Old 27th October 2012, 13:43   #1
bhiranya

Winamp won't run after upgrade to Windows 8 Pro

Long time fan and user of winamp, since the early years, and I have never had any major issues (except for the playlist generator crash, but I've learnt to live without it).

But yesterday I upgraded from Win 7 Ultimate to Win 8 Pro and got everything to finally work except winamp. I have tried re-installing, complete uninstall and re-install (user files, plugins, everything erased) and yet to no avail. I have tried compatability modes, administrator mode, compatability in administrator and still zilch. When I execute the program it pops up in the task manage for a brief second or two and then disappears.

I really hope this is a simple fix because I have searched the entire forum and the interweb and have come to the conclusion that I might be the only one with this issue, so anyone have any ideas as to what the problem may be? (Or just solution?)

Thanks in advance!
bhiranya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2012, 13:59   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi,

Give the WA devs a little time. Compatibility upgrades for a new OS are not started until the OS is released. You may be able to have some limited use. See threads linked below.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=346855

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=347077

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2012, 14:21   #3
DrO

the current Winamp release runs as expected on Windows 8 from what i've had a chance to test yesterday - the only thing i didn't install was the sonic engine (but then i generally don't install it). and so far from what i've heard / seen, no one on the team has seen such a failure.

so maybe it's coming from doing an in-place upgrade (as it sounds like you may have done) compared to just a complete clean OS install as i and others have done (and if it's just from that then i don't know why an upgrade would cause the issue being seen).

so really all i can suggest is to go to the Winamp\plugins folder and start by moving out all of the ml_* plug-ins to another folder to see if that has any effect. if that doesn't help then move onto the gen_* plug-ins and if that doesn't work then there's something really messed up with your install. if it loads once the gen_* are moved out of the folder, you'd then need to move them back in one at a time until it fails again.

alas it's tedious but that's the best i can suggest if the process won't stay loaded.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2012, 20:39   #4
bhiranya

Thanks guys. Winamps worked fine on the consumer preview (different machine, identical setup), which is why its confusing as to why this is happening on the official release.

DrO, I'll do as suggested and keep you posted.
Old 27th October 2012, 21:35   #5
bhiranya

Moved all ml_ and gen_ plugins, still nothing. This is frustrating since I miss my winamp audio clarity and all my music is on this machine
Old 31st October 2012, 20:18   #6
bhiranya

A quick update. Seems that a clean uninstall of winamp (registry values and all) and reinstalls did nothing, but a reinstall of an older version (so far upto version 5.5) seems to work fine. Anything 5.6 and up results in nothing.

EDIT: Correction, it seems like the last working version for me under Win 8 Pro (in place upgrade) is 5.56
Old 24th November 2012, 15:15   #7
peterdn

I'm also having this issue after doing an in-place upgrade of Windows 8 Pro x64. In the meanwhile I am using 5.56 as per bhiranya's suggestion.
peterdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2013, 18:04   #8
RockFox

5.63 install in Windows 8 stalls

I did a clean install of Windows 8 Pro. When I download the Winamp Pro 5.63 via Internet Explorer the security scan takes a long time and then my whole Windows 8 runs v-e-r-y slowly. I haven't even started the install yet. When I reboot I find the install files is in my Downloads directory. Interesting thing is that I can't delete it unless I boot into Safe Mode. I have installed other programs OK.

I originally had Windows 8 running on a virtual hard drive. I installed Winamp 5.63 there OK. But since then I have installed a new hard drive and graphics card and reinstalled Windows 8 on the new HDD.
RockFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 13:19   #9
RockFox

I have resolved the problem. I shutdown my anti-virus (GFI Vipre) and the install ran OK.

Then I copied the WINAMP folder from Windows 7 APPDATA\ROAMING\WINAMP to te same location on Windows 8 and I got all of my old configuration. I'm a happy camper now.
Old 6th February 2013, 14:02   #10
RockFox

The problem was not with Winamp or Vipre. Turns out I was running two firewalls: 1) Windows Firewall and 2) Vipre Firewall. I started services.msc and disabled startup of Windows Firewall and Windows Defender. Everything is cool now.
Old 7th February 2013, 23:44   #11
bhiranya

My suggestion was going to be exactly what you figured out (i.e. check your firewall if not antivirus program). Kudos figuring it out.
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
win8, windows 8