log from your post and attached it to mine instead, to save space.

@all

Please attach logs. Do not post them in the message body.
If there's more than one log, zip them up and attach the zip instead.
The Attachment feature is available via the 'Post a Reply' button.

Old 5th July 2008, 04:58   #88
robdog2004
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to robdog2004 Send a message via Yahoo to robdog2004
@dj and anyone else this may apply to
as for cpu usage on winamp doesnt it all depend on how fast your processor is to begin with like a 500mhz processor will show that its being used more than if the processor is a 2 ghz or more

thanks rob
(c)rob 2013 (picture & SN)

(please note) As users we can't give others help unless we get full details of the problem that you are having
Old 5th July 2008, 05:56   #89
rjc862003

why is everyone's Answer to pc issues is O you got a virus =/ :P

my system is clean the first thing i did before comeing here like any good user should I ran my system over with a fine tooth comb its clean

system info

intel p IIII 2.88Ghrz
windows xp sp2 fully updated

1gb of ram

there was a viruse a few months ago :P
it has long been removed the reasion the keys are there is is removed it by hand and missed the keys :P
Old 5th July 2008, 05:59   #90
robdog2004
Major Dude

rjc you dont ever want hijack this to ever find an 020 entry

thanks rob

(please note) As users we can't give others help unless we get full details of the problem that you are having
Old 5th July 2008, 06:07   #91
rjc862003

anyway I got it fixed { partly anyway I made a extra blank tab for winamp bento so I am not forced to have the other stuff open and short of writeing a memory clean-up plugin

I guss I am forced to live with 25-40 mb useage :P
Old 5th July 2008, 06:34   #92
Algalord

I have a question...

No matter the version I use, in normal conditions my Winamp's CPU usage is always about 0-6%...

BUT whenever I start an AntiSpyware program that have some kind of "real time protection" the Winamp's CPU usage goes to 25% OR MORE...
Sometimes it reaches incredible 35% and even skips parts of the song!!

I've been testing every version that comes out with Webroot Spy Sweeper, Spyware Doctor and SUPERAntiSpyware and I always have the same "problem" with ALL of them...
It includes this (wonderful) v5.54 buid 2124...

I've already asked Webroot and the others' support but never got a good answer about it...

So, that means you're my last hope!

Any of you have a clue of what may be causing this problem?

One last point: it never happened with any antivirus I used... AntiSpywares' real-time protection ONLY!
Old 5th July 2008, 06:40   #93
robdog2004
Major Dude

sounds like the anti-spyware is interfering i can suggest one that wont interfere with the winamp but i doubt they <(edit) would let me post it

thanks rob

Old 5th July 2008, 07:02   #94
hklcf

thanks ..
updated
Old 5th July 2008, 09:23   #95
Firestorm08

spybot is well programm ! it doesnt interfere with winamp andn its the best freeware out there! this shouldn't be a ad but i want help the guy with 40% cpu usage ^^
Old 5th July 2008, 11:39   #96
TheUniqueTiger

Back to beta testing days!

@rjc,
My Winamp CPU usage never goes beyond 2-3% using Bento, without Vis, and with the window maximized. Mem usage slowly reaches 59 MB, but when I minimize it, it drops to about 12-20 MB. Then if I maximize again, it stays that much... So I guess its the Task Manager to blame...
Btw, I have ~2700 items in the playlist and ~4000 items in ML plus some 3rd party plugins including Essentials. So its not the ML contents or the plugins to blame either.

@ DJ Egg,
This new version looks great. I hardly use the Sonic/Rip/Burn or the browser so didn't notice the changes/bugs till I read this thread. Still curious about the Drag n drop feature.
The RG preamp is great... Waiting for it in prefs ui in final version!

You have only One Life... So before You are History, make sure you get into History books. - TheUniqueTiger
My personal website, HiFiBB ... Simply Hifi!, HiFiBB
Old 5th July 2008, 12:22   #97
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

We can't reproduce the high memory or cpu-usage issues. Sorry.

Note, 25-40 mb is not classed as high, especially if you're using a modern skin and have lots of items in the playlist and you installed all components/plugins/extras in the installer options (including ones that you may never require/use) ;-)

@rjc862003
I was just stating the fact that your HJT log shows a BHO trojan downloader item and three (thankfully missing) Winlogon Notify malware items. I'm not saying that these are directly to blame for any Winamp issues you might be experiencing, but you should fix those 4 items with HJT anyway.

@Algalord
You would need to attach your zipped HijackThis and "List of Plugins" logs (see first post in thread for details), plus maybe also the last full system scan log from your antispyware app.

@Firestorm08
Yes, I've got Spybot SD, SpywareBlaster & MS Windows Defender installed, and don't experience any problems (the combo of those with my CA Antivirus & Router + Comodo Firewall, and I haven't had any malware whatsoever for many many years now).
Installing too many real-time security apps usually just causes more problems...

@TheUniqueTiger
I'm not sure if the new RG preamp option will make it into the prefs ui for this version. Might not be until 5.55 (or whatever comes next).
Old 5th July 2008, 14:44   #98
Kn0tte
Major Dude

Hey guys! Thanks for the beta release.. I just noticed that the beta was out..
What can I say; thanks for implementing things said by me a while back.. Its working like a charm
And thanks for all the other bug fixes and new things.. Good work!

Now, back to some issues:

1) In this beta release, I noticed a new possible bug. Using whatever skin (I used the WA Modern Skin though), I cant open the Vizualition window.. I cant, nothing happens.. I go into the Vizualition menu and press Start/Stop, but nothing happens..
Can you reproduce it?

2) Some other issues are still remaining.. You know... Heh :P
Please take a look before final release..

Thats all for now.. If I find other issues, I will be back reporting them..

Keep up the good work!

Last edited by Kn0tte; 5th July 2008 at 15:06.
Old 5th July 2008, 15:06   #99
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

1) No. Are you sure it's not hiding under another of the Winamp Modern windows?

2) We still don't know the cause/fix for that one. Sorry.
Old 5th July 2008, 15:13   #100
Kn0tte
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
1) No. Are you sure it's not hiding under another of the Winamp Modern windows?

2) We still don't know the cause/fix for that one. Sorry.
1) Yep, Im sure.. I moved the windows to see if the Vizualition window was behind them, but no - I dont see it anywhere..
:/

2) :/ DJ Egg, I may have a little tip for you and the other DEVs;

I am using a "Modern Skin" (whatever skin, just a Modern one..). I switch to "Bento" for a few seconds, then I switch back to the "Modern Skin" again..
- The ML window issue is now fixed until I restart Winamp. Now it opens in the front..

What I can remember is that there were another similar issue in 5.5x with switching skin back and forth, doing so and so... Or am I wrong..?

Last edited by Kn0tte; 5th July 2008 at 15:30.
Old 5th July 2008, 15:28   #101
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Yes. We know how to reproduce it etc.
But we still don't know the cause/fix though.
No need to discuss it any further.

As for your vis window issue... have you tried deleting studio.xnf (again)?
Old 5th July 2008, 15:43   #102
Kn0tte
Major Dude

Ok.. I hope you will look further/more into it..
I will stop with my endless talking :P Btw; as said before, the bug happens in all non-sui modern skins.

As for the vizualition thing; Yep, deleting the studio.xnf file fixed the issue.. Thanks.. Though its strange that such things happens..

Last edited by Kn0tte; 5th July 2008 at 16:23.
Old 5th July 2008, 16:51   #103
greqmaster

Latest LAME release: v3.98 (July 2008)
Old 5th July 2008, 18:18   #104
TheUniqueTiger

@ DJ Egg,
Hmm... I wonder why it wont make it in the final 5.54, as I thought it needed just the addition of a single option (just in the ui).

@ Kn0tte & DJ Egg,
Whats the issue you are talking about, can you give me the link... May be I can have a look...

You have only One Life... So before You are History, make sure you get into History books. - TheUniqueTiger
Old 5th July 2008, 18:26   #105
Kn0tte
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by TheUniqueTiger
@ Kn0tte & DJ Egg,
Whats the issue you are talking about, can you give me the link... May be I can have a look...
#1, ML Bug --> http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=156839

This bug is already known by the DEVs, so to be honestly, I believe there's nothing you can do.. And DJ Egg said that a discussion is no longer needed..

So, let the DEVs do and handle this in their way
Old 5th July 2008, 18:47   #106
Juanus
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Juanus
Quote:
Originally posted by Kn0tte
And DJ Egg said that a discussion is no longer needed..

So, let the DEVs do and handle this in their way
Where is Kn0tte and what have you done with him?
Old 5th July 2008, 19:04   #107
Algalord

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
@Algalord
You would need to attach your zipped HijackThis and "List of Plugins" logs (see first post in thread for details), plus maybe also the last full system scan log from your antispyware app.
Hi, DJ Egg!!
Thanks for your attention!!

I know the relevance of it but I wouldn't bother posting HijackThis logs or list of plug-ins since I've already made tests on pre-formated machines with only Winamp and Spyware app installed and had exactly the same problem...

Maybe the DEVs could try to reproduce this "issue"...
I'm sure you'd be able to do this...

Just watch the CPU usage of Winamp while it's playing and then activate the real-time protection of any of the AntiSpyware programs I've mentioned above to see what happens...

Maybe it could be related to the way Winamp use to access/manipulate files in disk...

Again, thanks for your attention!!
Old 5th July 2008, 19:41   #108
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
Algalord...

I get anywhere from 0% to 2% CPU usage with only Winamp running, and 0% to 6% (max) with Winamp when both Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware are actively running/scanning. That's the same as you initially reported, but it's always that way for me (and the majority of users), with or without anti-spyware software running. Admittedly though, my CPU usage peaked to 8% with both anti-spyware apps running, but just once, momentarily.

Egg never asks for the required logs unless he suspects they will reveal something. In your case, what the cause of your higher CPU usage is actually being caused by. The fact that you've already tested it on pre-formated machines with only Winamp and one Spyware app installed is not conclusive.

So, if you truly want Egg to help you, you will post the required logs.
If not... well, that's your decision!

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Old 5th July 2008, 20:46   #109
TheUniqueTiger

@ Kn0tte & DJ Egg,
I see the bug is not a major one, so even I won't dwell on it. A simple solution is to attach the ML window to the Main window. The main window gets the focus, and whatever is attached to it is considered to be the same window and shown above others. I think you have other windows like PL attached to the main window which gets the focus over ML for the same reason.

Old 5th July 2008, 20:54   #110
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
Algalord...

OK. It appears as if you will not post any logs. The same was asked of you by Egg 6 months ago and you did not post the logs he asked for then either.

Since you will not post any logs, then all anyone can be expected to do is speculate, and suspect that any of the 3 applications you mentioned, including Webroot Spy Sweeper, Spyware Doctor and SUPERAntiSpyware is/are to blame.

Why don't you try disabling or uninstalling one or more of them, to isolate the culprit? I will not install any of them to even test, due to my only having faith in those that I use, and no others. But as I said, there is no appreciable Winamp CPU usage on my end when both Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware are actively running/scanning.

Ya know, there was a problem 6 months ago with Webroot. Perhaps that is the culprit application today also. But again this is only conjecture, since you will not post the asked-for logs.

Good luck!
Old 5th July 2008, 21:52   #111
robdog2004
Major Dude

as nunzio says and what i read on yahoo (news) that ad-aware and spybot s&d are one of the top rated free spyware scanners/preventers i personnally use them myself along with the spyware/virus/firewall service from zonealarm extreme security suite (beta version 7.4.006) i can suggest using these products as i have had no problems with viruses except the one in my forum history as for spyware havent had any since my old computer wich used norton antivirus

thanks rob

Old 5th July 2008, 22:08   #112
TheUniqueTiger

Here's one bug I found out... When starting Winamp, it shows full CPU usage, the UI is stuck and finally after about 60-80 seconds, the UI shows up normally. Didn't have this problem with 5.531, with the same ~2700 items in playlist and ~4000 items in ML. Using Bento skin. However it does not happen each time I open Winamp.

Old 6th July 2008, 03:14   #113
Bilbo9955

Quote:
Originally posted by Nunzio390
Algalord...
Since you will not post any logs, then all anyone can be expected to do is speculate, and suspect that any of the 3 applications you mentioned, including Webroot Spy Sweeper, Spyware Doctor and SUPERAntiSpyware is/are to blame.
FYI Webroot, while highly rated, is a known CPU hog. Also, the latest versions of Webroot come with their own anti-virus software which is automaticly enabled. If you have another anti-virus program running, one of them must be disabled or you will have problems. You should never run two anti-virus programs at the same time.
Old 6th July 2008, 11:52   #114
alimpro1

Is this bug fixed?!
"Automatically remove dead link in ML."
Old 7th July 2008, 05:47   #115
Algalord

Quote:
Originally posted by Nunzio390
Algalord...

OK. It appears as if you will not post any logs. The same was asked of you by Egg 6 months ago and you did not post the logs he asked for then either.

Why don't you try disabling or uninstalling one or more of them, to isolate the culprit? I will not install any of them to even test, due to my only having faith in those that I use, and no others. But as I said, there is no appreciable Winamp CPU usage on my end when both Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware are actively running/scanning.

Ya know, there was a problem 6 months ago with Webroot. Perhaps that is the culprit application today also. But again this is only conjecture, since you will not post the asked-for logs.

Good luck!
Hi, Nunzio!!

Thanks for your posts and sorry for the delay on answer...
By the time of that thread (6 months ago), I stopped using Webroot SpySweeper's real-time protection just because of the issue with Winamp (yeah, Winamp first! \o/)...
Actually, since then I don't use any antispyware's real-time protection...
I just tried the other two for testing purposes...

I brought the case here because I thought it could be of any relevance for the DEV team, since it's a Beta discussion and the more information the better...
Nowadays I use AntiSpywares just for scanning regularly and don't keep any running in the background...

Finally, don't get me wrong about the logs...
Since I know all of you here have more important things to care about, I just wanted to spare you from analysing logs that I knew wouldn't be of any help...

Again, thanks for your attention!!
And I'm looking forward to put my hands on the final 5.54 version!!

Regards!!
Old 7th July 2008, 09:00   #116
Pidgeot

Quote:
Originally posted by Koopatrooper
I was happy, that the dates in the library were localized, because I have trouble to read the American format. It's complicated, if you've learned the other, non ISO standard version for many years.
(I'm deliberately ignoring separators here, as I'm just clarifying this whole ordering business.)

Y/M/D is not American at all, that would be M/D/Y. Y/M/D is the least ambiguous format (since there's no such thing as Y/D/M), and it's actually an "official" date format in all of Europe (well, EU to be exact). See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Date_format.

Having said that, I doubt many people even bother to read that date at all.
Old 7th July 2008, 10:05   #117
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
Little endian forms, starting with the day This sequence is common to the vast majority of the world's countries (see below for breakdown of countries by format).
From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Date_format#Date_format

Nevermind, the date format will be changeable in an upcoming release via the language files. Then hopefully people stop bugging me.
Old 7th July 2008, 16:36   #118
Daedala

These are my observations I just noticed.

First of all I like that unicode is now properly displayed in the portables tree (in my case 3g iPod nano).

But, the add comment field under <Output File Settings> in <CD Ripping> still does not show unicode characters(in this case Japanese), they are still shown as "?".
The "&" character is not properly displayed in the send to menu for playlists.

And finally, is it possible to remove the new info and search buttons from the Bento Windowshade mode?
They can only be hidden by resizing, but that hides the visualization first.
Old 7th July 2008, 18:41   #119
walker1973

I Tested it Works good and stable there are only one reason...
I'am using WinXP Pro SP3 (X86) Creative Soundblaster Audigy Gamer with 5.1 Channel Soundsystem.
I Play a MP3 or Listening to a STREAM of any Shoutcast the Rear Speakers are still any other Programs like Trillian games play on it reinstall Winamp 5.531 the Rear Speakers run then i Install Winamp 5.54 Beta the Rear Speakers again Still...
Same Settings can you check this where the Problem is ?
And one Question from my Side i has Tested LAME 3.86 Final with Winamp 5.531 and 5.54 Beta it Works with both great do you integrate it in the final version of 5.54 ?
best regards walker
Old 7th July 2008, 19:52   #120
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
Lost me a little. But Winamp doesn't mute other sounds when playing, never has. So you will hear other sounds from Trillian and the such.

And since you have an Audigy. Preferences > Playback > Playback tab > uncheck "Allow 24bit"

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion