Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Old 25th July 2013, 18:02   #361
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Sabine:

Are you using latest build already?

Batter Pudding:

The Program is written in/using Language Strings. All strings, English, German etc are coming from language files. So you could say, that it is language neutral, hehe.

You only need to change the lines which differ between US and GB, the advantage of this is, that you can use someone else work and don't have much own work.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2013, 20:19   #362
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

A quickie question to the Americans reading this. Please confirm that these are real typing errors in the US Language Pack. (I am using answers.com to check the US Spellinks so am pretty happy these are real typos)

* Check out the ABOUT dialog in the Info Tool. Is "infos" a word in US-English? I assume this should be "info" in both US and GB English? (Shorthand for "information")

* And what about "completley" in the same About \ Licence dialog box? Shouldn't that be "completely"?

* And "Miscellanous"? Should be "Miscellaneous"

* GEN_NOPRO "Lite'n Winamp Preferences" - not sure what the 'n is in there, so I guess this should be "Winamp Lite Preferences"?

N.B. The word "Lite" is one of those US Spellinks that we have got used to in the UK when referring to a cut down version of a program. So this is staying in the Brit English version.

* "Prefered" should be "Preferred".

@Koopa: there is a case inconstancy in a few TAGs. check out "LangString SHUFFLE_MODe" I guess the lower case "e" doesn't matter? (See also EQ_WINAMP_Bands, INSTALLED_WINAMP_SYS_Components, INSTALLED_WINAMP_DLL_Components )

Koopa: I could correct these US Language typos for you too if you like? Or is it easier for you to correct the above US Spellink errors?

Once the US Language file is updated I'll then knock out a GB version of it. (Comically there are actually more US Language typing errors than GB\US swaps)

Now just need to track down an Aussie, Canadian, etc to get them top translate the "English". Or, even more extreme, I'll get my Glaswegian mate to translate this. Glasgow, Scotland... it is a challenge for even us Brits to understand a word they are saying!
(Random example of Glaswegian with a bit of added booze: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k7VoFiagfs )

I love the way we all take a language and make it our own.

Hang on... what IS the correct term for someone from the US of A? "American" is surely too generic isn't it? A Canadian is also from North America. A Brazilian from South America. So anyone from either continent is surely "American"? Bit like the way a Kenyan is also African. Gah!! I should stay in Engineering... easier to make sense of it all.

Yeah, I know we get our own back on you with England\GB\UK\British Isles\etc...
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2013, 20:25   #363
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
The Program is written in/using Language Strings. All strings, English, German etc are coming from language files. So you could say, that it is language neutral, hehe.
I am trying to remember how I handled the US English \ GB English in the software I did for Compaq back in the previous century. I know I had language strings in use, but some how remember loading up British English as a default and the just "overlaying" the US changes. Which meant my US Language file was pretty small as it only covered the differences between the two different versions English.

I also assume I will change ALL the ${LANG_ENGLISH} to ${LANG_GB_ENGLISH} tags even though there will only be about six differences between the US and GB versions.
Old 25th July 2013, 21:33   #364
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I admit, the build was also that build, before I lost all software. I just want to be sure, that I will have no problems with a large library, if I use the newest build. I don't know, if 7629 items (295.41 GB) are large, but I will add also my artist-software again to the watched folders after reinstalling them (also because of the tutorials there), and then I will have nearly 20000 items...

I cannot leave the radio event now, but after that I will do the next backup before updating, in case I will have problems after the updating. I am glad, that Winamp is working until now...

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2013, 11:53   #365
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Batter Pudding:

If you want you can fix any typo etc in the original language file too. Note that Lite-n is DrO's own name.

As for the UK file, you can change all language selectors to ${LANG_GB_ENGLISH}

The good news is, that I have modified all things already and the tool is accepting language id 2057 now. I can add the file as soon as you have finished your work.

We only need to figure out, how we call it, the attachment shows one example.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gb.png
Views:	250
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	50727  
Old 26th July 2013, 12:14   #366
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

I am about to be incommunicado for a couple of days so I'll be back on Sunday with the typos fixed in the US English as well as the GB English file.

As to "what to call it", personally I'd follow the Microsoft OS standard. Which has English(United States) and English (United Kingdom) listed in the languages in the Localisation control panel.

(ARGH - which, of course, confuses the GB and UK bits again.... I'll check what DrO has done in the main Winamp. Would seem logical to follow that really... apart from the fact I am not sure where to look for DrO's GB Language Pack now... Have to pick this up again on Sunday....)
Old 13th August 2013, 01:58   #367
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

BP:

any status update? :P
Old 13th August 2013, 10:03   #368
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Sorry Koopa - drowned in work here. I'll get back to you once I have spare time.
Old 8th October 2013, 01:05   #369
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

4.2 Beta 2 is now avilable.

The new 'English - British' language file has the date format suggested by BP.

Quote:
4.2 Beta 2:
- added 'English - British' language file based on the original English language file (thanks Egg)
- fixed several glitches in English language file (thanks Egg)
- [HTML Generator] improved naming detection for Dro's Enhancer-, SNESAMP- & Waveform Wrapper
- [HTML Generator] added prelimary code to mark plugins which have known compatibility issues
- [HTML Generator] added naming detection for more 3rd party plugins
- [HTML/TXT Generator] added listing and version number detection of the legacy plugins (*.trb), if one of DrO's Wrappers is installed
- [HTML/TXT Generator] added detection of the 'CD-Ripping Destination Path'
- [HTML/TXT Generator] added detection of the 'CD-Ripping File Naming Sheme'
- [HTML/TXT Generator] added detection of the 'CD-Ripping Plalyist Naming Sheme'
- [HTML/TXT Generator] added detection of the 'Format Converter Destination Path'
- [HTML/TXT Generator] added detection of the 'Format Converter File Naming Sheme'
- [GUI, HTML/TXT Generator] fixed detection of DrO's 'Enhancer Wrapper' as currently used DSP Plugin
An updated example language file will made available soon.

-Chris
Old 11th October 2013, 03:26   #370
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

4.2 Beta 3 is now available:

Quote:
4.2 Beta 3:

- [HTML/TXT Generator] added detection of the 'Portable Players Destination Path'
- [HTML/TXT Generator] added detection of the 'Portable Players File Naming Sheme'
- [HTML/TXT Generator] fixed wrong default 'CD-Ripping Playlist Naming Scheme' (4.2 Beta 2 specific)
- [TXT Generator] fixed a couple of formatting issues
-Chris
Old 12th October 2013, 15:00   #371
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Koopa,

In the playback settings for Preamp (4.2 Beta 3), my report (both txt and html) says "+5,4" shouldn't it be "+5.4"?

The previous 4.2 versions do the same thing. I just noticed it.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2013, 16:03   #372
ryerman
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Hi Koopa,

In the playback settings for Preamp (4.2 Beta 3), my report (both txt and html) says "+5,4" shouldn't it be "+5.4"?

It's a cultural thing.
http://pages.citebite.com/v2u1l8d5o9dmk

Does Winamp have a "style guide"?

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2013, 17:52   #373
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
Hi Koopa,

The localization issue will be addressed for next build, thanks.

And ryerman is right, it depends, where you live. Most countries in Europe (except of GB I guess) use , instead of .
Old 13th October 2013, 02:10   #374
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryerman View Post
Does Winamp have a "style guide"?
that's the fuuniest thing I've seen asked in ages and I think my response answers your question.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2013, 03:17   #375
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
i'd like to suggest that some basic ML stats be reported. essentially the following:

total number of media files
total audio files
total video files
total format types, and what they are
# of files representing/under each format type

this would be helpful in the tool, so the troubleshooters wouldn't have to solicit the info. knowing how big a library is, and what formats are involved, can be a nice clue, or even key.
Quote:
A small library section with the file size of the database files and the amount of files in the database etc would be really useful.

I will look into it, but I'm using an external tool, so I'm not able to use Winamp APIs to catch these infos (same like with the old version number problem), I have to use an own NDE reader or somehting like this.

Will speak with DrO about it and try to work on it, but I make one thing clear, there is no ETA and it's also possible, that I cannot implement it.
maybe there is another way to do it outside of an API / DB read?

if the DB itself kept the stats, then as they changed they could be written out to an ini file somewhere. then the info tool would just report whats in the ini file.

the trick is getting the DB to keep the stats, (and write them out as they change) but that seems to be the kind of thing a DB would be good at.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2013, 17:44   #376
DrO

dumping things to an ini file is not a viable solution and is more prone to being wrong. to be reliable it has go be read from the db as you point out yourself - this is not a true db in how you seem to be expecting and so isn't like hitting a specific sql query as your comments imply.

either way, koopa and I have discussed what is needed to be done and is just a matter of time to do it but compared to other things, this is far less important than plug-in fixes and useabilty improvements in winamp as a whole.
Old 13th October 2013, 21:54   #377
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
ok, just an idea. I look forward to seeing what u guys work out.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2013, 09:02   #378
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

4.2 Beta 4 is now available:

Quote:
4.2 Beta 4:

- made that all info in 'Directories' tab will update/refresh when you click on a tab
- made Winamp Installation path detection code more flexible
- fixed a bug with the Winamp Config Dir detection, if an absolute path is present in paths.ini
- [GUI, HTML/TXT Generator] localized the decimal mark of the Preamp values
- [HTML/TXT Generator] added detection of Winamp Priority Class
- [HTML/TXT Generator] added detection if Winamp was set to run in Multiple Instances
- [HTML/TXT Generator] added detection if Winamp was set to be Always on Top
- [HTML/TXT Generator] added detection if Winamp was set to Recycle permanently deleted files
- [HTML/TXT Generator] updated internal list of first party plugins/components
- [HTML/TXT Generator] fixed detection of Winamp config dir, when the dir was changed, while the tool was still running
Changing the code to detect the installation path is a bit risky, but was needed.

I need some feedback, if all is still working.

And please do not recommend these beta to create reports. Please point people to the latest final version instead.

More to come soon..

-Chris
Old 10th November 2013, 17:08   #379
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi,

The string "Recycle permanently deleted files" does not end in a colon in the new General Settings section (txt report). Everything else is looking good.

I see that some of the 3rd party DLLs I'm using are not providing their version info. I'll try sending a note to the respective devs I can locate (not really expecting them to do anything, but can't hurt to ask).

I assume there is no easy way to get version info from a ".trb" file.

Old 10th November 2013, 23:00   #380
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Thanks for testing.

#1 Will be fixed for next version, thanks

#2 Yeah try it, maybe you get a reply, my attempts to contact 3rd party devs in the last years, were not very succcessful, hehe

#3. a .trb file is only a re-named .dll file.
Old 10th November 2013, 23:40   #381
DrO

Quote:
I assume there is no easy way to get version info from a ".trb" file.
Just needs me to update it once i've had a chance to update the wrapper for the plug-in as a whole.
Old 11th November 2013, 01:08   #382
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
#3. a .trb file is only a re-named .dll file.
Not according to a Google search. But that extension is not listed in my registry (so it's not associated with anything) and if DrO wants to use it and Winamp knows to read it, who am I to object.

Old 11th November 2013, 01:13   #383
DrO

in this case, .trb is short for 'trouble' and was part of my gen_ocide project to do some weird and wonderful things to other plug-ins in order to help fix up there issues but it never quite worked as wanted (though it's basis is what drives the wrapper plug-ins i've produced). hence 'trouble' being appropriate
Old 11th November 2013, 02:04   #384
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

4.2 Beta 5 is now available:

Quote:
- updated English, EnglishGB and German language files to v2.4
- [HTML/TXT Generator] added detection of Winamps Taskbar/Notification area presence
- [HTML/TXT Generator] added detection of visualization plug-in priority class
Will make the new English example file available for translators soon.

If no bugs will be reported, we are not far away from a new final release.

-Chris
Old 14th November 2013, 20:51   #385
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Uploaded build 3721 with the following changes:

Quote:
- [HTML/TXT Generator] added detection of User Name and permission group
- [HTML/TXT Generator] added detection if Winamp was set to prevent the mousewheel from altering the volume
Old 14th November 2013, 20:59   #386
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

What is the "User name" you are looking for? And what is the "permission group"?

Is that is the Windows PC username and permissions, then IMHO that may be a step too far.

If this is a Winamp Info Tool, why are you collecting data on the user of the computer? You need to be careful as that is going to take you towards Data Protection issues. Privacy is a thing that makes people jumpy.
Old 14th November 2013, 21:01   #387
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
Additional Info Required:

Also confirm whether you are setting up Winamp 5.65 (the only supported version) on an administrator account, or on a limited user profile. And, as from v5.2, whether you selected "shared settings for all users" or "separate settings per user" in the Multi-User Settings screen of the installer options {Update: 5.5x relevant info here}
Source: http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....161361#plugins

And the user name was already visible in the paths.

I don't list the full name or anything else, only the account name, which you can see in the configurations paths already. And I fail to see, why it's a problem to show if a user has administrator permissions or user permissions on the local machine, since that is one of the important info for tech support.

Nobody is forced to upload a report, but if the questions comes, if it's a user or and admin account, he must answer, otherwise nobody can help to resolve the problem.

I would at first try it, before I moan about something.
Old 14th November 2013, 21:26   #388
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Uploaded Build 3722, I've removed the name and only show the group.

Though, it makes no real sense, since nobody moaned about the paths in the past either. *shrugs*
Old 15th November 2013, 06:54   #389
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Koopa,

Build 3722 reports "User Permissions: User is in the Regular User group", but my local user account is an Administrator account and other than the disabled Guest and 'true' Administrator local system accounts, it is the only one on my computer (Win 7 64-bit).

The Belar Advisor Computer Profile Summary correctly indicates the account as "(admin)". How are you detecting this data? Maybe whatever you are reading is wrong on my computer.

As you said the name used for the local user account is listed as part of several of the paths in the Winamp Directories section. This name may or may not be the true name of the user (it's simply what was used for the account). I don't understand why it should not be used in the "User Permissions" data.

Last edited by Aminifu; 15th November 2013 at 08:03.
Old 15th November 2013, 10:01   #390
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Calm down Koopa. I did not "moan" about it. I asked a question. There is a difference.

Yes, I know the path has the username in it. And personally I edit that on the odd report I have uploaded to this public forum.

I was asking you why you needed that username? I couldn't see the relevance to your report. It was a simple question. I don't see how the username can ever effect Winamp.

Similar with the user's login level - administrator vs standard user. That doesn't matter to Winamp as both types of users still get a UAC prompt to change system settings.

I was asking why you needed this data so you didn't get people upset by gathering data that seems to be creeping outside of the needs of the diagnosis of Winamp issues.

Edit: I just re-read your reply up there. You quote a bit of the FAQ that asks about how Winamp was *installed*. Which user and what rights they had at that time. But your report can never work this out as the report will gather the information for the user who *runs* the tool. So will be misleading. That can easily be a different user to the one who logged in to install it. As well as the possibility that a user had been swapped from Standard to Administrator since login.

Your tool gathers a snapshot of "now". Whereas that FAQ item is a question about the time of install.
Old 15th November 2013, 12:36   #391
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Aminifu:

Will look a bit deeper why it isn't working for you correctly.

Quote:
Similar with the user's login level - administrator vs standard user. That doesn't matter to Winamp as both types of users still get a UAC prompt to change system settings.
If a user has no permissions to write to the registry, program folder etc is does matter, that's the reason why the thing is important and the info is requested in the sticky thread already.

Quote:
You quote a bit of the FAQ that asks about how Winamp was *installed*. Which user and what rights they had at that time. But your report can never work this out as the report will gather the information for the user who *runs* the tool.
Exactly and only for the user who is running the tool we get the whole report. I totally fail to see your point.
Old 15th November 2013, 16:22   #392
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Uploaded build 3730 with the following change:

Quote:
- [HTML/TXT Generator] added detection if UAC under Win7/Vista is enabled or disabled
It's a bit experimental.

WinXP:

- has no UAC, tool will always show disabled

Vista/7:

- tool will detect if UAC is enabled or disabled on these systems

Win8:

- as I know, UAC is always enabled, you cannot turn it off (correct me if I'm wrong), tool will always show enabled.
Old 15th November 2013, 16:24   #393
DrO

you can turn it off on all versions of Windows since Vista, though there's differing levels of UAC provided depending on the Windows version.
Old 15th November 2013, 16:26   #394
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Thanks for the info, need to run a Win8 VM and check things then.
Old 20th November 2013, 22:20   #395
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

I will finish work on 4.2 within the next few days.

Remember that you can always download my stuff from:

http://koopa.meggamusic.co.uk

the website will be updated and completed within the next few days too.
Old 21st November 2013, 00:22   #396
MarkRH

FYI, just ran the latest v4.2 Beta5 on my 5.66 installation which I just made. Here's my updated info: http://www.markheadrick.com/winamp-info.shtml

Had to tweak the HTML output to work with my site but it seems to work.
MarkRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 00:23   #397
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

MarkRH:

as a gift for you I will add an ini option, which allows to write no html header stuff.
Old 21st November 2013, 01:00   #398
MarkRH

Quote:
MarkRH:

as a gift for you I will add an ini option, which allows to write no html header stuff.
Cool.. I have to do other stuff like replacing all the align="right" and align="center" TD attributes with class="right" and class="center" (to over-ride my site's TD style). My personal suggestion would be to use style="text-align: right;" and style="text-align: center;" instead of the align= stuff. But, it's no biggie since I'm probably the only one that does what I do with the output and it's not like it's something I run everyday.

If you are going to add an ini option to not include the header stuff, don't include the closing body and html tags either.
MarkRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 01:09   #399
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Can you take a quick look at this:

http://www.meggamusic.co.uk/shup/138..._Info_Tool.exe

may need to refine it.

set

[HTML Report]
NoHeader=1

in your Winamp_Info_Tool.ini

For the align stuff I need some more time, but will do what i can.
Old 21st November 2013, 21:49   #400
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

I'm proud to present the new home of the tool:

http://koopa.meggamusic.co.uk/infotool/

It's still a work in progress, html code needs to be cleaned up and some things must be tweaked, though.
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Tags
html report, installed winamp version, plugin list, txt report, winamp build number, winamp info report