Old 11th September 2011, 10:37   #1
chicanez

Car stereo that can run Winamp?

Hi,
I have looked high and low for a car stereo that can run Winamp. I have used the product for so long, I really can't use the alternatives! So from there, a car stereo for this would most likely run a form of Windows or Android I'm guessing. I prefer the Windows version, however I don't want a car PC as they're a pain, usually made by small brands (who don't last) and is unlikely to have the kind good quality music playback you get from brand stereos/amps. So with that, I need a system with Windows but again, I don't want the few Chinese unknown brand stereos that do run Windows.

Also, the mobiles with a big screen still aren't big enough for messing around with big Winamp playlists comfortably (one major reason as to why I prefer the Windows version of Winamp over the Android version). Can anyone point to me to some current or upcoming car stereos that fit the bill? Thanks in advance for any info anyone can provide.
chicanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2011, 14:14   #2
evolution76

Send a message via Yahoo to evolution76
I remember i kinda ask the same question years ago when i was using Winamp 2.0 versions, and some people gave me some answers. One and the best answer is get a labtop put in your car and run winamp that way.
evolution76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2011, 19:10   #3
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
get a car stereo that has bluetooth, (many exist), and then run winamp on your android phone, and voila, winamp in the car.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 08:26   #4
DrO

or just have a car radio with usb support already built into it, or a mp3-cd or many other things.

it just seems massively ott to what to use Winamp (or anything else really) in a car as what seems like a massive distraction to try to use instead of paying attention driving (but that's probably just me who thinks that).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 12:24   #5
chicanez

evolution76:
Thanks but a laptop is too clunky!

MrSinatra:
I am doing that now but Winamp on Android is pretty limited and restricted when it comes to playlists.

DrO:
Fair point re being OTT, but I would manipulate the playlist before leaving so I can add tracks easily (but not on my PC), and add the occasional song at the lights of course. The irony is that the existing systems with touch screens require more input as the songs are stored in alphabetical order. I'm also anti-IPhone before anyone suggests those.

I know I must sound prety fussy but I've been using Winamp for many years (since the mid-90s?) and was hoping that maybe in 2011 a known brand had come out with a Windows-based player.
Old 17th September 2011, 05:06   #6
smokingwheels

Hey there are these small industrial pc that will run off 12V

http://www.compulab.co.il/all-produc...l/products.htm
There may be other cheaper devices around.

Have the device in the boot wire up the speaker out to your line in and Acc power, away you go. You can get windows to auto start then run winamp with my batch file and it loads and starts playing. see http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=334825

Even better still use wireless broadband and connect to your home pc over the internet...
Your Plan for you usb etc need to be able to connect to the net with out interaction.

Your data plan can be the minimum eg 400 meg $30.00/month because they only slow you down to 64kbs so Im guessing you can run sound a bit rate of 32-40kbs thru your SHOUTcast server Via VPN....I have used a shoutcast over a 56k modem and it has trouble with a 32 kbs stream but 24 kbs is ok

If you are interested in the internet connection I am developing you may want to have a look here I havent decided to make it a give away yet...Well it needs further testing

You need Winamp pro, shoutcast dsp plugin and Shoutcast DNAS version 1.8.9??
Caution this will turn your IP in to a public station you need to take certain steps to make it Private
smokingwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2011, 04:49   #7
Brent2121

I've been using Winamp on a laptop mounted in my car since 2005, and I can absolutely say it's been a phenomenal experience. At this point, I can't imagine using anything else, including the incredibly limited android winamp app.

I actually used an ipod for a couple months earlier this year because my laptop died. I wanted to kill myself. After living for so long with the freedom that winamp gives of easily manipulating the playlist (extended jump to file is the shit), and easily accessing songs in my library, anything less is torture.

I'm somewhat ADD in that I'm constantly changing my mind regarding what I want to listen to. One song will come on and remind me of another, and I love being able to quickly throw that song in the list after the current one and still have the queue remain as is (other than the addition of the new song). With anything similar to an ipod you have to be essentially navigating through pages and pages of artists/albums/songs after every track. It's a constant struggle.

Having a keyboard and using hotkeys makes it incredibly efficient. I can do pretty much anything with one or two quick glances at the screen.

I use a program that hibernates windows when power is removed, which happens when I turn off the car. I do have to hit the power button when I start the car, but it's a minor inconvenience.
Brent2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 22:53   #8
chicanez

Brent,
Thanks for the reply. That's exactly the way I feel re Winamp and using the playlist on the fly and I want a screen bigger than the biggest mobile screens too though. I just think a laptop or car PC is a bit bulky but I can't find any big brands that make car stereos with functionality in the same ball park as a car PC/laptop.
Old 29th September 2011, 16:23   #9
cruisindude

Great help there, cant wait to try it out in the car.
cruisindude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 02:51   #10
ford_313

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicanez View Post
evolution76:
Thanks but a laptop is too clunky!

MrSinatra:
I am doing that now but Winamp on Android is pretty limited and restricted when it comes to playlists.

DrO:
Fair point re being OTT, but I would manipulate the playlist before leaving so I can add tracks easily (but not on my PC), and add the occasional song at the lights of course. The irony is that the existing systems with touch screens require more input as the songs are stored in alphabetical order. I'm also anti-IPhone before anyone suggests those.

I know I must sound prety fussy but I've been using Winamp for many years (since the mid-90s?) and was hoping that maybe in 2011 a known brand had come out with a Windows-based player.

I hear ya, it seems all car audio head units are geared toward ipod ipod ipod. I have been reading extensively looking for some sort of car audio unit that can do what winamp does with the "enqueue" feature. Considering the big makers like KW,alpine,JVC,Pioneer..so on charge 500-1000 dollars plus for these double din DVD players you would think they would have developed some sort of media player capable of doing what winamp does with the enqueue setup. The closest option would probably be using Ipod and its "on the go" feature to create a working playlist. But that would require having to use a dreaded Ipod. I would much rather use an external 300gig HD in the glove box hooked via usb. Then use a nice in dash media player similar to winamp capable of sorting using the labeled ID3 tags and giving you the option to simply search through your media and select the file to go next on deck. Therefore as you think of a song or even a whole cd you can just find it and click to add it to your working playlist. It also would give you all the awesome abilities that winamp does to scroll back and see what you have played, move songs up or down on the queue, etc,etc, . Is that to much to ask for ...?? If anyone knows anyone making a unit that can do this without having to use a laptop please pass it on.
ford_313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 18:25   #11
Brent2121

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford_313 View Post
Therefore as you think of a song or even a whole cd you can just find it and click to add it to your working playlist. It also would give you all the awesome abilities that winamp does to scroll back and see what you have played, move songs up or down on the queue, etc,etc, . Is that to much to ask for ...?? If anyone knows anyone making a unit that can do this without having to use a laptop please pass it on.
Yeah, Winamp really does do everything right as far as an "on the go" music listening experience is concerned. And with all the options and skins, you can essentially configure it to behave however you want.

I've been considering trading in the car laptop for a Gigabyte S1080 Win7 tablet. It's got enough storage (320 GB), seems to have everything I'd want in a tablet. Coupled with the Arby skin with a large playlist font size, I think having the touchscreen would be a huge improvement. Although using the keyboard is super useful, especially when I go to the media library and want to jump down to a specific artist. Just type in the first few letters and I'm there. The S1080 does have a hardware button to bring up the on screen keyboard, so that might be sufficient. The matte screen cover is also a necessity, as my current laptop screen is highly reflective which can be super annoying. Streaming the audio to the car stereo with bluetooth would allow it to be passed around the car when you're driving with passengers. Pretty cool option.
Brent2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 22:30   #12
Spiney

I use an FM Transmitter (that uses Memory sticks) for my company Car, that plugs into the cigar lighter socket, I record a playlist using VLC,to MP3, or mp3's and put it on a Memory stick, then into the Transmitter, works great with a basic ford radio on 87.7 FM, and it plays all day.
S
Spiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2011, 02:42   #13
chicanez

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford_313 View Post
I hear ya, it seems all car audio head units are geared toward ipod ipod ipod. I have been reading extensively looking for some sort of car audio unit that can do what winamp does with the "enqueue" feature. Considering the big makers like KW,alpine,JVC,Pioneer..so on charge 500-1000 dollars plus for these double din DVD players you would think they would have developed some sort of media player capable of doing what winamp does with the enqueue setup. The closest option would probably be using Ipod and its "on the go" feature to create a working playlist. But that would require having to use a dreaded Ipod. I would much rather use an external 300gig HD in the glove box hooked via usb. Then use a nice in dash media player similar to winamp capable of sorting using the labeled ID3 tags and giving you the option to simply search through your media and select the file to go next on deck. Therefore as you think of a song or even a whole cd you can just find it and click to add it to your working playlist. It also would give you all the awesome abilities that winamp does to scroll back and see what you have played, move songs up or down on the queue, etc,etc, . Is that to much to ask for ...?? If anyone knows anyone making a unit that can do this without having to use a laptop please pass it on.
Good to hear from someone with similar needs. I'm frustrated something isn't out there. Maybe there are licensing costs that prevent people from putting out a Windows-based car stereo? Seems to be Chinese no-name brands only that have systems out. Also, the other reason for wanting a good car stereo with Winamp over the likes of an Ipod or Bluetooth is the quality of the sound! I streamed the very same mp3 over my phone v my existing Eclipse car stereo and the difference was massive. I know an Ipod plugged in would be better than Bluetooth but you can't beat the quality sound of a decent car stereo. Let's try and remember to reply to this post if we find anything close to what we're after...

Brent2121, thanks but a tablet is still too bulky and like a laptop!
Old 2nd July 2012, 11:54   #14
chicanez

FYI all , I think these Dynavin Android based units are the closest thing I've seen for my purposes. Not sure how far Winamp has come on Android, but when I last used it a year ago it was still beta IIRC. But there are other players you can obviously use if Winamp for Android hasn't improved enough.

http://www.dynavin.com/android.php
Old 8th July 2012, 20:05   #15
Hypnose

If i was you i would build my own car-pc so you can get it exatly how you need it its really simpel and a fun project
Hypnose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2012, 08:23   #16
chicanez

Thanks, Hypnose but I'm hopeless with that mechanical stuff (until I just have to install the OS and configure things)!

Clarion had an Android stereo touted recently too but no firm dates (that would be ideal - a name brand with a highly-configurable OS).
Old 21st February 2017, 09:22   #17
LiamAntony

With a touch screen car stereo, you have everything under control with your car entertainment with just the touch of a fingertip. Controlling your car stereo does not get any more convenient than that. You can use the built-in phone by voice activation once you press the button for it and you can also switch easily between CDs.

These days’ touch screen car stereos can also even play downloaded music and movies. The ease you can search and play your choice of entertainment is so much simpler than ever before.
LiamAntony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2017, 12:19   #18
Atryp

Is it an answer for Winamp in your car?...
Atryp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2017, 19:04   #19
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=400161

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2017, 19:06   #20
zorrilla

Why do you want Winamp in your car?
zorrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2017, 08:17   #21
chicanez

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorrilla View Post
Why do you want Winamp in your car?
Hahah, my reply was from 2012 and I no longer need it. Mobile phones with bluetooth is good enough for me in 2017!
Old 11th July 2017, 17:42   #22
MYR

Man, Liam brought this post back from the DEAD!
MYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2017, 10:31   #23
riahc4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicanez View Post
Hahah, my reply was from 2012 and I no longer need it. Mobile phones with bluetooth is good enough for me in 2017!
They were good enough in 2011 too.
riahc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion