• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • frnzy
    • Jan 2007

[OT] Rockbox

Achim,
    I realize this is off topic, but I figure you'd be someone that could give a realistic estimate.

I've considered toying around with Rockbox for ipod (as well as picking up a cheap Toshiba Gigabeat that can also use Rockbox.)

For the most part, the Rockbox tag database supports the same basic information as the ipod database, and can use various query strings to sort music based on that info. How nontrivial would you estimate the work involved to retrofit ml_ipod code to read an entirely different (and probably simpler) database structure?

Thanks for answering this random question.
  • abu
    mlipod moderator
    (Senior Member)
    • Jun 2005

I wouldn't dare
    Actually, the Rockbox database is no interface, it is not designed to be read by anything else than Rockbox code itself. This is very different to the iTunesDB, which is designed to be an interface between iTunes and the iPod firmware. Rockbox reads the ID3 tags from the files, and builds the database itself.

Basically, it would be possible to upload tracks with ml_ipod, and then Rockbox would build up the database internally. No nice things like playlists, SPLs, etc... though!

Changin the ml_ipod code to handle the database files would be a nightmare. At least 3 weeks of full time work...
    WinAmp Pro 5.5 with ml_iPod 3.10 + dev.patches (download it)
    ml_iPod documentation Wiki - ml_iPod FAQ - search ml_iPod forum - iPhone/iTouch - Found a bug?
    Donations to support the ml_iPod project can be done HERE

Comment

• frnzy
      • Jan 2007

Ah well. I had pictured setting the database to not "Auto Update" on the player, and then just let the winamp plugin handle everything. I know there'd be other issues across the board too, but I was mostly thinking of the database to start with.

If it was reasonably modularized, where the database parsing/rewriting/etc could be swapped in, I might have gone for it solely to try and learn something/get something workable. Wishful thinking I suppose.

Thanks for your input.

Comment

• abu
        mlipod moderator
        (Senior Member)
        • Jun 2005

Originally posted by frnzy
        If it was reasonably modularized...
        ROFL!!! The code is a mess!
        WinAmp Pro 5.5 with ml_iPod 3.10 + dev.patches (download it)
        ml_iPod documentation Wiki - ml_iPod FAQ - search ml_iPod forum - iPhone/iTouch - Found a bug?
        Donations to support the ml_iPod project can be done HERE

Comment

Working...
        X