Old 9th January 2016, 04:00   #1361
cybersaga

Kudos DJ Egg.

I'm 18 months into a 6-month software project myself. I can understand how it is. And my stuff is just .NET business app stuff. Nothing near as low-level as sound processing (which I've always been fascinated by, just never had the time/reason to learn).

-~cybersaga~-
cybersaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2016, 14:12   #1362
kzuse

Send a message via ICQ to kzuse Send a message via Skype™ to kzuse
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg
JTFE was DrO's personal project/plug-in (as was UnicodeTaskbarFix.w5s) and, as requested/specified, we can no longer include it with the Winamp distribution.... so there's another major issue which will need addressing....
Really??? How could it get that far? I mean, he released this also separately as freeware. And he must have signed some "agreement" with you that you can include it in the official builds. So why does this agreement suddenly become invalid only because he leaves? What's his benefit of not allowing you to include JTFE? I don't understand anything anymore, it's so sad.

I was a JTFE heavy-user. Especially the queue list. Very useful if you have large playlists in shuffle mode but want to listen to two or three tracks spontaneusly in the "right" order...

I just wait and see, and just only hope everything gets well soon...

Thanks to all who want to save and rescue Winamp from all these difficulties!! Thanks DJ Egg!
kzuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2016, 19:39   #1363
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

@kzuse

these were DrO's plugins, he provided them thankfully over the years. If he has decided to remove them it's up to him. There is nothing anyone could do about and we simply should respect that.

I will miss the plugin as well, because Winamp without queue feature is....also the icon stuff provided by JTFE is an essential feature.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2016, 19:49   #1364
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
.. We can no longer include it with the Winamp distribution.... so there's another major issue which will need addressing....
Looks to me like it'll be sorted out eventually, JTFE is really a big part of Winamp so I'm confident some native replacement will be developed. It'll just take more time than expected.. (but hopefully, without SHOUTcast in the middle and from the hand of a more resourceful owner, things will get faster than previous years..)

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2016, 01:14   #1365
AndreWinamp

The idea of paying for Winamp is easy for you? I mean, after so many problems Winamp has faced, I feel like I'd happily pay my license...
AndreWinamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2016, 14:54   #1366
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

We have to learn living also without JTFE, if necessary...

Recently I was on the playlist and I scrolled directly to the song, then I double-clicked it directly in the playlist. Also this method works, and I had to use it for very new screenshots of Komodo Vanguard, which I made on 24th & 26th December. They are not on deviantART yet.

Also I myself believe, that some native replacement will be developed some day...

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2016, 19:27   #1367
ravermeister

Send a message via ICQ to ravermeister
Thanks Egg for the Update, I can wait. I know Dr.O has done strange things in the past,
and I never liked him very much as his "voice" here was sometimes disproportionate.
So better waiting than relying on a stupid guy

Keep up the great work Nullsoft!!!!!!
ravermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2016, 19:32   #1368
musicf8

Send a message via AIM to musicf8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravermeister View Post
and I never liked him very much as his "voice" here was sometimes disproportionate.
I dunno, I was kind of entertained by his responses to some people

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Current status of Winamp 5.8: 1/5/2017

Winamp v5.63 (used w/ ml_ipod) bumping through Windows 10 Pro w/ Logitech Z-5500
musicf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 19:02   #1369
ampshout

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersaga View Post
Kudos DJ Egg.

I'm 18 months into a 6-month software project myself. I can understand how it is. And my stuff is just .NET business app stuff. Nothing near as low-level as sound processing (which I've always been fascinated by, just never had the time/reason to learn).
How do these projects end up taking so freaking long?

I've seen some coders pop out new versions with a reasonable amount of new features in sometimes as little as days or weeks!

Would you not go out of business if it took so long to develop a small piece of software?

How do other firms do it who have incredibly fast (relatively bug free) release schedules?

is it just adding more coders? If so why not just hire some people?

In essence I never understood how there is a justification to literally stop producing new versions when the software is your actual main product that generates paid income based on the features (new and old) and improvements you make!

of course I speak as an outsider to coding firms so apologies for misunderstanding certain realities/obstacles that might exist.
ampshout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 19:17   #1370
musicf8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampshout View Post
<snip>
I think the better question is why haven't you been reading the posts in this thread, it has been explained a few times as to why development has taken so long.

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Winamp v5.63 (used w/ ml_ipod) bumping through Windows 10 Pro w/ Logitech Z-5500
Old 15th January 2016, 14:01   #1371
cybersaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampshout View Post
How do these projects end up taking so freaking long?

I've seen some coders pop out new versions with a reasonable amount of new features in sometimes as little as days or weeks!

Would you not go out of business if it took so long to develop a small piece of software?

How do other firms do it who have incredibly fast (relatively bug free) release schedules?

is it just adding more coders? If so why not just hire some people?

In essence I never understood how there is a justification to literally stop producing new versions when the software is your actual main product that generates paid income based on the features (new and old) and improvements you make!

of course I speak as an outsider to coding firms so apologies for misunderstanding certain realities/obstacles that might exist.
It depends on a lot of factors, like what kind of project it is. High-level programming, like an accounting application, is much easier to throw developers at. Low-level stuff like sound processing and embedded programming, is much harder to. C/C++ is quite difficult to read and understand what the author was trying to do.

My uncle works for a company doing embedded programming in C for household appliances. He told me once that when their company buys a design from another company, it's easier to throw out the code and rewrite it from scratch than try to read the old code they were given.

There's a lot of knowledge that's in the developer's head that is next to impossible to transfer to someone else unless they were involved in the development the whole time.

If they had a team of 10 developers all actively involved from the beginning, reviewing each others code all along, then yeah, they could pump out new updates in no time. But at this point, throwing new people at the project isn't going to make it go any faster (at least not in the short term).

That's my take anyway.

-~cybersaga~-
cybersaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2016, 16:34   #1372
ryerman
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersaga View Post
But at this point, throwing new people at the project isn't going to make it go any faster (at least not in the short term).
And doing nothing for a year, which is what Radionomy did with Winamp, didn't speed things up.
Radionomy makes the AOL ownership seem like the "golden years" of development.

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2016, 17:43   #1373
musicf8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryerman View Post
Radionomy makes the AOL ownership seem like the "golden years" of development.
I have to disagree in that part. I would consider the AOL ownership as mostly being more the "Maintenance years" at least from mid 2000's and beyond. The first 5 years of Winamp development definitely were the golden years.

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Old 15th January 2016, 18:20   #1374
ryerman
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicf8 View Post
The first 5 years of Winamp development definitely were the golden years.
I think you've missed my point.
I'm not saying any particular time was the "golden years" of Winamp development. I don't care when that was or even if such a time existed.

These forums contain lots of trash-talk about how AOL "ruined" Winamp.
Now I'm criticizing Radionomy (trash-talking, if you like) for their inactivity and lack of committment to Winamp development.

And notice I say Radionomy (the mysterious "Radionomy Team"), not any individual.

Old 15th January 2016, 18:54   #1375
musicf8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryerman View Post
I think you've missed my point.
I'm not saying any particular time was the "golden years" of Winamp development. I don't care when that was or even if such a time existed.

These forums contain lots of trash-talk about how AOL "ruined" Winamp.
Now I'm criticizing Radionomy (trash-talking, if you like) for their inactivity and lack of committment to Winamp development.

And notice I say Radionomy (the mysterious "Radionomy Team"), not any individual.
I get what you are saying, and i do completely agree that Radionomy is dropping the ball on Winamp development, but you have to remember that if it wasn't for Radionomy, then Winamp would be done, over, abandonware.

It is obvious that the primary reason for the purchase of nullsoft was for shoutcast but they could have just shut down winamp completely as well.

I know a lot of fans (me included) are getting annoyed with their broken promises about a new release (since they promised one every year), but how important is a new release? Is it because of bug fixes, new features, or just knowing it's being maintained?

Lets face it, Winamp is now in it's 3rd phase of its life, just be glad there is a 3rd phase, even though they're practically dragging their feet. It's not dead though, and for the past 12 or so years, up until the sale to Radionomy, development of winamp in itself has been slowing down. Now it's pretty much on a pause due to no development team.

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Old 18th January 2016, 08:50   #1376
djpete
Major Dude

i retract my comment re Radionomy Team. I didn't literally mean it that way, meant it in an encouraging way!..bad choice of words. :-)

Cheers, Pete

Anything & Everything Winamp - All In One Place...
Winamp Enthusiasts Group
djpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2016, 13:22   #1377
altae

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpete View Post
plenty of news. try reading a few posts before this
Yeah, plenty of news saying that nobody knows anything and nobody is able to tell anything about Winamp's future. Lot's of excuses and explanations why nothing has been achieved so far.

Well to me that is how projects die. They drag on... until someone says something like: "Let's give it up, it makes no sense". Then everybody else involved joins in with great relieve and together they "bury" the project.

Don't get this wrong, I do appreciate everything that has been done to save Winamp. But now it seems like it's about time to face the fact that there will probably be no more Winamp development. In my career I've seen far too many well meant projects that dragged on without real results and were abandoned in the end. What's currently happening with Winamp just resembles perfectly that pattern.
altae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2016, 13:34   #1378
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

@altae

Please refer to my last 3 main posts in this thread which were to inform everyone that Winamp is far from dead and is still being worked on
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....44#post3033444
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....18#post3045418
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....74#post3045974

There's plenty of information in those 3 posts which contradicts your assertions :--)
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2016, 19:05   #1379
tsunami

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
@altae

Please refer to my last 3 main posts in this thread which were to inform everyone that Winamp is far from dead and is still being worked on
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....44#post3033444
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....18#post3045418
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....74#post3045974

There's plenty of information in those 3 posts which contradicts your assertions :--)
should really update the the first post with this stuff it just gets lost when you put it at the end
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2016, 19:16   #1380
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami View Post
should really update the the first post with this stuff it just gets lost when you put it at the end
Done :-)
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2016, 02:38   #1381
M3wThr33

Send a message via ICQ to M3wThr33 Send a message via AIM to M3wThr33 Send a message via Yahoo to M3wThr33
Cherry-picking commits from developers no longer on the project is always rough.

If we outlawed pianos, only outlaws would be pianists.
M3wThr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2016, 11:59   #1382
djpete
Major Dude

Maybe Winamp can move forward in other ways eg working on quality plugins rather than touching the basic core which is sound?
This sounds promising to me and maybe will inspire other plugin developers..

http://getwinamp.com/blog/index.php/...5/so-what-now/

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 26th January 2016, 23:22   #1383
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpete View Post
Maybe Winamp can move forward in other ways eg working on quality plugins rather than touching the basic core which is sound?
This sounds promising to me and maybe will inspire other plugin developers..

http://getwinamp.com/blog/index.php/...5/so-what-now/
Sounds like DrO is back in plug-in development, that is great news! Productive as he is, this is totally good news, I'm glad for him (and for Winamp of course heh). Hope he gets enough support to invest the time and effort it demands..

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2016, 23:28   #1384
djpete
Major Dude

this is so important I am going to post a sep thread so it doesn't get buried..

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 31st January 2016, 12:53   #1385
SoxmisUK

Love to see a video of all that working together! I was introduced to Winamp during the days of windows 98! So it's been with me a long time too, I have often tinkered with it in many ways and used it at a couple of big house parties over the New Year entertaining friends and family and half the street passing by.. !

I hope it remains s functional for you in it's newer form. I hope this for myself too.
SoxmisUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2016, 13:31   #1386
thebane

Thank u very much. We are using Winamp since many years and only we can say thank u for this perfect application...
thebane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2016, 05:23   #1387
thunderhayes

So, CD ripping on Windows 10, on a laptop that didn't originally come with an optical drive, works fine.

Dell Inspiron 11 3147, using an Apple SuperDrive of all things, worked fine. A little slow, but I think that's more a low-power drive than Winamp.

As far as features, CD ripping is probably low-priority, but after all these years, and after all these operating systems changing, it's nice to see a feature that still just works.
thunderhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2016, 05:52   #1388
dustywood

Jeeze, I am not even a company and in under 3 hours I could recruit multiple developers and have a release in a few months maximum. 2 years and no updates? That is pretty pathetic. I love Winamp, but if all it is, is empty promises, should have just let it die.

I am not angry, I am just disappointed. It sucks to see such great software be neglected by such an (apparently) unorganized, and incapable company.
dustywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2016, 07:43   #1389
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
comments like the last one don't help. i am also disappointed but we need to convince radionomy/vivendi that winamp is a platform useful for promoting their products and services, (a fact of which i am certain), and so to that end we need to be positive and put forth that argument in a compelling manner so they will commit money and resources to the product.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2016, 19:52   #1390
djnforce9

This still has huge potential.

I've been sticking with Winamp even though there have been other numerous other media players released. None of them hold a candle to Winamp's functionality. I believe it will re-surface again and it'll be as awesome as ever.

@dustywood:
there is a difference between just recruiting developers and taking time to find someone not only talented but who will be dedicated to the project as well.
djnforce9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2016, 21:13   #1391
Sedwend

Ten years on, I have Winamp on four machines, an Android phone, a Win Xp laptop, a Win 7 Desktop, and a Windows 10 tablet. Rarely gives me trouble, does it all I want it to do. It takes up 85 meg of hard drive, compared to 320 meg for iTunes for my wife's iPod. This bit of software should be the defacto standard for digital media file use. I am not worried about getting an update thus far. Should I be? What would be improved on really?
Sedwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2016, 21:33   #1392
musicf8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedwend View Post
I am not worried about getting an update thus far. Should I be? What would be improved on really?
Standard bug fixes and maybe some improvements, that's what would mostly be expected by people (plus the peace of mind knowing it's not abandonware)

I'm not really worried, the program works great for me, and im still stuck on the older 5.63

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Old 8th February 2016, 15:21   #1393
Roija

eigentlich wollte ich hier winamp für den Imac herunterladen. Ich kann hier aber keinen download-Knopf entdecken. Was ist da los?
Gruß
Roija
Roija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2016, 15:52   #1394
ryerman
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roija View Post
eigentlich wollte ich hier winamp für den Imac herunterladen. Ich kann hier aber keinen download-Knopf entdecken. Was ist da los?
Try here: http://forums.winamp.com/showpost.ph...99&postcount=2

Old 10th February 2016, 20:27   #1395
tom.mccauley

It seems to have taken ages for the software change to be in effect, it did say sometime in 2015 but that's passed now?
tom.mccauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 20:33   #1396
musicf8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom.mccauley View Post
It seems to have taken ages for the software change to be in effect, it did say sometime in 2015 but that's passed now?
Please read this thread page for current status -_-

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Old 13th February 2016, 09:36   #1397
ashcro11

It's been over 2 years now since we last heard anything guys - has Winamp officially died or is there still something possibly happening?
ashcro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2016, 14:17   #1398
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcro11 View Post
It's been over 2 years now since we last heard anything guys - has Winamp officially died or is there still something possibly happening?
good lord, read the first post in the thread, or read some of the last posts.

mods, egg, etc, this thread should be CLOSED for now imo, open it up to add info at a later date if and when there is new info to add. (state you will do so in a temporary final post, and tell people to read the first post for the most recent info)

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2016, 19:00   #1399
musicf8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
good lord, read the first post in the thread, or read some of the last posts.

mods, egg, etc, this thread should be CLOSED for now imo, open it up to add info at a later date if and when there is new info to add. (state you will do so in a temporary final post, and tell people to read the first post for the most recent info)
I agree. It seems like people make new accounts just to complain about no new version or new news without actually reading any of the thread.

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Old 21st February 2016, 12:33   #1400
Ha91

Dj egg, you have won our hearts. The loyal fans will await your and dr0's hardwork, even though he has departed.
It will be all worth it in the end.
Thank you and we, fans, hope Winamp will again become the icon, it was before going through this 'rollercoaster' ride, and infact live up-to its reputation, or ever better.
( I wish we had like signs here or something )
PS: +1 Like to Dj.Egg's post
Ha91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion