Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Old 6th August 2014, 20:53   #321
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Sorry, BT Alpha 5 has 1 flaw. The zipped IT reports are not included in the reports BT backs up.
Yeah wasn't implemented yet. I've added it for next build, thanks.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2014, 00:28   #322
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Winamp Backup Tool v2.0 Beta 6 (Build 1595) available

LINK REMOVED

WARNING: Do not use this for regular backups, use latest final version instead!!

Quote:
2.0 Beta 6:

- added backup/restoration of 'Mojo Master Visualizer' settings
- added backup/restoration of 'Multiple DSP' dsp plug-in settings
- added backup/restoration of 'Matrix Mixer' output plug-in settings
- fixed broken restoration for omBrowser.ini/omService*.ini files (old v1.x bug)
- removed internal backup of the backup tool settings

2.0 Beta 5:

- improved the zip creation handling if the target zip file cannot be updated (because it is currently opened with an external program)
- fixed wrong ini write handling with the Restore path
- fixed small glitch with 'Default' button for Backup path in restore mode
- fixed broken Winamp Pro data restoration

2.0 Beta 4:

- re-implemented the functions to remove empty folders from backup and restoration dirs
- moved Backup/Restore page, Mode selection page and update function code to separate scripts
- updated relevant GUI texts
- minor GUI tweaks

2.0 Beta 3:

- re-implemented the Winamp Backup File Integrity check
* backup mode will create a Winamp_Backup_Integrity.winampbackup file with the current backup version and adds it to your Backup zip archive
* the integrity file isn't a hidden system file anymore, like in v1.x (some people lost that file in the past, so this should not happen again)
* selecting a backup archive in restoration mode will excract the file to the Temp dir and verify the backup version
* if the file couldn't be found within the archive, backup tool will show a message, that the archive is no valid backup archive
* if the version in the integrity file is too old, backup tool will show you a warning message, that your backup file is too old

2.0 Beta 2:

- fixed that the 'Browse' button for backup path in restoration mode wasn't updating the path in some cases (using the button multiple times and selecting different zip files wasn't updating the path)
- fixed that the 'Default' button for backup path in restoration mode wasn't updating the path correctly, if the 'Browse' button was used before
- fixed incorrect backup/restoration path for Winamp_Info_Tool.ini

2.0 Beta 1:

- made that backup mode will write the name of the last generated backup archive to Winamp_Backup_Tool.ini
- made that restoration mode will unzip the backup archive to a "WinampRestoreTemp' folder in the user temp dir
- made that Backup path in restoration mode will accept zip files only
- made that Backup path in restoration mode automatically adds the path of your last generated zip file
- made that the tool will delete the "WinampRestoreTemp' dir, when the rerstoration was completed
- changed the 'Browse' button for Backup path in restoration mode to a file selection dialog which allows you to select zip files
- changed all internal paths for restoration mode, so that the tool always will restore the files from the unzipped "WinampRestoreTemp' folder
- changed the behavior of the 'Default' button for the Backup path in restoration mode:
* sets the path to the last generated backup archive, if available
* sets the path empty, if no backup archive is available
- added a warning message, if the 7za.exe couldn't be located on start
- improved zip update handling, if the user created a newer backup archive within the same day
- updated backup/restoration method for Winamp Info Tool report files
Things which need testing:

- Backup functionality in general
- Restoration functionality in general
- The complete GUI in general (buttons, boxes, checkboxes etc)

I spent a looooot of time and I hope that i have addressed most of the issues with restoration mode already.

So this is how both modes work now:

Backup:

- you can define a custom folder for your backups, or use the standard default folder
- Backup mode will backup all your files to a "WinampBackupTemp' folder in your TEMP dir
- it will created a Winamp_Backup-xx-xx-xxxx.zip file from the temp folder in your selected Winamp Backup Dir
- "WinampBackupTemp' folder will be deleted once zip compression was done
- the tool will write the name of the last used backup file (used for restoration mode)

Restoration:

- The backup path in restore mode will now accept zip files only
- you can select any backup archive via the 'Browse' button
- it will automatically add the path of the last generated backup zip archive file for you
- The zipped backup archive will be decompressed to a 'WinampRestoreTemp' dir in your TEMP folder on restoration
- It will restore the files from the temp folder
- 'WinampRestoreTemp' will be automatically deleted, once the job was done.

The main advantage of the new zip stuff is (along with smaller file size(s)) is that you can now have multiple backup files and choose between different backups.

So i hope you enjoy testing as much as me enjoyed it to code that stuff.

-Chris
Old 8th August 2014, 04:09   #323
Aminifu
Forum King

Version 2.0 Beta 1 is looking in the wrong place for the IT config file.

Edited quote from BT log (removed user profile name):
" Backing up: ''Winamp Info Tool'' Settings
No Action. Reason: No file(s) available for copying (C:\Users\***\AppData\Roaming\Winamp\Winamp_Info_Tool.ini) "

I'll test restore mode when I get home from work.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2014, 15:36   #324
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Just released beta 2.

I'm not sure, if I've worked around general NSIS glitches with the button fixes, there is an issue with updating text controls.

Nevertheless, the BT code should work fine for these buttons now.
Old 8th August 2014, 17:49   #325
Aminifu
Forum King

BT beta 2 finds the IT config file and I noticed 2 things that I need info on in order to know what to expect from restore mode.

Empty folders are created in the temp "WinampBackupTemp" folder for files (and folders) I don't have in my configuration. I assume this is a normal part of BT's processing. In the process status report that scrolls by during a backup, it states (near the end) that empty folders are removed before the archive is made. This does not seem to happen, since these empty folders are included in the archive. Will restore mode create empty folders that are not already in my existing Winamp folders?

Is the "plugin.ini" file supposed to be in 2 locations? My configuration only has it in one. Will restore mode place it in both locations? The following is quoted from the BT log:

" Backing up: 'Plugin.ini' Files
File C:\Users\***\AppData\Roaming\Winamp\Plugins\plugin.ini exists...
Verifying: C:\Users\***\AppData\Roaming\Winamp\Plugins
Backing up: C:\Users\***\AppData\Roaming\Winamp\Plugins\plugin.ini --> D:\AppData\Temp\WinampBackupTemp\Plugins\plugin.ini
No Action. Reason: No file(s) available for copying (C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp\Plugins\plugin.ini) "

Old 8th August 2014, 18:20   #326
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
Empty folders are created in the temp "WinampBackupTemp" folder for files (and folders) I don't have in my configuration. I assume this is a normal part of BT's processing. In the process status report that scrolls by during a backup, it states (near the end) that empty folders are removed before the archive is made. This does not seem to happen, since these empty folders are included in the archive. Will restore mode create empty folders that are not already in my existing Winamp folders?
There was a Windows XP issue, XP couldn't handle the write process correctly, if the target folder doesn't exists. We (me and Pawel) changed the code to ensure, that all files will be written.

The tool has 2 functions to remove these folders, one is called on backup mode, the second for restoration mode. I wasn't able to re-implement that function yet.

Quote:
Is the "plugin.ini" file supposed to be in 2 locations? My configuration only has it in one. Will restore mode place it in both locations? "
Yes, the plugin.ini is a common file used by some 3rd party plugins. Older plugins which do not support the multi user settings path will (always) write their config to a plugin.ini file in the Winamp\Plugins program dir. Other plugins which were updated for multi user paths will save their their settings in a plugin.ini file in your Winamp config dir (gen_yar for example).

So you can have 2 files in different locations, both are used for plugin settings.
That's one of the tricky things, which you cannot handle with a simple bat file. That is one of the advantages, the tool knows all these dependencies and handles them correctly.

If you look at the structure of the backup file, you can see, that there is a 'NonMultiUserFriendly' folder, which holds settings for old plugins, which always saved their settings in the program folder.

Quote:
to know what to expect from restore mode.
That restoration does what it should. Extract any user given zip file correctly and restore the files.
Old 8th August 2014, 19:06   #327
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
If you look at the structure of the backup file, you can see, that there is a 'NonMultiUserFriendly' folder, which holds settings for old plugins, which always saved their settings in the program folder.
For me, that folder is empty. I have 2 old plug-ins that save their settings in the program folder. BT does not recognize them, which is understandable since it can't handle everything.

Quote:
That restoration does what it should. Extract any user given zip file correctly and restore the files.
So in my case restoration should only add the single plugin.ini file back to the location BT got it from?

Old 8th August 2014, 20:43   #328
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
For me, that folder is empty.
If you don't have plugins (which BT can handle) which save their settings in the program folder, then it is normal.

Quote:
I have 2 old plug-ins that save their settings in the program folder. BT does not recognize them, which is understandable since it can't handle everything.
Lemme know the plugin names and where they save their settings and i will add them.

Quote:
So in my case restoration should only add the single plugin.ini file back to the location BT got it from?
If you only have plugins which save in one of the two possible locations, yes.

The only important thing you must be aware about is, that you can have 2 plugin.ini files in two different locations (depending on the 3rd party plugins you are using)
Old 8th August 2014, 23:59   #329
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Just released beta 3, which finally brings the integrity check back.

The check is basically the same like in 1.x, though there were some changes:

- some people lost their integrity file in the past, because they couldn't see it in Explorer (standard setting in Windows to hide system files) so the file does not get the hidden and system attributes anymore
- with the whole zip format, the archives are more portable than before, so loosing the file shouldn't be so easy like it was in the past.

If BT cannot extract a valid Winamp_Backup_Integrity.winampbackup file, it will show you a message that the selected archive is no valid backup archive.

That is the main check to prevent loading of zip files, which do not contain any backup data.

I hope this makes sense.
Old 9th August 2014, 01:22   #330
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

And Beta 4 should remove the empty dirs again.

But now I really need a small BT coding break.
Old 9th August 2014, 17:20   #331
Aminifu
Forum King

Beta 4's backup and restore modes mostly work very well. You deserve to take a coding break. The items listed below are minor and dealing with them can wait.

1) A partial BT config file is again being written to the users/appdata/winamp folder.

2) Winamp's Pro version's registry keys are backed up, but the restore mode does not seem to restore them. The following quote is from the restore log.

" Restoring: Winamp Pro Registration Data
No Action. Reason: No Winamp Pro data available (HKLM\Nullsoft\Winamp\regkey)
No Action. Reason: No Winamp Pro data available (HKLM\Nullsoft\Winamp\regname) "

3) The backup log is overwritten by the restore log since they share the same name. How about giving them different names?

Old 9th August 2014, 17:24   #332
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

1. Just saw this here now too when I updated Info Tool. I've fixed the wrong BT ini file in Winamp's config dir already, thanks.

2. Will have a look at the Pro stuff, I probably forgot to update something

3. The file is mainly for debugging only, will think about your suggestion.

So thanks for testing it, much appreciated.

What about your 3rd party plugins which are not supported?
Old 9th August 2014, 17:35   #333
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Just released Beta 5, which should fix Aminifu's issues. Thankfully these fixes were very simple.

The rest can wait a bit, now I really take a break, hehe.
Old 9th August 2014, 18:06   #334
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
What about your 3rd party plugins which are not supported?
1) Multiple DSP (dsp_multiple.dll). It's config file, "dsp_multiple_config.ini", is in the users/appdata/winamp folder.

2) Matrix Mixer (out_mixer.dll). It's config file, "out_mixer.ini", is in the users/appdata/winamp folder.

3) Mojo Master Visualizer (vis_MojoMaster.dll). It's config file, "MojoMaster.ini", is in the program plugins folder.

The others you need not concern yourself with. DrO will be adding native support for embedding artwork, so thinktink's plug-ins will not be needed going forward. Stereo Tool (a DSP plug-in) does not use any of the Winamp folders for it's config files. I assume the DrO plug-ins I'm using that will not be added to the native code will continue to use winamp.ini.

Old 9th August 2014, 19:18   #335
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
1. Just saw this here now too when I updated Info Tool. I've fixed the wrong BT ini file in Winamp's config dir already, thanks.

2. Will have a look at the Pro stuff, I probably forgot to update something
In Beta 5 item 1 (wrong BT ini file) is still not fixed, item 2 is fixed.

Old 9th August 2014, 20:34   #336
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
In Beta 5 item 1 (wrong BT ini file) is still not fixed, item 2 is fixed.
Can you tell me the contents of the ini file? I cannot find any code line, which points to the wrong location.

[Edit] Found it, that wasn't a wrong path for the ini handling, the bug is in the restore mode of the Backup Tool settings file, it's a bit funny, that the issue is related to the backup code, where the Backup tool restores it's own settings.

Will be fixed for next build, thanks.
Old 9th August 2014, 21:02   #337
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
... it's a bit funny, that the issue is related to the backup code, where the Backup tool restores it's own settings.
Yeah, back in the day when I was coding stuff like this it wasn't hard to end up with 'the dog chasing it's own tail'.

Old 10th August 2014, 07:08   #338
Aminifu
Forum King

There's a problem with restoring Online Services Settings and empty subfolders are added to my program and program plugins folders (these folders were not in the orginal configuration, maybe it's result of selecting a complete backup when I don't have some of the items in my configuration). Sorry I keep missing stuff comparing the folder contents to the log entries. I think (hope) these are the last issues. Looks to be a quick fix for Online Services Settings (switched folders). I have not tested the transfer mode. I'm hoping it is essentially the same as restore.

Hint: It would be a little easier to compare if there were separate backup and restore logs. But now I know to save them between runs.

Restore log quote:

" Restoring: Online Services Settings
No Action. Reason: No file(s) available for copying (D:\AppData\Temp\WinampRestoreTemp\Plugins\ombrowser\omService_*.ini)
No Action. Reason: No file(s) available for copying (D:\AppData\Temp\WinampRestoreTemp\Plugins\ml\omServices\omBrowser.ini) "

But in the backup log:

" Backing up: Online Services Settings
Creating directory was successful: D:\AppData\Temp\WinampBackupTemp\Plugins\ombrowser
File C:\Users\*\AppData\Roaming\Winamp\Plugins\ombrowser\omBrowser.ini exists...
Verifying: C:\Users\*\AppData\Roaming\Winamp\Plugins\ombrowser
Backing up: C:\Users\*\AppData\Roaming\Winamp\Plugins\ombrowser\omBrowser.ini --> D:\AppData\Temp\WinampBackupTemp\Plugins\ombrowser\omBrowser.ini
Creating directory was successful: D:\AppData\Temp\WinampBackupTemp\Plugins\ml\omServices
File C:\Users\*\AppData\Roaming\Winamp\Plugins\ml\omServices\omService_*.ini exists...
Verifying: C:\Users\*\AppData\Roaming\Winamp\Plugins\ml\omServices
Backing up: C:\Users\*\AppData\Roaming\Winamp\Plugins\ml\omServices\omService_{0000000710}.ini --> D:\AppData\Temp\WinampBackupTemp\Plugins\ml\omServices\omService_{0000000710}.ini
Backing up: C:\Users\*\AppData\Roaming\Winamp\Plugins\ml\omServices\omService_{0000000711}.ini --> D:\AppData\Temp\WinampBackupTemp\Plugins\ml\omServices\omService_{0000000711}.ini
Backing up: C:\Users\*\AppData\Roaming\Winamp\Plugins\ml\omServices\omService_{0000010101}.ini --> D:\AppData\Temp\WinampBackupTemp\Plugins\ml\omServices\omService_{0000010101}.ini
Backing up: C:\Users\*\AppData\Roaming\Winamp\Plugins\ml\omServices\omService_{0000010200}.ini --> D:\AppData\Temp\WinampBackupTemp\Plugins\ml\omServices\omService_{0000010200}.ini
Backing up: C:\Users\*\AppData\Roaming\Winamp\Plugins\ml\omServices\omService_{0000010500}.ini --> D:\AppData\Temp\WinampBackupTemp\Plugins\ml\omServices\omService_{0000010500}.ini
Backing up: C:\Users\*\AppData\Roaming\Winamp\Plugins\ml\omServices\omService_{0000011004}.ini --> D:\AppData\Temp\WinampBackupTemp\Plugins\ml\omServices\omService_{0000011004}.ini
Backing up: C:\Users\*\AppData\Roaming\Winamp\Plugins\ml\omServices\omService_{0000221836}.ini --> D:\AppData\Temp\WinampBackupTemp\Plugins\ml\omServices\omService_{0000221836}.ini
Backing up: C:\Users\*\AppData\Roaming\Winamp\Plugins\ml\omServices\omService_{0000222078}.ini --> D:\AppData\Temp\WinampBackupTemp\Plugins\ml\omServices\omService_{0000222078}.ini
Backing up: C:\Users\*\AppData\Roaming\Winamp\Plugins\ml\omServices\omService_{0000222151}.ini --> D:\AppData\Temp\WinampBackupTemp\Plugins\ml\omServices\omService_{0000222151}.ini "

Last edited by Aminifu; 10th August 2014 at 08:17.
Old 10th August 2014, 15:44   #339
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Nice catch, that bug must have been present since v 1.0.1 Beta.

I've fixed it now, thanks.
Old 10th August 2014, 15:53   #340
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Just released Beta 6: http://forums.winamp.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=345

Aminifu: I've added all 3rd party plugins you had suggested, I hope that all stuff works.
Old 10th August 2014, 16:31   #341
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Aminifu: I've added all 3rd party plugins you had suggested, I hope that all stuff works.
Well not quite, according to the backup log and what I can see in the archive.

1) You're backing up "vis_MojoMaster.dll" instead of "MojoMaster.ini".

2) You're using the same instructions for the 'Matrix Mixer' Output Plugin settings as for the 'Multiple DSP' DSP Plugin settings. The 'Multiple DSP' DSP Plugin settings are correct. The Matrix Mixer settings should be looking in the same folder, but for "out_mixer.ini".

Did you fix the bug that was writing some of the following folders to the Winamp program folders?

Removing empty folders...
Folder: D:\AppData\Temp\WinampBackupTemp\Toaster
Folder: D:\AppData\Temp\WinampBackupTemp\Plugins\avs
Folder: D:\AppData\Temp\WinampBackupTemp\Plugins\ColorThemes
Folder: D:\AppData\Temp\WinampBackupTemp\Plugins\DSP_SPS
Folder: D:\AppData\Temp\WinampBackupTemp\Plugins\in_ffsox
Folder: D:\AppData\Temp\WinampBackupTemp\Plugins\jtfe
Folder: D:\AppData\Temp\WinampBackupTemp\Plugins\Plugins
Folder: D:\AppData\Temp\WinampBackupTemp\Plugins\Tray_Control
Folder: D:\AppData\Temp\WinampBackupTemp\Plugins\Enhancer\017
Folder: D:\AppData\Temp\WinampBackupTemp\Plugins\Enhancer

Old 10th August 2014, 18:00   #342
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

1. fixed

2. fixed

3. The folders should be deleted at the end of backup/restoration, is that not the case on your system?

Uploaded Build 1595 which fixes 1. and 2.
I'm Sorry.
Old 10th August 2014, 18:45   #343
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
1. fixed

2. fixed

3. The folders should be deleted at the end of backup/restoration, is that not the case on your system?

Uploaded Build 1595 which fixes 1. and 2.
Nothing to be sorry about. You've been working hard for over a week straight on this and IT.

1. confirmed
2. confirmed
3. Maybe I'm using the tool wrong. I don't have the items associated with the folders that are being added to my Winamp program folder locations, but I'm selecting a complete backup which makes the tool search for them. Should I do a custom backup and exclude these items from the backup?

The empty folders being added are:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp\Toaster
C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp\Plugins\avs
C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp\Plugins\ColorThemes
C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp\Plugins\Tray_Control
C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp\Plugins\Enhancer
C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp\Plugins\Enhancer\017

There is something in the handling of these that is different than the other 4 in my previous post. I can attach a copy of the backup and restore logs for you to grab like before.

Old 11th August 2014, 01:24   #344
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

3. You don't use it wrong.

If you manually delete these folders are they present after you run restore mode again?
Old 11th August 2014, 03:44   #345
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
If you manually delete these folders are they present after you run restore mode again?
Yes they are.

I see in the restore log when they are created, along with 3 others created in the users/appdata/winamp folders. I also see when 5 empty folders in the users/appdata/winamp folders are removed. 2 that were already there (created by Winamp) and the 3 that were created by the BT. But the 6 empty folders created in the program folders are not removed.

I assume the 2 folders created by Winamp in the users/appdata/winamp folders will be created again if needed. But they should not have been removed because they were part of the existing structure.

Old 11th August 2014, 11:55   #346
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Koopa,

You may be getting tired of hearing from me and I'm getting tired of testing the BT (although I'm learning a lot). But since you directly asked me to test the latest version, I want to do a thorough job (instead of just testing the parts I have a personal interest in). So I've gone thru things 1 more time (line by line and file by file) and see 1 final thing to ask you about.

There are the following 3 folders in my configuration.

C:\Users\*\AppData\Roaming\Winamp\Plugins\ombrowser\
C:\Users\*\AppData\Roaming\Winamp\Plugins\ombrowser\cache
C:\Users\*\AppData\Roaming\Winamp\Plugins\ombrowser\cache\icons

The 1st folder contains 1 file, "omBrowser.ini". It is backed up and restored correctly.

The 2nd folder is empty and is ignored by the BT.

The 3rd folder is also ignored, but it contains 6 files. One of the files is named "cache.ini" and the other 5 are .png images (1 of which doesn't have the extension attached to it's name). I think these files were left behind by an unofficial online service I had tested and removed a few months ago, but I can't be sure. They may also be from an online service I removed (via a Winamp context menu command) that was once included in the Winamp installation pack.

My question is, is it OK for the BT to ignore these 2 subfolders?

Old 11th August 2014, 21:44   #347
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

I never saw an icons subfolde ron my system and I'm not too sure about the cache folder either.

I'm still working on a solution to prevent writing of these empty folders, I cannot reproduce it on my system, so it will be tricky.
Old 12th August 2014, 04:50   #348
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
I never saw an icons subfolde ron my system and I'm not too sure about the cache folder either.
They are not part of the official structure then and should not be needed for Winamp's normal base operations. I'll monitor this area and try to determine how they got there. For now, I'll move them to safe keeping and watch for if and when they return following a Winamp session.

Quote:
I'm still working on a solution to prevent writing of these empty folders, I cannot reproduce it on my system, so it will be tricky.
Take all the time you need. The major work has been successfully completed. A single archive file for the backup is a very worthwhile improvement, imo.

Having a few empty program folders after a restore will not hurt anything. If something needs to be added to the empty folders that were removed from the users/appdata/winamp folders, I'm pretty sure they will be recreated as needed.

Old 12th August 2014, 05:23   #349
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

I just reviewed the code for the empty folder removal and it makes sense that it doesn't work for the the program dir.

There is only a removal on the $RestoreDir_Path (that's usually the path where the Winamp settings are saved or defined in the restore page text field. So if the Winamp settings are saved in Appdata you have 2 folders, where files can be restored. If you don't use multi settings, you only have all stuff in the program folder (then the tool would do the job).

So it currently only does it for the Appdata folder (which should be the most used paths for most Winamp users these days).

I'm really not sure, if I should add code to remove empty dirs from Winamp's program dir, this would be the only solution I can think off. *shrugs*
Old 12th August 2014, 17:25   #350
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
So it currently only does it for the Appdata folder (which should be the most used paths for most Winamp users these days).

I'm really not sure, if I should add code to remove empty dirs from Winamp's program dir, this would be the only solution I can think off. *shrugs*
I'm not concerned about the removal of empty Winamp appdata folders. I just didn't expect empty folders that were in the preexisting structure would be removed. I'm sure they'll be recreated by Winamp (and/or 3rd party plug-ins) if and when needed to actually store any files.

Adding empty folders to the Winamp program folders doesn't cause any problems and some users will not even notice it. Also by doing a custom backup where I only selected what is actually in my configuration prevents their creation when doing the restoration.

You could think about changing the processing order so that program folders are not created if nothing is going to be put in them. Looking at the restore log, it appears that the folders are created first before looking for any files to put in them. That said, such a processing change is probably easier said than done.

In any event, you shouldn't worry about it and deem the current update of the BT a success. The important thing is that all selected data files that actually exist in a configuration (essential Winamp files and 3rd party files that the BT is designed to handle) are backed up into a single archive file and restored correctly.

It would be nice if someone using those features (Toaster, AVS, Enhancer, etc.) would also test the BT. I'm now confident it will work correctly for them too.

Old 12th August 2014, 19:37   #351
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Koopa,

I was right about the empty Winamp appdata folders being recreated as needed. Those subfolders of the omBrowser folder were also recreated when I used the internal browser. They are associated with online services.

As far as I'm concerned, everything is all good.

Old 13th August 2014, 23:13   #352
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Winamp Backup Tool v2.0 RC1 is now available:

Quote:
2.0 RC1:

- added backup/restoration for 'BogProg Support for Opus' input plug-in settings
- made that backup and restore mode create individual log files
- made that tool detects and imports old Backup folder created by Winamp Backup Tool v1.x
- made tool cleans up the old config/log files in Winamps settings dir
- lots of GUI tweaks and improvements
- updated English and German language files to v1.4
- [Installer] updated license file
- [Installer] added 'Winamp_Backup_Tool_Backup.log' and 'Winamp_Backup_Tool_Restoration.log' files to uninstaller
So the long testing period ends. I hope that RC is working good.

The updated English example file will be released when I reviewed it, I will inform you when I have published it here and on xlat.
Old 14th August 2014, 13:09   #353
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I want to suggest adding "former" or something similar instead of just removing the name.

Times change very often, people do something together, then they go their own ways. But special famous works have been done together, and then full credits should be given. I know that also from the music scene, where for some projects artists have worked together, before they continued solo.

It's only a suggestion. You will find a way...

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2014, 13:20   #354
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Even if I'm a bit surprised, I fully respect your wish.

I've changed the legal copyright and all links. You get full credits for your work in the license file.

I just want to point out, that without your great help, the tool wouldn't exist, so thanks for all what you have done for the tool.

-----
An updated English example file is now available on my website and on xlat.

If someone is testing the RC, please note that the checkbox on finish page which allows you to open the log file is broken. I forgot to update it when I split the log files for backup/restoration. That issue was already fixed for next build and there is no need to report it.
Old 14th August 2014, 17:10   #355
Aminifu
Forum King

Version 2.0.0.1608 works flawlessly doing a custom backup and restore of my configuration.

Old 14th August 2014, 18:48   #356
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
Version 2.0.0.1608 works flawlessly doing a custom backup and restore of my configuration.
Thanks for testing, you will get some special thanks in the license file or wherever I find some space.
Old 16th August 2014, 18:59   #357
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

v2.0 final is now available.

Download:

http://koopa.meggamusic.co.uk/backuptool

Changelog:

http://koopa.meggamusic.co.uk/backuptool/changelog.php

This is a major upgrade. Thanks for all who helped with testing etc.

I will compile newer final versions for language file updates.

-Chris
Old 22nd August 2014, 07:59   #358
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Uploaded 1612 as new final build. The only difference between 1610 and 1612 is an updated PortugueseBR language file.
Old 25th August 2014, 12:21   #359
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Koopa,

I finally took the time to read thru this whole thread. I'm sorry about saying I was getting tired of testing in post #369. What I've done is nothing compared to the work you've put into this project over the last 4.5 years.

I don't understand why this tool doesn't have a huge following. Maybe the recent article in "gHacks" will help publicize it. I'll sent Martin an email asking him to update his article to discuss the version 2 release.

1 question. Has the idea of adding command line support been dropped? Being able to run unattended regular backups via the Windows Task Scheduler (WTS) would be another big boost to it's usability. For now, I using the WTS to just start the BT weekly (at a time I'm usually at my computer) to remind me to do a backup.

Old 25th August 2014, 16:40   #360
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
related question: going back to the beginning of this thing, has the idea to do a tiny native plugin whose main job it is, is to remind users to run BT, (or automate it) been dropped forever? I think its the missing piece to wider spread usage.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Tags
backup, database, library, lost, restoration, restore, settings