X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Moblin
    • Oct 2005

Help with a shuffle behavior modification

I have a fairly sweet idea for a playlist shuffle behavior modification that I have not seen in any other media player but I have wanted forever. So, I decided to give making a winamp plugin a shot. I downloaded the SDK and found the documentation lacking so I figured I'd post here.

If there are any good general tutorials for a new plugin developer any links would be appreciated. I spent a little while reading stickied threads but my eyes might be broken so if I missed one please forgive me.

I have decided this is probably a general purpose plugin; please inform me if this is wrong.

I have three tasks I need to perform. I'm not asking for you to post source code (It's no fun if you write the plugin for me!) but I am completely in the dark about how to accomplish any of this. Names of functions and/or descriptions of what they do will suffice.

I also don't want to fully explain what I am doing because I really don't want to either have someone post a lot of source that basically does it all and I don't want to find out someone else has already written this plugin and kill my motivation to work on this (though a quick search has not revealed a current plugin.)

First, I need to know how to get ID3 tag information from the currently playing track. Searching provided a few possible leads, but they are quite dated and it would be nice to know if they are still relevant.

Second, I need to be able to seek through the current playlist and find another file with specific ID3 information. So far search is fruitless for this one but it could be that I am not using the right terms.

Third, I need to be able to specify which file will be played next in the playlist. Basically, what I'm looking to do is to either let shuffle choose a random file or dictate which file is played next based on a certain condition. I'm pretty sure this is right under my nose but I am just starting out so I have no idea.

Anyway, as I said, any general help on getting started in addition to these specific issues is greatly appreciated. I plan on doing this in C++ using Visual Studio .NET 2003 but I may get lazy and try it in VB .NET if it seems like that would be easier.
  • Moblin
    • Oct 2005

Ahh. Just as I thought. It's not "How do I make AVS presets I hear they are pretty cool I mean there's already 2300+ downloads for them which is 68% of all plugins but I'm sure we need more" so no one knows the answers. Thanks anyway.

Comment

• Joonas
      Forum King
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Moblin
      Ahh. Just as I thought. It's not "How do I make AVS presets I hear they are pretty cool I mean there's already 2300+ downloads for them which is 68% of all plugins but I'm sure we need more" so no one knows the answers. Thanks anyway.
      Is this supposed to be irony?

Anyway...
      IPC_GET_EXTENDED_FILE_INFO works fine for getting id3-tags.

To know if there is a duplicate in the playlist you have to manually grab the id3-tags from each playlist entry and compare...

IPC_GET_NEXT_PLITEM is likely a good choice to get what next item Winamp will play.

Good luck

Drag 'n Drop support for the Playlist Editor - Now with Unicode support!
      Dynamic Library v2.0

Comment

Working...
      X