Old 25th May 2017, 23:44   #1
bartman1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 8
How about open donations for winamp development?

Maybe I'm impatient but I think donations would be something good so development speed of the new winamp can be improved. I know that I and a lot of other people would do at least small donations and maybe that's good for everyone.
bartman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2017, 08:41   #2
DJ-Garybaldy
Major Dude
 
DJ-Garybaldy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Harpurhey, Manchester UK
Posts: 567
Donations? Don't make me laugh ...

Radionomy who own Winamp now have pots and pots of money already...



Proud user of RadioDJ v2.0.0 FREE shoutcast automation software

Online: Twitter - Facebook - RadioDJv2
DJ-Garybaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2017, 16:40   #3
osmosis
Major Dude
 
osmosis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Cananada
Posts: 839
If anyone deserves donations it's DrO; definitely not Radionomy who have all-but abandoned Winamp.

http://getwacup.com/

Request: A little SmartView Query Language love.
osmosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2017, 22:51   #4
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator
 
Victhor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Argentina
Posts: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by osmosis View Post
If anyone deserves donations it's DrO; definitely not Radionomy who have all-but abandoned Winamp.

http://getwacup.com/
Completely true.

Nobody should think for a minute that supporting a multinational / company (with employees, lawyers, marketing department, etc) is better than supporting ONE GUY doing it all out of love for the original material..

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2017, 01:02   #5
bartman1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 8
Wow, I had no idea things were like that, I honestly thought the people developing the new winamp was a small team struggling with finding free time to contribute to winamp with no payment, fk radionomy then I'll start looking into other player alternatives, I really didn't know winamp was gone
bartman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2017, 00:57   #6
osmosis
Major Dude
 
osmosis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Cananada
Posts: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartman1 View Post
Wow, I had no idea things were like that, I honestly thought the people developing the new winamp was a small team struggling with finding free time to contribute to winamp with no payment, fk radionomy then I'll start looking into other player alternatives, I really didn't know winamp was gone
Dude. It's not. Follow my link. DrO IS a one-man "small team struggling with finding free time to contribute to Winamp with no payment" so he is absolutely deserving of your support.. but yes, "fk radionomy" ..

Request: A little SmartView Query Language love.
osmosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2017, 20:43   #7
Topcoloringpages
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3
But maybe there is a chance that Radionomy will sell Winamp to someone else.
If they abandoned Winamp then it is quite possible in my opinion.
Crowd funding project for that purpose might be not such a bad idea.
Topcoloringpages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2017, 05:24   #8
cusid1981
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 1
Sounds good!
cusid1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2018, 17:27   #9
Tergulath
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 11
Looking back it was probably best if winamp was open sourced to the community.
Tergulath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2018, 21:42   #10
musicf8
Major Dude
 
musicf8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Orange, CA
Posts: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tergulath View Post
Looking back it was probably best if winamp was open sourced to the community.
you've posted the same thing over many different threads for the past 3 years, give it up. Winamp won't be open sourced, and even if it was, that doesn't guarantee any more development.

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Current status of Winamp 5.8: 9/14/2017

Winamp v5.6.6.3516 bumping through Windows 10 Pro w/ Logitech Z-5500
musicf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2018, 14:57   #11
Foobedoo
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicf8 View Post
you've posted the same thing over many different threads for the past 3 years, give it up. Winamp won't be open sourced, and even if it was, that doesn't guarantee any more development.
Winamp hasn't had a new release in over four years. No offence, but keeping it closed source isn't exactly getting anything done.

Open source would allow folks like myself to contribute to it, and actually get things done. We could have had a new release by now!

But by all means, keep defending what is the most absolutely glacial release schedule I've ever seen.

(And spare me the "it's only one guy working on it" tripe - this is *exactly* why keeping the code proprietary at this point isn't helping anyone.)

I would personally contribute to a collection, if it meant that someone could buy the IP and put it in the hands of capable people, so that development could resume and we might see a new version before I die.
Foobedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2018, 15:44   #12
musicf8
Major Dude
 
musicf8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Orange, CA
Posts: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foobedoo View Post
Winamp hasn't had a new release in over four years. No offence, but keeping it closed source isn't exactly getting anything done.

Open source would allow folks like myself to contribute to it, and actually get things done. We could have had a new release by now!

But by all means, keep defending what is the most absolutely glacial release schedule I've ever seen.

(And spare me the "it's only one guy working on it" tripe - this is *exactly* why keeping the code proprietary at this point isn't helping anyone.)

I would personally contribute to a collection, if it meant that someone could buy the IP and put it in the hands of capable people, so that development could resume and we might see a new version before I die.
I am not defending anything, I am speaking only the truth about things.

You want to contribute? Write plug-ins, or fix plug-ins to make them work with 5.666, get in contact with DrO to see if you can support WACUP (eaither by coding or by contributing $ as I am), doing something is better then coming on this board and wishing for it to become open source even though radionomy couldn't give a flying f what any of us think or say on these boards.

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Current status of Winamp 5.8: 9/14/2017

Winamp v5.6.6.3516 bumping through Windows 10 Pro w/ Logitech Z-5500
musicf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Tags
development, donation

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump