Old 20th November 2013, 22:29   #41
Kaminari

"RIP Winamp"

NEVER.

In 15 years, I've seen countless media players come and go. I still use Winamp daily (BenuAmp classic skin FTW) and not just for MP3/MP4/Vorbis/Opus dope. Its chiptune and exotic format support is unrivaled, even by Foobar. XMPlay is nice and is my primary player for modules, but for the rest, Winamp is the shit. It outlived Web 1.0 and will outlive Web 2.0.
Kaminari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 22:37   #42
sleno

Is there even an alternative for simple dj-ing programs like winamp? I don't think so!
sleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 22:40   #43
DrO

sleno: there's nothing stopping people still using Winamp for that
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 22:40   #44
zackbuffo

What the fuck is this...?

I guess AOL is still one of those companies, that don't know how to work with a great product and community. Even beloved M$ is doing better than that...

Hope for open source, but I don't expect AOL being smart enough.

I use Winamp since I use a PC. It's the best player around and I tried to find one from time to time...

Big hand for all the devs that mintained that great piece of software.

Ich suche jemand in Deutschland, der seinen TAMA Starclassic Maple Kesselsatz tauschen möchte BD:22, TT:14, 12, 10. Ich bin mit dem Set sehr zufrieden, habe mich aber an meiner Lackierung "Tequila Sunrise" sattgesehen. Das Set ist von 2002, gepflegt und wurde ausschließlich in Cases transportiert. Bei Interesse bitte PM an mich. Immernoch aktuell in 2018!!!
zackbuffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 22:46   #45
djpete
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleno View Post
Is there even an alternative for simple dj-ing programs like winamp? I don't think so!
Winamp with sqr crossfader 1.72. There is nothing I know of on the internet that crossfades anywhere near this.
So no, there is no alternative IMO and I have been using this combination for over 10 yrs to dj.

Cheers, Pete

Anything & Everything Winamp - All In One Place...
Winamp Enthusiasts Group
djpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 00:17   #46
xpmule

crappy news ? or just change ? (maybe it can live on in some other form later ?)
i appreciate AOL keeping this alive and all the years of work from contributors.
its the only media player i have ever liked going back to somewhere around 2k.
I don't use any online stuff with it so i'm sure i can still use it for a long time to come
xpmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 00:43   #47
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
I really hate the idea of losing the forums. I have invested an enormous part of my life into these forums, and have made lifelong friends. Have the mods/admin discussed the fate or direction of the forums?

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 00:53   #48
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I have already PMed one of the people from the dev-team, because also I myself want, that the forums survive...

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 01:07   #49
Zypher76

No! Nooo! Noooooooo!
I refuse to believe it's true! It must be The Matrix fault!
Hey, r u listening to me and millions of users that won't separate from Winamp?!
Make it back! Is it so hard?
AOL won't pay?! Jeeeeeeeee!
Will they develop Netscape again and spend a lot of money on that shit?
Zypher76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 01:12   #50
TrexRadio

Send a message via ICQ to TrexRadio Send a message via Yahoo to TrexRadio
Just to add on here If DR.O could pop in an answer, what will happen with MP3 license Keys (already purchased & not yet purchased).

And what about shoutcast ? Isnt shoutcast an associated site of winamp?
TrexRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 01:22   #51
djpete
Major Dude

yeah that's a good question Trex.

Cheers, Pete

Anything & Everything Winamp - All In One Place...
Winamp Enthusiasts Group
djpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 01:42   #52
jesseg

I'll add to the question of "what will happen to [n]" with.... Winamp for Android, and the in-app purchases.

Will it still be possible to at least download Winamp and the in-app purchases (pro key and addons) on our devices?? Even if we're able to side-load Winamp without pro, it's almost useless to many without at least having the ReplayGain and FLAC support of Pro. I also own every possible add-on in Winamp for Android, and it would be nice to have a way to sideload those in the future if the play store items are going to be deleted...
jesseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 02:24   #53
roytam1

So another question,

What about this forum site?
If forums.winamp.com will be closed as well, where should shoutcast/NSIS discussions go?
roytam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 03:02   #54
David054Aguilera

save winamp

hi all.. i've been using winamp since i first ever could hand a computer -6 years old- and now i noticed that the entire program development, pages and all the stuff is going down by december 20....
this is not good, i just love this program and i think is the best media player ever!!!!
PLEASE this is not another request of porting it to another OS or whatever, bur to make the winamp source code public and open for anybody to improve it
i dont care about the online and radio services but the media libray, the plugin system and the avs system
if this page is gonna disappear host the code on another place like GitHub of another and if you want to keep making money with it for me restricting the mp3 conversion and other features its ok for me but PLEASE dont erase winamp from the map PLEASE
David054Aguilera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 03:26   #55
plastygrove

I'm with David054Aguilera on this. I've been using Winamp for the last 10 years and it's the only music player I've ever bothered to use on Windows. Not that I haven't tried others, but Winamp was simply a cut above every one else and I always came back to Winamp.

I'm under the impression that monetization is a big problem for AOL which is why they're pulling the plug on Winamp. I've never needed the PRO version because the FREE one does everything I need. But if required, I'll be happy to pay for a PRO copy of Winamp and even 2 if it helps keep it alive.

I work in digital media, so if you need help with Yield optimization, online ads, Adsense or anything with the website, I'm happy to pitch in pro-bono.

And worst case, if you guys still decide to pull the plug, please consider opening up the source code. You can even consider a collection drive for opening up the source code similar to what happened with Blender (3D modelling and animation).
plastygrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 04:11   #56
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

@David05Aguilera: Please see this thread for more info, it is not so bad as you think!

@plastygrove: Probably you should contact DrO, as he will be one of the few developers left to help with things and mostly plugins. If things get heavy (too much demand), maybe he`ll need some monetization (to keep up or just to allow himself to invest time taken from his "paid-jobs").

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Victhor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 05:00   #57
osmosis
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by roytam1 View Post
So another question,

What about this forum site?
If forums.winamp.com will be closed as well, where should shoutcast/NSIS discussions go?
Well I already see one offer on the table from this thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrbnk View Post
If AOL doesn't continue to support this forum, JRiver might be able to do so.

If anyone from AOL is reading, I'd be grateful to discuss how we can help your users.

Thanks.

Jim Hillegass
JRiver
jimh at jriver

Request: A little SmartView Query Language love.
osmosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 05:09   #58
Hanschke

Same for Winamp for Android? Why habe I bought it?
Hanschke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 06:50   #59
dLoc

Winamp is the best media player ever. Im using it since 1997 and never changed to another player. Just can`t believe it`s going to be shutdown

Please make it Open Source!!!
dLoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 06:53   #60
dLoc

Sadest thing of the day

Used winamp since the 90s and i can`t believe it.

Hope it will be available as open source...
dLoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 07:12   #61
JE JaggedEdge

Send a message via ICQ to JE JaggedEdge Send a message via AIM to JE JaggedEdge Send a message via Yahoo to JE JaggedEdge
I just want to say...WOW!

My station started on Winamp long ago in 1999, as Hot98 Jamz and then transitioned into Urban Hitz Radio, soon after. Winamp and the forums will always have its place in history, as a lot of trailblazers have come and gone through these forums. Whether it be for informed discussions or asking questions to learn, I believe the forums should stick around. It is WRONG to get rid of the forums. WRONG!

JE

.::.(())::. Urban Hitz Radio™ USA .::.(())::. The People' Choice for Hip-Hop & R&B!
Listen to Urban Hitz Radio - GET A Local or TOLL-FREE Request Line NOW...Only $2 Monthly
Request Line: 1-855 588-6767
JE JaggedEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 08:28   #62
riahc4

Why is Winamp going to be killed off?

Hello,

Look a lot cant cope with it being killed off because we have used it for years but if you are going to do it, I think we deserve a official reason WHY.
riahc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 08:48   #63
joebloggscity

Winamp

the greatest Music software ever.

This is a sad day, i've used it exclusively for over ten years.

Really hope this can be kept going somehow.
joebloggscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 08:59   #64
Meaney

Petition:

http://www.change.org/en-AU/petition...go-open-source

Please sign and share.

Like dLoc, Winamp is the only media player I've ever used. Since inception.
Meaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 09:15   #65
mike_toreno

Why ?!!

Why ?!!
I use Winamp from years!
I like the program interface, i tried many others, but he is the best for me.
Where is the problem ?
Why they want to kill Winamp ?
This great program deserves to be developed!
mike_toreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 10:07   #66
SugarD-x

Send a message via ICQ to SugarD-x Send a message via AIM to SugarD-x Send a message via MSN to SugarD-x Send a message via Yahoo to SugarD-x Send a message via Skype™ to SugarD-x
In case AOL isn't listening, (which they never seem to do when it comes to their customers/users), we should start planning for the worst-case scenario. At minimum, we need a place to take everything we save before we lose it, else the community will just shatter to pieces as hundreds of tiny, unsuccessful website attempts pop up.

Let's get organized guys. Where do we start? If AOL won't help us, (which they never really did much anyway), then we are on our own to continue the things we know and love. Let's band together and show good, ol' Nullsoft how it's done!

SugarD-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 10:25   #67
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Most of this forum's users already have an account at The Skin Consortium, I feel that is the best place to go now, I'm a moderator there, will try to talk with the main admin to see what can we do (luckily, these forums can be "ported" there).

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Old 21st November 2013, 10:34   #68
DrO

that statement is not true (most users having accounts on there) and personally, if the forums are to go away, it needs to be Winamp specific which SC has not been for a long time.

as for that guy scraping the forums (which personally i'm not happy to see being done as i've not agreed to allow my posts to be archived by someone i have no idea who they are & not to forget it's causing a slow down of the forums). plus 'porting' from one to another is unlikely to go smoothly and how do you ensure all of the user accounts match up, etc.

so it might just be easier to start things fresh (as a lot of the sticky threads / information are out of date) and focus a new forum (if it's to happen) on 5.66 and let things evolve from there.
Old 21st November 2013, 10:51   #69
Jay
Moderator Alumni

I am using my psychic power to predict that most "new" forums and services attempts will be fruitless if the Winamp download is lost. Will AOL allow free redistribution of the final installer?
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 11:17   #70
seyss

This is bullshit. AOL bought Winamp, made Justin leave (I know he made some money), are making millions a month from dialup idiots and now they want to kill Winamp? Why not sell it to a competent person/company or just give it away so it can be open source?

Here is a big F.U. to you AOL.
seyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 11:42   #71
SugarD-x

Send a message via ICQ to SugarD-x Send a message via AIM to SugarD-x Send a message via MSN to SugarD-x Send a message via Yahoo to SugarD-x Send a message via Skype™ to SugarD-x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I am using my psychic power to predict that most "new" forums and services attempts will be fruitless if the Winamp download is lost. Will AOL allow free redistribution of the final installer?
I don't see why not. As long as no one is charging for the services, and it is not claiming ownership/creation rights, then it should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
so it might just be easier to start things fresh (as a lot of the sticky threads / information are out of date) and focus a new forum (if it's to happen) on 5.66 and let things evolve from there.
I agree with this, but we need to work fast if we are to save everything in time. Any ideas? We're talking about hosting, domains, backups of everything needing porting...a forum, a wiki...

SugarD-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 11:53   #72
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Well, change "most" for "a lot of".. Still..

And yes, a fresh start would be ideal, but WHAT EXISTS RIGHT NOW are those forums, I suggested it because of that. And SC is highly 'winamp related' actually, orientated to skinning, but nothing stops from creating proper categories if needed.

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Old 21st November 2013, 11:58   #73
DrO

my point about SC is that basically they split off because they didn't think here was relevant anymore at the time (at least that's how i interpreted it).

with whatever is / isn't happening, pete and i are sorting out something at them moment.
Old 21st November 2013, 12:13   #74
rvrbnk

JRiver can probably pay to host a forum and help with porting if we can get some help from users or from AOL.

We might also pay for a developer, but AOL would need to allow access to the source.

jimh at jriver
rvrbnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 12:48   #75
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
with whatever is / isn't happening, pete and i are sorting out something at them moment.
Well, speaking about sorting things out, did you take a look at my thread? forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=373778, is everything posted there correct? (or I'm missinforming people?)

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Old 21st November 2013, 12:50   #76
sorein

Maybe it's because the stupid developers?

Quote:

as i know i'm going to still keep working on / developing plug-ins as time allows.
Winamp has become so bad that it couldn't even read correctly the length of certain mp3 files. This is due to lazy, narrow-minded developers like DrO. When ALL the other players are capable of reading the length correctly, and Winamp is the only one that cannot, there is a huge problem with the attitude of the parasites around it.
sorein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 12:53   #77
DrO

thank you sorein. i'll definitely be sending you a christmas card this year.
Old 21st November 2013, 13:02   #78
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Aaahh.. Sorein! Glad to see you here! Finally someone from AOL and its always nice constructivism is present! (I could add some other insult but that should be enough..)

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Old 21st November 2013, 13:23   #79
deckarudo

Winamp will NOT die!

I've been using it since the beginning and I've never stopped using this outstanding media player.
deckarudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 13:33   #80
Rovastar

Send a message via AIM to Rovastar
Just heard the news this morning. Not that I am surprised but hoped they would just leave it running on life support.

RIP Winamp. Many years of my life I been spend on it, the forums and plugins I have been helped make.

Congrats to all the staff there who keep it going. I hope you find pastures new and greener.

"Rules are for the guidance of wisemen and the obedience of fools"

Visuals - Morphyre www.Morphyre.com
Rovastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion