Old 9th June 2015, 15:23   #921
bronan

Funny all this people demanding new things, while i think winamp is one of the best programs out there. Sure i have had my fair share of problems with the plugins as well.
But i do not think a massive change at the looks of the programs will make it any better.
I hope the new owners have a good plan and keep alot of the good things winamp has or at least make sure i do not loose that what i like about the program.
some want allways new things but people like me want it to work well which is in my view has a bigger impact than looks. Look at m$ since win vista we got alot of versions and all kinda the same os with mostly a different look.
bronan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2015, 15:02   #922
Marlena13

Thanks guys a lot...This is awesome
Marlena13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 02:52   #923
dweeb234

I used to have WinAmp, used to use it all the time. Then version 3 came out, and it started have virus problems with videos. I deleted 3, and went back to Winamp 2.77 (full). Been using it ever since.

Would like to find the upgraded Winamp that doesn't cut the last character off of each meta tag field.

Didn't realize it's been on an 18 month hiatus. Anyone have version 2.78 or whatever the patch was for that glitch?
dweeb234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 03:33   #924
GorillaCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweeb234 View Post
I used to have WinAmp, used to use it all the time. Then version 3 came out, and it started have virus problems with videos. I deleted 3, and went back to Winamp 2.77 (full). Been using it ever since.

Would like to find the upgraded Winamp that doesn't cut the last character off of each meta tag field.

Didn't realize it's been on an 18 month hiatus. Anyone have version 2.78 or whatever the patch was for that glitch?
Looking for Winamp? Why not ver. 5.666? --> http://winampplugins.co.uk/Winamp/
It comes prepatched so no wories, and it's on the first page of the thread...http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....99#post2984799
GorillaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 03:34   #925
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
I suggest you try the latest patched version (http://winampplugins.co.uk/Winamp/).

If you only want the features from the 2.x versions, use the custom installation mode and only install those features. If you must use old versions, you can probably find them on the FileHippo web site (or other sites that archive old software). There is no official support for old versions. Use them at your own risk.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 03:38   #926
GorillaCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
I suggest you try the latest patched version (http://winampplugins.co.uk/Winamp/).

If you only want the features from the 2.x versions, use the custom installation mode and only install those features. If you must use old versions, you can probably find them on the FileHippo web site (or other sites that archive old software).
FileHippo only has 5.xxx versions
Old 11th June 2015, 06:01   #927
dweeb234

Is there a place that we know of, that gives the entire history of version numbers, and the main thing that they patched / upgraded?
dweeb234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 06:06   #928
musicf8

Send a message via AIM to musicf8
Quote:
Is there a place that we know of, that gives the entire history of version numbers, and the main thing that they patched / upgraded?
Well you can usually see the history of stuff in winamp all the way back to v5.0, but if you want to back further you can either install an older version or check out an archive version of winampheaven.net

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Current status of Winamp 5.8: 1/5/2017

Winamp v5.63 (used w/ ml_ipod) bumping through Windows 10 Pro w/ Logitech Z-5500
musicf8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 12:37   #929
DrO

Quote:
Didn't realize it's been on an 18 month hiatus.
is somewhat inconsequential when you're using a version that's from 14+ years ago

so just use the current patched Winamp (as noted by the others above), don't install what you don't need (which would be the whole library feature and modern skins and select the 'lite' install option) and that's a patched Winamp install which is equivalent of 2.x but with all of the fixes and improvements made to it in the time that you've been living in the dark ages of Winamp releases.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2015, 06:34   #930
Dr.Flay

Send a message via ICQ to Dr.Flay Send a message via AIM to Dr.Flay Send a message via MSN to Dr.Flay Send a message via Yahoo to Dr.Flay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr.Flay
Quote:
.... Then version 3 came out, and it started have virus problems with videos....
Eh? What kind of logic is that ?

If you had a virus, you had a virus. Going back to an earlier version of a piece of software will not remove a virus.

I can't say I've ever had a problem with Winamp cutting the last letter from tags in any of the versions I have tagged with.

Mashups ? Smells like a lot of "Fishy Business" to me.
Visit my label at www.last.fm/label/Fishy+Business for musical education.
Dr.Flay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2015, 00:19   #931
Raj_09

Quote:

A virus running Winamp? I have had it for years and never had any such occurrence. Even the version 2 and below. The virus problems will have to do with the website you source your vids. Never had any problem with Winamp cutting the last character off either. Get the latest patched version 5.666 dude

Powering through with the bolt
Raj_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2015, 01:39   #932
DrO

or it was OpenCandy (*) in the installer... or that a number of anti-virus software often flags NSIS installers as viruses when it's not (which would have been much more of an issue back in the Winamp3 era).

(*) dropping that from the 5.66x installers was one of the only good things in stopping Winamp.
Old 14th June 2015, 21:33   #933
ZiggiZag

Winamp -> StereoTool -> Windows 10 IoT

I would love to see Winamp as an Windows universal application capable of running on Windows 10 IoT on Rasperry Pi 2 B serving as main mediacenter software, capable of playing common video formats in 1080p resolution including subtitling and through HiFiBerry Dac and StereoTools audiophile-level FLAC and APE audio files in 24/94 format.
ZiggiZag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2015, 21:43   #934
musicf8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggiZag View Post
I would love to see Winamp as an Windows universal application capable of running on Windows 10 IoT on Rasperry Pi 2 B serving as main mediacenter software, capable of playing common video formats in 1080p resolution including subtitling and through HiFiBerry Dac and StereoTools audiophile-level FLAC and APE audio files in 24/94 format.
i'm for this, though I believe it should be focused on music, less video. This would be a great chance for Winamp to provide an application that exceeds the "music app" much like how winamp did it back in the day versus wmp

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Winamp v5.63 (used w/ ml_ipod) bumping through Windows 10 Pro w/ Logitech Z-5500
Old 14th June 2015, 21:44   #935
DrO

if Winamp became a universal app, I'm pretty certain that you'd loose all plug-in functionality (not that even if plug-ins could work would they be portable from the existing Windows version to a universal app implementation anyway as they'd have to be changed to work in that sort of system).

though Winamp was never all that great at video and audio is it's strength, which somewhat goes against what you're asking for.

and Windows 10 IoT has a completely different way of providing a UI which Winamp as-is doesn't fit in with, so you'd also have the pain from writing a new UI (i.e. think that all existing skins would not work).

so a nice idea if Winamp was more of a background audio service rather than a user-facing app (as it basically is).
Old 14th June 2015, 21:56   #936
musicf8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
if Winamp became a universal app, I'm pretty certain that you'd loose all plug-in functionality (not that even if plug-ins could work would they be portable from the existing Windows version to a universal app implementation anyway as they'd have to be changed to work in that sort of system).
True, but it might be a nice adventure to go on, similar to how you guys made an android app. This could open up a new market on possibly having an app that works on both windows and windows phone.

But i'm just making assumptions, I know DrO has a much better view of Winamp's future than me haha.

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Old 14th June 2015, 22:05   #937
DrO

WAFA is the best analogy to the universal app suggestion and unless the devs resposible implemented things into it, you pretty much are stuck with just what you get (which was a common issue I remember seeing made against WAFA because it couldn't be expanded like the desktop, but that's more an issue of people's perceptions of what 'Winamp' should do).

related to the suggestion, the coming demise of the Skype app for desktop (going back to pushing the dedicated 'classic desktop' version), I think that speaks volumes for anyone making a decision about what to do regarding Windows program development in that there's still life left in developing for 'classic desktop' (which is what Winamp for Windows falls under, even if it'd need to be pulled kicking and screaming somehow into the modern world and not cling the 90's skinned UI ways that adorn it).
Old 15th June 2015, 16:19   #938
Thermaltake

I really liked that auto-tag it was usefull few times, any chance that thing can be installed some how again ?
Thermaltake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2015, 16:22   #939
musicf8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermaltake View Post
I really liked that auto-tag it was usefull few times, any chance that thing can be installed some how again ?
Have you tried installing an older version of Winamp?

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Old 15th June 2015, 17:21   #940
DrO

doing that won't work as the service it accessed blocks the feature from Winamp clients (irrespective of the version).
Old 20th June 2015, 14:57   #941
ampshout

future development

I disagree with you DrO and anyone else with the same opinion.

Asking if the project is still active or when the next update will be, are completely legitimate questions!

The fact that Winamp still works is it did for the last few years doesn't mean it shouldn't look better, have more features, more format support, etc..

Additionally hoping for and asking for a newer version of Winamp should not get the response 'Go use another product' there's not really a helpful response is it? The reason that person asked is because they want to continue using Winamp well into the future.

Personally I've used it for the last 15 years and I still love it but hate seeing projects completely die off in terms of development when told there was going to be a new spark to push things forward... such is life though :P
ampshout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2015, 18:01   #942
DrO

well that's your view point and whatever one of my posts you're referring to is my view point (which if I've said to use something else is based on comments made at that time against specific cases). and really it's no more different than other users telling others to use Poweramp instead of WAFA whilst still using the desktop version of Winamp.

personally I don't think its wrong to say if its not the right solution for a specific individuals needs to suggest alternatives and I've been very open in that view point for over 12 years on these forums. not that my own views on Winamp's future matter anyway so you can probably just ignore this reply
Old 21st June 2015, 18:45   #943
blooflame

I am going to download 5.666 but I do wish we had some idea of the Radionomy progress on updating Winamp to remove the stuff they need to remove. I haven't seen it (yet), still looking for it.
blooflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2015, 20:14   #944
DJ Sippi Real

yes it looks very weird, but how can I download the software when every time I try it take me to the forms ???
DJ Sippi Real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2015, 20:24   #945
DrO

which shows you the download link in the 'see also' block (so not at all hard to see, though i've made it more obvious in the upper body of the text).
Old 27th June 2015, 16:44   #946
JeffreyChao284

Another thing is will Winamp also continue supporting the Android version knowing that there needs to be a few features added on "Protected Phones" due to some settings are not accessible, which in turn Security programs like Samsung KNOX blocks much of the User Settings while some apps are able to access those parts, and that I know the key issue seems to be music Stuttering and need for higher Priority on the CPU just like on like the Windows version so that it won't stutter, also allow Buffer Changes to the memory card to smoothly add better playback, just my 2 cents on it.
JeffreyChao284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2015, 17:06   #947
fll7jkh

So great to hear that Winamp will continue into the future. Thanks so much for your hard work in making that happen guys!! It is and always has been the best player. Fingers and toes crossed for a normalisation function in the newly revamped release
fll7jkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2015, 21:39   #948
ribonucleic

I don't need any new features. Hell, I don't need half of the existing ones. If they could just deliver a version 6 compatible with Windows 10, I'd feel reassured that I could still use the program for the foreseeable future. As things stand, one wrong "improvement" from Microsoft is all that stands between us and a dystopian Winamp-less future.
ribonucleic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2015, 03:53   #949
GorillaCat

Someone awhile ago posted that Winamp worked on the Windows 10 beta, not sure how in depth their test was but I can assume it was at least functional. I'm unsure if that changed with the beta releases there after.
Old 3rd July 2015, 04:01   #950
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to garetjax Send a message via AIM to garetjax Send a message via MSN to garetjax Send a message via Yahoo to garetjax
That would be me; it works pretty damn well actually and has no significant issues.

1001skins |
That's not a skin, it's some god awful piece of skinner gunk. - Mr. Jones
garetjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2015, 04:08   #951
GorillaCat

Cool. Just wondering, did you use the cpro skin engine and see if it worked?
Old 3rd July 2015, 15:03   #952
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to garetjax Send a message via AIM to garetjax Send a message via MSN to garetjax Send a message via Yahoo to garetjax
I did not have any problems with any skin...including c pro2.

1001skins |
Old 3rd July 2015, 15:21   #953
GorillaCat

Thanks for the reply, it's nice to see people contributing to the tread other than the "WE WANT IT NAO" clan and a bunch of juniors like me.

My guess is that Windows 10 will be great and Winamp will make it better
Old 4th July 2015, 22:37   #954
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

I've tested again Winamp v5.66 x86
  • CPRO Skins - Good
  • Classic Skins - Good
  • Modern Skins - Good
  • WMC Skins - Good

Current resource usage on Windows 10 - Build 10136.71
  • CPU - .4%
  • Memory - 8.0MB
  • Disk - 1.4MB/s
  • Network - 0.0%
  • CPU Utilization - ISOLATED .2%
  • Speed 3.68 GHz
  • Processes 1 - 23 Threads +/- 10%
  • Handles - 88k
  • Application Uptime - 4:11:15:1

1001skins |
Old 4th July 2015, 23:17   #955
GorillaCat

Old 4th July 2015, 23:44   #956
Aminifu
Forum King

Bypass Windows 10 Build 10158 (http://www.ghacks.net/2015/07/03/win...svc-directory/)

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2015, 23:49   #957
DrO

people should be getting build 10162 anyway. and the only issues you'd expect to see with Winamp on Windows 10 are the same as seen when Windows 8.x depending on if there's anything changed with file registration / OS integration (which for the main parts I don't believe Windows 10 has changed compared to Windows 8.x).
Old 6th July 2015, 07:48   #958
mynameisGoodenou

Does anyone know if WinAmp will still offer the Internet TV feature? Used to love whiling away afternoons on that baby !

I'm waiting on delivery of my new Windows computer (switched to Apple for a few years, but now I've seen the light again !) and I'm already getting nostalgic and excited about using Winamp again. Trippy skins are my thing
mynameisGoodenou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2015, 11:53   #959
DrO

that was dropped from SHOUTcast a while before the sale (lack of content and usage led to that decision) and I'd highly doubt you'll see it back. playback support still exists in the current Winamp version but there's no discovery option which is the bit you're seemingly referring to.
Old 7th July 2015, 10:49   #960
mynameisGoodenou

That's a shame. Yep, the discovery option was the one I was referring to. So much fun ! Oh well.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.
mynameisGoodenou is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion