Old 27th February 2011, 19:22   #1
heplers

Auto Tag Stopped working after 5.601 pro update

I have the standard pro install with no extra plugins or anything added. When using the "send to" menu and then auto tag it says done on the first item in the list and stays at analyzing on the second item. On the done item nothing is changed. Also...when using auto tag from the "file Info" menu on a single item it always say "Match not found" imediately after hitting auto tag. Does not matter what tracks I do this on. I have another computer running 5.56 and it works fine.

I am running Windows7 64bit with all updated patches.

Any help is much appreciated. I have completely uninstalled and reinstalled from scratch several time and no go. It is like it is just connecting to gracenote. I have turned off all firewalls and such just to be sure and of course that did not work either.

Shane
Old 1st March 2011, 04:38   #2
heplers

Can anyone at least point me in the direction of where the gracenote config is kept or the local file it makes for the cddb? It is almost like something is corrupt but is not removed in the uninstall. My pro key and all of my settings are there when I reinstall as well as this problem and I am removing the winamp dir after I uninstall.
Old 5th March 2011, 04:43   #3
heplers

Wow....No one has any ideas....Come on tech support guys....I paid for this app and want to work with the auto-tag gracenote part....it used to work!!!
Old 5th March 2011, 18:57   #4
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

No replies usually means no one else is seeing the same problem on their setup. My Vista 64-bit PC is happy with AutoTag, used it just a few minutes ago.

Does it work when you try and rip a CD? Pop a disk in and then look at the CD Ripping section. Are the track names filled in?

The money you paid for Pro went to the MP3 and H264 licences. There is not many spare Winamp staff around to do the support. It is just us Winamp fans.

Check the Winamp preferences. Down the bottom, in Plug-ins\Media Library you should find "Nullsoft Auto-Tagger v2.04 [ml_autotag.dll]" listed. Now also go and double check if you can locate the .dll in Winamp's plugins folder.
Old 19th April 2011, 03:19   #5
heplers

Still can't figure it out

Thanks for the reply...I have been out of town. I have the dll in the proper place. Have uninstalled and re-installed and it still does not work. Have it working on a Vista 32 and 64 bit with no issues. Not sure what could be causing it. It does not work for CDs either. It either just hangs or gets no match found every time. Any ideas of other things to try I would appreciate it.
Old 19th April 2011, 10:01   #6
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

The settings for Winamp are found in %appdata%\winamp (Or C:\Users\helpers\appdata\roaming\winamp)

In there you can find a gracenote folder. With winamp closed, you could try renaming/deleting this folder. I just tried on mine, and found that a fresh folder was generated by Winamp when I next used the Gracenote database.

As you suggested earlier, you may have a corrupt database.
Old 6th May 2011, 06:13   #7
najarip

I have a very similar problem. Since I installed 5.6.1 (Pro latest) on 5-4-2011, Gracenote crashes my system. Even Windows Explorer does not respond anymore.

This happens when ripping a cd, Gracenote connects and when it's processing it complete freezes.

I fully uninstalled and this worked, but a few weeks later the same problem came back. Reinstalling and keeping user settings did not solve the problem. Deleting the gracenote folder in roaming/winamp/plugins/gracenote didn't help either. Switching to 5.5.8 didn't fix it.

Completely reinstalling: no fix.

There's definitely something wrong with Gracenote, it has worked for months without problems on the same computer (Windows 7 64 bit)
Old 6th May 2011, 09:43   #8
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

@najarip: Does Gracenote only crash when tagging a CD? OR can you trigger a crash by using the Send To -> Auto-Tag function from within the media library?
Old 9th May 2011, 19:37   #9
najarip

@Batter Pudding: When I use the Auto Tag functionality, WinAmp does not crash. I can see that it connects to Gracenote. It's a CD that is not on gracenote and WinAmp crashes when inserting the CD. When I rip with another program and use Auto-tag in Winamp on the tracks, WinAmp does not crash, but doesn't find the trackinfo either (figures).

Does this help?
Old 9th May 2011, 19:53   #10
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

@najarip: As mentioned above, I am not a dev so just trying to help narrow this down.

Where are you ripping your CD to? Are you in the Win 7 User Folders (i.e. My Music) or trying to do this somewhere weird like C:\Program Files\ ?

I see you have tried the sensible - rip tracks elsewhere and then autotag. Which at least shows us that Gracenote in general is working.

Usually when a CD that Gracenote does not recognise is inserted for ripping, Gracenote causes a dialog box to appear asking you to add in the details to their database. I am going to dig through my CDs and find one that Gracenote will not know and see what happens. It could be a bug with that dialog box causing a crash.

Does Gracenote work okay on a normal recognised CD when ripping?
Old 9th May 2011, 20:27   #11
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

okay. Stuffed in an unrecognised CD, but still got a Gracenote window appear. And this time I saw the one that asked me if I wanted to submit details.

No crash of Winamp...

BUT... I use the Opera Web Browser, and at some point in the past an installer for it associated it with more files that it should have. And when I had this unrecognised CD inserted - I got a dialog box appear with an Opera title telling me the program had quit because it could not locate MSVCR90.dll (And yet Opera was not involved as it was running happy in the background...)

So - could you have other programs registered to Auto-Play a CD that are mis-firing and then clashing with Winamp?
Old 9th May 2011, 20:41   #12
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

I think I may have a clue.... do you have the advertising "Show Info" panel open at the bottom of the Winamp ripping window? This is why Opera is "crashing" for me as that window tries to load URLs and other links connected to the CD being ripped.

Opera, for me, does not crash as it catches the exception, complains about a missing dll, and then allows me to exit. This implies to me that AOL is trying to launch by web browser in an odd way from the wrong location.

Normally I have this "Show Info" window hidden, and on top of that I block the advertising \ "more info" URLs that AOL tries to access.

When I had that panel open, I had dozens of the Opera Dialogs flashing up which I had to dismiss one by one.

So - my theory is - a CD that is not in the gracenote database causes problems for these AOL adverts, and depending on which web browser you use as default depends on the "crash" action that happens next.
Old 18th May 2011, 20:25   #13
najarip

No such luck. Even with the Show Info panel hidden WinAmp crashes when looking up the CD. It stops processing on "Verwerken..." (Dutch), which means "processing..." I guess.

Are there no Winamp people in this forum who may know a fix for this?
Old 18th May 2011, 23:40   #14
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

If you want any chance of official help, you need to read the sticky and start adding in full details of your plugins, etc.

The key thing to notice is - this is only happening to you. Other people would scream otherwise. So there is something "not standard" about your setup causing this.
Old 11th June 2011, 15:36   #15
najarip

Finally got around to doing some work on the problem. I uninstalled Winamp en reinstalled it, no fix. Then I uninstalled WinAmp with Your Uninstaller en reinstalled it, this fixed it. My guess is, something indeed was wrong with WinAmp and not my system...

Anyway, fixed for now.
Old 23rd August 2011, 16:11   #16
ClintJCL2

Yea, mine didn't work at all after I ported my folder to my Windows 7 install.

I googled some info, installed the missing components (even though it worked fine before -- same folder under XP) -- got it working.

Came back a week later - it's not working. I right click, send to autotag - and nothing comes up. Consistently.

Then I find threads like these, where people aren't really helped.

Disappointed in autotagger. Winamp user for over 10 yrs -- this stuff should be settled by now IMNSHO.

-Clio
AMD Athlon 900mHz, 256M RAM, 280GB, Win2K, SB Live Platinum 5.1, ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 32M DDR.
Old 23rd August 2011, 17:40   #17
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

@ClintJCL2: The problem is Clint that we have lots of us users not seeing a problem with Auto-Tag. (Mine is fine on 64bit Vista and Win7) So the game starts by playing "spot the difference" between an broken install and a new one. And nearly every time the fault comes down to an old Plug-In.

This is why there is always a request for lists of plugins, but as you can see by this thread, some people get annoyed when you ask for extra details to help them. And there are only two people on this thread - one never came back and the other solved his problem with a clean install (that "uninstaller" he used would have scrub the old settings out of the %appdata% branch and therefore also removed old plugins)

When moving an old install to a new Win7 PC this means you are dragging a lot of old and obsolete files along with you. By listing plugins on this support page by using "onefornunz.exe" then it is easier for those of us helping to spot the incompatible item.

http://www.nunzioweb.com/daz/files/O..._Nunz_v5_1.exe

Remember that Winamp has been underdevelopment for over a decade. And in that time various community members have written and then abandoned plugins. Meanwhile, Winamp moves on, and these old plugins fall out of use as the original person who made it is not interested any more (or often the feature is now built into Winamp itself).
Old 29th August 2011, 16:15   #18
CandyManCan

Hi, I've been having this trouble too ever since I installed winamp 5.6 a few weeks ago. I run windows 7 32bit with no plug-ins. It's exactly like the first poster explained: Auto-Tag doesn't work at all whether one file is selected or several. I've installed 5.62 and then 5.581 and the problem is still there unfortunately.

I just want to say though, that I love winamp. I've been using it for 10 years (or more at this stage I think) and on the whole it has only improved over the years. I don't think there's any other program that I've used as long actually, maybe Photoshop. But hopefully there's a solution. Thanks for any help.
Old 1st September 2011, 00:04   #19
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi CandyManCan,

Like you, I have been using Winamp from its beginning. Tried other players, but keep
coming back.

Installing a new version over an old version usually works as long as the gap between
versions is not too big. Bad installs can also occur from time to time for any program.
Try what najarip did, totally uninstall Winamp and install the lastest version, which is
5.621. I use 'Revo Uninstaller'. It is free for 32 bit Windows and does a great job helping
you remove all traces of a program. Just read carefully and follow its instructions.

Good Luck.
Old 15th September 2011, 12:51   #20
CandyManCan

Hey, sorry for my late reply, been very busy recently. I used revo uninstaller and reinstalled the latest winamp. Unfortunately the problem is still there. I will keep using winamp but have to find a new way to auto-tag. Thanks for all your help!
Old 15th September 2011, 14:36   #21
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

@CandyManCan: I don't understand why you would go to a third party uninstall product when you could have had assistance here.

Give us some details of your setup, and we can get you a real clean install.

On your Windows 7 PC, start by UNINSTALL winamp from the normal add\remove programs.
Next got to C:\Program Files\Winamp and make sure that whole folder has been removed.
Next hit START and type %APPDATA% into the search box and open the AppData folder. Usually it opens the Roaming folder. In here, delete the Winamp folder that you will see. (C:\Users\CandyManCan\AppData\Roaming\Winamp)

Now reboot and you are ready for a clean installation. This time when installing, take a careful scroll through the list of stuff winamp is offering to install and make sure it is all ticked. Or, if you are taking things out, make sure you know what you are leaving out (and for the sake of this support question write them down).

The page in the installer offering Winamp Toolbars, etc can be totally deselected as these are add-ons Winamp can do without.

Now you should have a clean, fresh installation. What happens to your PC now?

Edit: A lot of the time this kind of thing has been fixed just by re-running the installation. Often items have been deselected by error.
Old 16th September 2011, 13:37   #22
CandyManCan

@Batter Pudding: If you look at the response I got above, a reinstall was the advice that was given to me after posting here. Notwithstanding that, I had already uninstalled and reinstalled winamp several times before and installed different build versions to no effect.

I did a full uninstall and reinstalled everything bar the extras. The program is able to connect to the internet, but auto-tagger still doesn't work. I'm going to leave it now, I've installed a freeware tag editor which seems to work very well, I'll continue to use winamp though and maybe in future auto-tagger will work again.
Old 17th September 2011, 16:27   #23
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batter Pudding View Post
On your Windows 7 PC, start by UNINSTALL winamp from the normal add\remove programs.
Next got to C:\Program Files\Winamp and make sure that whole folder has been removed.
Next hit START and type %APPDATA% into the search box and open the AppData folder. Usually it opens the Roaming folder. In here, delete the Winamp folder that you will see. (C:\Users\CandyManCan\AppData\Roaming\Winamp)
Hi,

I must point out that this process sometimes leaves stuff in the registry. The stuff left is
usually not important or gets overwritten by the reinstall. But sometimes not. When I do
a 'clean' uninstall, I want everything removed. Revo Uninstaller is one of several apps that
helps me do this.

I otherwise agree with everything else you posted.
Old 6th April 2012, 21:52   #24
jerry wrsmusic

Auto Tag Stopped working after 5.601 pro update

Verify that Windows firewall is not preventing communications with the internet, and that winamp is listed among the Exceptions in windows firewall so that it is being allowed to send and receive with the gracenote site. I had the exact same issue as the first person.
Old 26th June 2012, 18:56   #25
Nirrti

My auto tagger crashes if I am tagging more than a 20 or 30 songs at a time, which is irritating
Old 26th August 2012, 20:30   #26
DaveAM

Downloaded two days ago. Win7 64bit.

Auto-tagger crashes on multiple files.
Old 30th August 2012, 00:09   #27
just4this

Close Winamp
Rename C:\Users\profilename\AppData\Roaming\Winamp\Plugins\Gracenote to .bak
Reopen Winamp
worked for me
Old 6th April 2014, 08:11   #28
extremeunction93

Hey, from explorer, try disabling the "read only" option from the original files that you want to auto-tag...
Old 22nd May 2014, 09:46   #29
xenakis

I have the same problem as OP. When I send to auto-tag, it only completes first item, the others are stuck at "Analyzing".

It worked fine before on Winamp 5.6.1. on Windows 7 x64. Now I have new computer Windows 7 x64, I installed Winamp 5.6.6.6., installed it as full with all the features checked, including libraries. Auto-tag still doesn't work. I tried to re-install and install older 5.6.1. version - same bug.

What can be done with this? Any solution?
Old 22nd May 2014, 09:59   #30
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi xenakis,

See thread linked below for the reason and what is planned going forward.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=377496

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
auto tag, gracenote, match not found