Old 8th August 2008, 20:45   #1
jordiNYC

Send a message via Yahoo to jordiNYC
Enough With The Damned Updates!!

Why can't you create a version of WinAMP that updates without forcing you to install? Why can't WinAMP just update what it needs to update quietly behind the scenes?If they're not dangerously critical, why can't you at least space them 4 to 6 months apart?

I know why, because then we wouldn't be prompted over and over to accept great free offers that come along with WinAMP, offers for products and services from companies which I am NEVER going to do business with because they choose to be promoted via this crazy new type of Spam called WinAMP Updates.

I swear if you do two more updates before 2009, not only am I never going to use WinAMP again, I'm also going to warn all my clients against it. That's not bitter, that's just my standard practice of steering my customers away from ADWARE!

Is that clear enough? Or do I need to say it in Chinese, Korean, and Japanese?
Old 8th August 2008, 22:01   #2
pjn123
Major Dude

Can you do it in Afrikaans please?

Then you better start warning your client man. If you want a media player that never updates, full of security holes and slow, then go for something like WMP. It's all you want... and even less
If what it takes to keep Winamp going is a few options in the installer that I have to deselect each time... then why not? Your getting it for free ffs! It's not very often that we can say you got the best there is for free?

But you can also stick with your current version and disable this option:
- Options > Prefs > General Prefs > "Check for new versions..."

But yes, an updater might be handy. In fact, I'm sure someone can create a nice app that can do that if Nullsoft dont want. But I still do it the manual way

ClassicPro© v2.01 : This plugin allows you to use cPro skins in Winamp. ClassicPro skins are all SUI skins and loads very quickly. ClassicPro skins is even easier to skin than Winamp Classic skins. A new layout have been added since version 2.
Download ClassicPro© ==== cPro Skins ==== ClassicPro© Homepage ==== SC Forums
Old 8th August 2008, 22:03   #3
VooDoo`
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to VooDoo` Send a message via AIM to VooDoo`
-_-

do you think that you are something special that you can threat the winamp developers?

you are so mean...

o_0
Old 8th August 2008, 23:07   #4
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Quote:
Is that clear enough? Or do I need to say it in Chinese, Korean, and Japanese?
Could you repeat that in Dutch, please? It is very close to Afrikaans, so once you done the Afrikaanse version, you shouldn't have too much trouble with the Dutch.

To the developers: Could you get me a new version, please? This beta I got now is already a day old.

Thank you.
Old 8th August 2008, 23:11   #5
Menschenfleisch

Send a message via ICQ to Menschenfleisch
I dont know where the problem is with that install?!

You dont lose any settings and the installer remembers your last chosen options...
Only that 4 checkmarks at the end are there again, but I dont see a problem to deactivate them...
So the installer is like an update for me, because you dont lose any settings, just a few clicks...

And its good to have much program updates..
So I dont have to wait forever to get the things of the wishlist forum and so on
For example I dislike that artist sorting with the excluding of "the" - maybe this is in next release optional now.. I dont have to wait several month only to get something.

And also: Winamp is free!!
and this very little advertise (emusic etc) is not really a problem and its only there to get over the costs and that you can use it for free..

so - stfu ...
Old 9th August 2008, 02:44   #6
Entegy

"Boohoo, I lose a minute of time one-to-times a month! My life is wasted!"
Old 9th August 2008, 06:40   #7
Kaminari

Re: Enough With The Damned Updates!!

Quote:
Originally posted by jordiNYC
I swear I'm going to warn all my clients against it.
Come on Jordi. You're only 13 years old. You can't have any "customers" at your age. (And no, being a teenage drug dealer is not considered a proper business.)
Old 9th August 2008, 14:19   #8
robdog2004
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to robdog2004 Send a message via Yahoo to robdog2004
read the profile its funny
biography in general

the only reason programmers give out updates is the either realize there is a problem/glitch in a specific area or a security vulnerability that may cause undesired results
now to complain about them is just silly
do you complain everytime microsoft/mac gives out an update
(looking here probably yes) but to say you wont use the software is just silly (i would like to know what program you find that is better than winamp in whole)

thanks rob
(c)rob 2013 (picture & SN)

(please note) As users we can't give others help unless we get full details of the problem that you are having
Old 9th August 2008, 14:24   #9
robdog2004
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to robdog2004 Send a message via Yahoo to robdog2004
and to add the only ads in winamp are in pages that connect to the internet (now playing, browser, dashboard to name a few) they can be easily turned off by either blocking the connections to the site/program or by just turning your internet off

the only ads used in winamp are by aol (which owns (believe) winamp and helps pay for the features) now any other ads you may find are related to aol or are related to the music you are playing

edited (starting to hate my keyboard for typos)

thanks rob
(c)rob 2013 (picture & SN)

(please note) As users we can't give others help unless we get full details of the problem that you are having
Old 9th August 2008, 22:32   #10
espy

I'd prefer the warning in American Sign Language. Can we get that, jordiNYC?
Old 10th August 2008, 08:53   #11
j7n

"they can be easily turned off [..] by just turning your internet off"
Can you imagine a computer today without Internet access, seriously?

Just install a winamp that does not update at all on your clients computers. The security holes are not really an issue in reality. By this logic a win98 computer that can't run the "latest and greatest" Winamp would not function at all due to numerous security flaws.

No software should access the internet and install files without the user knowing it. This is asking for trouble.
Old 10th August 2008, 10:09   #12
QuietBritishJim

Send a message via Yahoo to QuietBritishJim
Aside from the above (which is all also correct), this wouldn't work for security reasons. Winamp only needs user-level privileges to run, but needs admin rights to install/update because that requires fiddling with the Program Files directory. Vista's security system (UAC? I forget) enforces this, as do previous NT-based Windows that are configured properly.

Edit: needless to say, promoting Winamp to run with admin rights is not a "solution" to this.
Old 11th August 2008, 18:32   #13
jordiNYC

There is no reason to settle for something just because it's free. Room and board is free in prison, and they have a gym and showers with free soap (and free surprises there too).

There are many, so many other free media players out there that are 100% free and kick winamp's ass 10x over. So why am I bothering to say so here rather than just download the others and STFU as you say?

Well I was a big supporter of winamp way back in the day*. It's sad to see what was once the most inovative and immitated player become more and more bloated with crap only the most esoteric retards could possibly need (aside from other language support, which is considerate yes, but really should be a seperate download rather than putting every damned languagge on earth into ONE INSTALL). With each new install, I have to wait THAT much longer for it just to load (you wanna buy me a new comptuer?), and I have seen NO advantages to any of these updates other than the "bento" skin with it's beautiful "upgrade to pay version" menu item.

I've already moved on, but I just wanted to see how in this day and age of sourceforge and download.com and twocows and majorgeeks and so on, how little people are still willing to settle for.

Enjoy your ISDN folks.

(*some idiots who don't know how to look up up a profile may think "back in the day" means when I was 5 years old. I'm old enough to remember 11 Alive, "Take HUMAN bites!", and shamrock shakes for crying out loud - ask a 40 year old new yorker about the first 2 they'll explain.)

UPDATE: Correction, my profile doesn't have my age in it. Well, it didn't up till now anyway. Still you shouldn't just assume stuff like people's age. When I got carded at 31 years old I thought it was cute. Now it's just annoying.
Old 11th August 2008, 19:06   #14
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
Quote:
So why am I bothering to say so here rather than just download the others and STFU as you say?
Yea. Why are you bothering with Winamp if you don't like it? You seem to be upset about actually clearing a few check boxes during and after install.

I've been using Winamp for about 10 years now and I see no reason to stop just because a few features have been added. I've also been clearing those check boxes I don't want since they were added. And I have no problem with that.

There is no sig.
Old 11th August 2008, 19:14   #15
pjn123
Major Dude

Just download the ENGLISH version. I know it's hard to read before you click. As for bloated. Feel free to deselect stuff in the install. Everything is optional. And Bento is just a skin. No one is stopping you to use something else.

Anyway, Winamp is the best. The End.

Btw.... please point us to those players that’s 10x better

ClassicPro© v2.01 : This plugin allows you to use cPro skins in Winamp. ClassicPro skins are all SUI skins and loads very quickly. ClassicPro skins is even easier to skin than Winamp Classic skins. A new layout have been added since version 2.
Download ClassicPro© ==== cPro Skins ==== ClassicPro© Homepage ==== SC Forums
Old 11th August 2008, 19:18   #16
homes32

Quote:
There is no reason to settle for something just because it's free. Room and board is free in prison, and they have a gym and showers with free soap (and free surprises there too).
prison is not free.

A. many prisons make you pay for your stay
B. your freedom isn't worth anything?

homes32
Old 11th August 2008, 21:41   #17
Entegy

The best thing about Winamp is its features. As in, every single one is optional.
Old 11th August 2008, 22:08   #18
QuietBritishJim

I think it's obvious this thread is getting furiously sidetracked. I'm not a mod, I just think that constructive criticism is , so maybe I can pull this back on course.

I think it's worth pointing out that, as I read it, there are *four* suggestions here really, all of them are valid in the sense they would be nice to have from a user's point of view, even if not everyone agrees they are the most important thing to do or even possible.[list=1][*]Updates in background (i.e. no installer at all) This is an understandable request, but infeasible because of the security reasons I mentioned. If you know free software that does this then it is a security violation (since you will have to run the whole program at admin level) and is just another argument in favour of Winamp!
You could tone this request back a bit to "cut out a couple of steps" (the toolbar etc page and going through the website) but now it's looking rather less worth it, and really we have to accept that it's not going to change. I agree that they are annoying, but I personally find it a small price to pay for what I consider superior software.
[*]Only downloading components that are actually installed This is a perfectly sensible idea, in fact I rather like it; the installer could be minimal and only download executable bits once plugins have been chosen. I've even seen other software (both free and commercial) do exactly this. *
[*]Finer grained plugins jordiNYC complained that Winamp was bloated even though he turned off the plugins he doesn't want i.e. this is not just an install-time problem (although it would help with that) but a run-time problem, if I read it right. I have to say, I really don't have this issue (my main turned-off plugins are video and modern skins), I find that memory usage seems to have much more to do with music in my library. However, the suggestion stands.
[*]Fewer updates I thought this was silly at first, but it isn't infeasible to have an option something like "automatic updates on [x] major versions [x] minor versions [x] security vunerabilities" (three checkboxes). Personally I don't think it's worth it but it's still a valid request. Note that you aren't forced to install updates, you can just close the dialogue and it stays closed. Stopping using a piece of software because you have to click "ignore" now and again really does seem silly to me![/list=1]

* Please everyone, don't respond to this (number 2) with "it can't be done because of NSIS" or something. It is commercially and technically possible, and if the current architecture makes it tricky then that's the programmers' problem not ours; that's why it's a feature request! This is speaking as a professional programmer, BTW

Edit: Sorry, this post has gone through many iterations! I tidied each item a bit, then later added a whole new item (number 4) when I realised I didn't reread right back up the orginal post, then rewrote it when I realised it wasn't as silly as it sounds, then tidied several items again!

Last edited by QuietBritishJim; 11th August 2008 at 22:38.
Old 12th August 2008, 11:57   #19
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

Quite how you think replacing the small popup window telling you there is a new version out, with a brand new update and conflict UI is better, I'll never know.

The only thing I see being saved here is bandwidth. And Winamp hardly consumes anything anyway.

Old 12th August 2008, 12:18   #20
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

i think the installer is the easiest.

auto updater is stupid
Old 12th August 2008, 12:20   #21
QuietBritishJim

But as I mentioned, the idea of having an installer that's bundled with practically nothing and only downloads the plugins you choose is a great idea. (Not exactly what was suggested but not far off)
Old 12th August 2008, 12:57   #22
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

that'd save you a whole 0 seconds per month in time and save nullsoft 0Mb of bandwith.

people don't even look at the installer, they just hit next next next....

the installer would take longer.

tech support would be totally fucked, are you willing to put in the time to help with peoples problems and not get paid for it? not even a thanks.

"I updated the x plugin and now the y plugin doesn't work properly."

"I updated winamp and now i can't see modern skins"
Old 12th August 2008, 12:59   #23
Kn0tte
Major Dude

Winamp updates and the Winamp installer is fine. I like many updates, especially if there are many bugs.

How hard is it to download a 8MB file and install?
And if you dont want to, how hard is it to uncheck the OPTION in the preferences?

Btw, I hope we get a Winamp 5.55 cause thats a magical number. 5.541 didnt get the special attention it needed cause the front page was never updated to say 5.541. I see that other sites still post the old 5.54.. :/
Old 12th August 2008, 14:42   #24
Aereon

I want my updates as frequent as possible, thank you very much. With constant improvements!
Old 12th August 2008, 18:15   #25
jordiNYC

http://www.techmalaya.com/2007/10/25...ayer-freeware/

URL was blocked. Let's see if it displays this:

techmalaya.com/2007/10/25/10-alternatives-to-winamp-desktop-music-player-freeware

1 Quintessential Player (QCD)
2 MediaMonkey
3 musikCube
4 Billy
5 XMPlay
6 CoolPlayer
7 iTunes
8 foobar2000
9 Sonique
10 SongBird

If I'm not b& for this, I'll report my findings once I've tried these. I do NOT count iTunes as a replacement because too many people I know have told me it's actually MORE bloated than WinAMP. So far, Media Monkey is actually quite nice. We shall see.
Old 12th August 2008, 18:33   #26
QuietBritishJim

I tried so hard to find something productive amongst your posts, but if your only real complain is that Winamp is too "bloated" at runtime, then I'm afraid you're just plain crazy. If you're going to look at other players for non-bloatedness, make sure to compare whether they'll let you just turn off (forget hiding, I mean not even load) these things: pretty much the whole skinning engine (like you can with modern skins in Winamp), a complete playback engine (like video support in Winamp) and any other large components you don't use (ripping/burning support, media library, portables support etc etc etc).

The truth is, Winamp's modularily is unparallelled amongst its competitors. If you find another player you believe is less "bloated", what you've really found is a player lacking features you rely on Winamp, or you've not properly removed things you don't use in Winamp. I restate what I said earlier: the vast majority of Winamp's memory use is data (individual songs or the ML data) to keep interaction smooth.

Edit: can you answer the questions I posed in my first paragraph about even just #1 on your list (Quintessential player)? How many of the answers are "yes you can avoid even loading that" (a quick glance at their skins shows that even the first question about an overly complicated skinning engine is a valid issue)? I'm going to take a wild shot in the dark and guess zero. Now that's what I call bloat.
Old 12th August 2008, 19:08   #27
Kn0tte
Major Dude

To answer some guys here: Winamp is NOT bloated!
Winamp is getting better and better. 5.541 is the best version made so far. A lot of bug fixes and changes has been made since the release of 5.0. A lot. Winamp 5.541 is quite bug-free IMO (thank you)

And to say it; even though some versions are "maintenance releases", the text on the front-page should always be updated to the current number. A new version=a new updated text. Some people still think 5.54 is the latest version, even though 5.541 has been released.. I know there is a pop-up window about new releases in the player itself, but usually it take some time for that window to show after a release.
Old 12th August 2008, 22:45   #28
devils night

this guy is just an A$$ just close the thread. guys like these keep the stereotypical new yorker image alive

Proud Winamp user since 1997
(Winamp 1.006)
Old 12th August 2008, 23:03   #29
Kn0tte
Major Dude

devils night: Just a question, who do you mean by "this guy"?
Old 12th August 2008, 23:33   #30
QuietBritishJim

I assumed he meant jordiNYC. I agree, it's obvious he's just trolling, his arguments against Winamp jump irrationally around.
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion