Old 4th March 2013, 19:31   #1
Rovastar

Send a message via AIM to Rovastar
large embedded cover art doesn't display

Not been on here for ages and I am one of those rare people that still uses Winamp on a PC - so this bug report for that version.

Now it is a bit (maybe, very) trivial bug with large cover art (over 1024x1024 res from my tests)

I am using the MusicBrainz database these days to correctly tag my extensive music collection and this can be used to automatically tag cover art, etc to my mp3's. (And I was pleased to read that Winamp have started to use this now too for some things)

But large artwork does not appear in Winamp and looking at the details it does not appear there too. Reducing it to 1024x1024 is ok.

I had a quick look for standards for mp3s and maximum cover art size (thought it might be a standard you are conforming too) but I could not find anything.

Cheers folks

"Rules are for the guidance of wisemen and the obedience of fools"

Visuals - Morphyre www.Morphyre.com
Rovastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013, 20:37   #2
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
interesting... i want to be sure i get you though, so let me ask some questions just so i understand:

do you embed your art in the files tag, or do you place it in the folder? it sounds like you embed, which winamp will READ, but winamp will not itself do.

are you saying that a file, any file, will not work if it is greater than 1024x1024 resolution REGARDLESS of filesize? what if only one side is larger than 1024?

there has been much discussion on here of HQ art embeds causing RAM inflation and possibly causing scans to fail/crash.

in my exp, i use folder art. winamp will maintain the aspect ratio, but it only shows art based on its own pre-determined icon sizes, or in the playlist column that the user resizes. by any chance, were you saying you wanted winamp to display the image as is? meaning, not resized for display by winamp?

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013, 21:01   #3
ujay
Forum King

I've seen people warn against using too large embedded artwork. Mainly I think, because it could push other chunks beyond the reach of whatever was doing the parsing.
Not sure this is your problem though.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013, 21:40   #4
Rovastar

Sorry after further investigation it appears that the jpg I was using had some odd properties.

Some/most programs were opening this file ok, other where not like winamp it seems.

Resizing it (even bigger) refreshed this and it was all ok.

Sorry about that.

Old 4th March 2013, 21:50   #5
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
hmm, i wonder if it was resizing it, or something else. i once had an issue where proper EXIF info was killing a scan dead (in squeezebox) and simply resaving the file fixed it, (although i forget why, if it deleted the EXIF info or what), but going bigger shouldn't alone do it, b/c that implies that the size you had was somehow itself causing the bug, and i doubt this is the case. something else was probably altered.

i'd still be curious to know the stats on your collection, and how you do things.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013, 21:54   #6
Rovastar

And just for the record I have since embedded a 4000x4000 (8.4MB) image in the file and it is all ok.

Old 4th March 2013, 21:56   #7
Rovastar

If you are curious here is the stupid 1100x1100 jpeg file.

http://images.junostatic.com/full/CS1199485-02A-BIG.jpg

Old 4th March 2013, 22:29   #8
Rovastar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
i'd still be curious to know the stats on your collection, and how you do things.
I suppose it is a thousand or so albums but I had a fair chunk on CD still that I want to rip (or re-rip) and have spent the last few months doing this.
Found MusicBrainz which seemed the best way to help do this so I had cover art, etc with them all and a consistent style for the tags and added ones that were not there so that everyone else will benefit.

Old 5th March 2013, 15:33   #9
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Rovastar,

I have had problems with MusicBrainz in the past. I now use MP3Tag or MediaMonkey to search for and embed my artwork. MP3Tag also does a good job (but not perfect) auto-tagging and it supports most of the popular file formats, not just mp3.

Due to the way Winamp allocates memory for artwork, it may try to exceed the computer's available physical memory causing it to crash if you have many thousands of files with large embedded artwork and you are using a skin that displays multiple images at the same time. Use the Windows task manager to monitor Winamp's memory usage. Shutdown and restart Winamp if the memory usage grows to a dangerous level (over 65% of available RAM).

It is probably a good idea to only use artwork with the highest resolution suitable for your needs and not the highest resolution available, if you have a very large collection.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2013, 20:03   #10
Rovastar

I have no problem with Musicbrainz database it was the actual broken jpeg artwork I uploaded and embedded that didn't display in Winamp but changed it now and Winamp copes happily.

MP3tag is good I stilll use for "old school" tagging (e.g. moving title to filename, etc) and the newer stuff it gets the info from sources like Musicbrainz anyway (or Discogs or Amazon).

I suspect you are talking about problems with the Musicbrain Picard tagger. Which is still a little buggy but does have the huge benefit of scanning the audio fingerprinting of tracks when a lookup of the tags doesn't work.
And I haven't found another that will show me what tracks I am missing for some albums. I was surprised how many old collections had the odd missing file. I am not sue what file type you use it doesn't support.

I think I will continue to have embed artwork of high quality. Often on mobile devices they display just the artwork and they are more portable for other people I share the music with. I might limit to 1024x1024 or something just in case some massive ones are there.

Back in the day we didn't bother with cover art but it is more common now. I didn't realise people were displaying multiple pics in the skins (I am not) but I have though if I ever do any serious visualization work again displaying teh cover art will be really useful - although I imagine in some player it will not be possible to access this info.....

Most of my collection is mp3 now. I have seen many come and go over the years (ogg, etc) but for compatibility (there are so many potential devices/players now) it still is the most logical.

Old 6th March 2013, 14:51   #11
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovastar View Post
I suspect you are talking about problems with the Musicbrain Picard tagger. Which is still a little buggy but does have the huge benefit of scanning the audio fingerprinting of tracks when a lookup of the tags doesn't work.
Yes I was referring to MusicBrainz Picard, but the fingerprinting is a nice feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovastar View Post
I didn't realise people were displaying multiple pics in the skins (I am not) but I have though if I ever do any serious visualization work again displaying teh cover art will be really useful -
The default Bento skins (all-in-one) which have been provided in the installer package for quite a while, can display multiple images. There is a picture on the main website (Homepage) showing 1 possible way they can be used.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports