Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Old 23rd June 2013, 15:22   #241
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

It´s a great tool, I would like to test it (Win 7 64bit, latest Winamp beta).
It´s strange, I enter here EVERY DAY and I never saw your post, I guess it was covered by the always flooded 5.7 beta thread..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
The main idea behind it wasn't saving the ratings, I still don't know, why I should rate my own music with stars from 1-5, if I would have music which only would get 1 star, I would simply delete it.
Haha I do that myself, in fact I do a quick listen to band/album I know it will have a couple of ugly songs just to delete it (I don´t want it to appear every time I drop the album on the PL..). But Write-to-file is still pretty useful still since I can transfer to my Android player (besides I use a 5 and 3 star system to highlight really-good-songs, former for english music and latter for spanish).

PS: I know is baffling to not have community response, I can´t believe there is so much people using winamp and so little willing to participate.. anyway, maybe you can post at the Skin Consortium´s forum too? And at Deviantart too.. I would go that way.. (I know you are doing US a favor with you program, but these are hard-strange days to Windows and PCs..)

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2013, 16:18   #242
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
The main idea behind it wasn't saving the ratings, I still don't know, why I should rate my own music with stars from 1-5, if I would have music which only would get 1 star, I would simply delete it.

Originally I made the tool for people who lost their whole library. The transfer mode was never planned, people started using the tool to transfer their settings. The only thing I did, was to make it a bit more easy for them.
I don't use the rating features for the songs in my collection either. If I did, they would all be 4 or 5 stars, so there's no point for me in explicitly rating them. Songs that I would rate less, don't make the 'cut'.

Those that DJ for parties, clubs, and internet radio, or otherwise use Winamp for more than personal enjoyment, make the most use of ratings. So it is necessary that Winamp provide robust support for ratings, imo.

Feature creep has been the downfall of many a great utility. Since you are doing this (and your other tools) by yourself, you should keep things at the level of a fun hobby and not let these tools take over your life (especially since you're giving them away), imo.

It is great that some users used their brain to figure out alternate uses, good for them. Nice that you were/are willing to help, but don't get dragged too far down that road.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2013, 19:34   #243
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Victhor:

thanks for your interest, here is a test version:

Link removed

Need to address some issues which were reported from lostinsound. I guess I can do this at the end of the week (still have one exam on Wednesday).
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2013, 06:13   #244
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

It´s working pretty cool, I didn´t test it in full, but it does the job, I tried running it with a couple of custom configs, it did fine so far, I´ll shout if anything goes wrong, tomorrow I´ll try it with my work´s machine.

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2013, 06:23   #245
Silat

Koopa hope you do well on your tests.
I am confused. Is the version on the 1 post in this thread current or are you close to releasing a new one?
Silat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2013, 18:56   #246
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Latest version which is the only 5.64+ compatible version is linked 2 postings above. The one one the first posting is old and not compatible with newer versions.
Old 29th June 2013, 20:41   #247
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

A short status update. I've finished the integrity check code. I'm now looking into a list of valid issues, which I thankfully got from lostinsound.

Once I have addressed all of his issues, I will release a public beta version.
Old 29th June 2013, 21:53   #248
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

A public 1.0.1 Beta is now available:

Quote:
1.0.1 Beta:

- added backup/restortation of Winamp Cloud database/log files
- added backup/restortation of Podcast subscription Backup Files
- added backup/restortation of MilkDrop2 Adapaters file
- added backup/restortation of extra large album art cache files (art_180.idx & art_180.data)
- added backup/restortation of Winamp Info Tool settings and reports
- added backup/restoration of more Online Services settings (omServices*.ini files, etc)
- added a backup version number to the Winamp_Backup_Integrity.winampbackup file
- merged all MilkDrop settings files to 'MilkDrop2 Core' files
- made tool won't restore backups, if the backup file does not fit the backup version number
- made tool removes empty dirs in restoration path
- updated backup/restoration method for newer SHOUTCast Source DSP plugin settings
- updated backup/restoration method for Media Libray playlists and setting file
- updated backup/restoration method for Album Art cache files
- updated backup/restoration method for media library views cache files
- updated backup/restoration method for podcast subscription files
- updated backup/restoration method for MilkDrop2 setting files (milk2.ini, milk2_img.ini & milk2_msg.ini)
- updated copyright to 2013
- updated backup/restoration method for Winamp Transcoders setting file
- removed backup/restoration for dead Winamp Orgler plugin settings
- increased minimal required Winamp Version to 5.6.4.3418
- fixed several minor backup/restoration bugs
First of all:

Big thanks to Aminifu and lostinsound for their testing and great feedback, without them, the tool would be dead. <3

This build hopefully should address any issue you guys have reported.

Notes:
  • This version will remove empty dirs from the restoration path as well now (this fixes a bug reported by lostinsound)
  • Note that the general backup version was increased to 2.0.
  • The integrity file now stores a version number, if the version number doesn't fit ( !="2"), you cannot restore/transfer your settings.
  • So you must create a new backup first. This was needed because of the huge amount of changes in Winamp 5.64+
  • If your backup is too old, the tool will provide a message.
  • I'll probably add a general cleanup of older backup dirs.

Otherwise it's fully updated for 5.64+, which is is the minimal required Winamp version as well now.

Note that this is still beta software, use it on your own risk.

An updated language file will be released when it has left beta status. The final version will have an installer again too.

Any feedback is welcome (and needed).

-Chris
Old 30th June 2013, 18:43   #249
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Koopa,

Version 1.0.1 Beta works flawlessly on my system (I don't use language packs).

I completely understand why the configuration settings for some of my 3rd party plug-ins are not included (they're not widely used). It would by nice to give those associated with thinktink's work some love, when you get time. They all start with "BP".

Old 30th June 2013, 19:43   #250
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

I'm glad that all is working for you.

Will look into these plugins and add them.

Can you list me the plugin name and config files?

I already have implemented:

BPEmbededArt.ini
BPOpus.ini
Old 30th June 2013, 20:04   #251
lostinsound

When I run it on a clean install it seems to back up everything fine, but when I try to restore it gives me the message that my backup is too old and won't restore. Even though I had just run it on the newest build of 5.64 (3418).

Here's what my integrity file says:

[Winamp Backup Tool]
Date=6/30/2013
Time=3:56:34 PM
Integrity=1
BackupVersion=1
WAVersion=5.6.4.3418
BTVersion=1.0.1.1401 Beta!

That is the latest build so I'm not sure why it's giving me that error. I even re-downloaded the latest installer just to make sure and the same thing happened.

Aminifu are you running it on the 5.7 beta?
lostinsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2013, 20:13   #252
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Sorry that was my bad.

I've uploaded a newer build 1405, which fixes the issue.
It wasn't writing the backup version correctly to the integrity file, when you create a new backup (used 1 instead of 2).

Change BackupVersion=1 to BackupVersion=2
Or run the backup mode again.

Thanks for your report and again sorry.
Old 30th June 2013, 20:42   #253
lostinsound

Hey that's no problem, thanks again for all your work on this. I tested the new build and it looks like it's working perfectly for me with all the issues I reported being fixed. Thanks!
lostinsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2013, 13:05   #254
Aminifu
Forum King

@lostinsound, Sorry my post yesterday was misleading. I should have said the backup was flawless. I did not check the restore feature this time. TBH, I only use Koopa's tool to backup. If I ever have to restore something, I intend to do it manually. I'm using the Winamp version listed in my signature, but the error you found would have occurred with the beta also.

@Koopa, I currently only use thinktink's albumart embedder, which you already have info for. I will PM him and ask that he provide the info on his other plug-ins.

Old 1st July 2013, 17:54   #255
thinktink
Forum King

Send a message via Skype™ to thinktink
Quote:
I'm glad that all is working for you.

Will look into these plugins and add them.

Can you list me the plugin name and config files?

I already have implemented:

BPEmbededArt.ini
BPOpus.ini
code:
BogProg Awake No Configuration
BogProg Clocker BPClocker.ini
BogProg DiskWrite BPDiskWrite.ini
BogProg KeepAlive No Configuration
BogProg LiveIn BPLiveIn.ini
BogProg LiveWire BPWLiveWire.ini
BogProg SamSend BPSamSend.ini
BogProg ThinkTink No Configuration
BogProg WebJockey BPWebJockey.ini (special note: Log files are stored in the Plugins folder of the Winamp install directory (BPWebJockey.log, BPWebJockey001.log - BPWebJockey010.log) and the "DB" files are stored inside an additional folder inside of %APPDATA%\Winamp\Plugins\BPWebJockeyPL\ and includes the files: BPWebJockeyOrigPL.txt, BPWebJockeyPL.txt, BPWebJockeyPlayedList.txt, BPWebJockeyRequestedList.txt, BPWebJockeyStopSetsProgram.txt, PlaylistHistory.txt, RequestHistory.txt, StopSetFileHistory.txt, StopSetItemHistory.txt)
BogProg X-Fade BPXFade.ini
BogProg ZeroPointer BPZeroPointer.ini
BogProg ZeroPointer Detector DSP No Configuration

[EDIT/]
Forgot WebJockey log files.
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2013, 19:24   #256
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Thanks, I will add them all.
Old 1st July 2013, 21:17   #257
DrO

am i reading thinktink's post correctly... the log files are going in %PROGRAMFILES%\Winamp\Plugins or is it %APPDATA%\Winamp\Plugins ? if the first (as i'm reading the post comments) then that's a problem on Vista and higher.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2013, 07:01   #258
thinktink
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
am i reading thinktink's post correctly...
Yes sir, you are, and I do realize that the current log file location is a bit of a problem on those OS listed. However, I've yet to find a complete solution that also handles multiple instances running from the same install and the conflicts that would invariably arise even if I do move them to the %APPDATA%\... folder. And since these are log files and not configuration files, I don't believe stuffing them into the %APPDATA%\... folder is appropriate anyways. Ideally they should be put into some kind of common log folder outside both the hidden %APPDATA%\... subfolders and the not-as-hidden %PROGRAMFILES%\... subfolder. I decided to delay moving those files until I find a better and more appropriate spot for them, the reasoning behind this is to reduce confusion for the user to the location of the log files between versions and to reduce the complexity involved with moving existing log files to an even newer location, whether it be with the plugin installer or the plugin itself or both.

Maybe I'm just thinking too hard but I'd rather not not plan ahead.
Old 2nd July 2013, 07:47   #259
DrO

but you've got conflicts already as is. i assume you mean multiple instances from additional copies of the plug-in dll in the plug-ins fiolder? if so then basing the log on the module name in some manner would achieve it (so if same as original DLL name do as is else pick an incrementing ident on the end, etc) though you then have to ask how common is it for it to be used in the setup you're thinking about. but not being multi-user friendly from the get go is not right for any plug-in by default nowadays (or even since Winamp 5.11 came out).
Old 2nd July 2013, 10:17   #260
ravermeister

Send a message via ICQ to ravermeister
what about using %TEMP% for logfiles?

EDIT: sorry I did't know that it is inside the user folder
ravermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2013, 10:23   #261
DrO

the folder aspect isn't the issue (even though it is but that's easy to be moved to wherever), it's the naming convention to avoid collision which is the issue for thinktink (assuming that multiple instances of the affected plug-ins is really something that needs to be dealt with).
Old 2nd July 2013, 15:54   #262
thinktink
Forum King

Quote:
(assuming that multiple instances of the affected plug-ins is really something that needs to be dealt with).
Thus far with my local setup (both for testing and my personal enjoyment) I've worked around it by having more than one install location of Winamp for each instance, however, this isn't always going to be the case for others who might want to run multiple instances of Winamp from the same folder to source streams with different content from the same machine. The current location doesn't resolve it but simply moving it to %APPDATA%\... won't either, it would only resolve the access permissions problem but then bury the log files in a normally hidden folder that's mainly purposed for configurations and user-application specific file storage not intended to be accessed by the end user.

At the moment, I believe leaving the log files where they are for now until I find an ultimate solution is, of course, not anywhere near ideal, but is better than forcing the user to go down the proverbial rabbit hole to retrieve them.

I may end up being forced to create a plugin specific logs folder at the root of the user's namespace (or in My Documents, yuk) with subfolders for different instances but I would need to work out a consistent naming convention to differentiate subfolders, which I would of had to do anyways with either %APPDATA%\... or %PROGRAMFILES%\..., narf.
Old 2nd July 2013, 16:16   #263
DrO

Winamp doesn't handle multiple instances from the same folder properly in the case you've described so your plug-in trying to deal with something the parent program doesn't bother to contend with is pointless (even though it can be dealt with as per my comments later on). as which ever Winamp instance gets to save things last is the settings that are used next time.

so personally i think it would be better to follow what was set for storing of settings since v5.11 (and is actually v2.9 when the API were introduced) and just not worry about multiple instances from the same folder as there's little you can really do about it.

and %APPDATA%\Winamp\<subfolder_if_wanted> is perfectly fine for storing log files, is what we've been doing when it's needed as it then doesn't mess up things when people use custom settings folders (as can be specified when Winamp runs). and if anything, that would be the easier way to go if you need to have multiple instances using the same Winamp program folder.

yes it's hidden by default on newer OSes but if someone needs to view it. it's not hard to do so or the plug-in needs to provide a UI method to open it for them (like we've done with the Cloud plug-in to access it's logs which end up as %APPDATA%\Winamp\Cloud\logs
Old 28th July 2013, 06:40   #264
thinktink
Forum King

Quote:
Winamp doesn't handle multiple instances from the same folder properly in the case you've described so your plug-in trying to deal with something the parent program doesn't bother to contend with is pointless (even though it can be dealt with as per my comments later on). as which ever Winamp instance gets to save things last is the settings that are used next time.

With this information I have no other choice then.

Just as an update, the next version of WebJockey will store the log files in %HOMEPATH%\My Documents\BogProg WebJockey Logs\[Name of folder current instance of Winamp.exe resides in]\ except in cases where the Winamp executable is run from the root of the drive (like a pen drive), then it will use the ./Plugins folder as before.

However, I don't recommend backing up the log files with the backup tool as the log files get large~ish (logs rotate automatically at 100KB or larger) and they are the responsibility of the user. You can if you really want to but I don't think its beneficial. And since it will now be completely outside both %PROGRAMFILES% (and %APPDATA%), I don't think its necessary.

Point of note, these logs are not error logs or config logs or any other kind of trouble-shooting logs (they do log certain errors but that's not their primary purpose.) Since WebJockey hides the metadata of StopSet items from the user/SHOUTcast DSP (advertisements/sweeps/what-not), the information from the logs (among other things) exist to supplement the w3c log files so that the user can figure out what was played and augment the w3c log files to enhance accuracy. How they integrate the information I leave as an exercise to the user.

Last edited by thinktink; 28th July 2013 at 06:41. Reason: spelling
Old 20th November 2013, 21:18   #265
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

There will be an updated final version soon, which is fully working with Winamp 5.66.
Old 21st November 2013, 23:13   #266
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Winamp Backup Tool has a new home:

http://koopa.meggamusic.co.uk/backuptool/

as for the Info Tool the site is still a work in progress and needs tweaks/fixes/additions.

More to come soon!
Old 21st November 2013, 23:55   #267
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I myself have already both Winamp Backup Tools on my harddrives, but I have just discovered, that only the download of the final version works and not yet the download of the beta version. I just wanted to tell that...

Oh, the next little typo:
"alllows you to transfer all your settings to another PC"...
with 3 "l" instead of 2...

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 00:02   #268
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Should be all fixed now, thanks again

U really should go to bed, hehe.

Don't forget, that there will be a newer final version soon, which will replace both versions on the website.
Old 22nd November 2013, 00:26   #269
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Woher weisst Du, dass ich zuwenig schlafe und immer zu spät ins Bett gehe? Ich mache sehr oft die Nacht durch und bin erst um 5:00 oder 7:00 früh im Bett, und zwischen 7:00 und 10:00 fangen die lauten Bauarbeiten in der Wohnung darüber wieder an, und ich kann nicht mehr schlafen. Auch Frank sagt immer: "Sabine, Du sollst nicht zuviel am PC sitzen!"...

Google will not be able to translate my text corretly, You are much better with the translations...

[Edit > Koopa]

Translation: How do you know, that I don't sleep enough and am always too late in bed? I'm often up all night and go to bed between 5:00am and 7:00am early in the morning. But between 7:00am and 10:00am the construction works in the flat above me begin and I cannot sleep because of that. Frank also always says: "Sabine, you shouldn't sit so much on the PC!"...

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 00:32   #270
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Das war eigentlich nur Spaß. Ich bin dir dankbar für deine Fehlermeldungen.

Ich werde deinen Text übersetzen, aber ich sollte selbst mal langsam ins Bett gehen.

English:

Was only meant as a joke. I'm thankful for all your reports.

I will translate your text, but I really should go to bed too.

PS: Aber wo dein Frank recht hat, da hat er recht
Old 30th November 2013, 09:02   #271
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Next version is almost complete, will send Pawel the source code so that he can make a code review.
Old 10th December 2013, 15:10   #272
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Winamp Backup Tool v1.1 RC1 available

Quote:
1.1 RC1:

- changed help button link to http://koopa.meggamusic.co.uk/backuptool
- made update prompt link opens http://koopa.meggamusic.co.uk/backuptool instead of Winamp.com
- improved 'Winamp Extras Pack' backup/restoration method
- improved 'Winamp Info Tool' report path detection code
- improved Skin path detection code
- increased minimal required Winamp Version to 5.6.6.3512
- increased Backup Version to 3.0
- fixed several minor bugs
- removed backup/restoration of Winamp Cloud database/log files
- updated English, German and Polish language files to v1.3
- [Installer/Core] new header images
- [Installer/Core] updated NSIS 2.46.5 (Unicode)
So here is it, the only version which is compatible with latest Winamp version.
The reason why I released the RC before I published the newer language file was, that I would get rid of the old 1.0/1.0.1 beta versions.

Many of Winamps settings changed their locations. Backup tool will write a backup version number to the integrity file now (v3.0 currently), if your integrity file does not fit that number, you cannot use restoration mode and a message will appear.

So to make it short, you must make a new backup, before you can use restoration mode.

An updated English example language file will follow in a bit.

-Chris
Old 11th December 2013, 03:11   #273
wernerml

Thanks!

Now it's luxury!!!
Thanks!
wernerml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2013, 01:33   #274
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

An updated English example file is now available on xlat and on my website:

Winamp Backup Tool English example file v1.3

If you have xlat access, you can upload it there, people without xlat access can send me the files via mail or upload it here.

wernerml:

I'm glad that you like it, at least I now know that someone is using the tool.
Old 15th December 2013, 02:23   #275
wernerml

What's gonna happen next friday (20) if this forum ends?
I suggest we start using the new one: Winamp Enthusiasts Forum
wernerml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 16:58   #276
patchel

When I try to download the latest version, Winamp Backup Tool v1.1 RC1, all I get is an error message.
patchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 17:12   #277
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

You can download latest version from:

http://koopa.meggamusic.co.uk/backuptool/

The download is just working fine for me.
Old 8th January 2014, 17:58   #278
patchel

I finally got the file after many tries.
patchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2014, 23:48   #279
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Just released v1.1.

Along with with updated language files, it now shares the same update file with the Info Tool.

Quote:
- changed server location of the update file to http://koopa.meggamusic.co.uk/downlo...ool_Update.ini
- [Installer] lots of visual improvements!
- [Installer] forced installer to always use the English license file (more flexible and more easy to maintain)
- [Installer/Core] several minor code improvements and smaller fixes
- [Installer/Core] updated copyright year
- [Installer/Core] updated Japanese, PortuguseBR, Romanian and Turkish language files to v1.3 (thanks to the translators!)
My apologies to the translators that I needed an age to finalize it.

-Chris
Old 10th May 2014, 21:40   #280
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

I'm trying to publish a v1.1.1 minor update within the next 2 days.

I've got a mail report, where a user wasn't able to use restoration mode, because his integrity file was lost when he moved the whole backup dir to another partition. (Windows does not copy hidden system files) and then tried to restore from this partition.

So I should make the whole integrity code more robust to prevent such scenarios in future. I also saw in the forums, that some people had issues because of the missing file.
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Tags
backup, database, library, lost, restoration, restore, settings