Old 12th April 2014, 17:57   #281
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I have never learned to know 2.91, 2.95 or 3.0. And it's a shame for me, that I have discovered Winamp so late. On 22nd July 2010 I saw Winamp the first time, on my Workstation PC. I never saw Winamp on a friend's computer and also never on a party...

BTW, the statements about "Winamp Cloud" (mentioned somewhere else in this thread) are very contradictory:
http://help.winamp.com/customer/port...5-winamp-cloud
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winamp
I know only, that the bookmarked link to "Winamp Cloud" in Firefox & Chrome does not work anymore. In Facebook I am keeping my eyes open every day, and I see, the user number for the Facebook App decreases very slowly. If the Facebook App itself will disappear some day, then I will know, that "Winamp Cloud" will never come back...

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2014, 18:14   #282
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Hi Sabine

Alas, Winamp Cloud is dead :-(
Or at least, that particular iteration of it is anyway.
Sorry.

It was the last great hope of keeping Winamp alive,
i.e. a way to potentially fund the project so AOL wouldn't shut it down...
but, to cut a long story very short, it heartbreakingly failed.

There may well be some Cloud features implemented in the future though....
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2014, 18:24   #283
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Thank You, DJ Egg...

Now I can admit, that I didn't give it up yet, until today. I should leave it behind me now...

"There may well be some Cloud features implemented in the future though"... Maybe in a future version, Winamp 5.8 or Winamp 5.9 or which version it always will be. Otherwise I am still very busy with my many public music-playlists in all the music-video-plattforms, and they are also very good for me. I see them as a good replacement...

All the best for Winamp in the future...

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2014, 06:31   #284
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegdelicious View Post
You know why I love Linux? All is free and when I looked at Winamp there was always that talk of license $$$ money etc.. annoyinggggggggggg LOng Live Free Linux forever.
Good for you.

Nothing is really 'free'. Everything must be paid for, thru the front door or the back (hidden and indirect). I rather pay a reasonable cost upfront and know what I'm buying (and not depend on the charity of others).

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2014, 09:12   #285
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
it's more often related to shared dlls across the system and as we're generally self-contained, it's less likely to be something that we'd fall under.
Thank you for the clarification. Of the 164 modules my Winamp installation loads (or uses) at startup, only 63 are shared dlls. Most of these were already loaded by the OS or my AV app. So that explains why subsequent Winamp reloads are not noticeably faster.

Thanx also for the tip about the task manager, it means my Winamp exits even faster than my rough measurement indicates. I was using my eyes and the stopwatch function on my wristwatch, so my measurements were not very precise anyway.

I think it's kinda shallow for users to judge an app of this kind on it's loading speed (when it's only a few seconds). Maybe the faster loading ones are not providing much of anything feature-wise. Exit speed is more important, if relying on the OS to shutdown Winamp and other apps when rebooting or turning off the computer. The time the OS allocates for this can be increased by hacking the registry, but the average user would not know how (or want) to do this. For safety sake, I shutdown apps and wait a few seconds before rebooting or turning off my computer.

Anyway, I'm confident you can work on these aspects without it detracting from the other work. Good luck on further decreasing these times.

Old 13th April 2014, 12:53   #286
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Quote:
You know why I love Linux? All is free and when I looked at Winamp there was always that talk of license $$$ money etc.. annoyinggggggggggg LOng Live Free Linux forever.
Good for you.

Nothing is really 'free'. Everything must be paid for, thru the front door or the back (hidden and indirect). I rather pay a reasonable cost upfront and know what I'm buying (and not depend on the charity of others).
which is why a number of linux distributions don't provide native MP3 decoder libraries for example (since depending on where in the world you are determines which patents and licensing authorities are in operation) so they don't have to pay anything and leave it to the user to download what is needed, etc. as MP3 is still a patented codec in parts up until 2017 (and with the few related patents relating to encoding support from what i've been able to work out).

as vegdelicious seems to be living in a reality bubble in that most of the main codecs in use (MP3, AAC, H.264 and so on) are under patent and generally require licensing to use them (which varies between formats and encoding and decoding areas depending on the codec) to avoid getting taken through the legal wringer when you're seen as a 'large' product.

how all of that will affect Winamp post-AOL is still to be seen and worked out and is likely that for some areas such as MP3 encoding, lame_enc.dll will need to be manually obtained and installed if that support is needed, since you're only going to be creating MP3s for your own personal usage anyway... and so could not be included natively as has been done since it adds more of a headache to the licensing requirements.

and for those interested in MP3 patent licensing, having worked through http://mp3licensing.com/patents/index.html and created the European patent numbers (since Winamp is a European product now), the following is the patents which have expired and which are still in effect and when they are likely to expire (though IANAL so it's the best that can be determined from the EU patent registrars):

EP0251028 - Expired 15 June 2007
EP0608281 - Expired 5 October 2012
EP0277613 - Expired 29 January 2008
EP0611516 - Expired 12 October 2012
EP0193143 - Expired 21 February 2006
EP0464534 - Expired 11 April 2011
EP0667063 - Expired 21 June 2011
EP0485390 - Expired 1 November 2013
4821260 - Only stated as a US patent which according to http://www.tunequest.org/a-big-list-...ents/20070226/ expired 16 December 2007)
EP0414838 - Expired 25 June 2010
EP0832521 - "Process of low sampling rate digital encoding of audio signals" - Still valid (possibly until 2017)
EP0642719 - Expired 17 May 2013
EP0287578 - Expired 28 August 2007
EP0750811 - "Joint stereo coding" - Still valid (possibly until 2015)
EP0803989 - "Method for encoding a digitised audio signal using combinations of different threshold models" - Still valid (possibly until 2017)
EP0494990 - Expired 7 October 2010
EP0719483 - "Determination of coding type" - Still valid (possibly until 2014)
EP0340301 - Expired 5 October 2008
EP0554290 - Expired 24 October 2011
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2014, 18:27   #287
DrO

screenshot time...

with what i'd been talking about re: video support, i think the following should do what's needed in making it easier to disable (instead of manually setting the no_video ini option). and also makes it clearer that the support can be disabled. there's still some more work to be done to make it more complete, but hopefully this will clarify what's intended i.e. we're not dropping video support, just an easier way to disable it for those not wanting it.

and the [?] button at the top, that is enough to force trigger the tooltip text (if provided for the options on the preference pages) which makes it easier to get help for the option. there will still need to be working done to decide how items without help text currently will be handled. but that's giving a better idea of my interpretation of the request vs expected OS UI design.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new_video_prefs.png
Views:	1722
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	51088  
Old 13th April 2014, 18:35   #288
Juanus
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Juanus
Quote:
screenshot time...

with what i'd been talking about re: video support, i think the following should do what's needed in making it easier to disable (instead of manually setting the no_video ini option). and also makes it clearer that the support can be disabled. there's still some more work to be done to make it more complete, but hopefully this will clarify what's intended i.e. we're not dropping video support, just an easier way to disable it for those not wanting it.

and the [?] button at the top, that is enough to force trigger the tooltip text (if provided for the options on the preference pages) which makes it easier to get help for the option. there will still need to be working done to decide how items without help text currently will be handled. but that's giving a better idea of my interpretation of the request vs expected OS UI design.
I love it! Keep up the great work!
If you don't mind me making a suggestion? I think it would make more sense if the box said "Disable Video Support" That way when you check it it goes off? It seems to make more sense that way but you might have reasons to do it the way it currently is.
Juanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2014, 18:42   #289
DrO

i went with enable and it checked by default as it's then easier to know it's an opt-out and a checkbox at the top of the page which is unchecked when everything else is shown just looked weird (i tried both options and what's in the screenshots felt more appropriate).
Old 13th April 2014, 19:11   #290
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
i went with enable and it checked by default as it's then easier to know it's an opt-out and a checkbox at the top of the page which is unchecked when everything else is shown just looked weird (i tried both options and what's in the screenshots felt more appropriate).
I second this, feels more natural, besides, it makes more sense taking into account the other options in this window ("enable fullscreen..", "enable on screen..", etc).

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2014, 22:39   #291
ChiggyChiggy

Quote:
There are lots of people who don't want to have all the stuff of the 5 version. What people said about you can uninstall this and that on 5 and put it like 2,9. But I dont want 5 i want 2.9
Then stick with 2.9 and zip it already, Winamp 2.xx never lost support tbh, throughout the years of Winamp 3.x and 5.x, Winamp 2.xx was just as much supported, if not more, than the 5.xx that was in active development even, the fact that most if not all plugins emphasized working with Winamp 2.xx is proof of that.

Quote:
And again another thing I must say to that guy who has winamp on WINE. Linux is for running LINUX software not to run windows software. I never had WINE. When people switch to Linux they switch and thats it. Running windows software on Linux that is a way to have serious security problems.
Because Winamp is one of those things that once you try you keep coming back to until youre hooked to it, youre a prime example of that in that you cant stop rambling about wanting it on Linux. Winamp works perfect on WINE, and it has for years. Winamp was one of the first apps the WINE team made sure would work well in WINE iirc.

Quote:
Having said that each one does what he wants with his software. You know why I love Linux? All is free and when I looked at Winamp there was always that talk of license $$$ money etc.. annoyinggggggggggg LOng Live Free Linux forever.
This is the Winamp news thread, not the ZOMFGZ MY OS RAWKS BECAUSE SCREW PAYING FOR SHIT CUZ IM A BROKE BASTARD #HAILTORVALDS thread.

Linux and most open source software gets to escape by the loophole of them being open source, and in so theyre not easy to sue the oblivion of out because there isnt anyone to sue really, that and they make no actual profit. (part of the reason most open source encoders dont charge money is for the very reason of not getting sued) so they can reverse engineer whatever they want really. Winamp doesnt have that however, since it was represented by Nullsoft, then AOL (aka one of the biggest companies ever at one point) It could have gotten sued the shit out of, so it had to pay licensees.

FYI, to play mp3s and other formats on Linux, your distribution is either paying (like Ubuntu and family does with the restricted codecs) or theyre there by legal loopholes.
ChiggyChiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2014, 22:43   #292
ChiggyChiggy

Quote:
and for those interested in MP3 patent licensing, having worked through http://mp3licensing.com/patents/index.html and created the European patent numbers (since Winamp is a European product now), the following is the patents which have expired and which are still in effect and when they are likely to expire (though IANAL so it's the best that can be determined from the EU patent registrars):

EP0251028 - Expired 15 June 2007
EP0608281 - Expired 5 October 2012
EP0277613 - Expired 29 January 2008
EP0611516 - Expired 12 October 2012
EP0193143 - Expired 21 February 2006
EP0464534 - Expired 11 April 2011
EP0667063 - Expired 21 June 2011
EP0485390 - Expired 1 November 2013
4821260 - Only stated as a US patent which according to http://www.tunequest.org/a-big-list-...ents/20070226/ expired 16 December 2007)
EP0414838 - Expired 25 June 2010
EP0832521 - "Process of low sampling rate digital encoding of audio signals" - Still valid (possibly until 2017)
EP0642719 - Expired 17 May 2013
EP0287578 - Expired 28 August 2007
EP0750811 - "Joint stereo coding" - Still valid (possibly until 2015)
EP0803989 - "Method for encoding a digitised audio signal using combinations of different threshold models" - Still valid (possibly until 2017)
EP0494990 - Expired 7 October 2010
EP0719483 - "Determination of coding type" - Still valid (possibly until 2014)
EP0340301 - Expired 5 October 2008
EP0554290 - Expired 24 October 2011

Wait, so what happens after those patents expire? MP3.... goes into public domain? o:
Old 14th April 2014, 07:28   #293
kzuse

Send a message via ICQ to kzuse Send a message via Skype™ to kzuse
DrO: Good idea, but in your Screenshot: what happens if you check "Permanently hide..." and later want to restore video functionality? The checkbox will be gone if the page on which it appears is hidden, won't it?

Or is it always displayed in Safe Mode?

Oh, and a more general question: Did Radionomy only acquire Winamp as a product or did they also acquire a licence for using the name "Nullsoft"? So, in other words, will it still say "Nullsoft Winamp" in the about boxes etc. (which also was the case in the AOL era, and would be a great tribute to the founders if it would remain that way) or will Nullsoft be replaced by Radionomy in each and every place around Winamp?

Thanks and have a great day,
kzuse
kzuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2014, 07:42   #294
DrO

ChiggyChiggy: I'd assume so and the need to pay licensing would be removed for all cases but I'm not 100% sure (as that side of things is still somewhat murky).

kzuse: it permanently hides it like the option says there is info for the help item for the control which says how to get it back, but will probably need to show it on the control text (as you have to edit winamp.ini), though we'd need to add it on the main help docs as I doubt anyone will remember if its removed after using that as its doing what it says which is what the initial implementation does by default in 5.666 or when no video support was auto detected. as I was tempted to not even have that option but its sort of needed so unless used you can re-enable support as wanted (but I need to refine the handling a bit more for lite installs since it should just fully hide by default for those install types).

as for the name, I'm not sure and changes had already been made to just have the menu items be "About Winamp..." for example and anything just refers to Winamp without a Nullsoft or Radionomy prefix so as to make Winamp more prominent. as Nullsoft had no real meaning other than for some business purposes from what I understand.
Old 14th April 2014, 09:19   #295
kzuse

Send a message via ICQ to kzuse Send a message via Skype™ to kzuse
Just Winamp... that's okay too, I think... yes, I think I like it

Regarding the "disable video support" thing: I didn't get it completely, but I'm sure you'll create a usable and intuitive setting interface I'll leave video support enabled anyway, as I still use it - not often, but sometimes.

Keep up the great work - I'm really looking forward to what's coming up....

Best regards,
kzuse
kzuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2014, 09:32   #296
DrO

with the menus, with modern skins they generally didn't show 'Nullsoft' in the applicable menu items and was only on the main menu that it showed. so whilst making some changes to make it more obvious if you're in safe mode or not, the ones with a Nullsoft reference were changed to just refer to Winamp. which helps make the ui a bit more consistent amongst itself (which is another one of those age old complaints of classic vs modern) as even the menus weren't being consistent for the 'about' dialog access i.e. modern skins shows 'about winamp...' and the main menu was 'nullsoft winamp...' which doesn't make it obvious what the second option is there for.

with the disable support, with 5.666 build 3516 you have to set no_video=1 to disable it (which blocks all video aspects and completely hides the preferences page). this is just forcing what happens with any install when no video formats are detected from the input plug-ins.

what the changes proposed do is make it possible to access that new ini option via the preferences ui but alter things a bit so it's still possible to see the preference page so you can re-enable video support if previously disabled. the second option is there for those who really don't want it and if enabled, makes it act like build 3516, but this time around sets no_video=2 (and it's this option which would need to be edited to get the support back if wanted later on). as the intention is that if you want it all disabled, you're ok with having to manually edit things to get the functionality back.

hope that makes things a bit clearer.

--------------------------------------------------------------

and with the startup timings that were talked about a few posts back. i found last night that with my dev setup, gen_ml is taking typically 250-300ms to get through the load metric i showed with an external classic skin, but when using the built-in classic skin, it changes to 500-600ms to get through it which is very strange as would expect there to be no noticeable difference irrespective of the classic skin type (built-in or external).

so am a bit at the moment as to why that is the case for an almost doubling in loading time. that is going to be an interesting one to track down i think...
Old 14th April 2014, 14:14   #297
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to garetjax Send a message via AIM to garetjax Send a message via MSN to garetjax Send a message via Yahoo to garetjax
Decompression of a Compiled Resource vs. Resolving Resources from External Skin?

Logically, thinking that through....the compiled resources are taking longer to load on default suggests that the compiled resource is having the be decompiled/extracted and then loaded for each control. (Don't compile the default classic skin???maybe? ala zip - rename; classicdefault.zip to classicdefault.dll or classicdefault.wdc etc.)

Whereas, this process is fairly straightforward for a classic skin...you utilize the load from the in place 'archive' extract and load that from temp holder/temp cache.

The only real diff is my understanding of the difference between the 'builtin' classic vs 'external classic'.

1001skins |
That's not a skin, it's some god awful piece of skinner gunk. - Mr. Jones

Last edited by garetjax; 14th April 2014 at 14:16. Reason: Logic Thoughs
garetjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2014, 14:30   #298
DrO

"built-in classic" is the embedded image resources inside of winamp.exe whereas as "external classic" is what you make

at the time that gen_ml is processing all of the things it does, the classic skin has already been loaded and is available to use irrespective of the type (built-in or external) and that's why it's a bit confusing as all of the HBITMAPs are already there and loaded.

and when looking at the loading times in winamp.exe of built-in vs external, built-in is faster but it's a negligable difference in what i'm testing against (a few ms at most). though compiled resources are generally quicker to access since it's already there and available in the process space (as the HBITMAPs obtained are effectively just pointers to the memory in the process space which has already been read instead of having to read in and extract files as needed for external skin instances).

as the resources in winamp.exe and any of the plug-in dlls aren't compressed since that's how the PE format works. though at times i wish it was since the classic skin makes up ~1MB of the winamp.exe file size, but this is all down to the origins of the PE format and what the machines at the time could do, hence better to have them uncompressed easily accessible access to resources.
Old 14th April 2014, 14:45   #299
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to garetjax Send a message via AIM to garetjax Send a message via MSN to garetjax Send a message via Yahoo to garetjax
I know that BMP images inside of managed code library using load and marshaling...even with complex logic aside and insanely huge bmp; generally will take 100ms to load into memory and about the same to copy it (i.e. talking about a 100MB here).

So, yea I can see your point there is something funky...

1001skins |
That's not a skin, it's some god awful piece of skinner gunk. - Mr. Jones
garetjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2014, 16:18   #300
Tiltmeister

Ok I been reading this forum from the first. When is there going to be a pro version? I use winamp, but am seriously looking at virtual dj pro. It has everything in it plus some. I don't mind spending the money to have something that fits my needs now, But would like to see winamp pro come out real soon and bust virtual balls. I guess I'm just anxious. It's been 4 months now. Maybe you need to hire a few more programmers on a temp basis, just an idea.
Tiltmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2014, 16:29   #301
DrO

i'm not seeing how Winamp Pro relates to Virtual DJ Pro? as none of what is present in the existing Winamp Pro (from the AOL provided versions) has any effect on streaming / media playback compared to the non-pro version of Winamp. so a bit of clarification on your message would be helpful as i'm somewhat confused by it.

it may have been 4 months since the sale went through, but there's been other things going on (e.g. the whole migration and remedial work on the SHOUTcast backend which took a while) as well as there's a lot of research into licensing, product development, etc which prevents providing a new client or doing anything active on coding. and realistically, it's going to be a while before a non-AOL version of Winamp is provided (and it's not like v5.666 build 3516 + dll patches isn't a bad version to be using anyway especially as a lot of the AOL specific aspects had already been removed).
Old 16th April 2014, 10:30   #302
Sherwin Maxawow

Send a message via AIM to Sherwin Maxawow Send a message via Yahoo to Sherwin Maxawow Send a message via Skype™ to Sherwin Maxawow
AMEN.

I think that perhaps Winamp is getting ready for a shining new WINNING era. Or at least it could be a real possibility if people make it happen. I do feel the WINDS are blowing in a very positive direction, especially with AOL leaving the picture. AOL is bad karma.... and it ultimately stands for, greed & creative oppression. AOL is basically in the same "bad energy" of Microsoft.

There could be some deeper significance of this, considering Winamp was the very FIRST Mp3 player which kind of helped open the doors to a new digital media age. Now that the CHAINS of AOL have fallen off, it could signify the beginning of a new time of creative freedom.

Walking right along that--thin--fine--line- in between -GENIUS & iNsAniTy-...like a tightrope!
Sherwin Maxawow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 10:40   #303
DrO

as much as you want to knock Winamp under the days of it's AOL ownership, which took it from a shareware product to becoming free product for all with v2.5 (with some compromises as everything tends to have eventually added) to it's peak with v5.5, that without them it would have long ago gone the way of other players from the time when Winamp originated.

yes there were mistakes made with how things were done, but that's in the past and it's time to move on (whether the changes will be seen as good or bad is yet to be seen still). and for the most part, Winamp was generally left to it's own devices until the last few years, so all of the negativity is somewhat excessive and should just be dropped (especially if you don't know what was done internally to keep out the more viral junk) as what's done is done and now we have to see where the rivers of time take us.
Old 16th April 2014, 15:59   #304
musicf8

Send a message via AIM to musicf8
Quote:
as much as you want to knock Winamp under the days of it's AOL ownership, which took it from a shareware product to becoming free product for all with v2.5 (with some compromises as everything tends to have eventually added) to it's peak with v5.5, that without them it would have long ago gone the way of other players from the time when Winamp originated.
I remember reading an insider comment about the whole AOL buying winamp and whatnot. Wish I can remember where I read it. But back when AOL purchased winamp, AOL I was big on start-ups and actually had big plans for Winamp and it's future, that all fell through after the TW-AOL merger where the cultures clashed and old money won, essentially ending AOL's ventures in start-ups... So I would knock TimeWarner instead...

I really want to find where I read all that, it was a really good read... Made me believe if the TW-AOL merger never happened AOL and Winamp would be much bigger players on the internet today than they are now.
musicf8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 23:24   #305
DrO

Quote:
and with the startup timings that were talked about a few posts back. i found last night that with my dev setup, gen_ml is taking typically 250-300ms to get through the load metric i showed with an external classic skin, but when using the built-in classic skin, it changes to 500-600ms to get through it which is very strange as would expect there to be no noticeable difference irrespective of the classic skin type (built-in or external).

so am a bit at the moment as to why that is the case for an almost doubling in loading time. that is going to be an interesting one to track down i think...
Quote:
Originally Posted by garetjax View Post
So, yea I can see your point there is something funky...
looks like i've found the cause of the gen_ml weirdness and it stems from a loading order conflict in gen_jumpex with its processing of the shell's enqueue and play option (still not sure why the processing for that was causing the delay i was seeing ).

though changing when that handling is done (along with some other aspects which can be done later on once Winamp is actually loaded) has had the effect of halving my load time for gen_jumpex (down from typically 45-50ms to 20-25ms) and gen_ml is now consistently loading in 80-90ms (which is including the time to load all of the media library plug-ins) instead of in the 300-600ms range i was generally getting from it for the last few days.

so that's got me a ~500ms loading time saving with not too much effort (yay). will be interesting to see if it'll be noticeable on other setups...

as the next thing to look at as the slowest thing on loading is gen_ff (which isn't going to be simple) as that is generally taking 500ms (Winamp Modern) and 700ms (Bento) to load.
Old 17th April 2014, 01:22   #306
ScoobeDoo

I have used WinAmp forever. Or so it seems. I am old. Now I am not one who accepts change when it first presents itself. But change I do, even if it is 1 OS behind the current. I have upgraded Winny over the years. Even if not right away. Although most software is alpha and beta tested before release i watched with a weathered eye for its performance. With that said, Vegdelicous humors me to no end. I found myself laughing loudly, to my wife's irritation, at his comments. I would think he would find solace in windows 3.1 or 95. And I still have the discs, floppy or otherwise, for both those systems. I don't know why I've kept them. But it doesn't mean I still use them.

On a serious note. I have never cared to much for the video feature. So I don't use it. It is a great mp3 player. It's the only one I've ever used. Well once I realized how inadequate WMP was.

As new features go, this is usually how it happens for me. Wow cool that didn't happen in the previous version. Or crap I don't like that. That didn't happen in the previous version. Either way it causes me to explore the program further.

Looking forward to the new release, even if I wont use it right away.
ScoobeDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2014, 07:33   #307
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
so that's got me a ~500ms loading time saving with not too much effort (yay). will be interesting to see if it'll be noticeable on other setups...

as the next thing to look at as the slowest thing on loading is gen_ff (which isn't going to be simple) as that is generally taking 500ms (Winamp Modern) and 700ms (Bento) to load.
Great news!

Old 18th April 2014, 00:21   #308
birthdayalex

Thanks
birthdayalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2014, 01:35   #309
ElliottB1

Actually, you can still get Winamp from the Milkdrop website.
ElliottB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2014, 19:24   #310
mwalden

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliottB1 View Post
Actually, you can still get Winamp from the Milkdrop website.
What Milkdrop website? Please provide URL.
mwalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2014, 19:37   #311
mwalden

Now that Radionomy owns http://www.nullsoft.com, what content is going to be hosted there?
Old 18th April 2014, 23:13   #312
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalden View Post
Now that Radionomy owns http://www.nullsoft.com, what content is going to be hosted there?
If it was included in the deal, it would probably redirect to www.radionomy.com or www.winamp.com..

As for the Milkdrop site someone asked, there are 2 I can recall:
http://www.geisswerks.com/milkdrop/ (this has one link, but check the second post of this thread!)
http://www.milkdrop.tk/drupal/

EDIT: Improvements for future reference..

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2014, 23:17   #313
DrO

there seems to be a link on geisswerks (though it appears to be 5.66 and not 5.666).
Old 19th April 2014, 16:38   #314
mwalden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victhor View Post
If it was included in the deal, it would probably redirect to www.radionomy.com or www.winamp.com..
I did a whois look up on the http://www.nullsoft.com domain and it definitely has been transferred to Radionomy. That is why I am asking the question of what Radionomy intends to use it for. One suggestion would be to post information on the history of Winamp.
Old 20th April 2014, 06:49   #315
SHRIRAAM

Technical Ideas

Dear Winamp Manager

My name is Shriraam.S logged as a new member in Winamp forum. I would like to give some

new ideas related to winamp. After Winamp 5.666 AOL quits further versions I know. But we

can bring new vertical in future. The future Winamp should run also with (MPEG 7)

Audio and video components also to support 3D Graphical visualization (Virtual on screen 3D

movies) (i.e.) 3D films can run through Winamp with Real effect.

Next Winamp media player for DVD players. this idea no one tried like in computers and

mobile phones Winamp can installed in DVD players where instead of key board and mouse

the Remote can used to install that software.That will be a new software installing through

DVD.So a new software needs to be designed exclusively for DVD player. Then people can

see Winamp in TV also....

I am installed more no.of older winamp in my PC. Winamp 0.92 refusing to work

kindly tell me what technical problem is and remedy for that!

Thank you
SHRIRAAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2014, 06:58   #316
SHRIRAAM

Dear Winamp Manager,

Consider my suggestion You can design virtual Guitars, Drums, Piano,Tabla, and musical

Keyboard as to play via online. Like graphic equalizers, onscreen Keyboards you can also

bring new ideas where winamp can reach everyone. This not only for desktop users

but also for Android and whats app users. I expecting winamp too....
SHRIRAAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2014, 08:17   #317
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHRIRAAM View Post

Thank you
Technology has moved on. The Windows version and hardware that Winamp 0.92 ran on is obsolete. The remedy___ find some of that old gear that is still working or upgrade to the latest version of Winamp (if your current hardware and Windows version is less than 7 years old).

Optical disks and players (CD and DVD) are also nearing the end of their lifespan. The future is in streaming (downloading digital data from cable and satellite). There is talk of a new optical format and device for storing very large amounts of data (not single albums or movies).

Old 20th April 2014, 13:15   #318
Mr.Henky

Send a message via ICQ to Mr.Henky
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHRIRAAM View Post
Dear Winamp Manager

My name is Shriraam.S logged as a new member in Winamp forum. I would like to give some

new ideas related to winamp. After Winamp 5.666 AOL quits further versions I know. But we

can bring new vertical in future. The future Winamp should run also with (MPEG 7)

Audio and video components also to support 3D Graphical visualization (Virtual on screen 3D

movies) (i.e.) 3D films can run through Winamp with Real effect.

Next Winamp media player for DVD players. this idea no one tried like in computers and

mobile phones Winamp can installed in DVD players where instead of key board and mouse

the Remote can used to install that software.That will be a new software installing through

DVD.So a new software needs to be designed exclusively for DVD player. Then people can

see Winamp in TV also....

Thank you
Wut?
Mr.Henky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2014, 13:44   #319
ChiggyChiggy

Dudes theres one thing that frightens the crap out me about what ever future release of Winamp, will the future versions of Winamp that use FreeDB instead of CDDB be as competent as the ones that used Gracenote, or would it basically be back to the days of having to do your own tagging? CDDB manages to detect things so perfectly most of the time its almost scary (say, a file with no tags or info to relate it to the song at all will 80% of the time get its tags right).

Winamp's metadata looker is the only one that i know of thats worth even mentioning about because its useable...not to mention there isnt almost any other of its class (except 2 other shareware applications that dont even work well), and theres MediaMonekeys tagger thats depressing to use to say the least. Minus the fact that it crashes on some files and doesnt have the option to give you multiple options, its almost perfect, and if it was a separate application if buy it in a heartbeat.

When and if the next future version of Winamp is released, will the current versions that use Gracenote stop working? Will they go the same way the "Now playing" page of Winamp has gone?

Before knowing about Winamps tagger i didnt bother to use a powerful media player like Winamp because my files had no tags and it would look like a heap of mess, so i used to stick with a player called AIMP3 since its media library uses the file name, but after Winamp whipped 80% of my library back to shape i dont think i could ever even think of going back to something so basic.
Old 20th April 2014, 16:58   #320
DrO

the aim is to make everything work as feature complete as before (or to resolve the issues with the prior implementations where possible). as a Musicbrainz based setup is what is being considered and that you can still override the automatic information obtained (under the existing setup and the new setup), it shouldn't be something to worry about.

as for what will happen to old versions using the Gracenote implementation, it's unclear when those will stop working. as it's usage had been licensed upto 2015 iirc, but as that's an agreement between AOL and Gracenote, if it's maintained until then is not under our control and isn't something that will be maintained (as i've mentioned previously).

so potentially it'll stop working on old clients when the allowed access expires (when that'll be its really not known), by which time there should be a new Winamp client available with comparable / improved functionality in that area.

and Winamp's implementation also crashes (not for everyone, but enough to be the top crash issue that comes through) as we found out too late that the Gracenote SDK we were using went end of life (i.e. no fix available) and without a re-write wouldn't be able to use the newer SDK they have which does resolve the crash issue. which is why completely changing the service used is better in the long run when a re-write was needed even if Gracenote was going to be kept.

as for the now playing page (and most of the other online services), it will come back (though some of the other pages may not), but there's a lot of things that need to be decided on, designed and obtained. though am somewhat surprised to see a mention to now playing when the general view on feedback is that people don't like it, heh.
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion