Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

View Poll Results: Should Winamp Support other Browsers?
Internet Explorer 5 11.63%
FireFox 29 67.44%
AoL Helix 1 2.33%
Saffari 0 0%
Other 8 18.60%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28th September 2007, 08:24   #1
tigger4046

Send a message via AIM to tigger4046
Browser Choice

Did install on my IE browser, but will we have the option for additional browser selections such as FireFox or Helix?
tigger4046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2007, 09:03   #2
YtseJam
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to YtseJam Send a message via AIM to YtseJam
So you put up a browser like AOL Helix, but you forget about the real 3rd alternative brower Opera? Living in a bubble are we... sigh...

YtseJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2007, 11:18   #3
flocksoft
Major Dude

this poll is useful only for statistical purpose because from Official Wishlist:
Option to use Mozilla (or other default browser) for Now Playing
Not going to happen according to the devs.

Saffari? too bugs so far
AOL Helix? it's Internet Explorer-based (at least, I think so...)

@YtseJam
I agree
flocksoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2007, 15:24   #4
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
And until throws browsers come built into Windows, I really wouldn't expect it. IE has built in controls allowing any Windows program to use it, the other browsers do not.

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2007, 16:06   #5
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

What your asking for is for Winamp to come bundled with one of, or all of Gecko, WebCore, Presto or maybe KHTML.

You'd think there would be a lot of overhead in doing that. And guess what? There is.

Not. Going. To. Happen.

The only other option is if those runtimes start installing themselves on a system level, with availability for use inside other applications in the same way as IE's Trident.
Last I checked, Gecko was the only one thinking of doing this, and that plan was long since scrapped.

CraigF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2007, 22:15   #6
Omega X
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Omega X Send a message via Yahoo to Omega X
I thought that I answered this already...somewhere.

@ CraigF

IT wasn't exactly scrapped. It was kind of pushed back into the Mozilla2 framework plans.
Omega X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2007, 15:01   #7
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

Please offer links to back that up, because from what I have gathered, XULRunner is the current focus.

Old 1st October 2007, 20:43   #8
hannes

I agree with YtseJam. Where's Opera??
hannes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2007, 23:15   #9
pjn123
Major Dude

Yes! Where is OPERA!!!

ClassicPro© v2.01 : This plugin allows you to use cPro skins in Winamp. ClassicPro skins are all SUI skins and loads very quickly. ClassicPro skins is even easier to skin than Winamp Classic skins. A new layout have been added since version 2.
Download ClassicPro© ==== cPro Skins ==== ClassicPro© Homepage ==== SC Forums
pjn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2007, 00:31   #10
retchless

Why though? Sure you get fewer CSS bugs with firefox, but that's a non-issue for any competant web developer... Winamp uses its own browser controls, so that's not any reason to use firefox... Sure you can play the security card, but honestly, Firefox has security vulnerabilities too.. Such is the nature of the web. I love Firefox. It's absolutely the best browser available.. and I realize that people want choice, but is choice really worth the overhead? Maybe... but I don't care.. and neither does the average joe i'm afraid.
retchless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2007, 04:56   #11
iron2000

To me browser choices shouldn't be priority as Winamp is a media player. I don't surf using Winamp.

Thanx
iron2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2007, 17:19   #12
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

Pointless discussion anyway, because its not happening for technical reasons that are a long way from being rectified, if ever.

Old 3rd October 2007, 20:52   #13
Brian P

I like how the question asked is "Should Winamp Support other Browsers?" but the option "No" is suspiciously missing.

I, for one, would like the devs to concentrate on fixing bugs and adding USEFUL features to Winamp, rather than bothing to integrate various browsers into a program that, frankly, has no business being used as a web browser anyway.

PS: Opera 4life.
Brian P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2007, 23:44   #14
Omega X
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by CraigF
Please offer links to back that up, because from what I have gathered, XULRunner is the current focus.
http://wiki.mozilla.org/Mozilla_2
Old 4th October 2007, 00:16   #15
soulstace

@hannes
@YtseJam

How are you going to embed a third party browser that is not open source into Winamp?

Winamp would actually have to launch an instance of Opera.exe

It doesn't have to do this with Internet Explorer because IE has controls available (as Sawg already mentioned).
soulstace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2007, 03:10   #16
hannes

@soulstace

I also think that its pointless supporting or including another browser in winamp, IE is fine for that.

But if you're just mentioning browsers to support, the best one around should be mentioned along with them!
hannes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2007, 16:45   #17
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Omega X
http://wiki.mozilla.org/Mozilla_2
Nothing in that brief makes mention to systemwide-installation of the Mozilla runtimes. Unless I am missing something, I'm still led to believe that Mozilla are not moving to a systemwide distribution akin to Java/.NET, meaning that Winamp would still have to distribute its own copy of the runtime vastly increasing bloat.

Old 4th October 2007, 20:46   #18
Omega X
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by CraigF
Nothing in that brief makes mention to systemwide-installation of the Mozilla runtimes. Unless I am missing something, I'm still led to believe that Mozilla are not moving to a systemwide distribution akin to Java/.NET, meaning that Winamp would still have to distribute its own copy of the runtime vastly increasing bloat.
No, they said that they did not want to do that. But they did say that they wanted XULRunner apps to share runtime instead of opening up separate versions unless it was specifically necessary do to so. However I do not know if that is still in the plans. There are also plans on that page for embedding a la IE(which is why I linked it).
Old 4th October 2007, 22:37   #19
mikm
Major Dude

Why doesn't anybody care about lynx? I refuse to use Winamp until the developers stop all their work to make lynx an option for the browser.