Old 29th April 2011, 20:57   #1
Mathal

Winamp freezes my PC! (when adding a playlist)

Hello,

I have a freeze problem with Winamp (5.61):
As soon as I load a playlist *. m3u, Winamp freezes my PC.
Unable to access anything, I can just move the mouse but no access.
Even Ctrl + Alt + Delete does not work, but then if at the end of several hours, similar to the list, if I leave my PC on all day, it ends up being debugged.
It's a playlist of about 1000 titles, I tried a double click (enqueue by default) and load playlist by the same problem.
I followed the uninstall / reinstall without installing without any Winamp plugin but it's the same result.
A single album works well yet.
Here's the playlist in question:
http://www.cijoint.fr/cjlink.php?fil...cijX98dvQ3.txt

Does anyone have a solution?
Thank you in advance!
Mathal.
Mathal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011, 22:38   #2
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

okay - huge playlist. First - are those tracks still in the same location they used to be? Could it be that Winamp is tripping over because it is looking for files that do not exist?

When I open that playlist, I notice that you have the "demo" Llama tune in there as well as lots of tracks from your "L:" drive. Is your L: drive still on letter L?

That very first track, the Llama one, does not have a valid path. It is missing the C:\ at the front. Try opening your playlist in Notepad and deleteing that LLama entry.

And - another question. Is this just a playlist of everything in your collection? I can see no logic in the connection between tracks. So would it not be easier to make a fresh playlist?

(I am now going to go try to load this playlist into my copy of Winamp to see what it does. Of course, it will not find any of the tracks... but that will answer a few questions for us)
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011, 22:44   #3
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

okay - so how do you load this playlist? I just did a "drag and drop" of that playlist m3u file into my Playlist window and it was happy to load the list up. Instantly. No delay at all.

Could it be that you have some corrupted files in your collection? Have you tried chopping this play list up a bit? You can make smaller files with Notepad to test. Just make sure each file start with that "#EXTM3U" line. Then cut and paste chunks of this playlist in to test.
Old 30th April 2011, 23:27   #4
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Also... plug-ins. Any extra plug-ins in use? Especially ones that try and do things with tracks in the playlist...
Old 30th April 2011, 23:47   #5
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Errr... are you having a laugh? Have you actually looked into that playlist? It is just random tracks in weird orders. Metallica followed by Michael Jackson?

Open the file in Notepad and have a better look.

Most of the tracks are on the L: drive, but keep looking....

What is an amr file? Is that from a dictaphone?

#EXTINF:0,Vocal003
F:\Sounds\Vocal003.amr

You even have videos in there, from completely different drives
#EXTINF:-1,Qui veut gagner des milliards
V:\Documentaires\Qui veut gagner des milliards.avi
#EXTINF:-1,Débat sur les banques
V:\Documentaires\Débat sur les banques.avi

Ahhh... and more madness. And more scattered drives:

#EXTINF:-1,Vocal008 - 21-11-09 à 20H03
M:\Memos\Vocal008 - 21-11-09 à 20H03.amr
#EXTINF:-1,Vocal001 - 12-04-10 à 20H08
M:\Memos\Vocal001 - 12-04-10 à 20H08.amr
#EXTINF:-1,Vocal002 - 12-04-10 à 20H11
M:\Memos\Vocal002 - 12-04-10 à 20H11.amr
#EXTINF:-1,Vocal003 - 12-04-10 à 23H17
M:\Memos\Vocal003 - 12-04-10 à 23H17.amr
#EXTINF:-1,Vocal004 - 12-04-10 à 23H20
M:\Memos\Vocal004 - 12-04-10 à 23H20.amr
#EXTINF:-1,Vocal005 - 14-04-10 à 13H53
M:\Memos\Vocal005 - 14-04-10 à 13H53.amr
#EXTINF:-1,Vocal007 - 22-04-10 à 17H33 - 4or Aziliz - Brouwer
M:\Memos\Vocal007 - 22-04-10 à 17H33 - 4or Aziliz - Brouwer.amr
#EXTINF:14,Bidule pour fêter Arthur (16-04-2010)
Q:\2010\Mars - Avril 2010\Bidule pour fêter Arthur (16-04-2010).mp4

#EXTINF:469,soundpainting.Walter.Thompson
E:\Partitions\Soundpainting\soundpainting.Walter.Thompson.avi

Ah - back at the top... don't know how I missed that first time. A streamed track from the web in between Simon and Garfunkel and Nirvana!!

#EXTINF:137,Simon and Garfunkel - 07 - At The Zoo
L:\Rock Pop\Simon and Garfunkel - [1991] - 20 Greatest Hits\Simon and Garfunkel - 07 - At The Zoo.flac
#EXTINF:-1, (Radio Nova - www.novaplanet.com)
http://broadcast.infomaniak.net:80/radionova-high.mp3
#EXTINF:186,Nirvana - 04 - Dumb (Live Unplugged)
L:\Hard Rock - Métal\Nirvana - [1994] - Unplugged & More\Nirvana - 04 - Dumb (Live Unplugged).mp3

I think your simple answer is - this playlist is just a mess. No logic, no order, and clearly tracks from all kind of sources. I cannot believe someone has a PC with music and video strewn in such a chaotic way. And why would you want to play dictations, videos, streams and documentaries in among disorganised and unrelated music?

I suggest you make a fresh playlist. Or at least just edit this one down to be more logical for your own PC.

Where did you get this from? Did you make it on your PC? Or did someone give you a copy from another source?

If it is from your PC, do you have all those drives mapped at the moment? Are they network or randomly named hard drives? If this is on your PC you may need to make use of the "Remove missing files from the library..." function.
Old 2nd May 2011, 12:37   #6
sofiabrown

Winamp freezes my computer

I would suggest you to organize a clean boot and see if any third party applications are interfering with the normal performance of the player.

To start the clean booting of your computer that is running Windows 7, you need to follow the steps are as follows .

1. Click on Start menu and type msconfig in the Search box, and then press ENTER. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, and type the password or click Continue.
2. From the General tab, click Selective Startup.
Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.
3. Click the Services tab, click to choose the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.
4. Click OK.
5. During the prompting, click on Restart menu.
6. After restarting the computer, check whether the issue is resolved.
sofiabrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 00:58   #7
Mathal

Hello Batter Pudding,

Thank you for your reply, I tried your suggestions but it does not solve the problem.
Here's my new playlist: http://dl.free.fr/f73WhIoy4
On the other hand I have advanced a bit, checking the path of my library I realized that one of my folders were inaccessible from Windows Explorer.
It's very strange: I have a dedicated hard disk to store mp3 (drive L and I can navigate normally in all my folders (for example France, Hard Rock - Metal, Jazz - Soul - Funk, etc. .. .) except in my case Classic.
When I step inside, it opens me a window telling me that the drive L: / is not formatted and asks me if I want to format it!?
I think that's where my problem comes.
It may be that the length of titles and folders containing the mp3 is the cause of this new problem but I do not know how to fix it without losing all this.
Here's what it was like this file: http://dl.free.fr/jJ2YU3rJg
I just change the drive letter (G: is now L.
What do you think, would you know a method that allows me to recover my file without formatting or losing my music?

Thank you in advance
Mathal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batter Pudding View Post
okay - huge playlist. First - are those tracks still in the same location they used to be? Could it be that Winamp is tripping over because it is looking for files that do not exist?
=> Yes It used to work like that before without any problem.

When I open that playlist, I notice that you have the "demo" Llama tune in there as well as lots of tracks from your "L:" drive. Is your L: drive still on letter L?
=> Yes

That very first track, the Llama one, does not have a valid path. It is missing the C:\ at the front. Try opening your playlist in Notepad and deleteing that LLama entry.
=> Done

And - another question. Is this just a playlist of everything in your collection? I can see no logic in the connection between tracks. So would it not be easier to make a fresh playlist?
=> I use to play my mp3 by random, so I installed plugin to remove the titles played, that's why there's no logic between tracks

(I am now going to go try to load this playlist into my copy of Winamp to see what it does. Of course, it will not find any of the tracks... but that will answer a few questions for us)
Quote:
okay - so how do you load this playlist? I just did a "drag and drop" of that playlist m3u file into my Playlist window and it was happy to load the list up. Instantly. No delay at all.
=> I tried "drag and drop" and load button with the same result.

Could it be that you have some corrupted files in your collection? Have you tried chopping this play list up a bit? You can make smaller files with Notepad to test. Just make sure each file start with that "#EXTM3U" line. Then cut and paste chunks of this playlist in to test.
=> Not tried yet.
Quote:
Also... plug-ins. Any extra plug-ins in use? Especially ones that try and do things with tracks in the playlist...
=> After uninstall Winamp, I only installed Winamp Lite, no plugins for the moment
Quote:
Errr... are you having a laugh? Have you actually looked into that playlist? It is just random tracks in weird orders. Metallica followed by Michael Jackson?
=> Random + plugin to remove played titles

Open the file in Notepad and have a better look.

Most of the tracks are on the L: drive, but keep looking....

What is an amr file? Is that from a dictaphone?
=> Yes kind of dictaphone from my Samsung phone

#EXTINF:0,Vocal003
F:\Sounds\Vocal003.amr

You even have videos in there, from completely different drives
#EXTINF:-1,Qui veut gagner des milliards
V:\Documentaires\Qui veut gagner des milliards.avi
#EXTINF:-1,Débat sur les banques
V:\Documentaires\Débat sur les banques.avi

Ahhh... and more madness. And more scattered drives:

#EXTINF:-1,Vocal008 - 21-11-09 à 20H03
M:\Memos\Vocal008 - 21-11-09 à 20H03.amr
#EXTINF:-1,Vocal001 - 12-04-10 à 20H08
M:\Memos\Vocal001 - 12-04-10 à 20H08.amr
#EXTINF:-1,Vocal002 - 12-04-10 à 20H11
M:\Memos\Vocal002 - 12-04-10 à 20H11.amr
#EXTINF:-1,Vocal003 - 12-04-10 à 23H17
M:\Memos\Vocal003 - 12-04-10 à 23H17.amr
#EXTINF:-1,Vocal004 - 12-04-10 à 23H20
M:\Memos\Vocal004 - 12-04-10 à 23H20.amr
#EXTINF:-1,Vocal005 - 14-04-10 à 13H53
M:\Memos\Vocal005 - 14-04-10 à 13H53.amr
#EXTINF:-1,Vocal007 - 22-04-10 à 17H33 - 4or Aziliz - Brouwer
M:\Memos\Vocal007 - 22-04-10 à 17H33 - 4or Aziliz - Brouwer.amr
#EXTINF:14,Bidule pour fêter Arthur (16-04-2010)
Q:\2010\Mars - Avril 2010\Bidule pour fêter Arthur (16-04-2010).mp4

#EXTINF:469,soundpainting.Walter.Thompson
E:\Partitions\Soundpainting\soundpainting.Walter.Thompson.avi

=> OK I deleted all that lines.

Ah - back at the top... don't know how I missed that first time. A streamed track from the web in between Simon and Garfunkel and Nirvana!!

#EXTINF:137,Simon and Garfunkel - 07 - At The Zoo
L:\Rock Pop\Simon and Garfunkel - [1991] - 20 Greatest Hits\Simon and Garfunkel - 07 - At The Zoo.flac
#EXTINF:-1, (Radio Nova - www.novaplanet.com)
http://broadcast.infomaniak.net:80/radionova-high.mp3
#EXTINF:186,Nirvana - 04 - Dumb (Live Unplugged)
L:\Hard Rock - Métal\Nirvana - [1994] - Unplugged & More\Nirvana - 04 - Dumb (Live Unplugged).mp3

I think your simple answer is - this playlist is just a mess. No logic, no order, and clearly tracks from all kind of sources. I cannot believe someone has a PC with music and video strewn in such a chaotic way. And why would you want to play dictations, videos, streams and documentaries in among disorganised and unrelated music?

I suggest you make a fresh playlist. Or at least just edit this one down to be more logical for your own PC.

Where did you get this from? Did you make it on your PC? Or did someone give you a copy from another source?

If it is from your PC, do you have all those drives mapped at the moment? Are they network or randomly named hard drives? If this is on your PC you may need to make use of the "Remove missing files from the library..." function.
=> I will try this way soon ! Can I found it in the preferences Ctrl+P ?
Old 11th May 2011, 01:02   #8
Mathal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofiabrown View Post
I would suggest you to organize a clean boot and see if any third party applications are interfering with the normal performance of the player.

To start the clean booting of your computer that is running Windows 7, you need to follow the steps are as follows .

1. Click on Start menu and type msconfig in the Search box, and then press ENTER. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, and type the password or click Continue.
2. From the General tab, click Selective Startup.
Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.
3. Click the Services tab, click to choose the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.
4. Click OK.
5. During the prompting, click on Restart menu.
6. After restarting the computer, check whether the issue is resolved.
Hello sofiabrown,
Thanks for answering, I would try it but I'm under XP not Windows 7
Mathal.
Old 11th May 2011, 10:40   #9
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathal View Post
It's very strange: I have a dedicated hard disk to store mp3 (drive L and I can navigate normally in all my folders (for example France, Hard Rock - Metal, Jazz - Soul - Funk, etc. .. .) except in my case Classic.
When I step inside, it opens me a window telling me that the drive L: / is not formatted and asks me if I want to format it!?
I think that's where my problem comes.
It sounds like your external hard disk is failing. Or at least corrupted.

If this is the only place you have your music stored, I would buy a second external hard disk and copy your music to it before it is too late.

If the classical folder is corrupted, then I would not be surprised at odd\crashy behaviour from Winamp.

Once you have copied all your tracks to a new drive, I would then carefully do a "scan for errors" on the disk that is failing.

You could try just doing a "scan for errors" on that disk before backing up, but from experience, I find it is best to back up the good tunes first as I have had some hard disks fail on me during scandisk.
Old 11th May 2011, 13:26   #10
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

A quick PS....

If the music files in your playlist were not available, or winamp just could not find them, it would just skip to the next track. I see this happen on my own playlists when I forget to connect to my server.

BUT... when winamp loads a playlist, it tries to open each track in turn and update the text in the playlist window with the MP3 tags instead of just the raw file name. IMHO it is this reason why you are seeing a crash. I assume the crash happens as Winamp tries to read the corrupted MP3 tracks in that corrupted classic folder.

To test my crashing theory...
* open Preferences (CTRL+P)
* Go to TITLES section
* Change the Metadata Reading to "Read metadata only when file(s) are played"

Now open that playlist. It should just stay as file names until you start playing the tracks. And I assume this will now mean no crashing until a corrupted file gets played.
Old 11th May 2011, 22:12   #11
Mathal

Quote:
It sounds like your external hard disk is failing. Or at least corrupted.
If this is the only place you have your music stored, I would buy a second external hard disk and copy your music to it before it is too late.
If the classical folder is corrupted, then I would not be surprised at odd\crashy behaviour from Winamp.
Once you have copied all your tracks to a new drive, I would then carefully do a "scan for errors" on the disk that is failing.
You could try just doing a "scan for errors" on that disk before backing up, but from experience, I find it is best to back up the good tunes first as I have had some hard disks fail on me during scandisk.
Well I started to back up my mp3s, I first wanted to make a copy of the hard disk with Partition Magic, but I got an error message:
Error 122 while executing Batch
Error 122 Bad Sector WAS A Found in the current partition or new aera. Th operation Can not Be Performed Safely. No changes Were made​​.

So I am trying to copy each folder manually in Windows Explorer ... but long I 160GB.
I tried to do error checking on the disk but it did not work, I got this message back:

I'll open a topic to try to recover my file is missing, but if I have any format I prefer to make backups indeed.
Do you know a software or a way to do this?

Quote:
A quick PS....
If the music files in your playlist were not available, or winamp just could not find them, it would just skip to the next track. I see this happen on my own playlists when I forget to connect to my server.
BUT... when winamp loads a playlist, it tries to open each track in turn and update the text in the playlist window with the MP3 tags instead of just the raw file name. IMHO it is this reason why you are seeing a crash. I assume the crash happens as Winamp tries to read the corrupted MP3 tracks in that corrupted classic folder.
To test my crashing theory...
* open Preferences (CTRL+P)
* Go to TITLES section
* Change the Metadata Reading to "Read metadata only when file(s) are played"
Now open that playlist. It should just stay as file names until you start playing the tracks. And I assume this will now mean no crashing until a corrupted file gets played.
Unfortunately no, I had already thought Winamp was loading the metadata tags or mp3 from the playlist as a result I already try this in the preferences but the same result:

Old 12th May 2011, 10:20   #12
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

This does now make sense. The hard disk is failing. And your best route is to copy what can be saved to a new hard disk. You are not going to be able do a "backup", this has to be done manually now. The more you use the disk, the more it will likely fail.

Once you have backed up the data you can reach safely, I have a few ideas of programs that may help. But from experience, once a disk starts to fails like yours is, there is not much that can be done to recover that broken part of the hard disk. Most backups and clones will fail as they expect the disk to be in a usable state - which yours is not. File recovery will not get far as there are no files now to recover in those corrupted areas.

There is an old saying in the UK - "Never put all your eggs in one basket". This translates into the modern computer world as "never keep all your files in one place". Once you have saved your music, you may want to think about those photos, etc.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support