Old 3rd January 2012, 06:36   #1
nominalgrevious

Where is remove duplicate tracks

Just installed v 5.622 fresh, scanned external hard drive that has nearly all my music and computer's internal hard drive that has some of the music backed up. Now there are two copies of most of the files in the library.

Surely there is some "eliminate duplicated tracks from library" option that is for some reason buried. Where is it?

Eliminating duplicates from a playlist would also be fine, but I can't find that either.
nominalgrevious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2012, 06:42   #2
timewarptickers

Hi, apologies if you've checked here already, but... as far as removing duplicates from a playlist...

If you go to the playlist editor and click the "-" or "remove" button down at the bottom (at least, that's where it is on my bento skin -- i think that's where it is on most skins), there is an option that should say "Remove..." and if you hover over it, it brings up a submenu with the option to "Remove duplicate files."

I can't find the option to remove duplicates from the library, however... only a "Remove dead files" option.
timewarptickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2012, 07:11   #3
nominalgrevious

I see the "rem" button at the bottom, but no options for duplicates.

Here's what I'm looking at

http://i.imgur.com/r6daP.jpg
Old 3rd January 2012, 07:15   #4
timewarptickers

Ahhh, very sorry, the way I said only works in the Playlist Editor window (Alt + E)... surprised that option isn't there for playlists in the media library, though, but nowhere I can see.
timewarptickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2012, 07:35   #5
nominalgrevious

Whoa, that is strange.

Thank you very much.
Old 3rd January 2012, 08:51   #6
DrO

it's because when i added the remove duplicates feature to the JTFE plug-in, there was (and still is) no proper way of adding the feature in for library playlists. if that will ever change i do not know.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2012, 16:07   #7
nominalgrevious

So that only removes duplicate titles from playlists if they're duplicated from the library. It won't, for example, remove duplicates if they're in the form of two identical files on different hard drives.
Old 7th January 2012, 11:22   #8
DrO

it works against duplicate file entries, not duplicate files themselves as that was not what was wanted when the feature was added and doing that would just be too much for me to work on off my own back.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2012, 11:53   #9
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Here are my solutions to your problem...

If I understand correctly, your music collection is stored on the External Hard Drive and the "duplicates" are on the PC?

Preferences, Media Library, Local Media
Click on the Watch Folders tab.

Now delete the entry here for the local PC folders, keeping just the external hard drive.

Here is the tricky bit... locate the music folder on your PC and TEMPORARILY rename it or move it. The important thing is to make sure it is in a different location and "hidden" for a while.

Now in that Watch Folders page, tick the box that says "Automatically remove missing files"
And then do a rescan.

Winamp will now recheck all your folders for the music. It will now fail to find the hidden music on the PC and only catalogue your external hard drive. Your duplicates will disappear.

Once everything is happy, you may want to go back to the music folder on your PC and correct the name again or move if back from where you had hidden it.

The "Remove Missing Files" option checks to see if a file that Winamp has listed in the library is still in the same place on the hard disk. This is independent of the Watch Folders list. So it can remember music from all over the place that you may now not want to see.

Another quicker trick would be to use the SEARCH to do this clean-up manually. From the Library window, right click on the columns, select Customize Columns... and add the FILEPATH column. Now you can do a search like "C:\" and locate all of the music loading from the main PC instead of the hard drive. Do a CTRL+A to select all the tracks and then delete them.
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2017, 04:17   #10
samueljacob

Duplicate Files Deleter

Hello Goodday, I use a software called Duplicate Files Deleter, it's very easy to use and after it finds the duplicate files it lets you chose what you want to do with them (copy/delete/move). You can even check network files and you can check multiple paths in the same scan. This helps me alot. I hope you too.
samueljacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2017, 07:04   #11
peterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by nominalgrevious View Post
Just installed v 5.622 fresh, scanned external hard drive that has nearly all my music and computer's internal hard drive that has some of the music backed up. Now there are two copies of most of the files in the library.

Surely there is some "eliminate duplicated tracks from library" option that is for some reason buried. Where is it?

Eliminating duplicates from a playlist would also be fine, but I can't find that either.
If you want to locate it, why don't you try Duplicate Files Deleter? It will do a thorough search of your hard disk and find out the two or more duplicate files of the same file which may be stored at different locations. And besides, it will give you a comprehensive list of all those files and you can decide for yourself what you want to do with them. It's easy to use. Hope it will help you.
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Tags
duplicates, library, playlist, scanning