Old 20th June 2003, 23:49   #201
xtremeboat

The CD ripping is good, but it can't cope with really bassy stuff very well. Should I have the quality set on high?
xtremeboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2003, 00:22   #202
UltraZelda64

Considering there is no 2.92 on Winamp.com STILL, this is pretty funny. There is no way in hell it should take this long for a final, when all they're doing is adding a useless 20-some KB CD ripper and a bunch of bug fixes. What's even more pathetic is that it doesn't support the main format - MP3 - out of the box. What seemed useless before seems just plain stupid now that you need to get the LAME codec copied to the plug-ins folder just to rip CDs in MP3 format.
UltraZelda64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2003, 07:25   #203
Synthet1k

Quote:
Originally posted by UltraZelda64
Considering there is no 2.92 on Winamp.com STILL, this is pretty funny. There is no way in hell it should take this long for a final, when all they're doing is adding a useless 20-some KB CD ripper and a bunch of bug fixes. What's even more pathetic is that it doesn't support the main format - MP3 - out of the box. What seemed useless before seems just plain stupid now that you need to get the LAME codec copied to the plug-ins folder just to rip CDs in MP3 format.
STFU. Please.
Synthet1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2003, 20:18   #204
Budgie
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Budgie
Quote:
Originally posted by Synthet1k
STFU. Please.
Chill, kid

What UltraZelda said was actually right.

Please consider the Forum Rules before posting utter crap. Thank you!
Budgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2003, 20:22   #205
prodangle
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Budgie
No it was not. It was Zelda's opinion. Just because you agree with it does not make it 'right'.
prodangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2003, 20:22   #206
Budgie
Major Dude

Quote:
Well, I agree with you and wonder why beta testing of v2.92 is taking that long to complete. Maybe more stuff Nullsoft's gonna add?

Also, if they were to include Winamp with an MP3 codec, even the LAME codec, they would have to pay licence fees to Fraunhofer/Thomson, which are quite high (btw, already posted here ). OGG Vorbis is free and good, that's why they included it. And you cannot really get LAME for free either, unless you know how to compile the sourcecode, as the sourcecode is available for free. Of course there are many sites with the binaries and everything available, but it's all about licence fees. You can download the working codec and use it freely but Nullsoft would have to pay licence fees as it would be of commercial use to include it with Winamp. Get the point?

Old 22nd June 2003, 20:23   #207
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

Right, the view was that since you've already seen a preview of 2.92, they're going to develop it a bit further and fix a few more bugs that people have spotted before it's released.

Please don't unfoundedly criticise when you don't know the whole story.

(and what Budgie said about the MP3 encoder, it can't be distributed with winamp because of licensing issues)

For long you live and high you fly, but only if you ride the tide, and balanced on the biggest wave you race towards an early grave.
|Musicbrainz|Audioscrobbler|last.fm|
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2003, 20:26   #208
Budgie
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by prodangle
No it was not. It was Zelda's opinion. Just because you agree with it does not make it 'right'.
Beta testing for, let's say, basically the cd ripper, some media library enhancements including some bug fixes, is indeed taking a bit too long, don't you agree?

So what do we conclude?

a) new features,
b) even more bugfixes,
c) drunk programmers who can't do shit right .

*sarcasm mode /off*

Old 22nd June 2003, 20:27   #209
Budgie
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
Right, the view was that since you've already seen a preview of 2.92, they're going to develop it a bit further and fix a few more bugs that people have spotted before it's released.
As with most programs, beta versions are most likely to be quite a bit different from the final product .

*hopes for native unicode support*

Old 22nd June 2003, 20:30   #210
prodangle
Major Dude

Quote:
Beta testing for, let's say, basically the cd ripper, some media library enhancements including some bug fixes, is indeed taking a bit too long, don't you agree?

a) Yes? Ok, fine, then be quiet .
b) No? Ah well, who'd you ask anyway?

*sarcasm mode /off*
Not being able to encode mp3s out of the box is stupid? I'd say that's an opinion, and 2 weeks for beta testing? In my opinion that's a very short time.

[edit]
And now you've edited your post to offer another option. Until you code something better yourself, do as Synthet1k says and STFU
Old 22nd June 2003, 20:32   #211
Budgie
Major Dude

2 weeks for beta testing for just a cd ripping component is long . Well, conclusion: More features, more fixes for the final v2.92. The longer it takes, the more likely it is that everybody will just be happy with the final .

And for not being able to encode mp3s out of the box is not an issue to me, I got different programs for that .

Old 22nd June 2003, 20:34   #212
prodangle
Major Dude

Quote:
2 weeks for beta testing for just a cd ripping component is long . Well, conclusion: More features, more fixes for the final v2.92. The longer it takes, the more likely it is that everybody will just be happy with the final .

And for not being able to encode mp3s out of the box is not an issue to me, I got different programs for that .
UltraZelda64 said it was an issue. You disagree with him. Therefore, what he said was an opinion after all.
Old 22nd June 2003, 20:35   #213
Budgie
Major Dude

Quote:
[edit]
And now you've edited your post to offer another option. Until you code something better yourself, do as Synthet1k says and STFU
You obviously overlooked that it was meant sarcastically

I highly appreciate Nullsoft's work and what Winamp has become. The longer they take for the final v2.92, the happier everybody is gonna be for a rock solid version.

Old 22nd June 2003, 20:38   #214
Budgie
Major Dude

Quote:
UltraZelda64 said it was an issue. You disagree with him. Therefore, what he said was an opinion after all.
Did I ever say it was not an opinion?
I just agreed with the fact that beta testing is taking too long for just a bunch of features, so I concluded that there will be more features and fixes for an even more solid version. And that's just fine with me .

Old 22nd June 2003, 20:40   #215
prodangle
Major Dude

Quote:

Did I ever say it was not an opinion?
Quote:

I quote you.
Old 22nd June 2003, 20:43   #216
Budgie
Major Dude

lol do you even read my posts? Obviously not.

It's a matter of fact that beta testing takes too long for a couple of minor fixes. That's a matter of fact. And that's all what I agreed with UltraZelda. And I personally concluded that there will be more features and fixes, or it wouldn't take that long, would it?

For fuck sakes.

Old 22nd June 2003, 20:48   #217
prodangle
Major Dude

Quote:
lol do you even read my posts? Obviously not.

It's a matter of fact that beta testing takes too long for a couple of minor fixes. That's a matter of fact. And that's all what I agreed with UltraZelda. And I personally concluded that there will be more features and fixes, or it wouldn't take that long, would it?

For fuck sakes.
No, it is a matter of opinion whether or not the testing is taking too long, and it is a matter of opinion whether or not these fixes are minor. You did not say that you thought just one particular part of zelda's post was right, you said that he was 'right'.
Ross told you that there will be more features, you did not deduce that for yourself Sherlock. Anyone can scroll up through the thread and see that.
Old 22nd June 2003, 20:50   #218
Budgie
Major Dude

Well, duh, if development of a program takes long, then isn't it close to conclude there will be more/better stuff inside it, no matter if announced or not? And I frankly don't think programmers are taking a break, either .

And maybe I was too short about the "UltraZelda was right" post. Blame me . Oh stop, you already did a couple of times

Old 22nd June 2003, 23:16   #219
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2003, 15:48   #220
Wish
Major Dude

Umm, I wouldn't use the cd ripping component. It defaults to ANALOG atm, which is definately not as good as a digitally ripped wav from EAC. And the digital mode has problems which hasn't been fixed yet, so it cannot be used confidently either.
Wish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2003, 16:25   #221
killswitch1968

Features galore

I guess I feel the same way about rippers as I do about video support:
If you're going to do it, do it well

And that would seem to take a lot of development. Is this ripper going to be up to the standard as Exact Audio Copy, or as feature rich as CDex? I like the video player but often I'm running to VLC on many formats, and it should at the very least encorporate an error message if a video can't be played.

But the ripper will support any codec we feed it? FLAC? Lame? Blade? and especially Ogg vorbis?

They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards you hear satanic messages. That's nothing, if you play it forwards it installs Windows.
killswitch1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2003, 16:40   #222
AtiUser

Send a message via ICQ to AtiUser
Re: Features galore

Quote:
Originally posted by killswitch1968
But the ripper will support any codec we feed it? FLAC? Lame? Blade? and especially Ogg vorbis?
Ogg Vorbis ripping is part of the Winamp installer, Lame is supported by a plugin, but I can't believe that they integrate support for other formats like Flac,Blade,MPC
AtiUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2003, 21:55   #223
papadoc
Comfortably Numb
(Forum King)

What do I need to do in 2.92 to get continuous mixed CD's to play,
without a gap or skipp inbetween songs?
papadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2003, 23:11   #224
Sawg

@killswitch1968
Assuming someone write an encoder for that specific format.

@papadoc
The saw way with all 2.9X:
Preferences (Ctrl-P) > Plug-ins > Input Double Click "CD/LineIn" > Enable Digital Audio Extraction.

May still be a slight gap. Try using DirectSound output and it's options.

@Everyone
Winamp 2.92 will be out when it is out. Whining won't make it come out any faster. Flaming other users for having a different opinion won't make it come out any faster. If you continue to flame each other this thread will be locked.

If you don't like a feature, don't use it. I will upload in_cdda from 2.91 to my site (Sawg Stuff) soon for the people being anal about 2.92's CD Ripper.
Old 23rd June 2003, 23:28   #225
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

'nuff sed

@papadoc
in_cdda.dll -> config:
Checkmark: Enable DAE
Uncheck: sample input...

DirectSound Output -> config:
Buffer tab: Increase "buffer ahead on track change" to eg. 1200ms
Other tab: Checkmark "remove silence", adjust "cut off" value accordingly.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2003, 23:41   #226
papadoc
Comfortably Numb
(Forum King)

Thanks Egg
papadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2003, 00:56   #227
killswitch1968

Quote:
Originally posted by Sawg
@killswitch1968
Assuming someone write an encoder for that specific format.
Thanks Sawg, what about the ripper itself though? Does it have the jitter correction of EAC's secure mode or CDex's paranoia mode?

They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards you hear satanic messages. That's nothing, if you play it forwards it installs Windows.
killswitch1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2003, 03:18   #228
sanosuke
Major Dude

currently it is just a basic ripper. but so far by the response it is quite good.

Big-assed signature deleted by errr.. whats his name again??
sanosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2003, 03:19   #229
jarsonic
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to jarsonic
Nope, no jitter correction yet. Whether the final will have that is up to Justin. Essentially, people who care enough about the quality of their music to use EAC or CDex will use that. The majority of listeners, realistically, don't understand enough about digital audio or audio encoding to really notice, though. The CD Ripping component of 2.92 is not bad, by a long shot, but it's not going to be as feature-rich as something like EAC. However, it will now have the features of such other media players as Music Match Jukebox, or whatever, perhaps even a better implementation.

As far as the "it's taking far too long to beta test" comments, daily I'm getting e-mails from the betalist about bugs being found. Remember, winamp 2.xx is close to perfect, and it's the nit-picky details that are being addressed right now, to further refine the application. Be patient, and you will have a better product.

- `jarsonic

do justly | love mercy | walk humbly
jarsonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2003, 12:46   #230
UltraZelda64

Ok, yes, what I said WAS an opinion. Obviously, how hard is that to find out? I don't need to STFU. Whatever you say, MP3 may not be the latest or the greatest, but it's easily the most used. I bet if I walked into the local Horizon Audio, I wouldn't find a single Ogg car CD player. Hell, no one would probably even know what Ogg is. So in my opinion, yes - opinion, I think it's stupid for them to even bother including it in the first place if they can't even use the most widely-used or popular format. I wouldn't be using it to begin with, so it doesn't bother me, but I just think it's stupid. And look at classic.winamp.com:

Winamp 2.91, Released 4/17/2003

Look at the date. 6/24/2003. All this time and they're still messing around with 2.92, which a beta was leaked for a couple weeks ago. And again, just a bunch of bug fixes and (cheap) CD ripping support. Really, they're making us wait this long, they might as well skip the bug fixes for now and actually put some features in that people would actually use. I don't know about you guys, but Winamp is about perfect as far as stability goes as it is. I don't see what the hell needs "fixed." I haven't ran into a bug or crash in the program in a hell of a long time, who knows how many version numbers ago. Yet, the major upgrades from 2.91 to 2.92 again:

- Bug fixes (since when were there any that the average music listener finds?)
- CD Ripping (useless)

Get my point? Maybe some version in the future Nullsoft will decide to start adding useful features and quit worrying about bugs. Hell... Winamp 3 is what needs some bug and stability fixes. Not Winamp 2.

Edit: Just finished reading the remaining replies of this topic.

Quote:
As far as the "it's taking far too long to beta test" comments, daily I'm getting e-mails from the betalist about bugs being found. Remember, winamp 2.xx is close to perfect, and it's the nit-picky details that are being addressed right now, to further refine the application. Be patient, and you will have a better product.
That's what I'm talking about. Hopefully this means eventually they'll give up on the bugs soon and get back to improving and adding features.
Old 24th June 2003, 13:42   #231
AtiUser

Send a message via ICQ to AtiUser
Quote:
Hell... Winamp 3 is what needs some bug and stability fixes.
I agree Winamp 3 really needs bug and stability fixes.

The in_vorbis.dll is fixed by Peter, so I hope they release 2.92 finally.
AtiUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2003, 15:09   #232
BKDotCom

What kind of mentality is this?

Quote:
UltraZelda64 said
Get my point? Maybe some version in the future Nullsoft will decide to start adding useful features and quit worrying about bugs.
I want more features and buggier software!
I think you want Real Player.
BKDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2003, 15:26   #233
UltraZelda64

Quote:
I want more features and buggier software!
I think you want Real Player.
God damn, I swear this board is full of fucking idiots. Notice I said in that paragraph you quoted "...start adding useful features...," and USEFUL was italic. Can anyone read properly and respond normally without bitching here? It's pretty bad when a board is so full of Nullsoft ass-kissing fans that you can't disagree without being told to "STFU" or to go use RealPlayer or some other bullshit.

If you could read correctly and actually interpret what I was saying, you'd find out that I disagree on Nullsoft adding useless shit like some cheap ass CD ripper and a bunch of useless bug fixes when the software is already perfect to anyone who uses it for what it's made for (MUSIC) and doesn't have an old, outdated machine. How about multiple Repeat/Shuffle modes? Nah, just a few bug fixes that won't help anything and a worthless CD ripper.
Old 24th June 2003, 15:34   #234
amano
Major Dude

wuahahah.

@zelda64: they are working on full featured WA3 skin support already.
there are already samples of it working. maybe it won't be included in 2.92, but they are working hard on it.

and bug fixing IS important, above all for those who run into these bugs.

and yes, this board is full of winamp fans. guess what: this is the winamp board. if YOU don't like it use another player or just stop bitching yourself. they will release winamp 2.92 when they feel it's ready. no bitching will help there.

and please stop the feature discussion. there is justin's .plan out for quite a while and according to this plan winamp will provide cd ripping and cd burning and wa3 skin support. they are already working on these new components (OK: plugins) and it doesn't make sense to discuss these things NOW. you should have discussed it when justins .plan was revealed. now it's too late, but wait, all these plugins will improve in future as winamp in general has been improving over the years. other features that YOU consider "more useful" may be added as well but decent (NOT top notch) cd ripping and burning and WA3 skin support will be the next features. we know this plan for quite a long time and they won't change it just for you because they are working on these features already.
if you suggest features, that would be useful for you, just post them in the wishlist and MAYBE they will be included in justin's next plans.

EDIT: typo

eeeee eeeeeee eeeee eeeee eeeee
8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 88
8eee8 8e 8 8 8eee8 8e 8 8 8
88 8 88 8 8 88 8 88 8 8 8
88 8 88 8 8 88 8 88 8 8eee8

Last edited by amano; 24th June 2003 at 15:53.
amano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2003, 16:24   #235
Budgie
Major Dude

Quote:
God damn, I swear this board is full of fucking idiots.
What do you think made me leave the boards for ~2 years?

Now returning back I see the board is even more crowded by morons than I thought it would be. Without naming individuals, only a few exceptions have me coming back here, mainly users from the old-school forum days back in 2000 .

Here in the forums you can't really make your opinion public without a couple of smart-ass idiots flaming you about your opinion (lol, see this thread ).

Ah well ...

[edit]Shouldn't we move this thread into the BITCHLIST forum anyway? [/edit]

Old 24th June 2003, 16:29   #236
Reaper
Forum King

Quote:
If you could read correctly and actually interpret what I was saying, you'd find out that I disagree on Nullsoft adding useless shit like some cheap ass CD ripper and a bunch of useless bug fixes when the software is already perfect to anyone who uses it for what it's made for (MUSIC) and doesn't have an old, outdated machine. How about multiple Repeat/Shuffle modes? Nah, just a few bug fixes that won't help anything and a worthless CD ripper.
Disagree or agree the CD Ripper is there and I don't see a valid reson why they would remove it. Making it modular would be acceptable though. Who are you to say the bug fixing is useless? You don't have access to the source code, so you don't know if the code is perfect or what needs fixing.
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2003, 16:31   #237
Budgie
Major Dude

Quote:
How about multiple Repeat/Shuffle modes? Nah, just a few bug fixes that won't help anything and a worthless CD ripper.
For fuck sakes, I am waiting for multiple Repeat/Shuffle modes for too damn long now . The crop function of the playlist doesn't cut it by far. And no, there ain't no damn plugin for that .

Wouldn't it be so easy to toss in some configurable settings for the Shuffle and Repeat functions in the preferences tab? That way you wouldn't even change the default skin ...

Frankly, a CD ripper was the last feature I would have wished for in Winamp ...

Old 24th June 2003, 16:34   #238
Budgie
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Reaper
Disagree or agree the CD Ripper is there and I don't see a valid reson why they would remove it. Making it modular would be acceptable though.
As long as they keep additional components like CD ripping or burning, even, in their own seperate DLLs in a modular way, I wouldn't say anything at all here . I just would choose not to install it in the first place.

Modular, please. Then everybody will be happy .

Old 25th June 2003, 00:15   #239
lunarboy1
Forum King

Quote:
What do you think made me leave the boards for ~2 years?

Now returning back I see the board is even more crowded by morons than I thought it would be. Without naming individuals, only a few exceptions have me coming back here, mainly users from the old-school forum days back in 2000 .

Here in the forums you can't really make your opinion public without a couple of smart-ass idiots flaming you about your opinion (lol, see this thread ).

Ah well ...

[edit]Shouldn't we move this thread into the BITCHLIST forum anyway? [/edit]
winamp3 brought a WHOLE WHOLE lot of them. I was with wa3 from its first alpha and the more it progressed the greater amount of dumb posts. I usually don't say much anymore.

I actually don't care about the "lack of effort" with the programmers, or atleast as some of you claim. I must also remind you that the small company of Nullsoft is working on WA2.xx and making that quite cool from when i first had winamp (around 2.5 I think, maybe earlier). I love the media library and it's use of multiple playlists. Mainly the features I loved in wa3 are now in 2.xx.

ALSO, they are designing and refining the Nullsoft Streaming Video format for video. I heard rumors of something like SHOUTcast 3 coming or some big improvement with SHOUTcast coming soon. Like more friendly to videos or something. I dunno, don't follow it too much. Some are working hard getting the freeform skinning plug-in to work for 2.xx. And some are still working on winamp 3 to get it moving to linux.

I think those are a lot of quite large projects by such a small company. I like what they are doing and they haven't let me down itn the past. Just chill people. It's all good .
lunarboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2003, 00:44   #240
poopstick

I have been a loyal winamp user for at least seven years. I have been reading these forums for a long time but this my first post. I usually use the forums to find out the latest about winamp but now I can't find anything good. The reason, sissy bitches with no life complaining about CD ripping!!!! Cd ripping was a feature that in the past I have requested many times. I also use CDEX for ripping. Before That I used Windac. Regardless of that fact I think this feature is awesome. Now I don't have to hear my girlfriend ask me to rip some crappy cd she borrowed. She is already using the new feature. She pops in the cd. it autoloads in winamp. She clicks a total of two times and whamo!!!! Her songs are ripped into a shared folder available anywhere on my home network with proper folder names and tags and all. I prase the winamp gods and say keep up the good work. Winamp is and always will be the best sounding audio player on the planet! Everyone keep in mind that winamp has millions of users and most of them are only about as smart as my girlfriend.
poopstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion